What to do with Aaron (with season now in dumpster)?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
04 Dec 2022 18:35
Still wasn't impressed by Rodgers today. I think his QB rating was like 85 or something?

I am very much in the camp in hoping we can trade him away this offseason. Another thing I noticed was how "involved" Love was on the sideline. He was in the playbook constantly and was giving the defense high fives every time. Thought that was pretty cool.

Just saw a lot of the same questionable things today. Off target pass. And how many times are we going to bomb it on 3rd and 3 or shorter to Randall Cobb of all people?
I didn't see today's game outside of plays on the NFL Red Zone. I hope to find highlights on youTube later on tonight.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
04 Dec 2022 18:48
go pak go wrote:
Still wasn't impressed by Rodgers today. I think his QB rating was like 85 or something?

I am very much in the camp in hoping we can trade him away this offseason. Another thing I noticed was how "involved" Love was on the sideline. He was in the playbook constantly and was giving the defense high fives every time. Thought that was pretty cool.

Just saw a lot of the same questionable things today. Off target pass. And how many times are we going to bomb it on 3rd and 3 or shorter to Randall Cobb of all people?
I didn't see today's game outside of plays on the NFL Red Zone. I hope to find highlights on youTube later on tonight.
Honestly our offensive line was amazing. Rodgers never had a hint of pressure. AJ Dillon ran great and Christian Watson was the playmaker. This offense is turning into the Offensive Line and Christian Watson show.

A huge Pass Interference was called because Watson destroyed his man. It was an easy TD if the ball was accurate, but instead it was incredibly underthrown. The underthrow though was rewarded because the DB didn't turn his head and ran into Watson as he tried to go back to the ball.

Personally I hate those DPI's as it rewards the offense for a short ball. But that was more of a win on the WR than it was on anything.

Watson is a special, special player. This offense with Watson and Doubs in the future is something to get really excited about.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

The play calling by GB is a problem. I’ve thought so for a long time. But they’ve had enough play makers to make it work, mostly. Some good examples today of how moving the chains usually works pretty well compared to throwing 25-30 yard passes on third and 1. But I can go into that more after the next 24 hours or so.

There were some really good things that our guys did today. OLine was great. The DLine was a little better. They still need to improve, but we have a one-game trend of positive to build on.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
04 Dec 2022 18:52
Pugger wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Honestly our offensive line was amazing. Rodgers never had a hint of pressure. AJ Dillon ran great and Christian Watson was the playmaker. This offense is turning into the Offensive Line and Christian Watson show.

A huge Pass Interference was called because Watson destroyed his man. It was an easy TD if the ball was accurate, but instead it was incredibly underthrown. The underthrow though was rewarded because the DB didn't turn his head and ran into Watson as he tried to go back to the ball.

Personally I hate those DPI's as it rewards the offense for a short ball. But that was more of a win on the WR than it was on anything.

Watson is a special, special player. This offense with Watson and Doubs in the future is something to get really excited about.
Was there a series in the first half where we went for it on 4th down instead of trying a FG? Red Zone showed the failed play but I can't recall if we were in FG range or not...

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pugger wrote:
04 Dec 2022 23:24
go pak go wrote:
Pugger wrote:

Was there a series in the first half where we went for it on 4th down instead of trying a FG? Red Zone showed the failed play but I can't recall if we were in FG range or not...
Yes, they drove to the Chicago 36 before stalling. With the way the winds were blowing, a FG try by Crosby would have been futile.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
04 Dec 2022 23:24
go pak go wrote:
Pugger wrote:

I believe we were 1 for 2 on 4th downs. Christian Watson is our best player right now. He scored on the 4th down but his 3 other catches also came on critical downs.

He doesn't get the volume quite yet, but my goodness his impact per catch is ridiculous.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Da bears game was still, I think, a good example of Aaron in 2022.

He still wants to go deep on too many plays that only require <2 yards to move the chains. The one drive that he kept in the “chain moving” mode, we scored a TD. Like, go for the off-tackle run with Dillon/Jones or do a quick slant or a pass pattern that is good at 4-5 yards. I know that AR is a confident guy and that it “makes sense” to go deep if you have a good situation. But this team has failed on those types of plays this year more than I can count. The fact that he wants to throw further is very predictable. And that helps the defenses, not us.

Aaron can still throw amazing passes. But he needs to do more game managing the rest of his career. (Note the exception with Watson, who will only entice AR further to throw deep more often. But I can hope.)

Also, just as our forum talked much about how AR was too dialed in on Tae Adams, is there any doubt that he will do this with Watson? If this kid just keeps scoring…

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Look at the TDs that Watson has scored this year. How many of those show the defense not even getting close to him? Like, he makes space between himself and the defenders. Yeah, that’s speed. But I think it also shows how he is getting smarter at his job. The game is slowing down for him. And his level is already above many other players.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Scott4Pack wrote:
05 Dec 2022 11:00
Look at the TDs that Watson has scored this year. How many of those show the defense not even getting close to him? Like, he makes space between himself and the defenders. Yeah, that’s speed. But I think it also shows how he is getting smarter at his job. The game is slowing down for him. And his level is already above many other players.
He reminds me a bit of Javon Walker. He looks very promising. I would like to see him add some bulk to his body. It'd be terrible to lose him to a serious injury.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Captain_Ben wrote:
05 Dec 2022 13:38
Scott4Pack wrote:
He reminds me a bit of Javon Walker. He looks very promising. I would like to see him add some bulk to his body. It'd be terrible to lose him to a serious injury.
Sure thing. I also worry about him being dinged up a lot. But maybe he’ll become physically tougher after he’s trained in NFL circles a couple of years. And good players learn how to become tougher too.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Scott4Pack wrote:
05 Dec 2022 17:30
Captain_Ben wrote:
05 Dec 2022 13:38
Scott4Pack wrote:
Sure thing. I also worry about him being dinged up a lot. But maybe he’ll become physically tougher after he’s trained in NFL circles a couple of years. And good players learn how to become tougher too.
I agree. Some of the most transcendent athletes have had to "get tougher" by bulking up. Not even just football. Look up pictures of Michael Jordan in his rookie year. He was a stick. But he had to build up a frame to keep from getting pushed around by the Pistons. Then he became the GOAT.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Scott4Pack wrote:
He’s definitely getting better. The receiving TD he got open and broke back to the ball to help seal off the defender, caught it correctly with his hands. A lot to be excited about. Also lafluer is calling better plays for his style IMO.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
05 Dec 2022 10:59
Also, just as our forum talked much about how AR was too dialed in on Tae Adams, is there any doubt that he will do this with Watson? If this kid just keeps scoring…
Watson would see more targets now with a little better explosion off the LOS and out of his breaks, imo we havn't even glimpsed his ceiling, to bad for Rodgers he wont be around for more off Watson and Doubs, unless he does stay another year, Doubs looked very good earlier this year too, it'll be fun again to have more then 1 very good receiver.

when Rodgers had Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Cooks, he spread the ball around, he targeted Adams because he couldn't depend on the others, Adams naturally becomes the #1 read on most pass plays, there was no way to stop that unless another receiver could show on game film he deserved more #1 read route progressions, obviously some did, but not many matchups would take Tae out of that order, look at the top receivers every season, they have high target numbers too, it's hard to design a pass play and not make Tyreek Hill, or Jefferson etc. Adams your first read, and there probably open and naturally catch a lot of passes :idn:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Thought BG had the most "non-commital" language today regarding on whether he wants Rodgers back next year.

In years past, it was more of a "beg" situation to bring Rodgers back in press conferences. Today it was more, "yeah we would like to have all our players back" when asked if he wants to have Rodgers back next year.

Also sounds like the Packers are leaning towards giving the 5th year option to Love no matter what. At least that was my interpretation of reading through the tea leaves.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
05 Dec 2022 20:21
Scott4Pack wrote:
05 Dec 2022 10:59
Watson would see more targets now with a little better explosion off the LOS and out of his breaks, imo we havn't even glimpsed his ceiling, to bad for Rodgers he wont be around for more off Watson and Doubs, unless he does stay another year, Doubs looked very good earlier this year too, it'll be fun again to have more then 1 very good receiver.

when Rodgers had Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Cooks, he spread the ball around, he targeted Adams because he couldn't depend on the others, Adams naturally becomes the #1 read on most pass plays, there was no way to stop that unless another receiver could show on game film he deserved more #1 read route progressions, obviously some did, but not many matchups would take Tae out of that order, look at the top receivers every season, they have high target numbers too, it's hard to design a pass play and not make Tyreek Hill, or Jefferson etc. Adams your first read, and there probably open and naturally catch a lot of passes :idn:
Throwing to a good receiver when the other receivers are not good is not a bad thing
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

go pak go wrote:
Pugger wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Amazing how people can't see how Rodgers pocket movement helps this line.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Gute has to give Love the 5th year.

Imagine drafting first Rd qb, creating this controversy, him not playing and then letting him walk.

Fire yourself.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
05 Dec 2022 22:59
go pak go wrote:
Pugger wrote:

Yeah.

no. Credit goes to the offensive line for the Bears game. They were incredible. Anything else is a joke and clear bias towards idol worship.
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

All this concern/talk over Love's 5th year option.

The Packers likely know what they have in Love. I think the fan base has a pretty good idea, too.

Assuming Packers' brass feels relatively confident Love is the future, I'd just as soon see a multi-year contract extension next spring, with it the added flexibility of managing cap hits and basically getting him locked up long term at a relative discount, before simply riding the 5th year option for $20ish mil (cash and cap hit) and then paying full cost for an ascending young QB after he's "proved" it.

That is, if they're confident.

Now, granted, that comes with risk. If Love has already plateaued (or [mention]lupedafiasco[/mention] is right and he's trash can juice) then he becomes our very own Zach Wilson and the team will need to be...redefined. That's all beyond the horizon stuff, though.

For the immediate future, either sign him long term next spring or decline the 5th year option altogether and start over in the QB search. My $.02 cents.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
06 Dec 2022 06:13
bud fox wrote:
05 Dec 2022 22:59
go pak go wrote:

Yeah.

no. Credit goes to the offensive line for the Bears game. They were incredible. Anything else is a joke and clear bias towards idol worship.
no, your right, I'd give credit to the OL, but also to Rodgers for being very good at avoiding the pressure when one of our OL man is being pushed right back towards him that happened quite a bit in the Bears game as well as every other game that YOU and others wont give him credit for.