Roster

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
09 Aug 2021 11:14
lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Aug 2021 09:06
I'm starting to think Lazard's roster spot is in jeopardy. Adams, Cobb, MVS, and Rodgers are all safe locks. I dont think you trade for Cobb to make Rodgers happy and cut him. Rodgers obviously a rookie. Adams obviously a god. MVS is the only guy on the team to legitimately stretch a D.

I'm not a Funchess supporter at all. I think he is a waste of height and talent who doesnt try hard to maximize his abilities. That said he does have god given, natural talent. Neither one can excel at STs. Lazard has some history on teams. Funchess has recently said hes willing to contribute.

I think the Packers carry 6 but only one of Funchess and Lazard make it and I think Lazard ends up the odd man out.
Really? You think that the player that led the league in drop % on his previous team is going to make it and our WR#2 from last season is not?

And to top it off, Funchess has twice the salary cap that Lazard does.
We will save $1,217,647 with a dead cap of $300,000. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-p ... ess-16764/
For a guy that doesn't play special teams, I can't say he makes the team unless he somehow looks like a high end number 2 in the next 3 weeks.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I'm pretty confident Lazard makes it. He has had a solid camp as usual and I believe we get to retain his rights as a "cheap" player in 2022 also. That too has value.

I think the real battle is going to be between Funchess and Winfree. Funchess had a great Family Night and Winfree was quiet, but I actually think that may have been by design. The Packers could be trying to keep Winfree on the DL and "advertise" Funchess to get a 6th rounder out of him to replace what we gave up for Cobb.

Something to at least watch out for these next few games. But honestly, If Funchess does well on Teams and also plays well in practice and PS...keep 6 and keep Funchess. I have no issue keeping him if he is good, solid veteran depth.

I mean that is always what we complain about never having right?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I’m team Winfree over Funchess.

I’m neutral on Funchess vs Lazard. I think in the end they could offer about the same by the end of the year.

Tie breaker probably goes to slow Lazard tho due to age and how we own his rights at the rate we do.

It is interesting in these conversations it’s starting to seem like a given that EQ won’t make the list.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Aug 2021 11:53

I’m neutral on Funchess vs Lazard. I think in the end they could offer about the same by the end of the year.

Tie breaker probably goes to slow Lazard tho due to age and how we own his rights at the rate we do.

It is interesting in these conversations it’s starting to seem like a given that EQ won’t make the list.
Sounds like EQ has been having a good camp too.

Honestly. Far to early to tell on any of these.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
09 Aug 2021 12:03
Drj820 wrote:
09 Aug 2021 11:53

Sounds like EQ has been having a good camp too.

Honestly. Far to early to tell on any of these.
EQ listed as DNP with a hammy today, that can’t help.

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

Lazard is the best blocking WR in the league and he costs like $800k against the cap. He ain't going anywhere, and especially not for Devin Funchess.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

I would be shocked if packers cut Lazard after this offseason.

The first 5 are basically sealed - adams, cobbs, amari, mvs, lazard

Winfree might go practice squad if eligible - to be honest I don't care much about that 6th spot.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I meant to write in there as well that I think Lazard currently has the edge but I wouldn’t be shocked if he is a surprise cut.

Kind of got a Jarrett Boykin feel about him.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Adams and others have talked about how the WR room seems "deeper" this year. I dont know how stacked it is with elite talent, but there is certainly less drop off after MVS than usual. WR3-how many ever we keep seem capable of producing about the same.

My issue though is I am not sure we will not be pretty much where we were last year, sans an upgrade at the slot position. Either Cobb or Amari will probably be healthy throughout the season (that is, one or the other) and they probably will not be on the field much at the same time unless Amari is doing something out of the backfield. So I do recognize an upgrade at the slot as well as an upgrade in depth due to if Cobb is hurt, hopefully Amari can perform similarly.

The other spots though...I just dont know if I trust them at all. Funchess looks good at the beginning, good enough to be a lock to make the team...and then he walks off the field in the preseason game and then gets hurt again at joint practices. Winfree looks like the surprise at camp, and then cant get in a PS game due to injury. ESB...i really hope we just move on from this never available guy.

I guess my concern is that even though Funchess looks good in PS and we can see him having a role...will the guys body allow him to play and contribute? If ESB makes the team, can we ever count on him to be around to contribute? Did Winfree sabotoge his chances to make the 53 due to not being available to compete for a job? We know Cobbs extensive injury history the last few years.

My point is for all the talk about how deep we are at WR now, i could see a scenario where come gameday week after week the crew looks pretty much the exact same with an addition at slot WR.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Aug 2021 10:03
I guess my concern is that even though Funchess looks good in PS and we can see him having a role...will the guys body allow him to play and contribute?
With Funchess, the guy has never had durability issues. He's young enough and is a pretty high pedigree athlete, so I wouldn't worry too much. I think this is just working back into football shape after a very lengthy absence.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Aug 2021 10:03

I guess my concern is that even though Funchess looks good in PS and we can see him having a role...will the guys body allow him to play and contribute? If ESB makes the team, can we ever count on him to be around to contribute? Did Winfree sabotoge his chances to make the 53 due to not being available to compete for a job? We know Cobbs extensive injury history the last few years.

My point is for all the talk about how deep we are at WR now, i could see a scenario where come gameday week after week the crew looks pretty much the exact same with an addition at slot WR.
Gosh, now that I think about it, you’re absolutely right! We are only two injuries away from rolling out pretty much the exact same crew (with an additional slot) as last season, when we had the #1 offense in the league :shock: