Eagles @ Packers GDT - 3:25 - CBS

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Eagles haven't done well handling adversity this season (understatement). Doug Pederson has had trouble finding answers to solve his injury problems (understatement). Looking forward to seeing the Tavon Austin experiment unfold on Sunday. And plenty of Packers open receivers all over the field. And another 100+ yard rushing attack. GO PACK GO!! GO PACK ATTACK!!
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 02 Dec 2020 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Eagles are in the NFC East........worst division in the NFL. This should be an automatic win for the Packers. If its close, I will be amazed.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I feel like there's something that is making people feel like we're not as good of a team as we are.

Like maybe we've all internalized the 2019 season when our record was outperforming our performance...

...or maybe we're all still letting the "this team drafted for the future, not the present" narrative cloud our minds....

...or maybe it's just the sting of getting our butts handed to us by the Bucs that one time this season.

But this OFFENSE is 4th in yards per game, 1st in points per game, 2nd in DVOA. We've talked about the OLIne in a separate thread. We have one of the top players in the league at RB, QB, WR, and LT. True "blues" if you will. And while everyone may still think of him as an UDFA project, we do in fact have a TE right now capable of making the position work in this offense.

Our offense is a truly elite unit in the National Football League. Only the Chiefs really compare, though the Seahawks score a lot.

And the defense is... fine? Not great, but fine. This isn't the 2011 unit. Is it disappointing to see a major strength (pass rush) turn into a liability with the same personnel? Yes. Is it frustrating how often we struggle against the run? Yes.

But we're not some bottom-of-the-barrel bunch on that side of the ball, either.

We're a top team in the league fighting for the top seed in our conference (and we have defeated the current holder of the top seed). we're not battling for the playoffs and benefitting from a good bit of luck, health, close game outcomes... We're actually very good.

Talking about the Eagles as a "dangerous team" is simply denial of where we truly stand in the league.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

From FootballOutsiders
Bryan: I think you keep Pederson around for next year, because you have to keep Wentz around. You just have to, thanks to that massive extension in 2019. Cutting him after this season would put $59 million in dead money on the salary cap. You can not do that; not in a year where the salary cap is projected to go down. Even designating him as a post-June 1 cut is not feasible; that puts $35 million in dead money on the 2021 cap and $25 million on the 2022 cap. Even a trade would put over $30 million on the cap, and no one's trading for Wentz at the moment. Wentz is in spitting distance of having the worst DYAR season we've ever recorded. He's at -829 DYAR at this point; the all-time record is -1,145 by Josh Rosen in 2018. If you prefer old-school stats, Wentz is one of six quarterbacks in NFL history to see his passer rating drop by 24 points over his average of the previous three seasons, per NFL Research. Four of the previous five quarterbacks retired, and the fifth, Mark Rypien, was done as a starter. This is a disaster.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I tend to think of games in terms of how many times we would win/lose playing that team out of 100. I can see a handful of scenarios where Philly beats us, but I think we win this game upwards of 90 times.

I expected us to beat Tampa, but losing didn't surprise me that much. Vikings, I felt we win that game most of the time, but the circumstances (wind) brought it into the rare scenario where we lose.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Dec 2020 11:07
I feel like there's something that is making people feel like we're not as good of a team as we are.

Like maybe we've all internalized the 2019 season when our record was outperforming our performance...

...or maybe we're all still letting the "this team drafted for the future, not the present" narrative cloud our minds....

...or maybe it's just the sting of getting our butts handed to us by the Bucs that one time this season.

But this OFFENSE is 4th in yards per game, 1st in points per game, 2nd in DVOA. We've talked about the OLIne in a separate thread. We have one of the top players in the league at RB, QB, WR, and LT. True "blues" if you will. And while everyone may still think of him as an UDFA project, we do in fact have a TE right now capable of making the position work in this offense.

Our offense is a truly elite unit in the National Football League. Only the Chiefs really compare, though the Seahawks score a lot.

And the defense is... fine? Not great, but fine. This isn't the 2011 unit. Is it disappointing to see a major strength (pass rush) turn into a liability with the same personnel? Yes. Is it frustrating how often we struggle against the run? Yes.

We're a top team in the league fighting for the top seed in our conference (and we have defeated the current holder of the top seed). we're not battling for the playoffs and benefitting from a good bit of luck, health, close game outcomes... We're actually very good.

Talking about the Eagles as a "dangerous team" is simply denial of where we truly stand in the league.
I like watching Jaire shut down the opponents receiver that he is covering. Seeing Z make plays helps me feel good about our defense too. Other than that I am still not a believer in our defense when we're up against a competent QB, offense and offensive coordinator. The next 3 games should be automatic Ws assuming no major Packers injuries (PHI, DET and CAR). We will have to see how the game against the Titans goes.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

It would be disappointing to struggle against the Eagles for sure, specially after we dominated the Bears, but we shouldn't have lost to the Colts or the Bucs for that matter, some OC's have the players and incite how to attack our defense and garner success, we go coverage and they run on the tiny weenie front 7, we go bigger and they pass against that slower personal group, maybe if our bunch of hybrid Safety/Lber could stay healthy for more then one or two games at a time they'd gain the experience needed to make them more affective against the run, just guessing here, whatever we are in dire need of a blue chip ILB.

I'd like to see Gute sign Kenny Stills, sure with Lizard back and Ervin expected back soon it would seem we have enough receivers, and adding Austin might give us a quick separator from the slot, However Stills is a polished prospect and could add a spark to help us against the better defenses we'll face in the play offs.

with the way we played offensively against the Bears we seem to be peeking when it matters most, we started hot, did the rope a dope, and are getting ready for the kill shot.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:

For sure. I think the Packers are a top 5 NFL team. At the least a Top 6 NFL team. But we have been a top 3 team in the Conference many, many times during Rodgers's career. Almost annually honestly for the exception of his injury years and 2015 & 2018. I think we are a better team than we were last year or at least have the potential to be.

We are 4-3 since the bye. That is a middle of the road squad since our bye, but all of our losses had us losing the turnover and battle and two of them had it where we lost the turnover battle by 2. I think MN is the only game where I won't blame the loss on a turnover.

For the most part our formula is win the turnover battle and not beat ourselves. I think we are all comfortable that our offense can do that. However the other side is our defense to apply pressure to force the opponent to make mistakes. So far we have not done a good job at that but it has improved significantly the last two weeks. If we can get that going, optimism for this team will skyrocket.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Maybe we are beyond the point of them being a dangerous team, but it is still a dangerous match-up in my eyes. They can pressure the QB without blitzing and are tough against the run. If our offense takes care of business, especially with an effective game plan (what they did to Chicago was brilliant), then I am not worried. But, a couple of three and outs or a turnover or ST gaffe, and there are days our offense is not good enough to cover for the rest of this team. It's happened three times now, so maybe it is you who is in denial of where we stand.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The Eagles are 30th in takeaways with 11.

The Eagles are 2nd in sacks.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
02 Dec 2020 13:09
Maybe we are beyond the point of them being a dangerous team, but it is still a dangerous match-up in my eyes. They can pressure the QB without blitzing and are tough against the run. If our offense takes care of business, especially with an effective game plan (what they did to Chicago was brilliant), then I am not worried. But, a couple of three and outs or a turnover or ST gaffe, and there are days our offense is not good enough to cover for the rest of this team. It's happened three times now, so maybe it is you who is in denial of where we stand.
Two of those three times were against clear playoff teams with top-5ish/top-10 defenses.....

The Eagles are very likely to pick in the top 5 this year. Like what's your deal with this team? Why do you insist on making this some scary sort of matchup. There is nothing about this team that should scare anyone.

I've said this before; PLAYERS and COACHES need to be wary of overlooking bad teams. Fans don't. We should be walking around with our metaphorical beating sticks ready to pounce all over this team and their fans Sunday. We should be setting up our camera angles to capture out big fan reactions to all of our big plays. We should be applauding the inevitable return of our pass rush this week.

If something goes wrong? That sucks. It could happen, and it sucks. But BY FAR the most likely outcome is a victory, and we should feel that way. Spending energy fretting the 10% of outcomes in which the Eagles get some lucky breaks and pull this off is not why I like football. I'm psyched about this week. This is week 2 of How Stella got her Groove Back, Packers edition. There is no sign or signal that this offense with Jones, Adams, and Lazard active can be stopped for more than a bit at a time.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
02 Dec 2020 12:32
YoHoChecko wrote:

For sure. I think the Packers are a top 5 NFL team. At the least a Top 6 NFL team. But we have been a top 3 team in the Conference many, many times during Rodgers's career. Almost annually honestly for the exception of his injury years and 2015 & 2018. I think we are a better team than we were last year or at least have the potential to be.

We are 4-3 since the bye. That is a middle of the road squad since our bye, but all of our losses had us losing the turnover and battle and two of them had it where we lost the turnover battle by 2. I think MN is the only game where I won't blame the loss on a turnover.

For the most part our formula is win the turnover battle and not beat ourselves. I think we are all comfortable that our offense can do that. However the other side is our defense to apply pressure to force the opponent to make mistakes. So far we have not done a good job at that but it has improved significantly the last two weeks. If we can get that going, optimism for this team will skyrocket.
I think we obviously are a playoff team, and that isnt because everyone else is bad..we are playoff team quality.

I think we are even a top 8 team, so top 1/4 of the league for sure.

And finally, i certainly think we are good enough to beat the eagles. if we dont, it will be embarrassing. They are very bad this year, and Carson is playing awful. He is a punch drunk fighter currently.

That said, its easy for me to see why we dont get crowned as cream of the crop team just yet..that is top 3 or 4 or probably even 5....

Weve spanked bad teams, lost close to some bad teams, handled our business for the most part...but really only have ONE very quality win. That would be against the Saints. We lost to Bucs of course, lost a temp check game against the colts, and lost to the average vikings. We dont seem to improved the D very much. O does look better this year. Basically the schedule just hasnt been as tough as it looked in preseason. Vikings, bears, niners, and eagles are all worse than I thought they would be.

I think we have lost the games that would have people thinking we were top tier elite, and lack the quality wins to feel like SB favorites. Thats probably the root of the skeptism.

Even though for me i feel its just realistic...top 8 football team, playoff team, see if we improve or what happens from here. In a nice spot heading into December. I expect to beat the Eagles by 10.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Dec 2020 13:28
NCF wrote:
02 Dec 2020 13:09
Two of those three times were against clear playoff teams with top-5ish/top-10 defenses.....

The Eagles are very likely to pick in the top 5 this year. Like what's your deal with this team? Why do you insist on making this some scary sort of matchup. There is nothing about this team that should scare anyone.

I've said this before; PLAYERS and COACHES need to be wary of overlooking bad teams. Fans don't. We should be walking around with our metaphorical beating sticks ready to pounce all over this team and their fans Sunday. We should be setting up our camera angles to capture out big fan reactions to all of our big plays. We should be applauding the inevitable return of our pass rush this week.

If something goes wrong? That sucks. It could happen, and it sucks. But BY FAR the most likely outcome is a victory, and we should feel that way. Spending energy fretting the 10% of outcomes in which the Eagles get some lucky breaks and pull this off is not why I like football. I'm psyched about this week. This is week 2 of How Stella got her Groove Back, Packers edition. There is no sign or signal that this offense with Jones, Adams, and Lazard active can be stopped for more than a bit at a time.
I mean we are going to go through this every game.

We are clear and above better than the Eagles, Lions, Panthers and Bears. I fully expect the Bears to be eliminated from Wildcard hopes week 17.

So we are looking at a 12-4 football team with the chance of 13-3 vs Tennessee.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

It's not abnormal to want your team to play even better but the key is to not let it rob you of the joy and excitement of what a great and successful season this really is. Being self critical is a healthy trait as long as it doesn't become self destructive.

I'll say that I take our win/loss record for granted. Yes, we are a very good team. It's how we go from very good to great that is at hand, particularly as we jockey for playoff seeding and ultimately playing playoff caliber football. I also put a lot into style points of wins and losses. Losing to Tampa wasn't the issue in my mind, it's how we lost. That should have been a game that we were amped up for and we just came in and laid an egg.

Playing Jacksonville at home is another. Yes, we got the win but it was painful to watch. I get the sense we didn't take them seriously and just mailed it in expecting the win.

In both of these scenario's I put it on coaching. The raw talent is there, we need to constantly be motivated and coaching. I'm not 100% convinced that is happening on a consistent basis. When a team is playing at this level it really comes down to the tiny details that can make or break a deep playoff run or super bowl.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
02 Dec 2020 13:39
So we are looking at a 12-4 football team with the chance of 13-3 vs Tennessee.
Yes, this is the most likely outcome.

Obviously no guarantees and heck, Rodgers could get hurt and we see if Tim Boyle can Saints this situation (their backup QBs never seem to lose).

But as things stand, yeah, I'm confident about 4 remaining games and nervous about 1.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I just think that we're really overlooking just how tumultuous it is for our game-planning, rhythm, and continuity to have gone through SO many injuries on OL and the skill positions. And when we have our guys healthy and establish a rhythm, there's not many teams that can stop us.

The Colts got two key 3&outs and played keepaway in the second half of our first game with the gang back together. The Bears looked helpless in our second game with them back together. With Bakh, Jones, Adams, Lazard, and Tonyan all healthy.... we're gonna score 35 almost every time.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:

I've said this before; PLAYERS and COACHES need to be wary of overlooking bad teams. Fans don't.
I do. I need my Packers victory every week like an addict needs a needle to the vein. If we play a top team and I temper my expectations, I function pretty well. But, when I am riding high with my guard down and we lose, I don't function for the next 24 hours. I'm like a petulant child that way. The Colts game I was pretty prepared for, I thought it was going to be tough. The Bucs and Vikings I expected to beat hands down and we didn't. I just hate that feeling. I pout, I sulk, and life generally sucks. I wish I could get past that, but that's how I fan. And, to your point, I have learned to level my expectations to the competition, but something about his match-up just has me a little on the edge of my seat.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
02 Dec 2020 13:48
YoHoChecko wrote:

I've said this before; PLAYERS and COACHES need to be wary of overlooking bad teams. Fans don't.
I do. I need my Packers victory every week like an addict needs a needle to the vein. If we play a top team and I temper my expectations, I function pretty well. But, when I am riding high with my guard down and we lose, I don't function for the next 24 hours. I'm like a petulant child that way. The Colts game I was pretty prepared for, I thought it was going to be tough. The Bucs and Vikings I expected to beat hands down and we didn't. I just hate that feeling. I pout, I sulk, and life generally sucks. I wish I could get past that, but that's how I fan. And, to your point, I have learned to level my expectations to the competition, but something about his match-up just has me a little on the edge of my seat.
Hahaha same.

I was the same way about the Colts too...until we were up by 2 scores at halftime. I mean I was HIGH on that mountain.

I couldn't sleep that night we lost to the Colts. I was so mad. I was so certain about this team at halftime. I basically figured if we could have escaped that Colts game with a win, we were a #1 seed lock.

Now we are at a good chance but not a lock.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Also this Sunday is my birthday. Like the exact day.

So the Packers, Falcons, Giants and maybe Cardinals (don't care about this one as much) better give me a 30th birthday treat.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I mean, I get it--the down feeling after a loss; y'all may have noticed I don't even post the week after losses. I just don't want to sit around and think about football when the Packers just lost. And the Bucs game really tripped me up because of how badly it went off the rails after jumping out 10-0.

But that's the other thing... just like with the Colts. Both losses showed that we had a team that could put together drives against a good, playoff defense; and we could make stops. We just couldn't do it for a whole game. That matters, and needs to be looked at, but nothing about either of those games says to me "we just aren't at their level" or "we just don't match up" the way I felt about the 49ers last year.

Those were games in which the team made too many mistakes to overcome; not games in which the team was outclassed and outmatched.

I didn't even see the Vikings loss. I was so sure we'd win that I didn't even check the scores as closely throughout the day; don't remember what I was doing, but it must've been important.

Either way, the point is that I get how losses can be disheartening. But I'll wait to feel the negative energy until a loss actually happens. If I build myself up with negative energy beforehand, sure, my expectations are set more appropriately, but I also didn't avoid the negativity of the loss, I just spread it out over an entire week leading up to it.

As I've said, my Amazon FireStick thinks I'm in Philly for some reason. I get Philly games like I'm a local. And I'm actually angry every time because they're so hard to watch. I simply can't, this season, spend a thought that we might not trample them.

We're a better team than the Seahawks, btw. That I feel quite confident about. Not saying we couldn't blow a 4th Q lead to soft D and Metcalf-Wilson going ham on us... but we're a better team.