Pettine out - New DC is Joe Barry

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2021 18:47
imagine that, fans have a preference when it comes to replacing Petine, I wanted Leonard and I make no bones about it, I researched all these coaches and he was my preference, Barry was way down my list, the average salary for NFL DC is about 850,000 , Leonard Made 1.3 mil. at WI, unless we offered him that why would he come, Barry's defenses have sucked, hopefully it was do to lack of talent, to think Fans should just accept everything the FO does is silly, where not sheep, hopefully Lafluer made a good choice
IDK where you are going here bc I haven't seen 1 post about "accepting" everything the front office does or being sheep. I mean we kind of have to accept it right. What say does a fan have :)

That's all good if ppl have other preferences. I think most did. but to think the sky is falling today without the guy even getting in the door is a little over the top also. It is what it is but im not jumping off the roof tonight

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
06 Feb 2021 19:39
Yoop wrote:
imagine that, fans have a preference when it comes to replacing Petine, I wanted Leonard and I make no bones about it, I researched all these coaches and he was my preference, Barry was way down my list, the average salary for NFL DC is about 850,000 , Leonard Made 1.3 mil. at WI, unless we offered him that why would he come, Barry's defenses have sucked, hopefully it was do to lack of talent, to think Fans should just accept everything the FO does is silly, where not sheep, hopefully Lafluer made a good choice
IDK where you are going here bc I haven't seen 1 post about "accepting" everything the front office does or being sheep. I mean we kind of have to accept it right. What say does a fan have :)

That's all good if ppl have other preferences. I think most did. but to think the sky is falling today without the guy even getting in the door is a little over the top also. It is what it is but im not jumping off the roof tonight
He's bringing up old arguments and beefs on the front office and forum that he has said he has gotten over and moved on months ago but always brings up whenever possible.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I was responding to this from Pckfn 23,

We don't even have a DC hired yet and doom and gloom is already being thrown around. I would say I am surprised, but I am not...
I felt he directed this towards my comment

I made a joke about wanting Leonard and disliking matt's choice of Barry, obviously I know we have no control, I also know Matt knows far better then any of us concerning the qualifications and team fit of these prospects, I simply wanted Leonard, and no the sky is not falling, but there are a few puzzling things with Barry, passed over with McVay twice with DC hires, hey hope he ends up great

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
06 Feb 2021 19:44
Backthepack4ever wrote:
Yoop wrote:

He's bringing up old arguments and beefs on the front office and forum that he has said he has gotten over and moved on months ago but always brings up whenever possible.
you know what they say about opinions

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2021 20:18

I made a joke about wanting Leonard and disliking matt's choice of Barry, obviously I know we have no control, I also know Matt knows far better then any of us concerning the qualifications and team fit of these prospects, I simply wanted Leonard, and no the sky is not falling, but there are a few puzzling things with Barry, passed over with McVay twice with DC hires, hey hope he ends up great
I agree that I don't think we should just all be praising and celebrating the move.

I am not personally excited. I was excited about Leohnard. I think really the reason why is because it's never fun or exciting when you have to go the backup plan. Which we totally did.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Did MLF not even interview Wade Phillips?

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
05 Feb 2021 05:55
texas wrote:
05 Feb 2021 01:11
Ok I hear all of your arguments. I still want actual criminals. CMIII was always kind of goofy. I don't really want goofy. Woodson owns a wine company. I'd rather have Johnny Jolly-style players who own a purple drank or lean company in Houston's 5th ward. Ndamukong Suh qualifies because although he's not a criminal, he's a piece of &%$@.

The feared Ravens defense of the 2000s literally had a murderer at ILB and look how that worked out for them. 2 SBs and not only was he a legend himself, he shared his secrets with younger ILBs and now they're always good at the position in Baltimore.
You don't have to be a thug to do that. Adrian Amos, Z Smith, Kenny Clark, Jaire Alexander all have proven you don't have to be a thug to be an incredible defensive player.
Yeah but they're all sitting at home while the likes of Antoine Winfield Jr and Sean Murphy-Bunting are playing for a title. There is a quality our guys, however skilled technically they are, don't have. I just get the feeling that if the 2013 LOB would have started to get blown out at SF last year, they wouldn't have looked shellshocked like our defensive blue chips did, they would have started swinging punches instead.
We said the same thing about the 2009 Packers defense after they got blown out in AZ. Even though they had stars, they didn't have that "killer instinct" until they did the following year.

Our defense would have been lauded for having the "killer instinct" if our offense would have just done its job in the 4th quarter and caught the 2 pt. conversion and found the endzone at least once out of 3 attempts.

But I will agree with our lack of aggression. That has been a very frustrating thing. I don't want Kevin King back for the very reason that he watched Darnell Savage make a tackle vs Carolina rather than help him out and aid in the tackle. We need 11 hats on the ball at all times.

And I loved Johnny Jollly. But Jolly also cost us huge in 2009 vs the Vikes at home by picking a personal foul call on a 3rd down we stopped them on and led to a MN score. Jolly also then hurt us by dealing codeine and we then found ourselves without a Dlinemen indefinitely. We won a SB with Jolly suspended. We gave up over 50 points in a playoff game with Jolly in the lineup.
I don't think the 2010 defense had killer instinct. I think looking back, they were just so much better personnel-wise that it didn't matter what they did. Woodson is a top all time CB. Tramon was maybe a top 3 CB around then. Sam Shields was our nickelback... Nick Collins probably would have been a top 3 all time safety had he had a full career. CMIII was in his prime, playing near a DPOY level. People forget Cullen Jenkins, but he was also probably a top-3 DL in the NFL around then.

So I guess if Rashan Gary gets unleashed and is DPOY material like we're thinking he could be, PLUS we get a CB who steps up into being a top 5 option along with Jaire, PLUS another CB steps up, we'll have a similar makeup to our defense and then yeah, we wouldn't need any criminals. But short of that, I'd rather have guys like TB has who just mug the WRs up and down the field.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

texas wrote:
07 Feb 2021 01:50
But short of that, I'd rather have guys like TB has who just mug the WRs up and down the field.
I mean we have that.

But people don't really like that when they get caught.

Let's call it for what it was. The Bucs got lucky as sh*t. I keep watching that Rodgers interception and keep getting more and more pissed how they don't call that a flag but called King a flag.

he literally used Allan Lazard to sling shot in order to make the play.

Like that gets called OPI all the time and yet they didn't call it DPI.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

German_Panzer wrote:
06 Feb 2021 21:57
Did MLF not even interview Wade Phillips?
the average DC in the nfl makes 850,000, Wade is the highest paid DC at plus 2 mil. any more questions?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
07 Feb 2021 07:06
texas wrote:
But short of that, I'd rather have guys like TB has who just mug the WRs up and down the field.
I mean we have that.

Let's call it for what it was. The Bucs got lucky as sh*t. I keep watching that Rodgers interception and keep getting more and more pissed how they don't call that a flag but called King a flag.

The inconsistency of officiating is what drives me crazy. Don't change what you are calling in the post season. If it is a foul in week 17 it is ALWAYS a foul. King's DPI was so blatant it had to be called. What is even more frustrating is the damn fool didn't even need to grab the jersey. :messedup:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
07 Feb 2021 08:33
go pak go wrote:
texas wrote:
I mean we have that.

The inconsistency of officiating is what drives me crazy. Don't change what you are calling in the post season. If it is a foul in week 17 it is ALWAYS a foul. King's DPI was so blatant it had to be called. What is even more frustrating is the damn fool didn't even need to grab the jersey. :messedup:
didn't he grab the jersey then switch hands cause he didn't have a good enough grip? :lol: the inconsistency of officiating is what hurts, when ya don't know what will be called then you either gamble that it wont be called or play it safe expecting it will be.

It seems about 8 or so years back when the league clamped down on PI and holding, along with head to head contact and a few others my memory can't recall, good stuff imho, it's so much easier to cover a guy when ya get to hold a arm, a shirt, the waist band, or some other form of interference.

I really love the saying "letting them play" which translates to basically NO calls, unless it's so flagrant we'll get our butts in a sling if we don't call it which as in the old days gives the defense unfair advantage.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
07 Feb 2021 09:07
Pugger wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I mean we have that.

didn't he grab the jersey then switch hands cause he didn't have a good enough grip? :lol: the inconsistency of officiating is what hurts, when ya don't know what will be called then you either gamble that it wont be called or play it safe expecting it will be.

It seems about 8 or so years back when the league clamped down on PI and holding, along with head to head contact and a few others my memory can't recall, good stuff imho, it's so much easier to cover a guy when ya get to hold a arm, a shirt, the waist band, or some other form of interference.

I really love the saying "letting them play" which translates to basically NO calls, unless it's so flagrant we'll get our butts in a sling if we don't call it which as in the old days gives the defense unfair advantage.
This why Max McGee getting behind the Raiders secondary on 3rd and short for a TD in Super Bowl 2 was so amazing. The Raiders knew it was coming, the rules back then allowed the defender to mug the receiver........but Max still broke completely free. Incredible clutch playoff football.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Pugger wrote:
go pak go wrote:
texas wrote:
I mean we have that.

This is a gripe I have with sports in general, more and more bad officiating on every level and every sport.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

And I hate the "you can't blame the refs" crap.

Like no. The refs and a stupid rule cost the Raiders a SB rune in 2001. The refs cost the Saints a SB shot in 2018. The refs cost the Packers a shot at the SB in 2020.

Let's call it what it is.
Yoop wrote:

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
09 Feb 2021 18:34

Like no. The refs and a stupid rule cost the Raiders a SB rune in 2001. The refs cost the Saints a SB shot in 2018. The refs cost the Packers a shot at the SB in 2020.

Half the refs in the NFL could be replaced with mannequin's and nobody would notice the difference.

And while were on this subject, I really hate when I see a ref throw a flag and then he has a pow wow with the rest of the crew. My first thought is, you're the one who threw the flag, why are you having a conference?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Christo wrote:
09 Feb 2021 19:55
go pak go wrote:

Half the refs in the NFL could be replaced with mannequin's and nobody would notice the difference.

And while were on this subject, I really hate when I see a ref throw a flag and then he has a pow wow with the rest of the crew. My first thought is, you're the one who threw the flag, why are you having a conference?
The mannequins would do a better job than some of those zebras too. :?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:

Agreed. Two things can be right at the same time. Yes the Packers should have played better to not be in that position but also the refs shouldn’t have sucked at their job.

I personally don’t have much patience for people who are inept at doing what they get paid to do.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:

The really terrible call in our game that got me upset was not calling for DPI or at the very least D holding on that DB who mugged Lazard and was awarded a pick. :evil: If they don't get that turnover you just never know...

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
10 Feb 2021 09:14
go pak go wrote:

The really terrible call in our game that got me upset was not calling for DPI or at the very least D holding on that DB who mugged Lazard and was awarded a pick. :evil: If they don't get that turnover you just never know...
For sure. I get it if your going "let the players play".

But the complete hypocrisy of allowing the Bucs to do their sh*t all night, including allowing a freaking sling shot move to make a pick....like that is the most obvious Pass Interference call in the world to make, but then call what they did on Kevin on a ball that was not catchable.

That's what I have a gripe with. If you're gonna let the players play fine. But then to finally throw a flag on the final play of the game to end it....

That sh*t is inexcusable.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pugger wrote:
10 Feb 2021 09:14
go pak go wrote:

Should have been DPI giving us the ball at the 40 with 45 seconds left and a chance to make it realistically 13-14 with us getting the ball at half and momentum in our favor.

That was the biggest blunder by the referees in the game. I’m not sure how you can’t call that one and call the other. Blows my mind. That one missed call was the result of a maximum 14 point swing in our favor considering if we scored a TD and they don’t even get the opportunity.
Cancelled by the forum elites.