Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Kyle Brandt gets it.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
01 Sep 2023 05:18
Kyle Brandt gets it.

Starting at the 1:05 mark, he nails my thoughts.

Paraphrasing - Aaron Rodgers sucked all the oxygen from any room he entered due to the enormity of his celebrity. This team, and it’s young players, can now breathe again and be the players/personalities they wanna be.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BF004 wrote:
Kyle Brandt gets it.

I agree, all about football and not about yourself.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I knew the kid could throw coming out of college, he can throw a very good ball. He moves well etc. He’s still inexperienced and that comes with learning moments. How painful they’ll be is up in the air. But he’s also not a typical 1st year starter so I expect him to be better than that but a good margin.

If our defense plays collectively like the individual talent should allow it to, there’s no reason we can’t play a style of ball that wins us a lot of games while protecting a young QB but still allow his game to grow during the season without all the hurt.

I loved Rodgers as our QB, all time great, but I’m pretty excited to see Love play. IMO our team severely underperformed last year. I don’t think Love will be close to the QB Rodgers is yet, but I can easily see a season where it doesn’t matter because he’s good enough to take us places. If the rest of the team does their jobs, we’ll go to some nice places.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

musclestang wrote: I don’t think Love will be close to the QB Rodgers is yet, but I can easily see a season where it doesn’t matter because he’s good enough to take us places. If the rest of the team does their jobs, we’ll go to some nice places.
First off, welcome to the forum! Glad to see a new contributor!

To your post, I can very much see Love performing at the same level of QB play as Rodgers was last year. Exceedingly, even. It then becomes a matter of defense and ST playing to their collective abilities. That being an improvement on defense from last year and, at least, treading water on ST.

I can very much see a push for a playoff spot this year should Love and the offense perform as outlined above while defense and ST meet those expectations.

So in essence, that’s a long-winded way of saying I agree with you!

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

APB wrote:
01 Sep 2023 06:22
To your post, I can very much see Love performing at the same level of QB play as Rodgers was last year. Exceedingly, even. It then becomes a matter of defense and ST playing to their collective abilities.
Yeah, 2022 Rodgers isn't nearly the bar that 2011 Rodgers was. Throughout his career I think in general Rodgers' accolades were a bit above reality because his game looks real good on paper. Key 3rd down misses because he passed on easy underneath stuff for the kill shot, again, or when he takes way too many sacks (esp early season) afraid to make a play don't really show up in numbers based ratings. This has especially been true the last few years.

This most recent preseason game though we saw an element in Love that we hadn't seen much; running. There will be situations where young Love's running will get a first down that old Rodgers would throw away. That young Rodgers would have also gotten running.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Man, I don't care about Rodgers's celebrity or off-field anything. Never did. It didn't bother me with Favre either (but the retirement drama with him was definitely annoying).

The reason I never became a hater of Favre like I did with Rodgers was because even though Favre choked away lots of playoff runs like Aaron, at least with Favre you knew he wanted another ring something fierce, and the losses were as devastating for him as it was for us as fans, hell probably even more for him.

Rodgers choked promising seasons away and was unbothered; his post-game pressers were just like "ehhh, what can you do? Lol BYEE!!" In fact, the *only* time I saw Rodgers upset after a game was a game WE WON just because McCarthy didn't call the offense the way Aaron wanted. It was so stupid. He would never accept blame either and make suggestive remarks that it was anyone else's fault without openly throwing people under the bus, which is toxic af. That's why I soured on him. Also Rodgers's cult fans are irritating. I wanted to move on from Favre too but I still had a positive opinion of him as a player. His cult fans were bad, though, definitely worse than Aaron's.

4 played for trophies. 12 played for the MVPs and preserving his historic TD:INT ratio than for 'chips.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
Kyle Brandt gets it.

Exactly. And that is why I wonder how much AR12 actually led to more losses. It’s hard to identify a “cult of personality” as causing underperformance of a team. But football is a team sport. Anytime that one or more players make their celebrity about more than the team and the game, then some of the dynamics of that do affect the team. As this guy put it, “he sucks the air out of the room.” The total environment, at least indirectly, becomes about the one guy.

Now, maybe the only guy we have whose aura is greater than his shadow is possibly Jaire. And nobody is going to say that he makes it all about himself.

I grieve losing AR as a QB and great player. But I’m stoked that his antics are no longer overshadowing the Green Bay Packers.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
01 Sep 2023 08:44
Man, I don't care about Rodgers's celebrity or off-field anything. Never did. It didn't bother me with Favre either (but the retirement drama with him was definitely annoying).

The reason I never became a hater of Favre like I did with Rodgers was because even though Favre choked away lots of playoff runs like Aaron, at least with Favre you knew he wanted another ring something fierce, and the losses were as devastating for him as it was for us as fans, hell probably even more for him.

Rodgers choked promising seasons away and was unbothered; his post-game pressers were just like "ehhh, what can you do? Lol BYEE!!" In fact, the *only* time I saw Rodgers upset after a game was a game WE WON just because McCarthy didn't call the offense the way Aaron wanted. It was so stupid. He would never accept blame either and make suggestive remarks that it was anyone else's fault without openly throwing people under the bus, which is toxic af. That's why I soured on him. Also Rodgers's cult fans are irritating. I wanted to move on from Favre too but I still had a positive opinion of him as a player. His cult fans were bad, though, definitely worse than Aaron's.

4 played for trophies. 12 played for the MVPs and preserving his historic TD:INT ratio than for 'chips.
most fans would have taken Favre back in 08, no one new Rodgers would be another HOF QB, I think it's different now with Love because fans have very personal feelings about Rodgers, his appearance of give a &%$@ attitude turns a lot of people off even though it just a mask he wears for his ego protection, but there is no arguing that it's offensive.

theres no doubt that Rodgers thinks he knows better how to run this team then those that presently run it, and that was obvious the last year McCarthy was here, no one will ever convince me that he didn't see the checkdown receivers he refused to throw to, imho that was Rodgers telling Gutekunst he needed ready to play receivers to run the schemes McCarthy was using, why keep a coach another season if ya wont get him the players to make those iso vert passing routes work, drafting Brown, MVS, and ? was not going to help that season.

Rodgers never saw eye to eye with Gutekunst till he drafted Watson, by then it was to late.

people blame Rodgers for the PO losses, and now praise Gute for rebuilding the receiver positions, just freaking hilarious :rotf:

Rodgers will be right back to MVP form with the Jets this year, Rodgers wasn't the reason for our losses, he just couldn't carry this team any longer.

as a person I don't have to like him, but he'll be remembered as one of the best to ever play.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

BF004 wrote:
Kyle Brandt gets it.

I like the video and basically agree with the guy. Just playing devil's advocate here but what exactly would Jordan Love be focusing on if not football? At this point, he's trying to take Step 1, i.e., prove that I am competent and can handle my &%$@ on the gridiron. He basically has 1 season to prove that or he's probably out. Of course he's all about football in that scenario- who wouldn't be? Rodgers was "all about football" in his first few years too.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
01 Sep 2023 09:14
theres no doubt that Rodgers thinks he knows better how to run this team then those that presently run it, and that was obvious the last year McCarthy was here, no one will ever convince me that he didn't see the checkdown receivers he refused to throw to, imho that was Rodgers telling Gutekunst he needed ready to play receivers to run the schemes McCarthy was using, why keep a coach another season if ya wont get him the players to make those iso vert passing routes work, drafting Brown, MVS, and ? was not going to help that season.

people blame Rodgers for the PO losses, and now praise Gute for rebuilding the receiver positions, just freaking hilarious :rotf:
It has nothing to do with PO losses, or whatever you are babbling about receivers. Favre had worse PO losses, and had wayyyyyy more reason to be unhappy with his WR situation than Rodgers ever did, but he never stopped playing hard, and never quiet-quit on the team as you claim Rodgers did (a defense you make that actually makes him look worse than any of the negative stuff I say about him! :rotf: ). And #4 was invested wholly in a trophy, whereas Rodgers seemed more invested in his MVPs and silly stats (namely TD:INT ratio).

That is why I have hate for Rodgers that I didn't have for Favre.
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
01 Sep 2023 10:58
I never hated either of them, and until the last 2 years or each of their careers in GB I was very much of a fan. But both were hurting the team late in their careers. Favre seems to have learned a little humility in his last season with the Vikings, and I give him credit for that. That humility has made him a better man.

I expect that Rodgers will fail miserably in New York - but he gets the 65%.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I'm just glad we have a QB that looks like he won't ignore the middle of the field :)
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Sep 2023 12:21
Labrev wrote:
01 Sep 2023 10:58
I expect that Rodgers will fail miserably in New York - but he gets the 65%.
He will get to 65% minus injury. Agreed both :favre: and AR hurt the team their last couple years. I don't dislike either, it shows they are humans and flawed. But it was time to move on from BF in 2008 and it was time to move on from AR this year. I also think the JETS don't meet expectations, not with that OL. Maybe they sneak into the playoffs as a 6 or 7. Maybe they get the OL fixed next year but not sure AR will have the focus next year that he will have this year. And they don't have much for pass catchers.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah I could totally see NYJ struggle on offense. I could see them being good, too, neither would surprise me, but I doubt it will be as great as many are expecting. OL is a big concern, and Rodgers still likes to extend plays but does not have the legs to outrun defenders like he once did. That will be a big issue.

But I think the even bigger issue is, who is running the offense? Saleh is a D guy, so the O will be run by Hackett and Rodgers.

I know Packer fans are very fond of Nate from his time with us but I really don't think he's very good. I think he mostly just rode MLF/AR's coattails. He was the RedZone guy for us in his time here, and his first year of it was good, but then in his last year it was an issue, even though we had lots of nice skill players on O (it was largely the same group, *plus* Cobb). He was dismal before in JAX and after in DEN. He's a likable guy for sure and I want to pull for him, but I really don't think he's much good even just as O-Coord.

And Rodgers will have a big hand in crafting the O playbook, which is also probably not good. We tried that out in like 2015 with him and Tom Clements at OC running the offense after Mac fired himself from playcalling, and it went pretty badly. Mac had to take playcalling duties back, much to Aaron's chagrin. It was still bad after that but still better than when Tom and Aaron were running the show.

I think they will eke into the playoffs and have some nice games/moments, but I think they will finish the year as a Mid unit.
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Zero week of the new QB regime and the thread about his prospects has shifted focus to the old regime, yet again

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Sep 2023 14:10
Zero week of the new QB regime and the thread about his prospects has shifted focus to the old regime, yet again
Love will always be judged by comparison to Rodgers and Favre. It may not be fair but that is what it is. The good part is that it is very possible that Love will be better than either, in the playoffs, when it counts. We have 9 days till the Packers destroy the dumpster diving vermin from Chicago, got to talk about something....

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Sep 2023 14:10
Come now, [mention]YoHoChecko[/mention], this what we do…

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

APB wrote:
01 Sep 2023 15:02
this is what we do…
this is what you USED to do, its a new regime in Titletown :mrgreen:

IT. IS. TIME

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I’ve been quiet and cautious but I’m done. This year, top 5 in MVP voting (I’m gonna throw some money down) wins one in the next two seasons and Super Bowl Champs in the next 4 years.

Read More. Post Less.