Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
09 Oct 2023 14:03
MY_TAKE wrote:
09 Oct 2023 12:35
Yoop wrote:
09 Oct 2023 11:33
I couldn't disagree with you more, all your doing is mimicking the media, Love was doing very well game one, then the OL isues hit and he has been erratic at times ever sense, normal I think because he has seen to many free rushers, our blocking has been very inconsistent, same with receiver talent, sure we all new there would be growing pains, but imho it's not so much Jordan Love as it is OL and receivers, same as last season
I am not sure who exactly your disagreeing with, but I am not sure any of us disagree completely with each other. I know my take (no pun intended. :roll: ) was that some of Love struggles can be attributed to injuries and poor running game. This was basically putting alot of blame on the O- line. My eye test tells me the run blocking is worse than the pass blocking. Detroit wasn't a great game for the O-line, but it wasn't abysmal. I actually did go back and watch the tape. LOL! APB was correct in that I want things fixed too fast probably. I am fairly confident the last 5 games of the season will look better than the first 4 for Love and the offense. Musgrave and Reed are Rooks and have a chance to grow into great players. I am not really ripping Love that much. I am totally on board with the young QB and see even better things happening yet this year.

There are some really bad offensive lines out there right now and then you have the Niners and Philadelphia that look ridiculously good. Were middle of the Pack(no pun intended :rotf: ) im killing it right now....Ha Ha

your right, I think our disagreements are mostly centered on how much patience we should have.

I was disagreeing with APB's opinion that what we've been seeing was expected, I think what we should have expected is what we had seen prior in PS or against the Bears, prior to injury's and poor play from the OL.

right from the start the media claimed Love would struggle, thats before Bakh or Jenks where hurt, Jones Hamy's, heck that was during PS, But Love looked pretty sharp in those games, I never quite bought into there opinions

better pass pro, better Jordan Love, the guy has to develop some faith in the blocking, pretty hard when he has a rusher in his face faster then his receivers break open, sure we see him holding to long, making off target throws etc, so yes, I agree some of it is on him, but to me he just doesn't look comfortable, and he did when the protection was better.
Having the occasional pass rush in your face is typical of any NFL level QB. Love needs to learn to overcome the pressure and deliver. That will be part of his growth process as he gains experience. Not at all unexpected in my (or most peoples) eyes.

Chicago barely got close to Love in the opener. I would have been sorely disappointed had Love not performed well in that game. It should be expected that he would perform well with a clean pocket throughout the majority of any game. When given time, he consistently has.

Good QBs, be it Rodgers, Brady, Stafford, etc (and even Purdy last night) are able to deliver even when under pressure from the defense. That is the growth and experience process I am referring to. If he sucked from a clean pocket, I'd be endorsing Lupe's current viewpoint. I am not.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The epitome of mediocre.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

more PFF BS, If the protection is so good for Love then WTF is he doing here, love is making poor decisions, late on reads, and inaccurate on his passes, however under a clean pocket we see far less of these issues.

I see him throwing from a poor platform to often, QB's revert to poor habits under pressure.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
10 Oct 2023 09:31
more PFF BS, If the protection is so good for Love then WTF is he doing here, love is making poor decisions, late on reads, and inaccurate on his passes, however under a clean pocket we see far less of these issues.

I see him throwing from a poor platform to often, QB's revert to poor habits under pressure.
I don't necessarily agree that the last 2 games have been good, pass protection wise, but that isn't JUST PFF, it is also ESPN Win Rate. When both metrics are putting the Packers OL up there, you may want to reevaluate instead of forcing your misguided opinion.

What Love has been doing the last 2 games is not good football, that is what he is doing. He is not playing within the offense and the offensive game plan is not doing him any favors, especially this last week.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Oct 2023 09:36
Yoop wrote:

I don't necessarily agree that the last 2 games have been good, pass protection wise, but that isn't JUST PFF, it is also ESPN Win Rate. When both metrics are putting the Packers OL up there, you may want to reevaluate instead of forcing your misguided opinion.

What Love has been doing the last 2 games is not good football, that is what he is doing. He is not playing within the offense and the offensive game plan is not doing him any favors, especially this last week.
well I have no idea what there formula is, but it doesn't coincide with what all of us see, the last 4 games has had rushers breaking free and after Love at a 2.0 count, that gets in a QB's head, it hasn't just been Crosby last night it's been every game, and it's not just once in a while as APB stipulated, it's at least 1/3rd of his drop backs.

for you or him to say a QB has to be able to deal with pressure is true, but when a QB never knows where the pressure will come from it's not, even the best in the league would have problems with that, just as Rodgers did at times last year, if his protection doesn't improve neither will he.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
10 Oct 2023 09:49
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

well I have no idea what there formula is, but it doesn't coincide with what all of us see, the last 4 games has had rushers breaking free and after Love at a 2.0 count, that gets in a QB's head, it hasn't just been Crosby last night it's been every game, and it's not just once in a while as APB stipulated, it's at least 1/3rd of his drop backs.
This isn't at all reality. It is just what you WANT to see. The last 2 games have not been good on the pass protection side, but the prior 3 games were pretty good. Even last week, a lot of the pressure was on Love not taking his first or 2nd read in favor of a chunk play. To say the last 4 games or every game there has been a free rusher 1/3rd of the time is completely made up.
for you or him to say a QB has to be able to deal with pressure is true, but when a QB never knows where the pressure will come from it's not, even the best in the league would have problems with that, just as Rodgers did at times last year, if his protection doesn't improve neither will he.
A QB is rarely going to know where pressure is going to come from... The best in the league deal with it all the time. To say otherwise is again just not reality.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

We had clean pockets in the first three games. He was under constant pressure in the fourth game. Last night was a mixed bag, some pressure, some clean pockets.

So we have three good, one bad, one meh. That would seem to be net-positive grade thus far. What's the gripe? :idn:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Oct 2023 09:53
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

This isn't at all reality. It is just what you WANT to see. The last 2 games have not been good on the pass protection side, but the prior 3 games were pretty good. Even last week, a lot of the pressure was on Love not taking his first or 2nd read in favor of a chunk play. To say the last 4 games or every game there has been a free rusher 1/3rd of the time is completely made up.
A QB is rarely going to know where pressure is going to come from... The best in the league deal with it all the time. To say otherwise is again just not reality.
OK the first 3 games where better, still stunts and blitzers came free then too, point is normally teams actually pick those free rushers up, and when they do the only place a QB has to be aware of mostly is just the weak ol position, typically just one blocker or two get beat, all of ours get beat, Love has his head on a swivel, looking for both a open receiver, but also a free rusher, and if you don't think that gets into a QB's head, your wrong.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
10 Oct 2023 10:17
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

OK the first 3 games where better, still stunts and blitzers came free then too, point is normally teams actually pick those free rushers up, and when they do the only place a QB has to be aware of mostly is just the weak ol position, typically just one blocker or two get beat, all of ours get beat, Love has his head on a swivel, looking for both a open receiver, but also a free rusher, and if you don't think that gets into a QB's head, your wrong.
I don't think you are paying attention to the league much this year. That's fine. I haven't either.

But overall your assessment of other offensive lines picking up stunters and blitzers is off. Offensive line play is down overall.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:

Stunts and blitzes are designed get pressure on the QB, that's the entire point of them... Sometimes lines pick them up, sometimes they don't and it isn't something that good lines do all the time or bad lines never do. Even the best offensive lines of all times allowed pressure almost every game due to blitzes and students.

It is simply false to say that QBs should know, or do know where pressure is coming from most of the time. That rarely happens. QBs need to deal with pressure and the good ones do. The bad ones do not. If a QB almost always knew where pressure was coming from, it wouldn't be an issue. Pressure in almost all cases leads to a QBs decline in performance. Over a season or a career, it is ALWAYS the case. Pressure for all teams is mostly unpredictable due to stunts, blitzes, and offensive linemen simply getting beat. On the latter, ALL NFL starting linemen win more pass rush snaps than they lose.

Our offensive line over the first 3 games was not the issues. The last 2 games it was at least partially to blame, but Jordan Love also shoulders a lot of the blame for his poor play. To say the offensive line has been one of the worst at pass blocking this season is not accurate at all.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
10 Oct 2023 10:22
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

I don't think you are paying attention to the league much this year. That's fine. I haven't either.

But overall your assessment of other offensive lines picking up stunters and blitzers is off. Offensive line play is down overall.
true enough, I havn't watched as much, point is with a young QB like Love it will have a more lasting affect, as they say, one of the most important aspects of being a CB is the ability to forget the last play, we both know thats hoped for but rarely achieved, I see a jittery QB every time Love drops back now because of the pass rush and blocking issues.

could Lafleur be part of the problem, sure, some of his plays really have almost zero chance of success, imho though, the cleaner we keep Love the more likely he'll improve.

are there any remaining questions for why we kept Marvin Lewis around? anyone?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Gotta figure out why the first half is so bad. Scripted plays are &%$@? Team not ready to play?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

More evidence.

:bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :censored: :censored: :censored:
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 10 Oct 2023 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Oct 2023 10:34
Yoop wrote:

Stunts and blitzes are designed get pressure on the QB, that's the entire point of them... Sometimes lines pick them up, sometimes they don't and it isn't something that good lines do all the time or bad lines never do. Even the best offensive lines of all times allowed pressure almost every game due to blitzes and students.

It is simply false to say that QBs should know, or do know where pressure is coming from most of the time. That rarely happens. QBs need to deal with pressure and the good ones do. The bad ones do not. If a QB almost always knew where pressure was coming from, it wouldn't be an issue. Pressure in almost all cases leads to a QBs decline in performance. Over a season or a career, it is ALWAYS the case. Pressure for all teams is mostly unpredictable due to stunts, blitzes, and offensive linemen simply getting beat. On the latter, ALL NFL starting linemen win more pass rush snaps than they lose.

Our offensive line over the first 3 games was not the issues. The last 2 games it was at least partially to blame, but Jordan Love also shoulders a lot of the blame for his poor play. To say the offensive line has been one of the worst at pass blocking this season is not accurate at all.
no the good ones don't, not when it comes unexpectedly has they have for Love even back to the first game with Chicago, that he succeeds sometimes and doesn't others doesn't mean the rush isn't on his mind

Love did better with clean pockets or a 2.5 count to throw, when Love avoids the pressure he throws off platform, and often off target.

not being able to deal with pressure is the number one reason nfl QB's fail, where sure off to a great start protecting Love, this crap blocking improves or Love wont make it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
10 Oct 2023 10:44

no the good ones don't, not when it comes unexpectedly has they have for Love even back to the first game with Chicago, that he succeeds sometimes and doesn't others doesn't mean the rush isn't on his mind

Love did better with clean pockets or a 2.5 count to throw, when Love avoids the pressure he throws off platform, and often off target.

not being able to deal with pressure is the number one reason nfl QB's fail, where sure off to a great start protecting Love, this crap blocking improves or Love wont make it.
Tell me which teams are not giving up any pressures due to blitzes or stunts. Or even better, tell me which teams are not giving up any pressures at all.

Unexpected is the name of defensive success. Saying that good QBs know where the pressure is coming from even most of the time is just wrong.

Of course Love does better with a clean pocket, EVERY QB does better with a clean pocket.

We were off to a great start protecting Love. The last 2 games, not so much.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Oct 2023 10:48
Yoop wrote:
10 Oct 2023 10:44

Tell me which teams are not giving up any pressures due to blitzes or stunts. Or even better, tell me which teams are not giving up any pressures at all.

Unexpected is the name of defensive success. Saying that good QBs know where the pressure is coming from even most of the time is just wrong.

Of course Love does better with a clean pocket, EVERY QB does better with a clean pocket.

We were off to a great start protecting Love. The last 2 games, not so much.
I'am out, argue with yourself, we'll see how Love and the blocking for him is in a couple weeks, when you finally accept that the reason most you QB's fail is do to pass rush then get back to me.

this FO has failed at every challenge it's come up against, our backup LT is a 7th round draft pick, who has about as much lateral movement and kick step of a green back turtle, and a #3 guard that wouldn't roster on many other teams.

We groom a QB for 3 years and then give him a porus OL to protect him, we are in dire need of skill position talent for years and what do we get, a 22 ranked defense, this has become a comedy act for cripe sacks.
Last edited by Yoop on 10 Oct 2023 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
10 Oct 2023 10:52
when you finally accept that the reason most you QB's fail is do to pass rush then get back to me.
This was never the debate in this thread... Classic yoop.