Packers promote Drayton to ST Coordinator

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

kampmanfan4life wrote:
30 Jan 2021 21:07
I will say I can't think of many special teams demons on our roster...maybe get him a guy or two to work with.
Yes, Burks and Daffney looked good at times, but we really need a gunner. What was the new guy's name? Russell? He made a couple good tackles.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
31 Jan 2021 10:51
kampmanfan4life wrote:
30 Jan 2021 21:07
JS article has him talking about simplifying special teams for players. That is probably what we need as we are always so dam bad.
I am so-so with X's and O's, but can anyone explain to me why ST would ever need to be complicated? It seems the the good ones are always simple and it's up to the players to be disciplined and do their job.
Exactly. If the ST players respect their coach they will do their job. If they don't they will improvise and make mistakes

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

to funny, I respected Vince Lombardi, however when I tried to run through a brick wall, I got a bloody nose :lol:

this isn't a lack of respect thing, this is a lack of working concepts that get the job done and players that max out those concepts, like I said, just keep the concepts simple enough for inexperienced players to grasp, half of special teams players are rookies and UDF agents, as I said, it's Nascar, not Lemans, I thought that was funny, no one laughed, people around here need to yank the corn cob out of there lower unit and loosen up :lol:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

So much for all the optimism over Drayton… :hide:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
08 Nov 2021 08:21
We should pull up the Joe Barry thread and see how wrong we were on that too. :lol:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yal remember when Lafleur didnt really interview many people at all to fill this spot, he just promoted Drayton quickly in fear that Drayton would be poached away?

I dont think that concern was valid. I think he hired Drayton either because they were buddies or because he was cheap.

Either way, the hire is on the HC.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2021 08:24
APB wrote:
08 Nov 2021 08:21
We should pull up the Joe Barry thread and see how wrong we were on that too. :lol:
Have at it.

Side note: not all of us were wrong on this promotion.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Nov 2021 08:30
Yal remember when Lafleur didnt really interview many people at all to fill this spot, he just promoted Drayton quickly in fear that Drayton would be poached away?

I dont think that concern was valid. I think he hired Drayton either because they were buddies or because he was cheap.

Either way, the hire is on the HC.
who was the guy before Dryton ( I can't keep track of all these ST's coach, the position is a revolving door) anyway we turned down a guy that wanted more cash to do the job, imo we did the same with Dryton.
every game ST's costs us points.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
29 Jan 2021 06:16
Don't get me wrong. I also hope he is successful. I'm just not very confident he will be.

The Packers ST lineage over the past decade has been terrible yet here they are, picking from the same tree that has provided nothing but sour apples. Expecting success from coaches who advance through a broken system doesn't sound all that promising to me. Time for some new blood and new ideas.
Agree but what are you going to do Week 10 in the middle of the season?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

wallyuwl wrote:
08 Nov 2021 09:12
APB wrote:
29 Jan 2021 06:16
Don't get me wrong. I also hope he is successful. I'm just not very confident he will be.

The Packers ST lineage over the past decade has been terrible yet here they are, picking from the same tree that has provided nothing but sour apples. Expecting success from coaches who advance through a broken system doesn't sound all that promising to me. Time for some new blood and new ideas.
Agree but what are you going to do Week 10 in the middle of the season?
Work overtime with Wirtel and Bojo. The 2 misses yesterday were squarely on them. No kicker is going to be good when kicking the laces. As for the blocking, not sure what can help with that. If it isn't fixed by week 9, its probably not getting fixed this year.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It's FG blocking, it just needs to be communicated what the expectations are and practice it. For example watch Kelley lung at a rusher and fall flat on his face allowing a rusher to come free. That should never happen. Step down and protect the inside gap. The end guy will then need to get a hand on the outside guy, but still can not give up the inside. If they overload you have to let the very outside guy go free and that is where timing is important. So many critical mistakes still happening on FG...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

MLF spoke really highly of Drayton after hiring him, said he was even thinking about making him the guy last time and sees him as someone who has a future in the league as ST-Coord. He also seems to come out and defend a lot of stuff on the ST unit that gets criticism from fans and reporters.

He seems to really believe in the guy (which worries me). I wouldn't be surprised if they are friends off-field.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Actually an interesting question. Is he feeling a bit backwards and that causing some issues? I don't know anyone left footed to see if they are also left handed; or if you can be left footed, but right handed.
RIP JustJeff

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

paco wrote:
08 Nov 2021 14:00
Actually an interesting question. Is he feeling a bit backwards and that causing some issues? I don't know anyone left footed to see if they are also left handed; or if you can be left footed, but right handed.
Didn't Bojo hold in Buffalo?

Yes, Bojo should spin it roughly to laces forward, but I think the real issue is that the ball rotation from the snapper was off. Either too many or too few rotations would make the ball end up in a bad spot. The second hold was also off, but it didn't matter once it got blocked.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I understand why they have punters do the holding, but conceptually, I just think there is a lot of advantage of having a QB do it.

Not only are they more dangerous with FG fakes, but they also likely have much better ball control since they are constantly handling footballs.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
08 Nov 2021 14:35
paco wrote:
Didn't Bojo hold in Buffalo?

Yes, Bojo should spin it roughly to laces forward, but I think the real issue is that the ball rotation from the snapper was off. Either too many or too few rotations would make the ball end up in a bad spot. The second hold was also off, but it didn't matter once it got blocked.
go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2021 14:38
I understand why they have punters do the holding, but conceptually, I just think there is a lot of advantage of having a QB do it.

Not only are they more dangerous with FG fakes, but they also likely have much better ball control since they are constantly handling footballs.
No idea if he held in buffalo. I agree the center should be spinning it right. But holder's job to fix it if he doesn't and that's not happening either.

I was having this discussion with a co-worker today. Seems more punters are holders than their used to be. Maybe another step toward protecting them from injury? Punters should be able to handle a ball fine as their job is to catch it first, then get it in a position to kick it. But I do like a QB at that job, because if it all goes bad, there's a chance a QB can make a play (at least more likely than a punter). Hell, I'd rather a RB learn to do it.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
For what its worth, I am left-footed but right-handed. I grew up with two others who were the same. I knew several who were left-handed but right footed. Can't say I know/knew anyone who is both left-handed and left-footed.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

APB wrote:
08 Nov 2021 14:47
paco wrote:
For what its worth, I am left-footed but right-handed. I grew up with two others who were the same. I knew several who were left-handed but right footed. Can't say I know/knew anyone who is both left-handed and left-footed.
Good to know. So most likely, it's not a situation that Bojo is having to get used to.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I don't agree with this. Amari has had a good return or 2, usually after something bad happens. But next game, more bad. Not that we have anything any better. But he's a liability at this point.
RIP JustJeff