49ers @ Packers - NFCD Playoff GDT - 1/22 - 7:15 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I thought this was a great episode today and Mike Wahle really helped reconcile how I am feeling about our team (especially in threnches) versus the national media narrative. We are not soft on defense, but we are definitely not deep on the interior DL.

1.) The 49ers have the advantage on the OL vs our DL. I think this is false. Trent Williams is a match-up advantage against us (and every team they play), but aside from that, our DL can match up with their OL and win one-on-one battles consistently.

2.) Where the 49ers can create an advantage is wearing down our DL and exposing our lack of depth. If they can stick to the run and get the game into the 4th quarter without having to become one dimensional, I would quickly get more concerned. We can hold up early, but can we hold up all game?

3.) Our best run defense is our offense. Get a few stops in the first half and build a lead and it will force Jimmy to become a bigger factor.

Read More. Post Less.

Jonnydel49
Reactions:

Post by Jonnydel49 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Jan 2022 08:11
We like to play C3 buzz and using matching principles. So, for example, if Adams is the X in a condensed split and goes vertical, the safety in the hook will match vertical or if there's an over route from the strong side, the safety will match that, with no vertical. If there's a vertical from the split end down the seam, the deep middle safety, in push coverage, will match the over.
A match cover 3 is interesting. I would say that's probably because of the deficiencies in the secondary, but at the same time it really puts pressure on the outside corners to cover. It might explain why #1 WRs are torching the 49ers. Might not be a good plan against Davante Adams and Aaron Rodgers.
Sort of, but matching has been around a long time and is used by a number of teams. Bellichick uses it when he's not running man, Seattle used it for years, still does, even when Sherman was all-pro.

It's more used to combat the vertical stretches of a C3 that are common.

The bigger reason we struggle against big time wideouts is we just don't believe in double teaming or rolling coverage.

It's almost opposite of Bellichick who will double and roll coverage to a teams primary weapon. We're got g to run our system, take away what we will and so if an opposing team wants to out their best player in the optimal spit against us so be it.

For example and some I saw on film, if GB wants to get Adams the ball in an advantageous position, they might put him in close and run an ohio+stick concept where he'd be primary and would most likely be open. GB did this the last few times we played them.

The flip side, and this happened in 2019, is then you can go C2 zone at the right time, you have a favorable matchup of safety on a lesser threat and you've got cloud coverage on that stick concept.

We got a number of sacks on Rodgers doing this.

So, just saying big time receivers do well doesn't tell the whole story.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

GJPackerBacker wrote:
21 Jan 2022 08:52
Fun stuff…
I love the way this thread is lightly salted with intended or subliminal Yooperisms like “market down” and so on. Yoop your challenge, should you decide to except it, is to have one perfect post.
haha, I know I should have cut out the tweets on that post, didn't have time, domestic duties where calling.

I think we are to diverse on offense for the Niner D to stop us, if our OL can give Rodgers his average this season 2.5 count to throw, and we can get our 4.5 average run going we will march on down the field and score, and we've done that in almost every game we've played this season.

I don't think I've ever had a PERFECT post, hate to break my record. :mrgreen:

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

Yoop wrote:
21 Jan 2022 09:08
GJPackerBacker wrote:
Fun stuff…
I love the way this thread is lightly salted with intended or subliminal Yooperisms like “market down” and so on. Yoop your challenge, should you decide to except it, is to have one perfect post.
haha, I know I should have cut out the tweets on that post, didn't have time, domestic duties where calling.

I think we are to diverse on offense for the Niner D to stop us, if our OL can give Rodgers his average this season 2.5 count to throw, and we can get our 4.5 average run going we will march on down the field and score, and we've done that in almost every game we've played this season.

I don't think I've ever had a PERFECT post, hate to break my record. :mrgreen:
:aok:
GO PACK GO!!!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
21 Jan 2022 08:56
I thought this was a great episode today and Mike Wahle really helped reconcile how I am feeling about our team (especially in threnches) versus the national media narrative. We are not soft on defense, but we are definitely not deep on the interior DL.

1.) The 49ers have the advantage on the OL vs our DL. I think this is false. Trent Williams is a match-up advantage against us (and every team they play), but aside from that, our DL can match up with their OL and win one-on-one battles consistently.

2.) Where the 49ers can create an advantage is wearing down our DL and exposing our lack of depth. If they can stick to the run and get the game into the 4th quarter without having to become one dimensional, I would quickly get more concerned. We can hold up early, but can we hold up all game?

3.) Our best run defense is our offense. Get a few stops in the first half and build a lead and it will force Jimmy to become a bigger factor.

The Packers have 4 in the rotation, Clark, Lowry, TJ and Lancaster. Maybe Heflin too. On long passing downs they could also use an OLB as a DE also. As long as the Packers O does not leave the D on the field too long and nobody gets hurt, they will be fine

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Absolutely, match concepts, whether over cover 2, 3 or even 4 have been around a long time. It's ALMOST a way to marry zone and man into 1 concept.

I think that's why we see #1 receivers getting theirs against the 49ers, they aren't rolling coverage. Is that a good idea? I don't know, we shall see. As you said though, the defense isn't going to be in match cover 3 all game. The chess match is throwing in zone and cover 2. I will take Rodgers, Adams, Cobb, and Lazard being able to recognize it though. Whereas a rookie like Ceedee Lamb couldn't do that.

Rodgers has been taking what the defense gives much more this year than any time in his career. I think they're ready!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

packman114 wrote:
21 Jan 2022 08:02
One other thought. No one is talking about Kenny Clark. All this talk about Niners defense but I think Clark is the best defender on the field in this game. His penetration is key to disrupting the Niners run game. Just hope Preston and Gary don't get too far upfield on the edges. If they do their jobs we stop the run game and force Jimmy G to beat us.
I agree. Clark is awesome.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I might not watch this game now. The media has me convinced that SF is going to win. Why bother watching the actual game?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Acrobat wrote:
21 Jan 2022 09:47
I might not watch this game now. The media has me convinced that SF is going to win. Why bother watching the actual game?
It is impossible to stop their rushing attack. We'll be lucky to hold them to 300 yards!
RIP JustJeff

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

GJPackerBacker wrote:
Fun stuff…
I love the way this thread is lightly salted with intended or subliminal Yooperisms like “market down” and so on. Yoop your challenge, should you decide to except it, is to have one perfect post. ;)
Couldn't pass up the chance to note that one of Yoop's endearing qualities is sometimes shared by other posters. :lol:

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

Half Empty wrote:
21 Jan 2022 09:55
GJPackerBacker wrote:
Fun stuff…
I love the way this thread is lightly salted with intended or subliminal Yooperisms like “market down” and so on. Yoop your challenge, should you decide to except it, is to have one perfect post. ;)
Couldn't pass up the chance to note that one of Yoop's endearing qualities is sometimes shared by other posters. :lol:
Tough to slip one by this crowd…. :rotf:
GO PACK GO!!!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

haaaaa, I tend to rub off on people, not always in a good way though :rotf:

after reading some Niners articles, they started the season using a wide 9 pre snap and it led to struggles getting to Rodgers, in our week 3 matchup Rodgers was getting the ball out in 2.38 seconds, to fast for that wide 9 to accomplish the task of hurrying Rodgers, so they have abandoned that approach and now pre set there OLB's closer to the tackles, and stunt inside more, I think our TE's will be tasked with doing a bunch of chipping prior to becoming a outlet receiver.

It sounds like they don't care if the opposing #1 receiver does well, as long as the other receiving options don't, that will be a tough road to hoe against us or any team with multiple quality receivers including RB's and TE's, and a QB using a lot of up tempo schemes.

I have nothing against SF 49ers, other then Carmin Policy fudging the books back in the 80's urrrrrr, but Bill Walsh was a fantastic football mind, imo he perfected the WCO schemes, and Ron Wolf was smart to hire Holmgren, turned our dark years into bright and shinning successful years to come.

GO PACK GO, lets continue that success. :aok:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Jonnydel49 wrote:
21 Jan 2022 09:05
Pckfn23 wrote:
We like to play C3 buzz and using matching principles. So, for example, if Adams is the X in a condensed split and goes vertical, the safety in the hook will match vertical or if there's an over route from the strong side, the safety will match that, with no vertical. If there's a vertical from the split end down the seam, the deep middle safety, in push coverage, will match the over.
A match cover 3 is interesting. I would say that's probably because of the deficiencies in the secondary, but at the same time it really puts pressure on the outside corners to cover. It might explain why #1 WRs are torching the 49ers. Might not be a good plan against Davante Adams and Aaron Rodgers.
Sort of, but matching has been around a long time and is used by a number of teams. Bellichick uses it when he's not running man, Seattle used it for years, still does, even when Sherman was all-pro.

The bigger reason we struggle against big time wideouts is we just don't believe in double teaming or rolling coverage.

It's almost opposite of Bellichick who will double and roll coverage to a teams primary weapon. We're got g to run our system, take away what we will and so if an opposing team wants to out their best player in the optimal spit against us so be it.

For example and some I saw on film, if GB wants to get Adams the ball in an advantageous position, they might put him in close and run an ohio+stick concept where he'd be primary and would most likely be open. GB did this the last few times we played them.

The flip side, and this happened in 2019, is then you can go C2 zone at the right time, you have a favorable matchup of safety on a lesser threat and you've got cloud coverage on that stick concept.

Can you convert to a Packers fan and be a permanent member of this forum?

I love reading your posts.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Jonnydel49
Reactions:

Post by Jonnydel49 »

go pak go wrote:
21 Jan 2022 12:47
Jonnydel49 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

😄 there's some things I just can't do. Even if I loved Mike Holmgren.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Jonnydel49 wrote:
21 Jan 2022 13:02
go pak go wrote:
Jonnydel49 wrote:

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Jonnydel49 wrote:
21 Jan 2022 13:02
go pak go wrote:
Jonnydel49 wrote:

sure you can, people jump off ships more these days, :lol: welcome, your comments are a joy to read, your very technical though, your comments concerning Ohioans took me back to my Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young errrr years :aok:

Should be a great game, unless of course we go up early, which we usually do, then it's just a matter of not letting up, good luck to you :aok:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

:) tti
Bogey wrote:
21 Jan 2022 07:59
BF004 wrote:
20 Jan 2022 10:22
I did the standing room only tickets for the Steelers game, it was nice. We never even made it up to where we were supposed to go. Just kept standing on the 2nd level area for like 3-30 minutes at a time till security told us to find our seats. Had about 50th row, 30 yard line to 30 yard line viewing the entire game. :lol:

Don't yell at me @Bogey
Your secret is safe, BF. 😀
Hey Bogey ... will you be at Fan Assistace Section 109 on Saturday?

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I am tempted to call the police on him for indecent exposure so he can't play tomorrow!

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Acrobat wrote:
21 Jan 2022 15:32
I am tempted to call the police on him for indecent exposure so he can't play tomorrow!

How do you know that he is peeing, maybe he is looking at a picture of Aaron Rodgers.
:) :) :shock:
Love is the answer…

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Foosball wrote:
21 Jan 2022 15:54
Acrobat wrote:
21 Jan 2022 15:32

How do you know that he is peeing, maybe he is looking at a picture of Aaron Rodgers.
:) :) :shock:
Shake it more than twice and you're playing with it right?