Free agency - signings and news around the league

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Geronimo gets a vet-minimum deal for 1 year.

I guess the expectations they have for him aren’t really very high.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

NCF wrote:
27 Mar 2020 20:37
paco wrote:
27 Mar 2020 19:43
Related to Cobb signing, sort of.... Holy hell was our strength and conditioning staff useless.
James Palmer
@JamesPalmerTV
Interesting nugget out of Randall Cobb’s conference call. He said last year when he got to Dallas, they told him, and it was for the first time in his career, he had really weak hamstrings. They worked to strengthen them and he felt the best he hasd in 5-6 years.
2:12 PM · Mar 27, 2020·TweetDeck
@wallyuwl How can this happen? In this day and age why can medical information differ so greatly from one team to another and why are we never on the positive side of these things?
If random non-professional athletes at the gym can isolate and strengthen specific muscles why can't Randall Cobb? I wanted to improve hamstring strength (as well as general leg strength) so I targeted them with hamstring curls, squatting, high foot placement leg pressing, etc, I didn't need my employer to tell me.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

Willink wrote:
29 Mar 2020 15:30
NCF wrote:
paco wrote:
Related to Cobb signing, sort of.... Holy hell was our strength and conditioning staff useless.
@wallyuwl How can this happen? In this day and age why can medical information differ so greatly from one team to another and why are we never on the positive side of these things?
If random non-professional athletes at the gym can isolate and strengthen specific muscles why can't Randall Cobb? I wanted to improve hamstring strength (as well as general leg strength) so I targeted them with hamstring curls, squatting, high foot placement leg pressing, etc, I didn't need my employer to tell me.
Sure, but it makes you wonder about the general philosophy of the Packers training staff. They should be on the cutting edge of physical fitness, not catching up or ignoring sports science.

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

Good riddance to Geronimo!!

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Willink wrote:
NCF wrote:
paco wrote:
Could this be just like Graham saying he's the fastest he's ever been?

I'm not buying it.

(And I think our strength and conditioning does suck)
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We'll start with veteran wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders telling "The Rich Eisen Show" that Green Bay and its frigid weather were major factors in his free-agency decision to dismiss a three-year overture from the Packers in favor of a two-year deal with the New Orleans Saints.

Asked whether he chose Drew Brees over Aaron Rodgers, Sanders said, "I don't have a problem with Aaron Rodgers. It’s just Green Bay, that cold weather, Rich, I wasn’t trying to do it, man” Sanders said.

“To be in a dome 12 games out of a year in a pass-heavy offense or go to Green Bay? I can’t do it. I’d rather go to New Orleans. I’m from the South. My grandma is six hours away, can come to all the games. I can have my family drive up. It was just a perfect opportunity for me.”
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sport ... 935838001/
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Mar 2020 17:09
We'll start with veteran wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders telling "The Rich Eisen Show" that Green Bay and its frigid weather were major factors in his free-agency decision to dismiss a three-year overture from the Packers in favor of a two-year deal with the New Orleans Saints.

Asked whether he chose Drew Brees over Aaron Rodgers, Sanders said, "I don't have a problem with Aaron Rodgers. It’s just Green Bay, that cold weather, Rich, I wasn’t trying to do it, man” Sanders said.

“To be in a dome 12 games out of a year in a pass-heavy offense or go to Green Bay? I can’t do it. I’d rather go to New Orleans. I’m from the South. My grandma is six hours away, can come to all the games. I can have my family drive up. It was just a perfect opportunity for me.”
It's getting better since guys like Woodson, and now the Smiths. But it's always going to be an issue for some. Cold, is a dumb excuse. Not as much if you go to a dome, but if a guy picks New England instead. But the small town thing will continue to be an issue. Uphill battle to get some guys.
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

paco wrote:
31 Mar 2020 19:35
Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Mar 2020 17:09

It's getting better since guys like Woodson, and now the Smiths. But it's always going to be an issue for some. Cold, is a dumb excuse. Not as much if you go to a dome, but if a guy picks New England instead. But the small town thing will continue to be an issue. Uphill battle to get some guys.
Woodson came because no one wanted him. The Smiths came because we offered the most. Graham probably came because no one wanted him and we foolishly offered the most.

No one wants to come to GB. If they had their choice pay and playtime aside they aren’t choosing GB.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I meant more of Woodson after he was here. He came to like it so much, he's helped spread the word about it's good points around the league.
RIP JustJeff

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I don't get why people think Emmanuel Sanders is good. He keeps getting a spotlight shone on him for being some sort of desirable FA or trade target (including last season during the year). He's like barely above average.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Willink wrote:
NCF wrote:
paco wrote:
maybe most players just go by the off season programs the trainers set them up to adhere to, possibly in our case our training staff doesn't do that, or the programs are very generic, it got my attention when Eddie Lacy was allowed to gain weight two years straight, the second time well over 20 lbs. imho thats very poor over sight.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
01 Apr 2020 03:11
I don't get why people think Emmanuel Sanders is good. He keeps getting a spotlight shone on him for being some sort of desirable FA or trade target (including last season during the year). He's like barely above average.
well, what makes you think the league is stock pilled with above average WR talent, Sanders being above average would be the #2 for at least a 1/2 doz teams including ours. :)

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

paco wrote:
29 Mar 2020 11:24
Geronimo is a Lion.
Packers should breathe a sigh of relief on this. Good for at least 1 fumble next season when we play them. Put a LB on him and tell them to always go for the ball, if he doesn't drop the pass and they miss the tackle no biggie, they can run him down from behind and then strip the ball.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
01 Apr 2020 06:00
texas wrote:
well, what makes you think the league is stock pilled with above average WR talent, Sanders being above average would be the #2 for at least a 1/2 doz teams including ours. :)
Yeah. And we offered him a 3 year contract over New Orleans 2 year contract. We also offered a contract to Allen Robinson two years ago and he took the Bears offer instead. We have tried to get WRs in GB.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
01 Apr 2020 11:25
Yoop wrote:
texas wrote:
Yeah. And we offered him a 3 year contract over New Orleans 2 year contract. We also offered a contract to Allen Robinson two years ago and he took the Bears offer instead. We have tried to get WRs in GB.
what, two above average guys in 3 years? actually I think for cost affect your better off drafting WR's versus buying them, thats why this draft seems ideal to stock up on a couple, one as early as possible, and another mid rounder, we should see some sort of improvement from all of Lazard, MVS, EQB,, so adding a couple will only increase competition, I think it's a good thing when ya have TO many good WR :)

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Yoop wrote:
texas wrote:
idk, we got plenty of good WRs from like 2007-2014

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

So what people are saying is that the Packers have tried to sign a FA WR and failed?

Why could that be? Not enough money (the Packers don't have the salary cap room). Or those receivers know that they aren't as good as their reputation and don't want to be #3 or #4 in GB when they could be #2 elsewhere?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
02 Apr 2020 00:16
Yoop wrote:
texas wrote:
just saying there are at least a few teams, including ours that are in need of better #2 and 3 receivers.

so much of what Sanders can do is scheme dependent, so how he fits in certain schemes can raise or lower his value, we need a turn key slot type player, and that seems to be his fit, but he came with a pretty high price tag, for the record I would have chosen Funchess at the cheaper rate because he also fits in Lafluers big and tall plan, if Funchess gets his game together he could become a steal at 2.5 mil.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
02 Apr 2020 03:10
So what people are saying is that the Packers have tried to sign a FA WR and failed?

Why could that be? Not enough money (the Packers don't have the salary cap room). Or those receivers know that they aren't as good as their reputation and don't want to be #3 or #4 in GB when they could be #2 elsewhere?
And guys don't want to play in GB because of the location.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
02 Apr 2020 06:19
texas wrote:
02 Apr 2020 00:16
Yoop wrote:

just saying there are at least a few teams, including ours that are in need of better #2 and 3 receivers.

so much of what Sanders can do is scheme dependent, so how he fits in certain schemes can raise or lower his value, we need a turn key slot type player, and that seems to be his fit, but he came with a pretty high price tag, for the record I would have chosen Funchess at the cheaper rate because he also fits in Lafluers big and tall plan, if Funchess gets his game together he could become a steal at 2.5 mil.
Funny.

So can Allen Lazard. :)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.