Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
01 Sep 2023 10:58
Yoop wrote:
01 Sep 2023 09:14
theres no doubt that Rodgers thinks he knows better how to run this team then those that presently run it, and that was obvious the last year McCarthy was here, no one will ever convince me that he didn't see the checkdown receivers he refused to throw to, imho that was Rodgers telling Gutekunst he needed ready to play receivers to run the schemes McCarthy was using, why keep a coach another season if ya wont get him the players to make those iso vert passing routes work, drafting Brown, MVS, and ? was not going to help that season.

people blame Rodgers for the PO losses, and now praise Gute for rebuilding the receiver positions, just freaking hilarious :rotf:
It has nothing to do with PO losses, or whatever you are babbling about receivers. Favre had worse PO losses, and had wayyyyyy more reason to be unhappy with his WR situation than Rodgers ever did, but he never stopped playing hard, and never quiet-quit on the team as you claim Rodgers did (a defense you make that actually makes him look worse than any of the negative stuff I say about him! :rotf: ). And #4 was invested wholly in a trophy, whereas Rodgers seemed more invested in his MVPs and silly stats (namely TD:INT ratio).

That is why I have hate for Rodgers that I didn't have for Favre.
Favre was the complete opposite of Rodgers, he lost more PO games because he had zero restraint concerning terrible decision making, one QB was risk averse, the other couldn't help himself from making bone headed throws.

you hated Rodgers because you are so much like him, you don't like people that stand up for themselves, voice there angst when they don't approve of something, Labrev from just knowing you on this message board that seems exactly who you are :lol:

Rodgers was upset after the 2017 season, so upset that Murphy offered more moola to calm him down, obviously by mid point of 2018 that money didn't pacify him, the offense was in total stagnation, and Rodgers was in revolt mode, so Gute, with approval from Murphy fired McCarthy.

in the two years that followed Rodgers turned Adams into a house hold name and the best receiver in the league, it was easy, who the hell else on the roster deserved attention, when you say it had nothing to do with receivers I beg to differ, the reason McCarthy's schemes declined was do to not having the talent any longer that made those schemes work, of course it was because of the receivers.

also this garbage that Rodgers likes to extend plays is a half truth, McCarthys iso verts depend on Rodger s ability to extend plays, why you and others neglect to realize or accept that makes these conversations frustrating, in up tempo Rodgers ranks as one of the best in the league, top 5 I think getting rid of the ball.

again the personality of these players, or how they get along with the GM doesn't concern me, heck imho I think Rodgers knows what it takes to win just as well as they do, I read years ago he slept in the dressing room after spending all night watching film of a up coming opponents, so when you say he doesn't care about winning or about this team I go mute on that, if he didn't care he would have told Murphy to keep the money after the 2017 season

one other point, his team mates, at least openly, adore him, sure we might here a complaint here or there, but the majority respect and appreciate his tutorship.

again unless we are playing in the SB I hope the Jets win it, I'd love to see Rodgers get another ring, imho, no one deserves it more.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
01 Sep 2023 15:55
Labrev wrote:
01 Sep 2023 10:58
Yoop wrote:
01 Sep 2023 09:14
theres no doubt that Rodgers thinks he knows better how to run this team then those that presently run it, and that was obvious the last year McCarthy was here, no one will ever convince me that he didn't see the checkdown receivers he refused to throw to, imho that was Rodgers telling Gutekunst he needed ready to play receivers to run the schemes McCarthy was using, why keep a coach another season if ya wont get him the players to make those iso vert passing routes work, drafting Brown, MVS, and ? was not going to help that season.

people blame Rodgers for the PO losses, and now praise Gute for rebuilding the receiver positions, just freaking hilarious :rotf:
It has nothing to do with PO losses, or whatever you are babbling about receivers. Favre had worse PO losses, and had wayyyyyy more reason to be unhappy with his WR situation than Rodgers ever did, but he never stopped playing hard, and never quiet-quit on the team as you claim Rodgers did (a defense you make that actually makes him look worse than any of the negative stuff I say about him! :rotf: ). And #4 was invested wholly in a trophy, whereas Rodgers seemed more invested in his MVPs and silly stats (namely TD:INT ratio).

That is why I have hate for Rodgers that I didn't have for Favre.
Favre was the complete opposite of Rodgers, he lost more PO games because he had zero restraint concerning terrible decision making, one QB was risk averse, the other couldn't help himself from making bone headed throws.

You're not hearing me, you're just regurgitating your usual pre-programmed lines.

What I am saying is, Favre played for the trophy, not individual BS. That's why I can forgive his chokes. He shared the goal of trying to bring home a Lombardi and took the losses as hard or harder than we fans. Rodgers didn't care that much about winning championships, just his own achievements, which is why I cannot forgive his chokes. He robbed those good teams to build his legacy for himself.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

BF004 wrote:
01 Sep 2023 05:18
Kyle Brandt gets it.

Now that’s a season opener pep talk. Like what Brandt says. Get fired up for what is going to be another GBP fun season. I’ve already bought tickets to 4 games.

PS. Da Bares still suck!!!
GO PACK GO!!!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
you hated Rodgers because you are so much like him, you don't like people that stand up for themselves, voice there angst when they don't approve of something, Labrev from just knowing you on this message board that seems exactly who you are :lol:
No, I am actually way more like Jordan Love. Our zodiac sun-sign is the same: Scorpio. He is quiet, which is how I mostly am offline/in real life, but as a fellow Scorp, I know that there is a DEEP well of hot lava beneath Jordan's calm surface. He is going to shock the league, Scorpios are like assassins, nobody sees us coming before we stike. Rodgers OTOH is a Sagittarius which is a fruity sign (sorry to any folks here with that sign).
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BSA wrote:
01 Sep 2023 15:18
this is what you USED to do, its a new regime in Titletown :mrgreen:

It is indeed a new regime in Titletown. And we can see it in the players. All of them. They are having fun. They have hope. This is what it takes to get better, to concentrate better, to work as a team rather than as individuals. This team is going to be better than a collection of individuals.

That is what we did not see last season, no one was having fun and the hope was gone. People did their jobs but they were a collection of individuals led by the ultimate individualist.

In a week plus a few hours we are going to see a new team. It is very young and will have rough edges but fortunately they are playing Da Bears who have more problems than a few rough edges. This season we have a team with a common goal, to win the games rather than to not screw up.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Labrev wrote:
01 Sep 2023 22:45
Yoop wrote:
No, I am actually way more like Jordan Love. Our zodiac sun-sign is the same: Scorpio. He is quiet, which is how I mostly am offline/in real life, but as a fellow Scorp, I know that there is a DEEP well of hot lava beneath Jordan's calm surface. He is going to shock the league, Scorpios are like assassins, nobody sees us coming before we stike. Rodgers OTOH is a Sagittarius which is a fruity sign (sorry to any folks here with that sign).
You really blew your argument here. Sagittarians are passionate, curious, intense, optimistic, humorous, honest to a fault and adaptable. Sagittarius is the most unique sign of the Zodiac.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Now I've seen it all. Zodiac signs? Really? :rotf:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

This was actually a really great listen.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/l ... 0626428066

I need to find out who that Ollie guy is or whatever, pretty big fan.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
03 Sep 2023 10:01
This was actually a really great listen.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/l ... 0626428066

I need to find out who that Ollie guy is or whatever, pretty big fan.
Yeah that was good. Interesting how much he feels “empty” Is the key to good offense in the league right now, but also how the stats he listed were 15-20% of the time.

And also later about the importance of keeping defenses in base by selling the run and how MLF uses motion in the run game differently than he prefers (motioning an extra blocker to the play side rather than motioning away to move a second level defender), but how that can help cover for maybe a young TE who is still a work in progress on his in-line blocking technique

Obviously those can be different situations, but it sounds like a really fun effort to try to figure out who is versatile enough to make personnel not indicative of run and pass.

Watson with his physicality, Musgrave if he contributes showing blocking improvement, Jones as RB/receiving option, and even Deguara as FB/in-line TE should Sue come in handy.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Was going through the Countdown thread, saw the Majic Man picture and it occurred to me...the Bears fans shouldn't be worried about the Packers hitting on a third straight QB. That's already been done!

If Love is who many of us suspect he us, that'll make 4 straight Pro-Bowl/All-Pro caliber QBs in succession. Pretty unbelievable in this day and age!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Sep 2023 11:27
And also later about the importance of keeping defenses in base by selling the run
That was very interesting, thx BF004

There are a variety of tactics to influence defensive personnel choices and one of them is having AJ Dillon on the field. Most DCs are OK staying in nickle vs Aaron Jones - but Dillon's size forces them to use base more often or risk getting gashed. Another MLF tactic is using 12 personnel at a very high rate and they talk about that on the podcast. Another way to get defenses into base is by using tempo with a go-fast turbo package. When defenses face a hurry-up, they'll often default to a simpler base D to make it easier to line up and execute.
( we first saw that vs the Chip Kelley turbo offenses in philly)

I can't figure out how to grab the 2nd gif from this article ( vs Seahawks), but it really shows what the MLF offense aspires to be:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2020 ... t-lafleur

"This play embodies what LaFleur wants his offense to be: Big personnel, pre-snap motion, play-action, and a layup throw for the QB with run-after-catch opportunity for the offense’s top players."

Mod edit: gif added. :aok: ( THANK YOU !)

IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

TheSkeptic wrote:
02 Sep 2023 02:06
BSA wrote:
01 Sep 2023 15:18
this is what you USED to do, its a new regime in Titletown :mrgreen:

It is indeed a new regime in Titletown. And we can see it in the players. All of them. They are having fun. They have hope. This is what it takes to get better, to concentrate better, to work as a team rather than as individuals. This team is going to be better than a collection of individuals.

That is what we did not see last season, no one was having fun and the hope was gone. People did their jobs but they were a collection of individuals led by the ultimate individualist.

In a week plus a few hours we are going to see a new team. It is very young and will have rough edges but fortunately they are playing Da Bears who have more problems than a few rough edges. This season we have a team with a common goal, to win the games rather than to not screw up.
After 1 game, I agree with this 100%. Saw a type of team unity we haven't seen in a while. Not last year at all anyway. And when it would happen in the Rodgers era, it was still sort of a pained unity, like don't !@#$ off the temperamental legend versus Brady's teams, which also involved a legend who the guys didn't want to disappoint but didn't have that undercurrent of moodiness to worry about. It's generally better when the QB is not the obvious leader of the team because then the guys can play more as equals underneath the HC.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

while all this "newness" and the excitement from players and fans is true to an extent, there were a lot of other things different this game than almost all of last year too.

The run game was effective out of the gate and it showed in offensive production. When it went silent, so did our offense.

Our Oline was far and away better yesterday than pretty much at any point last year. Bakhtiari and Jenkins back were huge in addition to the whole unit run and pass blocking like a real offensive line. JLove had pretty much zero pressure yesterday at all. Did he even get touched other than his run?

On contested Balls Doubs was catching them for TD's instead of letting them get stripped for INT's like last year.

and the defense completely dominated the LOS instead of getting run over play after play after play. You can say it's Rodgers departure that was responsible. I think it's growth from Engabare, Wyatt, Slayton, Quay and the addition of LVN allowing for one heck of a rotation up front and constant pressure on that line and QB.

Also we played a very bad team. It's a long season and there's going to come a time when this team has to rise up to adversity in a way they never came close to needing to do yesterday. I'm excited for the win and the attitude, but it's easy to have that when everything is going your way. I want to see what happens when it's tested.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Brett threw 24 interceptions in 1993.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
09 Oct 2023 22:42
But he had "it." You could just tell. Plus it was not nearly as QB friendly of a league. Love had 3 INTs tonight.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

wallyuwl wrote:
09 Oct 2023 22:50
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
But he had "it." You could just tell. Plus it was not nearly as QB friendly of a league. Love had 3 INTs tonight.
If you’re using INTs as a measure of “it”, with Favre as the example, then you should be ecstatic for the future…

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
09 Oct 2023 23:25
wallyuwl wrote:
09 Oct 2023 22:50
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
If you’re using INTs as a measure of “it”, with Favre as the example, then you should be ecstatic for the future…
That's exactly my point. Not sure what Wally is meaning. It's a shame Love didn't connect with Watson on the long 4th quarter pass in the endzone.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Majik threw 20 interceptions in 1989.
Jordan is right on pace in 2023! :aok:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I am seeing early-years Jared Goff, an overall middling QB that would make some big-time throws and have nice games that showed you why he was a first-round pick, followed up by games where he flat-out stinks.

Goff is good now albeit not an elite QB, but it took a while to reach this point, and his original team decided to deal him for an established vet. DET seems happy with him but LA probably is not too broken up about not having him.

And he had McVay to help his development along. We tried to go a similar route at HC, but it seems clear to me that LaFleur is no McVay. If anything, Tom Clements had more to do with making Love playable than MLF did.
—Magneto