Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Jul 2021 12:21
But Amari is waaayyy more of a swiss army knife than one trick motion pony Ervin. They can do all the things they did with Ervin, plus let him play as a true WR at times too. I think the Ervin comparison sort of slights Aramis broad potential.
Again, agree 100%, but the "play as a true WR at times" is not going to amount to the snaps Lazard and MVS get. I think Funchess eats into available snaps, too. Maybe he approaches 50% of snaps, but that still isn't going to outproduce the other guys on the season, as a whole.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
13 Jul 2021 11:13
A restructure would make Rodgers in GB longer possible. No restructure put a time clock on it. I very much don't buy that Rodgers "sniffed out" the Packers wanted to move on after this year. External evidence suggests the Packers wanted to do everything it could to keep Rodgers until at least after the 2022 season.
Rodgers undoubtedly has a better sniffer then you :rotf:

the drafting of Love probably convinced Rodgers his future here had been sharply diminished, in fact as he hinted several times the team would likely have moved on following last season, except Covid cut Loves learning curve, and Rodgers had a MVP season, the FO would have been the laughing stock of the league had they traded Rodgers this year.

and you'd have to be pretty gullable to think the FO didn't know Rodgers was upset and wanted a trade prior to it coming out in the media the day before the draft, I'am 99.9% sure they did, I'd bet they shunned him, figured it would just blow over, I mean what QB would actually want to leave a well built team? they didn't take him seriously, so he leaked it to try and force there hand, that it didn't work out is another matter, but that sure seems plausable to me.

either way, we'll likely never hear the whole story, he'll come back for this season and be gone next.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
13 Jul 2021 12:25
Drj820 wrote:
13 Jul 2021 12:21
But Amari is waaayyy more of a swiss army knife than one trick motion pony Ervin. They can do all the things they did with Ervin, plus let him play as a true WR at times too. I think the Ervin comparison sort of slights Aramis broad potential.
Again, agree 100%, but the "play as a true WR at times" is not going to amount to the snaps Lazard and MVS get. I think Funchess eats into available snaps, too. Maybe he approaches 50% of snaps, but that still isn't going to outproduce the other guys on the season, as a whole.
Fair, thats why i wasnt saying I think he will be the true #2 WR or anything like that, just that i think his production will probably be around the second best of the WRs in terms of all purpose yards.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

From my understanding based on what was reported, the following happened:

1. Packers tried to restructure - Rodgers said no.
2. Packers then offered an extension - Rodgers said no.

The fact that the Packers were not able to restructure and defer '21 and '22 cap ultimately into 2023 means that the 2022 cap has become more dire and is why I believe Rodgers will play in 2021 and then be traded after the season. I do believe after the season that the Packers wanted to have Rodgers until at least through 2022 but the decision to not allow restructure, plus the added noise of "not wanting to play for the Packers", has accelerated the time clock to Rodgers only being a Packer another 1 season or less rather than another 2 seasons or more.

I do not believe it was the Packers intentions to get rid of Rodgers after this season, and for that reason he got mad and then brought up the "trade me now rants", as some have recently suggested. The events leading up to this just does not make that theory legitimate. You don't try and restructure a player you intend on letting go a season later.

The Packers really had no reason to accelerate getting rid of Rodgers until after 2022. Now their hand is forced to likely get rid of him after this season.

I also do not understand the discussion of what the Packers intentions were prior to draft 2020. Plans can change and the Packers were in a position to be able to move things around to keep Rodgers again until 2022 or longer until he forced no restructure and therefore the expense bill of the cap is being hit earlier which will force the 2022 cap situation.

The one thing the Packers can still do if they want to keep Rodgers around is an extension. I don't believe that will happen though and honestly I don't really want it to happen. I don't think it makes sense to make that large of a decision before they really know what they have in #10. The time that makes sense for an extension in my eyes is after the 2021 season. And you only do that if Rodgers is amazing and Love looks to be an obvious bust.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
13 Jul 2021 12:13
Rodgers wants 3 or 4 years with the same team, why would he go along with a 1 or 2 year extension,
Because that would give him 4 or 5 years with the same team...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
13 Jul 2021 12:15
Yoop wrote:
13 Jul 2021 12:08
just go look up how many receivers had to be used in the slot because Ervin was injured
So, last year only, Ervin's best output was 28 snaps (38% for that day). MVS' WORST output was 47% in the finale and then 53% in the opener. Lazard's WORST output was 47% against Chicago and then 60% against Indy. Even at his best Ervin was not taking snaps away from those two. It was a part-time role and that is what I expect for Rodgers. At least at first.
I used Ervin as a example, a UDFA, Amari offers a lot more, is well rounded in pro terminoligy and provided huge yac in college, Ervin lacks his pedigree, we'll see, I'll stick with my guess of 70 for 700 yrds, and about 30 first downs, maybe 10 tds, every receiver we have will donate catches to Amari

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

go pak go wrote:
A restructure would make Rodgers in GB longer possible. No restructure put a time clock on it. I very much don't buy that Rodgers "sniffed out" the Packers wanted to move on after this year. External evidence suggests the Packers wanted to do everything it could to keep Rodgers until at least after the 2022 season.
Yoop wrote:
13 Jul 2021 12:28
Oh I know Rodgers has a better sniffer than me. I mean duh.

But that's not what we are talking about here. What is being talked about instead is the sniffing ability of forum members here on this board of Rodgers sniffing something out.

That is a completely different thing.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Rodgers back in 2021. Restructure that makes it look good, but won't cost us more when we trade him in 2022.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
13 Jul 2021 12:32
From my understanding based on what was reported, the following happened:

1. Packers tried to restructure - Rodgers said no.
2. Packers then offered an extension - Rodgers said no.

The fact that the Packers were not able to restructure and defer '21 and '22 cap ultimately into 2023 means that the 2022 cap has become more dire and is why I believe Rodgers will play in 2021 and then be traded after the season. I do believe after the season that the Packers wanted to have Rodgers until at least through 2022 but the decision to not allow restructure, plus the added noise of "not wanting to play for the Packers", has accelerated the time clock to Rodgers only being a Packer another 1 season or less rather than another 2 seasons or more.

I do not believe it was the Packers intentions to get rid of Rodgers after this season, and for that reason he got mad and then brought up the "trade me now rants", as some have recently suggested. The events leading up to this just does not make that theory legitimate. You don't try and restructure a player you intend on letting go a season later.

The Packers really had no reason to accelerate getting rid of Rodgers until after 2022. Now their hand is forced to likely get rid of him after this season.

I also do not understand the discussion of what the Packers intentions were prior to draft 2020. Plans can change and the Packers were in a position to be able to move things around to keep Rodgers again until 2022 or longer until he forced no restructure and therefore the expense bill of the cap is being hit earlier which will force the 2022 cap situation.

The one thing the Packers can still do if they want to keep Rodgers around is an extension. I don't believe that will happen though and honestly I don't really want it to happen. I don't think it makes sense to make that large of a decision before they really know what they have in #10. The time that makes sense for an extension in my eyes is after the 2021 season. And you only do that if Rodgers is amazing and Love looks to be an obvious bust.
seriously I do not accept the media as reliable information, if as you say the Packers offered extensions or resignings they would have come right out with a press release and said it, they didn't, so I don't know that it's true, doing so would have put pressure on Rodgers to respond, it didn't happen.

you simply believe every word the fo spouts, I don't, I don't believe that Love was a fall back second choice, not at all, I do know that when Guty wants a player he'll do whatever it takes to get that player, history is clear on this.

so when he took Love he lost all of Rodgers trust, so why would Rodgers NOT think his tenure with the team was closing quickly, there is big money involved here to, not just in getting rid of Rodgers price tag, but also recoup trade value.

and if we don't win a SB in the next 5 years, it's no skin off there butts, sure they'll play the part of where sorry we couldn't keep him and do anything else that takes the focus away from how they handled this, but as long as the team stays competitive they wont lose there jobs

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
13 Jul 2021 12:37
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:
13 Jul 2021 12:08
just go look up how many receivers had to be used in the slot because Ervin was injured
So, last year only, Ervin's best output was 28 snaps (38% for that day). MVS' WORST output was 47% in the finale and then 53% in the opener. Lazard's WORST output was 47% against Chicago and then 60% against Indy. Even at his best Ervin was not taking snaps away from those two. It was a part-time role and that is what I expect for Rodgers. At least at first.
I used Ervin as a example, a UDFA, Amari offers a lot more, is well rounded in pro terminoligy and provided huge yac in college, Ervin lacks his pedigree, we'll see, I'll stick with my guess of 70 for 700 yrds, and about 30 first downs, maybe 10 tds, every receiver we have will donate catches to Amari
That would be marvelous, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was less than half of those yards and way less TDs. The stat line you expect would be a good year for ANY slot WR, and would require Amari to be a scheme-mastering supercomputer. You know Aaron Rodgers has little patience with receivers who screw up routes, adjustments, audibles etc. It's not the easiest of schemes. It may take some time for Amari to become an every-down swiss-army tool.

I think it's great you're excited about a rookie, but just be prepared for the high likelihood that LaFleur won't play Amari as much and early as you'd like. It may not be the coach being too careful, it can also be the rookie being too raw for your sky-high expectations.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
13 Jul 2021 12:52
if as you say the Packers offered extensions or resignings they would have come right out with a press release and said it, they didn't, so I don't know that it's true
They undoubtedly would not do this. Ever.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:
13 Jul 2021 12:28
Oh I know Rodgers has a better sniffer than me. I mean duh.

But that's not what we are talking about here. What is being talked about instead is the sniffing ability of forum members here on this board of Rodgers sniffing something out.

said as a joke, guess where not joking any more.

NO, I think it's not obvious at all that the FO wanted to keep Rodgers till after 2022, and even if they did that isn't good for Rodgers, and if that where the case why not be honest about it and just tell Rodgers, every one is quick to blame Rodgers when this FO has been less then transparent as well.

That is a completely different thing.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
13 Jul 2021 12:55
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:

That would be marvelous, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was less than half of those yards and way less TDs. The stat line you expect would be a good year for ANY slot WR, and would require Amari to be a scheme-mastering supercomputer. You know Aaron Rodgers has little patience with receivers who screw up routes, adjustments, audibles etc. It's not the easiest of schemes. It may take some time for Amari to become an every-down swiss-army tool.

I think it's great you're excited about a rookie, but just be prepared for the high likelihood that LaFleur won't play Amari as much and early as you'd like. It may not be the coach being too careful, it can also be the rookie being too raw for your sky-high expectations.
OK then, you might be right, I'll back it down to 65 receptions and 650 yrds :rotf: look, all that old crap with MCcarthy of pushing caution instead of aggressive is not evident with Lafluer, he'll put together some schemes for Amari and use him plenty, why not, imo Amari was a steal in the 3rd round, everyone including Cobb has said as much, and lis he'll steal target throws from every receiver on this Roster including Adams, what he brings is perfect for so much of what MLF wants to do, maybe only 8 TD's :banana:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

i think amari will be playing because he will be needed...Lazard will find the field because he can block, MVS will find the field because he can run a go route, but Funchess and St Brown suck until they prove otherwise. Another actual playmaker will find himself with plenty of opportunities in 2021.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Jul 2021 13:12
i think amari will be playing because he will be needed...Lazard will find the field because he can block, MVS will find the field because he can run a go route, but Funchess and St Brown suck until they prove otherwise. Another actual playmaker will find himself with plenty of opportunities in 2021.
I still have really high hopes for Funchess. By all reports he made a nice impression in OTA's and Minicamp, so we'll see. I do think Funchess and Lazard will be competing for snaps to an extent, but I also think LaFleur will find a way to get all 5 guys involved.

We have about 500 snaps that we can redistribute that went to Darius Shepherd, Malik Taylor, and EQ, but Adams and Lazard missed time last year, so who knows how it will go. The good news is hopefully these decisions can be based on production and not necessity as it was, at times, last year.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
13 Jul 2021 13:39
Drj820 wrote:
13 Jul 2021 13:12
I still have really high hopes for Funchess. By all reports he made a nice impression in OTA's and Minicamp, so we'll see. I do think Funchess and Lazard will be competing for snaps to an extent, but I also think LaFleur will find a way to get all 5 guys involved.

We have about 500 snaps that we can redistribute that went to Darius Shepherd, Malik Taylor, and EQ, but Adams and Lazard missed time last year, so who knows how it will go. The good news is hopefully these decisions can be based on production and not necessity as it was, at times, last year.
I think we will see 2 completely different roles for Lazard and Funchess. I think we get Lazard on 1st and 2nd downs where we have our running options open and 2nd and longs and 3rd downs will be for Funchess but we will see how things shake out.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

I too see different roles for Lazard and Funchess.

Lazard will be an NFL WR. Funchess will be selling used cars.
Last edited by Ghost_Lombardi on 13 Jul 2021 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
13 Jul 2021 15:18
I too different roles for Lazard and Funchess.

I could also see that. Ive always thought Funchess has never put his all into his craft. He’s gotten by on his physical gifts for his entire football career.

Still if the Packers were going to move on they would have done it already.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
13 Jul 2021 15:18
I too different roles for Lazard and Funchess.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: