Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Captain_Ben wrote:
16 Dec 2021 16:27
BF004 wrote:
15 Dec 2021 12:51
If Harvin can catch a punt, I'd kick some tires.
Not arguing against bringing Harvin in, but is there some reason why we haven't replaced Amari Rodgers at Punt Returner with someone who is already on the roster? Like Yoop said, pretty much anyone would be better than him at this point.
We tried Cobb, then he fumbled his 2nd punt and got hurt.

Not sure of anyone else on our roster who has ever returned a punt in live game action? Didn't Jaire maybe once or twice. Maybe Aaron Jones returned kicks, maybe preseason, don't ever think punts. Malik Taylor and Winfree both kicks I think too, never punts. Punts are a very different beast to catch.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
16 Dec 2021 16:47
Didn't Jaire maybe once or twice.
I was thinking the same. I believe he has for the Packers and did in college, too.

Yep, he did.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... der-1.html

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Captain_Ben wrote:
BF004 wrote:
Not arguing against bringing Harvin in, but is there some reason why we haven't replaced Amari Rodgers at Punt Returner with someone who is already on the roster? Like Yoop said, pretty much anyone would be better than him at this point.
anyone was probably a poor choice of words lol, it's not as though we have a bunch to chose from, to bad Hill took the term kamakazi squad to heart and was destroyed at the 3 yrd line, thing is we tried Cobb and he muffed a kick to, not sure who the next man up would be, I'd happily settle for someone who would just catch the ball, I don't even care about getting a good return at this point, just secure the catch.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
16 Dec 2021 16:55
Captain_Ben wrote:
BF004 wrote:
anyone was probably a poor choice of words lol, it's not as though we have a bunch to chose from, to bad Hill took the term kamakazi squad to heart and was destroyed at the 3 yrd line, thing is we tried Cobb and he muffed a kick to, not sure who the next man up would be, I'd happily settle for someone who would just catch the ball, I don't even care about getting a good return at this point, just secure the catch.
I have been saying that since Woodson. Just catch the punt, every punt, literally ever single in bounds punt.

Such a waste of 15-20 yards to let it roll and such an increased chance for turnover.

I have been pushing for years to put two guys back there for that reason. Sad part is I am not sure if I have two guys I trust back there at the moment. Amari scarily the one I trust most in live game action at the moment.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

BF004 wrote:
16 Dec 2021 17:02
Yoop wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:

I have been saying that since Woodson. Just catch the punt, every punt, literally ever single in bounds punt.

Such a waste of 15-20 yards to let it roll and such an increased chance for turnover.

I have been pushing for years to put two guys back there for that reason. Sad part is I am not sure if I have two guys I trust back there at the moment. Amari scarily the one I trust most in live game action at the moment.
I understand the concept of getting a player more reps in hopes that he will develop competence by the time playoffs come around. If that's the path the coaching staff has decided to take with Amari then so be it. But someone needs to teach him not to alligator catch. That muff last week was comically bad.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Captain_Ben wrote:
16 Dec 2021 17:07
BF004 wrote:
16 Dec 2021 17:02
Yoop wrote:

I understand the concept of getting a player more reps in hopes that he will develop competence by the time playoffs come around. If that's the path the coaching staff has decided to take with Amari then so be it. But someone needs to teach him not to alligator catch. That muff last week was comically bad.
That and he continually lets punts hit the ground and roll another 15 yds. As [mention]BF004[/mention] has lamented, just catch the damn ball!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Profootballtalk reports the NFLPA is "aggressively" pushing for a postponement of Saturday's Cleveland/Las Vegas game following the Browns' coronavirus outbreak.

Mike Florio also reports that "some in the union believe the entire season should shut down for a week." Per Florio, "the union is concerned about player safety and game integrity." It is at least something worth pondering as the league suddenly endures its worse crisis of the entire pandemic, but The Shield has time and again refused to give any such proposals a second thought. So far, the show has always gone on, but it is getting to a truly dangerous point with teams like Cleveland and Washington. It's fair to wonder why at the very least Browns/Raiders can't be delayed until NFL Sunday to give Cleveland another day to get its house in order. Our guess is that will not happen, but stay tuned.
It’s Florio reporting this so take the “aggressively pushing” bit for what it’s worth.

Apparently Cleveland was hit with another wave of positive tests today, this time mostly hitting the defensive side of the ball but also taking out Baker Mayfield fill-in Case Keenum. I believe both their safeties have entered protocols as well as some defensive role players.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Looks like Rams/Seahawks moving as well.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Report on FS1 ticker: Raiders vs Browns moved to Monday from Saturday. Seahawks vs Rams moved to... Tuesday. :messedup:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Here is what week 15 will look like in full:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
17 Dec 2021 14:35
Here is what week 15 will look like in full:
Begs the question about how Week 16 will play out. And the subsequent weeks as well.
Week 20 at Lambeau after a BYE sounds really good right now. :aok:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Dec 2021 15:25
uh oh... :oops:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Labrev wrote:
19 Dec 2021 15:27
Pckfn23 wrote:
uh oh... :oops:
Not worried about that trend. Not saying it couldn't happen. But Cardinals have to do some looking, because they are not playing at the level the other top NFC teams are right now.
RIP JustJeff

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Probably going to happen in week 18 as well. :banana:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Raptorman wrote:
19 Dec 2021 19:15
Pckfn23 wrote:
At the rate we’re going, we’ll have first round bye locked in bu week 17. 8-)

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

BF004 wrote:
19 Dec 2021 20:36
Raptorman wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yeah, okay.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Raptorman wrote:
19 Dec 2021 20:37
BF004 wrote:
19 Dec 2021 20:36
Raptorman wrote:

Yeah, okay.
I don't think we can wrap it up by week 17. But if the Bucs lose tonight and we win the next 2, week 18 doesn't matter regardless who else wins the rest of the way.

Ignore me. Dallas gets it if we lose Week 18 and they win out. So week 18 does matter.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Gonna be interesting to see the media and fan outrage coverage if/when the Bucs welcome AB back with open arms now that their WR room is banged up. Arians sounded all high and mighty when they signed him, making a big deal out of no second chances for him. Time to put your money where your mouth is, Bruce, or rightly face some harsh criticism.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
20 Dec 2021 11:09
Gonna be interesting to see the media and fan outrage coverage if/when the Bucs welcome AB back with open arms now that their WR room is banged up. Arians sounded all high and mighty when they signed him, making a big deal out of no second chances for him. Time to put your money where your mouth is, Bruce, or rightly face some harsh criticism.
He already confirmed yesterday, apparently, that they're bringing him back to the team, so go ahead with your criticism