Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Wasn't sure where to put this, We had a talk about ticket prices a while back, and waiting till the last instant hoping to get them at less then market value, this is about the many things teams have done to raise the price of a seat, interesting

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/why- ... 29214.html

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Yoop wrote:
04 Feb 2024 13:52
Wasn't sure where to put this, We had a talk about ticket prices a while back, and waiting till the last instant hoping to get them at less then market value, this is about the many things teams have done to raise the price of a seat, interesting

Interesting article. I didn't know about these new stadiums being constructed so as to seat fewer fans. Though I am wondering why the article would not also mention the astronomical sums of money that are being awarded to younger players, many of whom have not yet proven their worth.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Eric Bienemy out in Washington.

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/ ... sbury-hire

#Papareportsthenews
#nfl
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Papa John wrote:
04 Feb 2024 14:09
Yoop wrote:
04 Feb 2024 13:52

Interesting article. I didn't know about these new stadiums being constructed so as to seat fewer fans. Though I am wondering why the article would not also mention the astronomical sums of money that are being awarded to younger players, many of whom have not yet proven their worth.
Papa, I appreciate your question a bunch.

Truth is that players are getting new contracts with much money based on their potential more than anything. In other words, perhaps contract values are based as much on potential as any other attribute. The exceptions are the QBs and others who have lengthy careers. The supply/demand is also a factor. Only so many special players to go around.

Another factors is that the amount of money flushed into the system is massive compared to what it used to be. Follow Andrew Brandt and other guys who used to work contracts in the NFL and they'll surprise you with some info they write about that.

I too would prefer contract values to decrease. I don't care for a star QB being paid upwards of >$50M/year. But that's just where the market is now. Maybe some day it'll settle.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Feb 2024 23:54
:woohoo: Money, money, money!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Cdragon wrote:
09 Feb 2024 06:17
Pckfn23 wrote:
:woohoo: Money, money, money!
money equals respect in todays nfl, no different then the rest who are best or have been best at position during rookie contract, he simply voiced what they all think.

Adams got it before being asked if he deserved it, but he didn't settle for less then top positional money, I see know difference here, Jefferson was pushed into answering the way he did.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
I think I might strongly consider trading Jefferson if I am the Vikings. They kind of need a lot of pieces, starting with a QB. Even if they bring back Kirk, he's the 2nd oldest QB in the league behind Rodgers, along with Stafford, at 36. Exception, not the norm, to be playing football at 36+ at QB if Rodgers and Brady are skewing expectations.

Someone dangles two firsts and maybe more for Jefferson, sitting at pick 11 needing to move up to get a QB.

If the Vikings get a lot of ammo, Caleb Williams I believe mentioned the Vikings as a team he'd consider. If either Williams says no to Chicago or they are fine with Fields, Bears gotta take the best offer, even if in the division.

Jefferson and pick 11 to the Bears for pick 1? That would net Jefferson around a two firsts and a 2nd value, given past trades around that range. Some fill either way.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
09 Feb 2024 08:00
Pckfn23 wrote:
I think I might strongly consider trading Jefferson if I am the Vikings. They kind of need a lot of pieces, starting with a QB. Even if they bring back Kirk, he's the 2nd oldest QB in the league behind Rodgers, along with Stafford, at 36. Exception, not the norm, to be playing football at 36+ at QB if Rodgers and Brady are skewing expectations.

Someone dangles two firsts and maybe more for Jefferson, sitting at pick 11 needing to move up to get a QB.

If the Vikings get a lot of ammo, Caleb Williams I believe mentioned the Vikings as a team he'd consider. If either Williams says no to Chicago or they are fine with Fields, Bears gotta take the best offer, even if in the division.

Jefferson and pick 11 to the Bears for pick 1? That would net Jefferson around a two firsts and a 2nd value, given past trades around that range. Some fill either way.
you are wise beyond your years :rotf: wiser then I hope the Viking brass are, personally I'd love them to sign JJ to a 5 yr 150 mil. fully guaranteed contract, draft Pinex from UW and bumble along as cellar dwellers in the division for years to come. :banana: :banana:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Surprised you would be on board trading a top tier WR. :lol:

And Tyreek got 30 million like 2 years and is/was old. Jefferson might be pushing $35M per year, 36 or 37 wouldn't even surprise me.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
09 Feb 2024 08:10

And Tyreek got 30 million like 2 years and is/was old. Jefferson might be pushing $35M per year, 36 or 37 wouldn't even surprise me.
So many better places to allocate that cap space.

Like to a left tackle who plays 8 games in 4 seasons as one example.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:

3 or 4 very good receivers is a better situation then just one top 5 receiver, I wasn't the guy that wanted to retain Adams, I was the guy who wanted more receivers with some of the same abilities.

right Jefferson may want 175 mil. for 5 years, I can't even wrap my brain around that :thwap:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
09 Feb 2024 08:14
BF004 wrote:

So many better places to allocate that cap space.

Like to a left tackle who plays 8 games in 4 seasons as one example.
:hide:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

KJ Osborn, Jordan Addison, TJ Hockenson... you have a pretty nice group of receivers there even without muh Justin Jefferson. That's before you add some FAs/rookies. This draft is pretty deep with nice WRs.

I would pony up to keep JJ if I had a long-term guy at QB; star-power separates you from your opponents. They don't, though, so it probably makes more sense to leverage his trade value to retool their offense a bit, than to have a super expensive WR on the team with no one to throw to him.

'Definitely hope they hamstring themselves by ponying up for JJ, and then get bungle their QB situation.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
09 Feb 2024 08:48
I wasn't the guy that wanted to retain Adams, I was the guy who wanted more receivers with some of the same abilities.
Oh, that's all?

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
09 Feb 2024 10:16
Yoop wrote:
I wasn't the guy that wanted to retain Adams, I was the guy who wanted more receivers with some of the same abilities.
Oh, that's all?
It's not that hard to do, like the group we have right now :idn: the whole point of using a 2nd round pick on a WR every other season is so you don't have to pay one to much on a 2nd contract, same at every position except QB :mrgreen:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Labrev wrote:
09 Feb 2024 09:25
KJ Osborn, Jordan Addison, TJ Hockenson... you have a pretty nice group of receivers there even without muh Justin Jefferson. That's before you add some FAs/rookies. This draft is pretty deep with nice WRs.

I would pony up to keep JJ if I had a long-term guy at QB; star-power separates you from your opponents. They don't, though, so it probably makes more sense to leverage his trade value to retool their offense a bit, than to have a super expensive WR on the team with no one to throw to him.

'Definitely hope they hamstring themselves by ponying up for JJ, and then get bungle their QB situation.
Remember the Herschel Walker trade? :rotf:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
09 Feb 2024 10:38
Labrev wrote:
09 Feb 2024 09:25

Remember the Herschel Walker trade? :rotf:
John Hadl, dumb da dumb dumb, which one was worse? flip em, both terrible decisions. :lol:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I don't get anyone making arguments against this guy's HOF credentials. Absolute lightning.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
09 Feb 2024 10:36
NCF wrote:
09 Feb 2024 10:16
Yoop wrote:
Oh, that's all?
It's not that hard to do, like the group we have right now :idn: the whole point of using a 2nd round pick on a WR every other season is so you don't have to pay one to much on a 2nd contract, same at every position except QB :mrgreen:
So your strategy is to use your first two picks to draft every position except QB every other year so we can keep everyone on a rookie contract?

It's a solid strategy if there were only 4 positions on a football team and you batted 1.0000 every high draft pick.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.