Rank the Roster 2020: #17

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 25 May 2020 07:53

Jamaal Williams
5%
Billy Turner
No votes
Alan Lazard
32%
Devin Funchess
5%
Dean Lowry
No votes
Oren Burks
No votes
Chandon Sullivan
5%
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
No votes
Equanimeous St. Brown
No votes
Rashan Gary
47%
AJ Dillon
No votes
Ka'Dar Hollman
No votes
Kingsley Keke
No votes
Raven Greene
No votes
Robert Tonyan
No votes
Josiah Deguara
5%
Jon Runyan
No votes
Tyler Lancaster
No votes

Total votes: 19

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm confused by the distinction of "he's a small TE/big slot" meaning he isn't a WR or won't play a role.

I agree that I am also kinda down on Funchess as any sort of dynamic addition to the room, but MLF has a history of operating his offense with larger, slower slot WRs. He has a very similar set of skills to Geronimo Allison. Allison also has a low catch rate; I have said earlier i need to see more about Funchess to understand the disparity between his drop rate and his catch rate--his drop rate has had bad years, but has improved somewhat. But his catch rate is no better. Are those off-target throws? Passes defensed? Failure to win contested catches despite his apparent size advantage? I don't know.

But to assume that everyone in the WR group is going to beat out the guy we chose to add to the room seems like a stretch. I would expect Funchess to be our primary "big slot" role which fills in some for Graham and some for Allison, which is a good-sized role. I could see EQSB eating into some big slot snaps and some WR2 snaps. I think EQ is better than Lazard, but it might take time to prove himself without a full offseason.

To me, having EQ, Lazard, and Funchess sorta rotate through the #2/big slot roles, with MVS sprinkled in as a deep threat and Kumerow being an injury failsafe and STer is the realistic usage I see for the season, which is why it's quite difficult to rank them and decide upon a role.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 May 2020 11:04
I'm confused by the distinction of "he's a small TE/big slot" meaning he isn't a WR or won't play a role.

I agree that I am also kinda down on Funchess as any sort of dynamic addition to the room, but MLF has a history of operating his offense with larger, slower slot WRs. He has a very similar set of skills to Geronimo Allison. Allison also has a low catch rate; I have said earlier i need to see more about Funchess to understand the disparity between his drop rate and his catch rate--his drop rate has had bad years, but has improved somewhat. But his catch rate is no better. Are those off-target throws? Passes defensed? Failure to win contested catches despite his apparent size advantage? I don't know.

But to assume that everyone in the WR group is going to beat out the guy we chose to add to the room seems like a stretch. I would expect Funchess to be our primary "big slot" role which fills in some for Graham and some for Allison, which is a good-sized role. I could see EQSB eating into some big slot snaps and some WR2 snaps. I think EQ is better than Lazard, but it might take time to prove himself without a full offseason.

To me, having EQ, Lazard, and Funchess sorta rotate through the #2/big slot roles, with MVS sprinkled in as a deep threat and Kumerow being an injury failsafe and STer is the realistic usage I see for the season, which is why it's quite difficult to rank them and decide upon a role.
I agree, Lazard showed, even with his limited athletic quick's to be the best prospect to take the #2 position, but even saying that I find it impossible to know how these players will shake out, we barely know who Funchess is, I'd bet NO one here has seen him play more then a few complete games, and simply projecting the future of a player based on a spread sheet has probably cost at least a few GM's there jobs, what we do know is that he played well enough prior to the broken collar bone to be given 8 mil. annual to keep playing like that, and all I know is only injury stopped him from actually earning that money, and it may still be a issue, but we wont know that till he starts to play.

and all reports I've read said Funchess plays faster then he times, a trait necessary at slot receiver, he started with a higher floor then everyone we have minus Adams, I have to give that a plus in any evaluation, I really liked the signing, he'll play faster then Graham, and I think he'll be more consistent then Allison, his drops seem to come in bunches, and imo drops are correctable, at least to a extent with most players, we got him cheap, if he rebounds from the injury then we did very well.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
I see a fine line in that he CAN play some of those snaps, but he's not a guy you want as your #2 on the boundary without other options. I think he uses his body so well and with Aaron as his QB, he can do a lot of things on the boundary that will play to his strengths, but I think his main strengths place him the in the middle more, so I guess we'll see.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
25 May 2020 14:49
YoHoChecko wrote:
I see a fine line in that he CAN play some of those snaps, but he's not a guy you want as your #2 on the boundary without other options. I think he uses his body so well and with Aaron as his QB, he can do a lot of things on the boundary that will play to his strengths, but I think his main strengths place him the in the middle more, so I guess we'll see.
He could be effective, I agree. But will he?

There are several possible reasons for such a bad catch rate:
#1. He is not where his QB expects him to be. How is that going to play with AR?
#2. He can't get separation and the QB has a very small window to throw to. How is that going to play with AR?
#3. He has poor hands or catches too often with his body resulting in drops. How is that going to play with AR?
#4 It is all Cam Newton's fault.
#5. Watch this, you tell me:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

who knows why he failed to break the route off once he saw the double coverage, however that he drew double coverage is a plus to me.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
I guess all I'm saying is: since when is a slot receiver not a wide receiver? A TE who lined up in the slot more than he does in line is the anomaly. A large WR who lined up in the slot isn't magically "a TE" now.

I agree that I don't want him spending much time on the boundary. His strength is over the middle. He's a possession/slot receiver.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
26 May 2020 01:05
NCF wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
He could be effective, I agree. But will he?

There are several possible reasons for such a bad catch rate:
#1. He is not where his QB expects him to be. How is that going to play with AR?
#2. He can't get separation and the QB has a very small window to throw to. How is that going to play with AR?
#3. He has poor hands or catches too often with his body resulting in drops. How is that going to play with AR?
#4 It is all Cam Newton's fault.
You watch this, and you tell me.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheSkeptic wrote:
26 May 2020 01:05
Honestly confused; that's a really bad throw behind him toward the safety.

Like, yeah, could he have won that contested catch situation? Yes. But the throw stunk. This doesn't make a very clear point on your side.