Packers-huddle NFL Draft contests

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
22 Apr 2020 18:39
paco wrote:
22 Apr 2020 17:23
Ugh, can't figure out what to do with the first pick. I had been leaning trade down, but now I think it could be up depending who is there (very short list that I'm not sure will be there). Thinking I'm going to stop stressing so much, get out 1 last mock and make that my final one. I just don't have the patience for it this year.

Good luck everyone. Get your picks in with around half hour to go. I'll lock the sheet at that point.
Much like every year, but moreso this year at 30, it could be either or depending on what happens with the other picks. I would have to be something the Packers felt REALLY good about to go up, though.
Yep, and I just don't see a move up this year unless it's one of the top 4 OT's, Lamb, Jefferson, or Ruggs. I don't see it with Mims, Murray, or a number of other guys. If it is someone else, odds are it breaks the mold or they feel higher on other guys like Claypool. In the end, I still guessed trade down, but I could easily see them stay.

I don't love my picks or the trades I guessed, but that's probably what I'll stick with now.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

12 people listed on the contest list is not enough! It's easy to do and you can show that you know as little as the rest of us!
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

ok, done. Sorta expect a decent number of trades and chaos, and hopefully the top of my draft reflects that.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Apr 2020 10:56
ok, done. Sorta expect a decent number of trades and chaos, and hopefully the top of my draft reflects that.
Yeah, that's always what I kind of do. About the first 3-6 picks or whatever, I'll go by who is there, then after that, just pretty much list a big board of how I think they could do, with maybe only slight variation by team after that. But expecting a bunch of trades in there that kind of make the current draft order irrelevant.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 10:58
YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Apr 2020 10:56
Yeah, that's always what I kind of do. About the first 3-6 picks or whatever, I'll go by who is there, then after that, just pretty much list a big board of how I think they could do, with maybe only slight variation by team after that. But expecting a bunch of trades in there that kind of make the current draft order irrelevant.
Agreed, though I also wonder if technical difficulties will make trades a little more difficult to pull off. Maybe a couple more scenarios like the old Vikings-Ravens Mike Tice trade talks that extended past their allotted time and led to a mad rush of picks. Given that deputies and assistants are often taking and making trade calls to get feelers done, and they won't all be in the same room, it might be more difficult to coordinate.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Done. Don't feel great about it. Never do. But, went with the gut and sure had fun doing it.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
23 Apr 2020 12:11
Done. Don't feel great about it. Never do. But, went with the gut and sure had fun doing it.

I'm in that limbo right now, should I keep tweeking it (I haven't once yet) with new information coming, or just stick with my gut from a week ago.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 12:56
NCF wrote:
23 Apr 2020 12:11

I'm in that limbo right now, should I keep tweeking it (I haven't once yet) with new information coming, or just stick with my gut from a week ago.
Yep, I've tweaked my 1st round some, but Packer mock is probably staying. Time to sit back, have a drink and watch the spectacle that is the NFL Draft unfold!
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I did what I usually do, but this year was tougher than most. I can see the media having a lot of this really wrong and at the bottom half of the 1st round we are all going, WHAT?!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 13:09
I did what I usually do, but this year was tougher than most. I can see the media having a lot of this really wrong and at the bottom half of the 1st round we are all going, WHAT?!

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Don't be surprised if Claypool makes it into the first round or is even our pick.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 13:21
Don't be surprised if Claypool makes it into the first round or is even our pick.
I won't be surprised. I won't love it by any means, but he fits what the Packers like.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
23 Apr 2020 13:22
Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 13:21
I won't be surprised. I won't love it by any means, but he fits what the Packers like.
I will be SHOCKED if he's in the first round and appalled if he's our first-round pick.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Apr 2020 14:45
I will be SHOCKED if he's in the first round and appalled if he's our first-round pick.
I will be neither.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
23 Apr 2020 14:47
YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Apr 2020 14:45
I will be neither.
Ugh, it's so gross. He's my third favorite player in this draft of a WR type I don't want us to take. I have no idea what people think he would add beyond what Lazzard and EQ and Funchess already do. And his 4.42 time is useless. He's never displayed that speed on the field, and GPS tracking stats confirm that.
Chase Claypool, Notre Dame
18.77 mph

Timed speed > game speed: Claypool was probably the biggest surprise at the combine, running 4.42 at 6-foot-4 and 238 pounds. No one saw that time coming. He just didn't look like a low 4.40 wideout on film. This study argues that Claypool simply isn't as fast on the field as his 40-yard dash would suggest.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... prospects/

For reference:
Henry Ruggs, Alabama - 21.94 mph
Jalen Reagor, TCU - 20.80 mph
Denzel Mims, Baylor - 20.69 mph
Joe Reed, Virginia - 19.95 mph
Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona State - 19.55 mph
Donovan Peoples-Jones, Michigan - 19.49 mph
Tee Higgins, Clemson - 19.46 mph
Justin Jefferson, LSU - 18.44 mph
Quintez Cephus, Wisconsin - 18.38 mph

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

[mention]YoHoChecko[/mention]

I don't care about his speed. He is a freak athlete with more size than anyone we have. If you move towards thinking of him in that Evan Engram or Jimmy Graham mold, he is A LOT more explosive than anything we have had in that role previously. Plus, his highlights show out, he uses his body more than any other prospect I have watched. Reminds me so much of prime Jermichael Finley.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

From that article
Addition: After writing this article, I received the on-field speed info for South Carolina WR Bryan Edwards, who was unable to run at the combine due to a broken foot, and he did not have a pro day. He clocked 19.41 mph on a 75-yard catch-and-run against Missouri, which would've placed the 6-foot-3, 215-pound wideout in 8th place -- right after Tee Higgins -- on this list, nearly a full mph faster than Justin Jefferson.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
23 Apr 2020 15:00
@YoHoChecko

I don't care about his speed. He is a freak athlete with more size than anyone we have. If you move towards thinking of him in that Evan Engram or Jimmy Graham mold, he is A LOT more explosive than anything we have had in that role previously. Plus, his highlights show out, he uses his body more than any other prospect I have watched. Reminds me so much of prime Jermichael Finley.
I guess that's my point, too. The Jimmy Graham mold is a BAD FIT for this offense. He wasn't very effective. He was worse than the previous year under MM. I don't think it makes ANY SENSE to seek out a "Jimmy Graham mold" right now. We have a need at TE which requires a good blocker. And we have a need at WR which requires more speed given our current receiving corps make-up. Claypool addresses neither.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Apr 2020 15:07
NCF wrote:
23 Apr 2020 15:00
@YoHoChecko

I guess that's my point, too. The Jimmy Graham mold is a BAD FIT for this offense. He wasn't very effective. He was worse than the previous year under MM. I don't think it makes ANY SENSE to seek out a "Jimmy Graham mold" right now. We have a need at TE which requires a good blocker. And we have a need at WR which requires more speed given our current receiving corps make-up. Claypool addresses neither.
I wasn't comparing to the Jimmy Graham we had, I was comparing to the Jimmy Graham we wanted when we signed him to a $10M/per contract. I think Jimmy Graham didn't work out because of Jimmy Graham. Not because an athletic, move TE doesn't work. I just think this is going to prove out similar to last year when the Rashan Gary-type was redundant. Turns out it wasn't redundant, that's just their type. This idea that we have to balance skill sets at WR/TE, I am skeptical of based on what has happened over the past few years. That, and I think Davante Adams gives you SO much flexibility in how you add to these positions that it doesn't matter which type you choose.

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

With five 6th and 7th rounders, mocking people to us was utter nonsense. Didn't help that NFL.com has about half the population of China's number of prospects ranked within two decimal points. I think a blind tortoise could pick with equal chances.

Of course, if I hit on any pick, this comment is bookmarked for deletion and I'll claim to know everything in the universe. 8-)