Jeff Hafley Packers new DC

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who?

Who?
30%
Fire Gute
No votes
Fire Murphy
No votes
Fire LaCoach
4%
Fire Hafley
No votes
Super Bowl
65%

Total votes: 23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Feb 2024 11:38
Yoop wrote:
02 Feb 2024 11:31
go pak go wrote:
02 Feb 2024 11:21

Read posts and you would know the answer.

The whole point was to show the program's results before, during, and after Hafley was there. That way you can see what impact Hafley had on the results.

Was his defense good at Ohio State becuase it is Ohio State? Or did Hafley make Ohio State better or worse than normal during his time there?

Same question for BC which is what Pckfn23 brought to help spark conversation.
guilty for simply answering a question, Guilty for not looking 2 or 3 pages back for the question.

again the reason for Hafleys struggles in those programs is so obvious, no one needs this stuff to understand that, and it really doesn't explain anything.

you guys as always are just looking for a fight
Who said he struggled????

That very question proves it is not us, but you sir.
act dense as a stump if ya like, obviously those stats say he struggled, you can explain this stuff any way you like, your as easy to read as a novel.

anyone popping in would have come to the same conclusion I did, those stats paint failure, and when you first brought them minus any explanation I took them at face value, just as most folks would, nice try :thwap:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

You are off your rocker, Mike.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
02 Feb 2024 11:47
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

guilty for simply answering a question, Guilty for not looking 2 or 3 pages back for the question.

again the reason for Hafleys struggles in those programs is so obvious, no one needs this stuff to understand that, and it really doesn't explain anything.

act dense as a stump if ya like, obviously those stats say he struggled, you can explain this stuff any way you like, your as easy to read as a novel.

anyone popping in would have come to the same conclusion I did, those stats paint failure, and when you first brought them minus any explanation I took them at face value, just as most folks would, nice try :thwap:
Says the person who thinks the stats show he coached at both OSU and BC in 2019...

You may want to look at the stats yet again if you think they show failure. No one but you thinks that is what they show.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 02 Feb 2024 11:51, edited 2 times in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:

Why are you so bullish on this hill that Hafley struggled?

He took Ohio State to heights they hadn't experienced before. He also crushed it with BC before the new college landscape kicked in.

I don't think he struggled. I think he had a positive impact that doesn't require much defense outside of his 2022 and 2023 defense which again can be help explained by the new college landscape.

Is this turning into a repeat episode similar to the miscounting yards on deep throws?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl wrote:
01 Feb 2024 21:09
Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Feb 2024 21:04
Trudge wrote:
01 Feb 2024 20:52

He's getting $5+ million from us cause we pushed some money out to him. So for the first year he could take minimum and then whatever he thinks he could get after. Might be interested in doing a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option for him. Food for thought.
That's a really good point. He's going to cost almost $5.5 on the 2024 cap if he isn't on the roster.
Another bad contract by Gute. He said today he has no problem back loading contracts for big cap hits later. We'll, now Bak and Savage alone will cost like $25 million against the cap and not even be on the team.
Great, so what, we give $28 million this year and not put it on the books till later years.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Feb 2024 11:50
Yoop wrote:
02 Feb 2024 11:47
Pckfn23 wrote:

Says the person who thinks the stats show he coached at both OSU and BC in 2019...

You may want to look at the stats yet again if you think they show failure. No one but you thinks that is what they show.
everyone does except you and your peanut gallery, I doubt anyone not concerned with making me look bad did.

I'am done with you, your the most frustrating person to talk to in this forum, and others feel the same way

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
02 Feb 2024 11:50
Yoop wrote:

Why are you so bullish on this hill that Hafley struggled?

He took Ohio State to heights they hadn't experienced before. He also crushed it with BC before the new college landscape kicked in.

I don't think he struggled. I think he had a positive impact that doesn't require much defense outside of his 2022 and 2023 defense which again can be help explained by the new college landscape.

Is this turning into a repeat episode similar to the miscounting yards on deep throws?
I never said he struggled those stats do, at least on face value with no explanation.

your trying to paint me in that light and it's complete BS nuff said

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

[mention]Yoop[/mention] no, the stats do not say that. You wanted to fight, so you made an assumption that doesn't fit what was posted.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Feb 2024 12:09
@Yoop no, the stats do not say that. You wanted to fight, so you made an assumption that doesn't fit what was posted.
pull your head out of your lower unit, I simply answered 004, it had absolutely nothing to do with you, I simply saw the quote from 004.

I'am done with this &%$@ from you, every fking morning your throwing punches and blaming me for starting fights, and that not true.

explain the stuff you bring, problem solved

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

So I've been reading this thread and seeing some stuff on X about the hire. Wanted to become more informed before putting my 2 cents in, since I had never heard of the guy.

It sounds like he was the #1 choice of MLF, that he just needed to satisfy the Rooney Rule and they also wanted to do their due diligence in looking at other options to see if anyone blew them away. So that is kind of reassuring that Hafley didn't "blow it" but also kind of concerning that there was kind of a preferred outcome all along (it is unsurprising the preferred outcome is what happened).

But as for Hafley himself, I'm kind of wait and see. His philosophy does seem to be a better fit for the current personnel. And it gets rid of the "death by 1000 cuts" philosophy of the last two coordinators. More aggressive might get you more big plays given up, but also should lead to more turnovers and getting off the field. Barry's units were bad at both of those things, which keeps the offense (Packers) off the field and gets the defense tired. This is likely a big reason why they wilt at the end of games and can't make a stop - they are tired (and the play calling of going into prevent - but fatigue is a factor, too).

His specialty is DBs. I think that is why Hafley was top choice all along. It was clear from Gute yesterday in his presser that he wants to improve on the back end of the defense (and seems relatively satisfied with the front 6). Expect few if any of the DB FAs to return.

All in all, he can't be worse than Barry. Can he? Optimistic that at the very least we'll see more attacking style and more turnovers.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
02 Feb 2024 12:14
Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Feb 2024 12:09
@Yoop no, the stats do not say that. You wanted to fight, so you made an assumption that doesn't fit what was posted.
pull your head out of your lower unit, I simply answered 004, it had absolutely nothing to do with you, I simply saw the quote from 004.

I'am done with this &%$@ from you, every fking morning your throwing punches and blaming me for starting fights, and that not true.

explain the stuff you bring, problem solved
Why do you keep posting if you are done?

This had everything to do with me as you made an erroneous claim that had to do with me. You answered BF without having ANY clue what you were looking at. You made a BAD assumption that the stats show Hafley struggled at his respective colleges simply because you wanted some action.

There wasn't anything to explain. It was obvious what the stats were and that was all they were.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Jan 2024 19:14
That clip starts with him saying his defenses look to stop the QB running game.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Any word since Hafley's hiring regarding the rest of the defensive staff? Is he bringing in any of his own guys?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Refutes what Mike Lombardi stated regarding Hafley as the original and top choice.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
02 Feb 2024 14:49
Refutes what Mike Lombardi stated regarding Hafley as the original and top choice.

I think this just continues to show we don't know things. So best to not make daming conclusions or jump to conclusions like "MLF only hires his buddies" or "MLF had this guy in sights all along and every other interview was a formality"

The fact is we don't know.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

some context, I think we ended up with the better cord

https://atozsports.com/green-bay/packer ... ff-hafley/

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
31 Jan 2024 19:32
This guy has great eyebrows! And a gravelly voice. He'll be great!
:lol:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

I suggest we wait and see how he runs the defense before we decide MLF screwed up in finding another DC.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I think one of the reasons MLF went young and unproven as opposed to an established vet coach is he wants to create a coaching tree legacy.

Like Holmgren: Gruden, Reid, Mooch, etc. Also Mike Shanahan left a coaching legacy.

Unfortunately for LaFleur, at least so far, he hasn’t been creating one.

Nathaniel Hackett was fired after one year as a HC and now is kind of looked upon as a joke. The punchline being that when Rodgers retires he’ll be out of a job.

Getty was fired from the Bears as OC.

Hopefully Tim Lester will be successful at Iowa.

Can’t think of anyone else off the top of my head.

MLF is still young and if he wins a SB, it will offer opportunities for his staff to advance in their careers and LaFleur will leave his legacy. Let’s hope that happens.
Love is the answer…

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Foosball wrote:
02 Feb 2024 17:32
I think one of the reasons MLF went young and unproven as opposed to an established vet coach is he wants to create a coaching tree legacy.

Like Holmgren: Gruden, Reid, Mooch, etc. Also Mike Shanahan left a coaching legacy.

Unfortunately for LaFleur, at least so far, he hasn’t been creating one.

Nathaniel Hackett was fired after one year as a HC and now is kind of looked upon as a joke. The punchline being that when Rodgers retires he’ll be out of a job.

Getty was fired from the Bears as OC.

Hopefully Tim Lester will be successful at Iowa.

Can’t think of anyone else off the top of my head.

MLF is still young and if he wins a SB, it will offer opportunities for his staff to advance in their careers and LaFleur will leave his legacy. Let’s hope that happens.
I don't think of Hafley as either young or inexperienced. Respectfully, I don't think creating a legacy is on his mind at all. You create a legacy by having sustained success. IMO the hire is who gives the GBP the best chance to win.