If Amari Rodgers was a UDFA would he make the team?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

No one has said cut him. I just think it is an interesting phenomenon where teams hold onto drafted capital more tightly than undrafted capital. It is a version for Choice Supportive Bias/ Post Purchase Rationalization.

I doubt anyone here wants to cut him. Yet I also doubt that had he been a UDFA that we would be talking about him as a roster lock.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
22 Aug 2021 13:32
No one has said cut him. I just think it is an interesting phenomenon where teams hold onto drafted capital more tightly than undrafted capital. It is a version for Choice Supportive Bias/ Post Purchase Rationalization.

I doubt anyone here wants to cut him. Yet I also doubt that had he been a UDFA that we would be talking about him as a roster lock.
comer on zoo keeper :rotf: ( I mean that in a good way)

I don't get your angst at all Ghost, Amari was 4 for 5 targets for 30 plus yrds and was not stopped on first touch in this game or last week if my memory serves, we should not expect him to have the same yardage as a edge receiver since they tend to run deeper routes, as was the case with Mylik Taylor who was 4 for 5 targets and 60 plus yrds, and Mylik did it against single coverage, and Amari was doubled most of the time.
The jets clogged the middle and short zones, I expect because having practiced with us twice during the week they expected us to dink and dunk them heavy, and we did.

doesn't matter if Rodgers would have went un drafted, he'd still be a lock to make this team, we have hardly seen anything designed to feature the skills of Rodgers, most of the throws to him have been into tight and double coverage

not so with Sternberger, we've set him up to excel as a receiver and a blocker, he's had several drops, and looks slower then Lewis, and has wiff'd on most blocking assignment, nice catch for a TD, but thats about it, I'd guess he's the one thats worried about making this team.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
22 Aug 2021 14:33

not so with Sternberger, we've set him up to excel as a receiver and a blocker, he's had several drops, and looks slower then Lewis, and has wiff'd on most blocking assignment, nice catch for a TD, but thats about it, I'd guess he's the one thats worried about making this team.
What are all these drops that Sterny has had this year?

All I can think of is the "appearance" of a drop yesterday that really wasn't a drop. Benkert just threw a quarter second too soon.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Biggest problem I have is that he looks really slow and can't get separation.

And to the OP question - he would not make the team if he was undrafted.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
22 Aug 2021 17:16

No question. Malik Taylor would be way ahead of him if he were undrafted.

But he was drafted because we saw talent and therefore he will get the time to show that talent. Definitely no concerned yet. But also won't say he has looked good.

Both can be true.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

bud fox wrote:
22 Aug 2021 17:16

Thats because he is slow. 4.51 40 and 1.67 split is nothing special, especially considering theyre pro day numbers likely inflated.

Rodgers career is going to be based on how well he can improve technically because he isnt an elite athlete. Hes got the ball carrier portion down.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I would just say it’s possible...**too early to tell but possible*...where we once thought we got a steal in the third round...maybe we just got a good player in the third round who was drafted about where he should be due to lack of elite speed and size.

Safe to say most people of his size at least need speed.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Aug 2021 19:39
I would just say it’s possible...**too early to tell but possible*...where we once thought we got a steal in the third round...maybe we just got a good player in the third round who was drafted about where he should be due to lack of elite speed and size.

Safe to say most people of his size at least need speed.
This is likely what we are looking at.

Yet again, a long term high character guy producing 600 - 900 yards consistently as a strong slot in his peak is not a bad thing at all. Especially at his cost.
Yoop wrote:

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Many of you lack the basic ability to read and respond without bringing extraneous information and/or your own biases into the response.

At no point did I suggest cutting him, nor did I hint at any notion of fear or angst. I merely wanted to talk about draft capital and choice supportive bias as it pertains to team building, both long and short term.

:munch:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
22 Aug 2021 21:48
Many of you lack the basic ability to read and respond without bringing extraneous information and/or your own biases into the response.

At no point did I suggest cutting him, nor did I hint at any notion of fear or angst. I merely wanted to talk about draft capital and choice supportive bias as it pertains to team building, both long and short term.

Hmmph.

Who would have thought with a subject title that included "would he make the team?" that posters would provide an opinion response that addressed whether Rodgers actually makes the team or not.

:messedup:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
22 Aug 2021 21:48

I got what you were laying down. I think it is a good topic.

I mean it's silly in one breath to be like "OH MY GOSH KYLIN HILL!!!!" and then the next breath be like, "Rodgers doesn't have to show anything. It's preseason. None of this matters. Anyone with a half football brain knows and can see the talent" *when they haven't actually seen the talent*

I mean this is the Pro Day results of our 7th round pick. And he looks like he is on a whole new level. This is what I was hoping Rodgers would look like at least on occasion as Kylin Hill does once inside the redzone.
image.png
image.png (107.31 KiB) Viewed 235 times
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

actually he times faster then Cobb, Amari was a top HS recruit, tore his ACL as a junior at Clemson, came back from that in 6 months and finished the season with 400 yrds, and had 1200 yrds as a senior last year, we are prematurely judging the ability of Amari, once he gets to play with the starters then I'll pick his game apart, as was said plenty here wanted to cut Adams after year two.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
23 Aug 2021 07:19
actually he times faster then Cobb, Amari was a top HS recruit, tore his ACL as a junior at Clemson, came back from that in 6 months and finished the season with 400 yrds, and had 1200 yrds as a senior last year, we are prematurely judging the ability of Amari, once he gets to play with the starters then I'll pick his game apart, as was said plenty here wanted to cut Adams after year two.
Dont disagree with 90% of your post, just would add that is hard to compare what he did at clemson to what he may do in the NFL unless we are looking at the college football playoff game performances. I mean the ACC schedule that Clemson plays is a joke outside of like 2 weeks a year. My point is just because he cooked Clemsons competition doesnt mean it would translate to cooking NFL players.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I am defending Rodgers here, because I just don't think the preseason of his rookie year is a great way to highlight who he is and what he brings. But I agree that it's perfectly fine to have a conversation about a player and the expectations.

I also don't quite agree that a roster decision about a rookie is based primarily on any sort of confirmation bias and price rationalization (it may be a part but a small one). Those more come into play with those 3rd and 4th year guys, like how we kept Montravus Adams around all the way through his rookie contract waiting for him to do more than an occasional flash.

For a rookie, drafted or not, the question is whether the player has the talent worth developing longer-term in a way that benefits you. Keeping Malik Taylor over Amari Rodgers, for instance, would be saying "the 3 years of developing Malik Rodgers has left him slightly more capable right now and we're going to take that right now over a player we drafted based on his ceiling being higher.

The expectation that Amari would walk into the room and become the starting slot receiver was on US, the fans, not the team; he was drafted in the late 3rd round, not the 1st or 2nd. The idea that this was a big investment in WR was driven more by the "help Aaron Rodgers" narrative than any narrative about Amari himself.

It's fine to be disappointed, and especially useful to point out that he doesn't look as quick or fast as you expected or remember (for me the fast part isn't a shock, but the quick part is). It's also incredibly disappointing that he hasn't been catching points cleanly since that was a big hope for us.

But I just don't think it's fair to say we're keeping him because of "draft status" rather than because of the team's expectations for his development and career in the league. The draft status is a variable correlated with both. We drafted him BECAUSE of the talent we think he can develop into. We keep him because of the talent we think he can develop into. The draft status is more a representation of the talent we believe he has (at this early point) than an independent variable itself capable of justifying any decision, if that makes sense.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Aug 2021 07:50
Yoop wrote:
Dont disagree with 90% of your post, just would add that is hard to compare what he did at clemson to what he may do in the NFL unless we are looking at the college football playoff game performances. I mean the ACC schedule that Clemson plays is a joke outside of like 2 weeks a year. My point is just because he cooked Clemsons competition doesnt mean it would translate to cooking NFL players.
I don't spend as much time any more watching college football, just read a little about his bio, he was a all star recruit from HS and could have went to a half doz different colleges, was almost commited to USC then abruptly changed course and went to Clemson, (possibly a mistake) USC with Darnold would have seemed a wiser choice.

my point is he was very good in HS, recovered quickly from ACL surgery, and granted the competition seemed weaker but still had very good stats with Clemson, he seems like a work hard over comer to me, I see no reason that he wont excel in Lafluers offense.

I remember reading some of Cobb's pre draft hype, one of his weak points was reported to be open field running from one of the draft reporting sights, just look how wrong that report was, and Cobb ran 4.55 at the combine, so if Cobb was able to do well, then I'am thinking Amari will too.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
23 Aug 2021 09:52
Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
I don't spend as much time any more watching college football, just read a little about his bio, he was a all star recruit from HS and could have went to a half doz different colleges, was almost commited to USC then abruptly changed course and went to Clemson, (possibly a mistake) USC with Darnold would have seemed a wiser choice.
wait. wut?
:idn: :dunno:
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
23 Aug 2021 10:18
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

wait. wut?
maybe you should look stuff up prior to trying to make me out a fool

Rodgers predictably received offers from a host of Power Five schools, among them Alabama, Florida State, LSU, Tennessee, and USC. Originally, Rodgers committed to USC, eager to play with star quarterback Sam Darnold.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/amar ... -receiver/

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
23 Aug 2021 10:35
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

wait. wut?

Rodgers predictably received offers from a host of Power Five schools, among them Alabama, Florida State, LSU, Tennessee, and USC. Originally, Rodgers committed to USC, eager to play with star quarterback Sam Darnold.

I'm just questioning why playing with arguably college football's greatest QB to ever play the game (for 3 years) was a mistake compared to playing with Sam Darnold (which would have only been what...one year?).

Like I am confused on a lot of levels here.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
23 Aug 2021 10:40
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

wait. wut?

I'm just questioning why playing with arguably college football's greatest QB to ever play the game (for 3 years) was a mistake compared to playing with Sam Darnold (which would have only been what...one year?).

your confused because you didn't bother to think my comment through

first, I didn't call you anything, and I simply took my info from that article, maybe Rodgers decided not to go to USC because he'd get to play with Lawrence longer then Darnold, who knows, but this is a key point you seemed to over look, how could Amari possibly know how good Lawrence would become at that time, Darnold was already established as being pretty dang good, hense going to USC (depending on usc receivers) might have given him more oppertunity earlier in his college career

I'am sure Randal Cobb could supply answers to these questions since he's been raving about Amari since his HS days. :box:
Last edited by Yoop on 23 Aug 2021 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
23 Aug 2021 10:56
go pak go wrote:
23 Aug 2021 10:40
Yoop wrote:

first I didn't call you anything, and I simply took my info from that article, maybe Rodgers decided not to go to USC because he'd get to play with Lawrence longer then Darnold, who knows. and how could Amari possibly know how good Lawrence would become at that time, Darnold was already established as being pretty dang good, I'am sure Randal Cobb could supply answers to these questions since he's been raving about Amari since his HS days.
My level of confusion is growing with each post. :lol:
Yoop wrote: