Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
01 May 2020 14:07
il be very upset if we ever change uniforms. i love our uniforms. Great job Ted!!!
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

On the uniforms:
"I wanted to change the uniforms just to get the stigma (of defeat) away," Wolf told the newspaper.

The best part of the story is how the new designs – the team commissioned three different styles, according to the Journal Sentinel – made it on to the field … not in a game but on the back of the man who would eventually replace Favre with Aaron Rodgers, now-general manager Ted Thompson.

"He (Thompson) was on the field down there all by himself," Wolf told the newspaper. "The guy ran up and down the field. I was thinking to myself, ‘Holy (expletive), I must have been smoking dope.

"All it took was that one trip up and down the field for me to say, ‘(Expletive), that’s terrible. No, no, no. There’s no way we can do this. We would have changed it, but after that I said, ‘This is foolish.’ "
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

image.png
image.png (69.82 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Good Lord. What was Wolf thinking. This is not the AFL for crying out loud.

If you have the most storied franchise in American sports you don't mess with the uniforms.

The Browns got away from their classic look and have only just now got back to it.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

British wrote:
01 May 2020 17:35

If you have the most storied franchise in American sports you don't mess with the uniforms.

The Browns got away from their classic look and have only just now got back to it.
Names on the jersey is not classic NFL. That came from the AFL, As are the numbers on the sleeve. Again AFL

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

British wrote:

I guess that all depends on what you view as "our uniforms". We have had many colors and renditions over the time.

But I do honestly think our white jerseys with yellow pants and helmet is the sharpest unfi in the league.
Yoop wrote:

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Raptorman wrote:
01 May 2020 20:02
British wrote:

Names on the jersey is not classic NFL. That came from the AFL, As are the numbers on the sleeve. Again AFL

Nice pic. I guess this proves the point. The AFL = changing the unis.

But I'm not anti-AFL. Full Color Football a truly great documentary series.

The bottom line is if you have an iconic uniform do not mess with it.

Personally I love the Packer's home jerseys. In the UK that dark shade is called British Racing Green.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_racing_green

image.png
image.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 587 times

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Da Bears decline Trubisky's 5th year option. And still suck.

Hit rate of the top 10 picks of the 2017 draft (at least for originsl team) = 50%.

PFT:
Second overall pick Mitch Trubisky, third overall pick Solomon Thomas, fourth overall pick Leonard Fournette, fifth overall pick Corey Davis and ninth overall pick John Ross all had their options declined.

First overall pick Myles Garrett, sixth overall pick Jamal Adams, seventh overall pick Mike Williams and 10th overall pick Patrick Mahomes all had their options picked up. Eighth overall pick Christian McCaffrey got a contract extension before the fifth-year option deadline.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Don Shula has passed away.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I had never heard or saw this before, but...

:shock:

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I was interested, but a bit skeptical:

The dates are the same.
Both broke the same bones.
Theismann was tackled at the 41.
Smith was tackled at the 39.
1985 Redskins won 23-21.
1985 was Monday night.
2018 Redskins lost 21-23.
2018 was Sunday afternoon.
Joe Jacoby was out, but it was TE #85 Don Warren who got beat by Lawrence Taylor.
Trent Williams was out, looks like Morgan Moses was in (can't really tell). He was blocking Clowney with help from the LG. DB blitz from the right side and JJ Watt get to Smith.
Both Watt and Taylor were in on the tackles that broke the respective QBs' leg.
Taylor was a 4 time Pro Bowler during the game, but only a 2 time Defensive Player of the Year.
Watt was a 4 time Pro Bowler during the game and a 3 time Defensive Player of the Year.

Interestingly similar though.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I'm sure we've all seen this.

Packers have that 2nd round history with WR, so thought this would be interesting to see.

2nd round TD receptions since 2005. Now not all of Jennings or Cobbs or even Jordy's (I don't think) TD's came from Rodgers, but most of them sure did.
image.png
image.png (52.85 KiB) Viewed 474 times

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Anyone seeing this Brett Favre embezzlement scheme stuff?
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
05 May 2020 12:09

Packers have that 2nd round history with WR, so thought this would be interesting to see.

2nd round TD receptions since 2005. Now not all of Jennings or Cobbs or even Jordy's (I don't think) TD's came from Rodgers, but most of them sure did.
image.png
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18&hilit=franks&start=360

Starts on that page, almost at the bottom, goes into Page 20 & 21.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 05 May 2020 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
05 May 2020 12:10
Anyone seeing this Brett Favre embezzlement scheme stuff?
Yup, but it's all so vague at this point. We'll see once Favre responds.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
05 May 2020 12:09
I'm sure we've all seen this.
Busted up the 0 streak with the TD pass to Big Dog this past year. He ALMOST had another one in 2014. If Julius Peppers had held onto the pass. Huge turning point in that game, BTW.

How weird would that be if his only TD pass to a 1st-rounder was to a defensive player?

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

salmar80 wrote:
05 May 2020 12:31
We'll see once Favre responds.
Now there is something we, at least, know we can count on.

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

NCF wrote:
05 May 2020 12:33
salmar80 wrote:
Answer he did:

Don't think I've ever quoted Biloxi SunHerald before:
State Auditor Shad White revealed the payments earlier this week through an audit that indicated the Hancock County, Mississippi, native received payments of $600,000 and $500,000 for speeches that he did not make.

On Wednesday, White announced that Favre had decided to pay the money back.

“Today my office has received $500,000 from Brett Favre in repayment for TANF money he was paid through MCEC and a commitment to repay the remainder in installments over the next few months,” White said in a statement. “The money will be held in our clearing account for a period and then be sent, in full, to the Mississippi Department of Human Services to be used for TANF-appropriate expenditures.

“I want to applaud Mr. Favre for his good faith effort to make this right and make the taxpayers and TANF families whole. To date, we have seen no records indicating Mr. Favre knew that TANF was the program that served as the source of the money he was paid.”

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

salmar80 wrote:
07 May 2020 04:47
NCF wrote:
05 May 2020 12:33
salmar80 wrote:
Answer he did:

Don't think I've ever quoted Biloxi SunHerald before:
State Auditor Shad White revealed the payments earlier this week through an audit that indicated the Hancock County, Mississippi, native received payments of $600,000 and $500,000 for speeches that he did not make.

On Wednesday, White announced that Favre had decided to pay the money back.

“Today my office has received $500,000 from Brett Favre in repayment for TANF money he was paid through MCEC and a commitment to repay the remainder in installments over the next few months,” White said in a statement. “The money will be held in our clearing account for a period and then be sent, in full, to the Mississippi Department of Human Services to be used for TANF-appropriate expenditures.

“I want to applaud Mr. Favre for his good faith effort to make this right and make the taxpayers and TANF families whole. To date, we have seen no records indicating Mr. Favre knew that TANF was the program that served as the source of the money he was paid.”
Sounds like he handled the situation with honor. Good Job, Favre.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Earl Thomas involved in a drama so wild I'm not even gonna try to summarize it. :shock: :messedup:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/06/earl-tho ... legations/