Cuts and stuff

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Says that expect Clifford to be back on the PS, not Pratt.
https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/packers- ... j6adh13zef
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
27 Aug 2024 12:48
That is wild to me. I understand the Week 1 gamesmanship thing, but not giving up on Pratt entirely.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
27 Aug 2024 12:03
lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Aug 2024 12:02
Sad to see Welch go. I felt like he earned his way onto this team.
Hope we are able to sign him to the PS.
Yeah I want this guy around; ST and defense.

Honestly Hopper was probably the 6th best LB in camp this offseason but obviously they have bigger aspirations for him as a 3rd round pick to develop.

Also, we had a guy on the team named Messiah? I really didn't pay as much attention to like 75 through 90 on this roster as I usually do. Some of these names don't even sound familiar.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
27 Aug 2024 12:49
paco wrote:
That is wild to me. I understand the Week 1 gamesmanship thing, but not giving up on Pratt entirely.
Maybe they anticipate Pratt being claimed? EDIT: just read the link and nevermind; they addressed that specifically

I dunno. Very weird to me, as well.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Haven't seen this posted yet:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Aug 2024 12:52
NCF wrote:
27 Aug 2024 12:49
paco wrote:
Maybe they anticipate Pratt being claimed?

I dunno. Very weird to me, as well.
It's Huber so..... But they said they don't expect either to get claimed. So the preference of Clifford over Pratt is perplexing. Unless he's that much better of a scout team guy or clipboard holder for Love.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Another one where my initial reaction was...who?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Released so far:

Samori Toure (Schefter)
Caleb Jones (Schneidman)
Anders Carlson (Pelissero)
Joel Wilson (Wood)
Jalen Wayne (Wood)
Luke Tenuta (Huber)
Messiah Swinson (Wood)
Julian Hicks (Huber)
Dimitri Stanley (Wilson)
Nate McCrary (Wood)
Chris Russell (Wood)
Kristian Welch (Huber)
Deslin Alexandre (Schneidman)
Sean Clifford (Huber/RapSheet)
Michael Pratt (Pelissero)
James Ester (Wood)

Malik Heath has made the team per Matt Schneidman.

Huber also notes Julian Hicks will be back on p/s.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Well, Glover on the 53. I lost that argument

But Telfort, too. I like that one

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Our favorite blogger said Glover graded out about neutral and had some wow moments. They're not gonna cut that in Year 1 if they can help it. I feel like we carry a redshirt developmental OL almost every year.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

So judging by the "made the roster" tweets, it sounds like we may have some upcoming surprises. Can't keep them all and, by many accounts, most of us didn't have Heath, Telfort, or Glover on their predicted rosters.

So who is gonna be the surprise cuts?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
27 Aug 2024 13:48
So judging by the "made the roster" tweets, it sounds like we may have some upcoming surprises. Can't keep them all and, by many accounts, most of us didn't have Heath, Telfort, or Glover on their predicted rosters.

So who is gonna be the surprise cuts?
I think Glover, Telfort, Dillard at OT were sorta close; people with 9 OL had 2 of the 3; people with 10 OL had all 3 generally from what I've seen

Heath was sort of a 50/50 thing with DuBose or a 2 of the 3 with DuBose and Melton. I suppose Melton would still qualify as a surprise cut if he goes

I think a lot of people kept a 6th ILB with Welch so his release frees up a spot. A lot of people kept 3 QBs, so Pratt was already a bit of a surprise release, as most had concluded he's better than Clifford.

So I'm not sure there's too much surprise coming. The bubble guys are the bubble guys, but the Packers seem to lean toward different bubble players than a lot of fans might have thought. But I think the Packers blogosphere generally is gonna do ok. Probably only a couple misses.

BUT per your question: Potential surprises could still come at CB if King or Ballentine are cut. At safety if AJJ gets cut or Zayne Anderson makes it for STs. At RB if AJ Dillon does an injury settlement instead of IR or nothing. At TE if Sims goes (which would surprise me but not in a meaningful way)

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
27 Aug 2024 13:58
I remember specifically posting in a draft day thread that Royce Newman better be good because Kenny Gainwell was surprisingly still available and that was the pick that could have been him.

Newman did not do enough to validate my draft day objection to him. But neither did Kenny Gainwell do enough at RB for me to care very much.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I saw a few Kickers cut so far. The only name I recognize is Riley Patterson.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Aug 2024 13:40
Well, Glover on the 53. I lost that argument

But Telfort, too. I like that one
I wasn't big on Telfort earlier in camp, but thought he played his way onto the roster in the last two games. Glover, an upside OL that was a current Gutey DP, you just knew he wasn't going anywhere, especially when he played fairly well the last two games. Still getting used to these newer roster rules, but as @BSA pointed out, OL is trash around the league. We should have done a better job assuming the Packers would protect more players here than at positions where you can find guys on the street that can come in and contribute more immediately.

Read More. Post Less.

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Aug 2024 12:51
Also, we had a guy on the team named Messiah? I really didn't pay as much attention to like 75 through 90 on this roster as I usually do. Some of these names don't even sound familiar.
Messiah was my favorite training camp guy, even though there was close to 0% chance of making the team. Loved the name, loved his demeanor as he headed over to practice every morning.
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff