Big Bob T'Onion Re-signed

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Realist wrote:
20 Mar 2022 12:35
German_Panzer wrote:
20 Mar 2022 10:00
Realist wrote:
20 Mar 2022 09:20
He is not a top ten TE though. Especially with Adams gone. Good hands and the Diva trusts him so he will get some stats. Not a threat IMO.
Will be interesting to see other opinions. In my eyes Tonyan is a threat, kind of like Finley was back then. He is not Kittle or Kelce, but in the row behind them...in my opinion, of course assumed his injuries does not give him baggage but heals out 100%.
Finley was just about to be great. Bums me out to think about. He would still be playing at age 34. Nick Collins is only 38 for that matter. What might have been.
IMO losing Collins like we did was the bigger tragedy.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Tonyan is a legitimate TE with very good receiving skills. He isnt one of those guys who is completely made by the elite QB and dynamic offense. He legitimately runs great routes and he is adept at finding open spaces. Call that elite or average or whatever you want. But he would’ve succeeded just fine if 17 hadn’t ever been on our offense. And if his knee cooperates, he will still succeed just fine. He will never be the first receiving threat, I think. But TEs rarely are.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I wonder why Tonyans 2021 was off to such a slow start (preinjury). What does the tape say about it?

Teams giving him more attention?
Rodgers missing an open Tonyan?
Lost a step?

Literally no idea the answer, but curious.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
19 Mar 2022 19:41
How happy is Skeptic right now?
very

As to why he had a slow year, who wasn't playing LT and who were the 2 rookies on the Oline? And who needed to stay in a little to help out the blocking?

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Mar 2022 07:55
I wonder why Tonyans 2021 was off to such a slow start (preinjury). What does the tape say about it?

Teams giving him more attention?
Rodgers missing an open Tonyan?
Lost a step?

Literally no idea the answer, but curious.
As Skeptic said, part of it was likely the added blocking responsibilities. My other suspicion is the subtle changes to the offensive scheme lessened his opportunities. Someone linked an article early in the season that pointed out the differences between 2021 and 2020 formation and tendency-wise, but I can't remember the details. I think we all noticed that the 2021 offense looked different than the 2020 offense.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
21 Mar 2022 15:28
good deal for us, reports are that he is ahead of rehab schedule, might not mis any games, I agree, increased blocking assignments, and up tempo passing limited his targeted throws, it hurt us then, but is allowing us to retain a player well below his actual dollar value, be nice to have him back. :aok:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I wonder what the price tag would have been without the injury?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

wallyuwl wrote:
21 Mar 2022 17:49
I wonder what the price tag would have been without the injury?
skeptic said eleventy billion I think.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
21 Mar 2022 15:28
Further broken down:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I like it, more than I was expecting to be honest.

I feel like he’s the type of guy who will thrive under that one year prove it contract and I hope he does.

Gunna need him to step up this year.