Rank the Roster 2021: #28

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the two next best players on the Packers?

Poll ended at 28 Jun 2021 21:00

Jace Sternberger
No votes
Devin Funchess
No votes
Kamal Martin
22%
Lucas Patrick
31%
Tyler Lancaster
8%
Josiah Deguara
17%
Marcedes Lewis
11%
Royce Newman
3%
Ty Summers
No votes
Yosh Nijman
No votes
Jake Hanson
No votes
Equanimeous St. Brown
No votes
Will Redmond
No votes
TJ Slaton
No votes
Shemar Jean-Charles
3%
Cole Van Lanen
No votes
DeVondre Campbell
6%

Total votes: 36

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Campbell seems like a likely starter, or at the very least, a key role player (coverage LB). I am kinda 50-50 on how valuable I find that compared to Marcedes Lewis's role. He's getting votes, though, so I will push for Campbell here.

I am a bit flabbergasted that Newman getting starter reps at RG off the bar has not even gotten him a little bit of support here or in the past couple slots.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Labrev wrote:
29 Jun 2021 10:30
Campbell seems like a likely starter, or at the very least, a key role player (coverage LB).
from what I've read - the Packers wanted to create competition at the position. And since they already have a wealth of young players at ILB- the best way to do that was by adding a vet with seasoning to challenge and mentor the youngsters. A vet is also better depth in case somebody busts a chinstrap like in 2020.

I don't think the Packers know what the outcome will be - just that they created competition and Quantity begets Quality through competing on the field...and in the meeting rooms. I'd also guess that the "starter" connotation means little in this ILB room as Barry will mix & match by opponent and situation. Here's a link to LA Rams snap counts and you can see how Barry spread the ILB snaps across multiple players last year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... counts.htm
IT. IS. TIME

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BSA wrote:
29 Jun 2021 10:54
Labrev wrote:
29 Jun 2021 10:30
Campbell seems like a likely starter, or at the very least, a key role player (coverage LB).
from what I've read - the Packers wanted to create competition at the position. And since they already have a wealth of young players at ILB- the best way to do that was by adding a vet with seasoning to challenge and mentor the youngsters. A vet is also better depth in case somebody busts a chinstrap like in 2020.

I don't think the Packers know what the outcome will be - just that they created competition and Quantity begets Quality through competing on the field...and in the meeting rooms. I'd also guess that the "starter" connotation means little in this ILB room as Barry will mix & match by opponent and situation. Here's a link to LA Rams snap counts and you can see how Barry spread the ILB snaps across multiple players last year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... counts.htm
That’s the way I saw it. I’m sure they aren’t too happy with Barnes. He showed promise but he was nothing special. Martin flashed positively and negatively. He made plays but he was out of position a lot as well I thought. Campbell is not someone I am a fan of but he’s a veteran who at least has some good history in his game despite being down recently.

At the very least you got an athletic LB that can contribute on STs if needed and hopefully not mistakes.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
28 Jun 2021 09:45
Maybe we can hope that Mercedes will be a top 40 player on this poll.
Lewis is getting inducted into UCLA HOF Class for 2021, so they certainly appreciate his football career

https://twitter.com/UCLAAthletics/statu ... 1678402563
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Jun 2021 13:09
That’s the way I saw it. I’m sure they aren’t too happy with Barnes. He showed promise but he was nothing special. Martin flashed positively and negatively. He made plays but he was out of position a lot as well I thought. Campbell is not someone I am a fan of but he’s a veteran who at least has some good history in his game despite being down recently.

At the very least you got an athletic LB that can contribute on STs if needed and hopefully not mistakes.
He's ace at man coverage for a LB and can do some blitzing, so he definitely has a passing down role. But yeah, he went from a solid rookie year, an ascending sophomore year, to absolutely no awareness in years 3, 4, and 5. It really boggles my mind and leaves me HOPEFUL that he can be better here than he was in the bad years, that there's something to reclaim. But even (especially) if he just plays a selected role, it's a role we could really use.