Rank the Roster 2024: #27

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the next two best players on the Packers

Poll ended at 13 Jun 2024 20:00

AJ Dillon
7%
TJ Slaton
14%
Kingsley Enagbare
7%
MarShawn Lloyd
25%
Karl Brooks
25%
Sean Rhyan
18%
Colby Wooden
4%
Ty'Ron Hopper
No votes
Evan Williams
No votes
Andre Dillard
No votes
Sean Clifford
No votes
Isaiah McDuffie
No votes
Royce Newman
No votes
Jacob Monk
No votes
Kitan Oladapo
No votes
Travis Glover
No votes
Tyler Davis
No votes
Malik Heath
No votes
Anthony Johnson Jr
No votes
Eric Wilson
No votes

Total votes: 28

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Jun 2024 09:57
Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Jun 2024 09:23
Yoop wrote:
14 Jun 2024 09:14

a 40 front does not eliminate the NT, in a 40 front typically you'll have at least 1 in a 2 gap set, meaning head up on the center
With 4 down lineman (4-3, 4-2, or 4-1) the NT isn't eliminated but you would never see a 0 technique, head up the center.
it's a 4 player to 5 gap deal, someone has to 2 gap, now he may shade the shoulder, but he is not single gapping unless it is a pure run down.
A 1 is different than a 0. It was specifically said a 0 or head up the center. That just doesn't happen in 4-3, 4-2 or 4-1. In those alignments the defensive lineman would 2 gap from a 2, head up the guard, not a 0, head up the center. In a 4-3 and 4-2 a defense can play a 1 gap style across the board.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Jun 2024 09:53
APB wrote:
14 Jun 2024 09:32
Pckfn23 wrote:

With 4 down lineman (4-3, 4-2, or 4-1) the NT isn't eliminated but you would never see a 0 technique, head up the center.
I hate speaking in absolutes so I'd rephrase your "never" to "very rarely" but, yeah, agree completely.
I thought about not using that word too, but you would honestly never schematically line up a defender head up the center with 4 defensive lineman. The numbers for the defense wouldn't work out and you would have 1 lineman trying to defend an entire side of the line. Let's say you are planning to play a 1 gap scheme and just want the NT to take the single A gap. You still wouldn't align him at a 0 as it gives an unnecessary advantage to the center.

ya know why people don't speak in absolutes on a message board? it's not a lack of conviction, it's because someone will come in and point out the miniscule times when they could be wrong

almost always (hows that) someone on a 40 front will be assigned 2 gaps, thats because there are only 4 players on the line in a 40 front to defend 6 gaps, I may be wrong about zero tech face up, but not about the assignment part.

and I watched Jenkins and Green on the nose in those 40 fronts plenty

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Jun 2024 10:05
Pckfn23 wrote:
APB wrote:
14 Jun 2024 09:32

I hate speaking in absolutes so I'd rephrase your "never" to "very rarely" but, yeah, agree completely.
I thought about not using that word too, but you would honestly never schematically line up a defender head up the center with 4 defensive lineman. The numbers for the defense wouldn't work out and you would have 1 lineman trying to defend an entire side of the line. Let's say you are planning to play a 1 gap scheme and just want the NT to take the single A gap. You still wouldn't align him at a 0 as it gives an unnecessary advantage to the center.

ya know why people don't speak in absolutes on a message board? it's not a lack of conviction, it's because someone will come in and point out the miniscule times when they could be wrong

almost always (hows that) someone on a 40 front will be assigned 2 gaps, thats because there are only 4 players on the line in a 40 front to defend 6 gaps, I may be wrong about zero tech face up, but not about the assignment part.

I didn't disagree to the 2 gap... I specifically addressed the 0 technique, head up the center. That doesn't happen in an even front.

You did not watch Jenkins and Green play a 0 plenty.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 14 Jun 2024 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

it's a 4 player to 5 gap deal, someone has to 2 gap, now he may shade the shoulder, but he is not single gapping unless it is a pure run down.
A 1 is different than a 0. It was specifically said a 0 or head up the center. That just doesn't happen in 4-3, 4-2 or 4-1. In those alignments the defensive lineman would 2 gap from a 2, head up the guard, not a 0, head up the center. In a 4-3 and 4-2 a defense can play a 1 gap style across the board.
you have no idea where the 2 gapper will line up, could be on the g or the center, the whole point is that they rarely ever line all 4 in the gaps

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Jun 2024 10:09
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

you have no idea where the 2 gapper will line up, could be on the g or the center, the whole point is that they rarely ever line all 4 in the gaps
I know it would not be head up the center, not with 4 down lineman.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Jun 2024 10:08
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

I didn't disagree to the 2 gap... I specifically addressed the 0 technique, head up the center. That doesn't happen in an even front.

yes it does, and when I have some time I'll dig up proof that it does, we used unbalanced 40 front plenty 20 years ago with Green, Gilbert etc lining right on the nose of the center

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Jun 2024 10:13
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

yes it does, and when I have some time I'll dig up proof that it does, we used unbalanced 40 front plenty 20 years ago with Green, Gilbert etc lining right on the nose of the center
It doesn't. Green and Gilbert didn't play a 0 plenty, 20 years ago when we were playing 4 down linemen.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Dillon better get really good at STs, really quick.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Jun 2024 10:15
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

It doesn't. Green and Gilbert didn't play a 0 plenty, 20 years ago when we were playing 4 down linemen.
ya they did, my confusion is probably due to Shurmer switching back and forth at times with hybrid 34 and 43 schemes, with Brown at nt in 0 tech on the center, it did happen, go rewatch our loss to denver in that SB, lots of 34 hybrid, which often looks identical to a 40 front

and the same thing is likely to happen with Hafley, it's all about the numbers, there is to often not enough players to fill every gap, you wait and see.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Jun 2024 10:54
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

ya they did, my confusion is probably due to Shurmer switching back and forth at times with hybrid 34 and 43 schemes, with Brown at nt in 0 tech on the center, it did happen, go rewatch our loss to denver in that SB, lots of 34 hybrid, which often looks identical to a 40 front

and the same thing is likely to happen with Hafley, it's all about the numbers, there is to often not enough players to fill every gap, you wait and see.
When playing in an even front/4 man front, we did not play a 0. Schematically it doesn't work. It puts the defense at a disadvantage to the side with only 1 Edge. I am not and have not been talking about a 5 man front. I don't care about a 3-4 hybrid or any other scheme that employs an odd front/5 man front. I am SPECIFICALLY addressing this statement, "in a 40 front typically you'll have at least 1 in a 2 gap set, meaning head up on the center."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Packers Wire with an article on TJ Slaton

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2024/0 ... 23-season/

"Consider this: According to Pro Football Focus, Slaton was the second-highest graded defensive lineman when aligning in a one-technique position during the 2023 season. Generally speaking, a one-technique is lined up directly across from or shaded slightly to one side of the center.

The top graded player? Dexter Lawrence of the New York Giants at 88.4.
TJ Slaton was second at 82.5.

The one-technique usually commands a double team from the center and guard and is a key player in the run defense front.

Per PFF, Slaton played 679 snaps last season. He produced 16 pressures as a pass-rusher and 35 stops against the run. His run stop percentage (9.5) was the highest on the Packers defense."
IT. IS. TIME

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I think Slayton is turning into a fine player, hence my confusion how he's still being ranked against players I don't think are anywhere near where he has played with some not having played a snap already on the official "roster". He's been good and not many of us have noticed it seems.

a big guy that can hold a double team and can penetrate and shed blocks will have a place on any defense. He's pretty good at it for a young guy already.
Last edited by musclestang on 14 Jun 2024 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BSA wrote:
14 Jun 2024 11:48

"Consider this: According to Pro Football Focus, Slaton was the second-highest graded defensive lineman when aligning in a one-technique position during the 2023 season. Generally speaking, a one-technique is lined up directly across from or shaded slightly to one side of the center.

The one-technique usually commands a double team from the center and guard and is a key player in the run defense front.

Per PFF, Slaton played 679 snaps last season. He produced 16 pressures as a pass-rusher and 35 stops against the run. His run stop percentage (9.5) was the highest on the Packers defense."
That definition of a 1 technique is wrong. Lining up directly across from the center is a 0. A 1 technique is a shade to either side of the center.

That said, from the same article: "Slaton playing more one-technique should give the likes of Clark, Wyatt and Brooks more opportunities to get up field and disrupt as three-techniques."
I think Slaton looks to benefit the most from this transition.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 14 Jun 2024 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Jun 2024 11:20
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

When playing in an even front/4 man front, we did not play a 0. Schematically it doesn't work. It puts the defense at a disadvantage to the side with only 1 Edge. I am not and have not been talking about a 5 man front. I don't care about a 3-4 hybrid or any other scheme that employs an odd front/5 man front. I am SPECIFICALLY addressing this statement, "in a 40 front typically you'll have at least 1 in a 2 gap set, meaning head up on the center."
if you don't think you'll see Slaton head up on the center in a hafley front, just PM me I'll wager you we do, put some money where your mouth is.

this is what you always do, look for any comment that isn't spot on perfect and rip everything apart, well heres your chance to back it up.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Jun 2024 11:56
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

if you don't think you'll see Slaton head up on the center in a hafley front, just PM me I'll wager you we do, put some money where your mouth is.

this is what you always do, look for any comment that isn't spot on perfect and rip everything apart, well heres your chance to back it up.
I didn't say that did I??? :roll:

I simply said that in a 4 man front you never see a NT head up/in a 0 technique. The biggest reason you don't see it is because it leaves a HUGE gap in the front between the nose at a 0 and edge, at tightest, a 4. Gives leverage to the lineman.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 14 Jun 2024 12:05, edited 2 times in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Jun 2024 11:54
BSA wrote:
14 Jun 2024 11:48

That definition of a 1 technique is wrong. Lining up directly across from the center is a 0. A 1 technique is a shade to either side of the center.

That said, from the same article: "Slaton playing more one-technique should give the likes of Clark, Wyatt and Brooks more opportunities to get up field and disrupt as three-techniques."
I think Slaton looks to benefit the most from this transition.
and he'll be nose to freaking nose with the center..
seriously now do you actually think nfl DC's pay strict attention to that chart, just because you do as a HS coach doesn't mean they do, your well read 23, good for you.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Jun 2024 12:01
seriously now do you actually think nfl DC's pay strict attention to that chart, just because you do as a HS coach doesn't mean they do, your well read 23, good for you.
Slaton might be, but it won't be in a 4 man front.

Yes, in numbering techniques we know NFL DCs adhere to this naming convention. We hear it all the time in their pressers.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Jun 2024 12:00
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

I simply said that in a 4 man front you never see a NT head up/in a 0 technique. I am trying to educate you. The biggest reason you don't see it is because it leaves a HUGE gap in the front between the nose at a 0 and edge, at tightest, a 4.
quit saying NEVER, Quit speaking in absolutes, because we both know never does not exist in the nfl, did you go back and watch what Shurmer did to deal with trying to stop denver in that SB.

and the reason I said hybrid 34, 43 is because those hybrids make up 80% of nfl defenses and have for ages

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Jun 2024 12:03
Yoop wrote:
14 Jun 2024 12:01
Slaton might be, but it won't be in a 4 man front.

Yes, in numbering techniques we know NFL DCs adhere to this naming convention. We hear it all the time in their pressers.
no, you don't hear that either, we hear more about individual usage, such as we put clark over here, or Slaton in zero tech, and that kind of thing, no one(that I can think of) does any one thing strictly, they use a over or under hybrid, they use strong to one side or the other, and just because a nose lines up off shoulder does not mean he is single gapping.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Jun 2024 12:06
Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Jun 2024 12:00
Yoop wrote:

I simply said that in a 4 man front you never see a NT head up/in a 0 technique. I am trying to educate you. The biggest reason you don't see it is because it leaves a HUGE gap in the front between the nose at a 0 and edge, at tightest, a 4.
quit saying NEVER, Quit speaking in absolutes, because we both know never does not exist in the nfl, did you go back and watch what Shurmer did to deal with trying to stop denver in that SB.

and the reason I said hybrid 34, 43 is because those hybrids make up 80% of nfl defenses and have for ages
Show my proof that Shurmer employed a 0 in a 4 man front. I can't find any proof of that claim.

Not what you said and not what I am addressing. This is what you said: "a 40 front does not eliminate the NT, in a 40 front typically you'll have at least 1 in a 2 gap set, meaning head up on the center."