End of Season Standing

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Jan 2021 12:27
Over the final 6 weeks of the season the Packers defense ranked 6th in both points allowed and total yards. If we back that up to the final 8 games it is 9th in points allowed and 7th in total yards.

This is better than an average or mediocre defense. This is a good defense.
I really really like the 18 takeaways in 16 games stat. If the Packers can get one takeaway in each upcoming playoff game........that would be huge. :pray:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
05 Jan 2021 18:26
Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Jan 2021 12:27
Over the final 6 weeks of the season the Packers defense ranked 6th in both points allowed and total yards. If we back that up to the final 8 games it is 9th in points allowed and 7th in total yards.

This is better than an average or mediocre defense. This is a good defense.
I really really like the 18 takeaways in 16 games stat. If the Packers can get one takeaway in each upcoming playoff game........that would be huge. :pray:
How about 11 in the last 8 games?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

We have the highest redzone percentage in nfl history as far as I can tell at 80% from when statistics are available (2003). #2 2019 Titans, #3 2003 Chiefs, #4 2020 Titans.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I know this has mostly been team rankings, but I'm reading Football Outsiders' end-of-year DYAR summaries and wow.

So, DYAR stands for Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. It's mostly a cumulative (volume) stat, not an efficiency stat (like DVOA), and is adjusted based on the difficulty of the defenses you face.

So they're going over the top players at each position by DYAR

QB: Rodgers is 2nd to Mahomes

RB: Jones is 4th in rushing and 5th in total (they separate rushing and receiving DYAR for RBs and show the total) despite missing two games

WR: Adams is 1st (despite missing two games)

TE: Tonyan is 2nd

That is some awesome production from our offensive skill positions!

Here's the link if anyone wants to see more stuff about it: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick ... 020-review

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yep, trending better, right around 10th best D is about a fair a number as you can give.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Damn, EPA based rankings are so good, :P

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
06 Jan 2021 14:49

Yep, trending better, right around 10th best D is about a fair a number as you can give.
Been saying that since Sunday! ;)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Unrelated note, can not believe (yet I absolutely can) how fast this open source football knowledge has blown up. I remember simply hearing Ben Baldwin on a podcast like 2 years ago talking about the nflscrapr package Maksim Horowitz and Ron Yorko created after building the core of it for a school project. They actually scraped NFL box scores by the 100's through the years, noted the game situations, point differential, time, down, distance, where the ball was, timeout, and where able to create a real time win probability figure, that was actually very quickly adopted by ESPN in their gamecast/boxscores. But from there, they kind of built of their scraping codes and put it out for opensource for anyone who wanted to use it. There came the metric, again with those inputs, of your expected points at that situation (20 mins left, 2nd and 8 at your 45 yardline, 2 timouts, your expected points that drive is maybe 2.8 points. Then you get 7 yards, its now 3rd and 1, at that point, your expected points for that drive maybe change to 2.85, thus your expected points change per play was 0.05. Just average that number over every play and you get your expected points added (EPA) per play. Brilliant.

But when I listened to that podcast, I was just amazed, remember sending it to my brother and told him he had to listen to it. No one knew what it was, I just started playing with the data and found it was pretty cool but already saw how far behind I was and was just able to see what I wanted to see on Twitter, but just the depth of access, creativity, quality metrics that have come out are just insane. Since then, Ben Baldwin and Sebastian Carl cleaned up all the code, made it simpler, built in more common calculation and put out a new nflfastr package for R.

Just just crazy how quickly this stuff can be produced and the insight and the quality, and really have the ability to create ourselves with a little know how, effort and creativity.

Fun, just a bunch of nothings are all contributing and adding in great ideas.

Even Nathan is getting into :P

But anyways, I always had a hunch this could be so amazing. So many sites and people tried making their own proprietary football metrics, like football outsiders and what not, which are cool and all, but when you allow for unlimited creativity and let everyone's ideas contribute, things always just seem to blow up. Always had noticed this starting with like with Nintendo, there were video games out before, but they were the first to really embrace and promote, we are just going to create a platform, everyone else build the games. Also cell phones, blackberry and samsung for years was like, okay, here is your email app, here are a few games, here is your photo editor, the biggest thing Apple did was just say, okay here is a kick ass phone, but we are going to let and any everybody build an app, whoever wants too, blew that up. LIS, happening here now, but set up now so anyone can contribute, and amazing things are happening. But if you want to turn that million dollar idea into a billion dollar idea, don't do the hard work, just create an environment to let people smarter, more diversely educated and more creative do it for you. :aok:

/End random thoughts/thread derailing.