John Madden passed at age 85

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

Madden had a unique bombastic energy that defined his presentation. He was genuine. He was positive. He added another dimension of entertainment that everyone loved. He will be missed. RIP John Madden.
GO PACK GO!!!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

GJPackerBacker wrote:
30 Dec 2021 05:20
Madden had a unique bombastic energy that defined his presentation. He was genuine. He was positive. He added another dimension of entertainment that everyone loved. He will be missed. RIP John Madden.
I Love your avatar G J ( I assume the GJ stands for Grand Junction, Co.) I hunted several years near Cortez actually Mancus up priest Gulch back in the late 70's, spent some time in Montrose, the west side of the rookies offer spectacular scenery :aok:

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

Yoop wrote:
30 Dec 2021 12:59
GJPackerBacker wrote:
I Love your avatar G J ( I assume the GJ stands for Grand Junction, Co.) I hunted several years near Cortez actually Mancus up priest Gulch back in the late 70's, spent some time in Montrose, the west side of the rookies offer spectacular scenery :aok:
That’s right… Grand Junction. The avatar is of the Maroon Bells near Aspen. Colorado is blessed with incredible scenery. That’s why I’m here. I have enjoyed hiking to the top of many fourteeners, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, big game hunting, four wheeling and golfing in the mountains. Lots of good memories. :aok:

BTW, the Maroon Bells are a difficult climb. We used rope across snow fields as a precautionary measure. Otherwise it demands focus on every footstep across the face of the mountain as the trail is about 8” wide. Not for those who are bothered by heights!
GO PACK GO!!!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

GJPackerBacker wrote:
30 Dec 2021 18:45
Yoop wrote:
30 Dec 2021 12:59
GJPackerBacker wrote:
That’s right… Grand Junction. The avatar is of the Maroon Bells near Aspen. Colorado is blessed with incredible scenery. That’s why I’m here. I have enjoyed hiking to the top of many fourteeners, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, big game hunting, four wheeling and golfing in the mountains. Lots of good memories. :aok:

BTW, the Maroon Bells are a difficult climb. We used rope across snow fields as a precautionary measure. Otherwise it demands focus on every footstep across the face of the mountain as the trail is about 8” wide. Not for those who are bothered by heights!
sooooo jealous, I loved Co. I use to own 5 acres about 5 miles south of Durango just inside the border of NM, just could not get wife to move there so we sold it, but anything a outdoorsy guy could want was within a hours drive, haven't been back now for years, but it's on the bucket list.

the Bells sound awesome, there are a few 14 ers south in the San Juan forest north of Durango , not sure about Priest gulch now, but back in early 80's that was primitive land, no motorized vehicles, and Indians at that time lived up there as though it was still the 19th century, I imagine with all the gas fracking in that area since I was last there ended life as they new it, what a shame.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
29 Dec 2021 07:55
I honestly like the "new age" announcers of Tony Romo more, because I learn more, but the simplicity that Madden brought was just appealing. Moreover, you could absolutely tell the guy ADORED the game. He made people who didn't like football like football because they saw how much he liked football.
This.

He loved football. But he also loved stories. That’s a great combination for a coach, a broadcaster, or any person who wants to inspire.

He had the same kind of joy that I used to see in Brett Favre, long ago. That guy LOVED football.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Got a chance to watch the Madden documentary night before last. Really enjoyed it. Well produced and, like Madden excelled at, told a really good story.

The one thing I wished they’d have done different is spend more time on his coaching days. Like more player stories and interviews from the guys who played for him. We know what it was like to play for Lombardi. I’d have liked more stories of what it was like to play for Madden, especially during the heyday of the Al Davis years. Man, I bet there were some great escapades!

But anyway, we’ll worth the watch.