2020 General Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Apr 2020 11:18
Chilli wrote:
22 Apr 2020 20:50
Can anyone give me the details of what McGinn says about the RBs please. Thank you.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1754725/2020/ ... ing-backs/
I think it was here somewhere, but here ya go:
Running backs have gone from the belle of the ball to an ugly stepchild in the last generation. Guess what? It’s time to become reacquainted with the men that pound the rock.

Everybody in the scouting world seems smitten with Clyde Edwards-Helaire, the little big man who played a major role in LSU’s undefeated national championship season. Georgia’s D’Andre Swift, Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor and Ohio State’s J.K. Dobbins join CEH in a formidable foursome atop most draft boards.

Stealthily creeping beneath the hype meter are another dozen or so backs who have the chops to do some damage as well. Everyone knows the position has been devalued in the last decade, but the fact that backs aren’t being selected as high anymore clearly hasn’t diminished their ability to play if not excel.

“There’s no Zekes, but does that even matter anymore?” said an executive in personnel. “You just want a good back, really. The (Todd) Gurleys, the Zeke’s (Elliott), does that even matter?”

It does, and it doesn’t. Just nine backs have been drafted in the first round over the last five years, and teams have gotten it right. Not one of the nine has been a bust, and at their best Saquon Barkley, Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, Leonard Fournette, Elliott and Gurley were impact players.

That doesn’t begin to tell the story, however, about the influx of good players from the previous five classes of running backs.

In 2015, David Johnson and Tevin Coleman arrived in the third round, Jay Ajayi in the fifth and Raheem Mostert in free agency.

In 2016, it was Derrick Henry in the second round, Kenyan Drake in the third and Jordan Howard in the fifth. In 2017, the haul included Dalvin Cook and Joe Mixon in the second round, Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt and James Conner in the third, Marlon Mack and Tarik Cohen in the fourth, Aaron Jones in the fifth, Chris Carson in the seventh and Austin Ekeler as a free agent. In 2018, the second round included Nick Chubb, Ronald Jones and Kerryon Johnson while free agency produced Phillip Lindsay and Gus Edwards. Last year, Miles Sanders was a second-round pick, Devin Singletary, Alexander Mattison and David Montgomery were thirds and Tony Pollard and Benny Snell were fourths. Others have produced for teams as well.

Some of them had more fanfare than others. In some of those years, not many people were talking pre-draft about it being a banner year for running backs. As the wide receivers, tackles and, of course, quarterbacks dominate the chatter on the offensive side this spring, beneath the surface many teams detect another bumper crop of ball carriers awaiting destinations.

“It’s been proven that you don’t necessarily have to take a running back super high,” an AFC personnel man said. “There are some good ones, and they’re coming in all shapes and sizes. The NFL has become a different game that way in terms of what’s acceptable for a running back. Four different guys could be classified as the top guy this year.”

Edwards-Helaire is short, but he’s not small. Swift is the best receiver of the upper crust whereas Taylor is the fastest and Dobbins could be the most complete.

All or none could get into the first round. It doesn’t matter. Teams seem confident all four will be producers, barring injury.

“Unless you’re Saquon Barkley or Ezekiel Elliott, you ain’t going in the first round,” said another executive in personnel. “That’s because you can get somebody late second or third round, sometimes in the fourth round, that is a good running back. It’s the new NFL.”

The height of backs also has changed over time. Ten years ago, seven of my top 10 backs stood at least 5-11. This year, Boston College’s A.J. Dillon is the only one that does. “They’re all 5-8, 5-9,” said another scout. “The game has changed.”

The shortest of the top 25 backs is LSU’s Edwards-Helaire. He’s a shade over 5-7, a 1,448-yard rusher who also found time to catch 55 passes for the prolific Bayou Bengals. “Love him,” an AFC personnel man said. “If Joe Burrow was the star, (Edwards-Helaire) won the Academy Award for best supporting actor. He’s a little engine that could. He is a terrific football player.”

LSU went with journeyman Nick Brossette (5-11, 210, 4.70) in their 10-3 season of 2018. An undrafted free agent in 2019, he’s out of football. Edwards-Helaire had to be content with 146 carries and 11 receptions that year. “I don’t think they knew what they had,” said another AFC scout. “Last summer, I missed him, too. He’s 5-7, sharing reps, and you think he’s just a good little college player. He’s just been overlooked because of the way he looks when he gets off the bus.”

In chronological order, here are the names and height-weight-speed entering their drafts of seven players that have been compared in some form or fashion to Edwards-Helaire by at least one personnel man: Kevin Faulk (5-7 ½, 205, 4.48), Darren Sproles (5-6, 187, 4.48), Maurice Jones-Drew (5-7, 207, 4.39), Danny Woodhead (5-7 ½, 197, 4.41), Cohen (5-6 ½, 177, 4.41), Austin Ekeler (5-8 ½, 198, 4.48) and Devin Singletary (5-7 ½, 201, 4.65).

One significant difference is Edwards-Helaire ran just 4.59 at the combine, a least one-tenth of a second slower than six of those seven success stories. “But he has maybe the best play speed I’ve seen in like five years among running backs,” said one scout. “His game against Alabama and even his combine workout … his first step is full speed. It’s absolutely crazy how fast he plays.”

My poll of 18 evaluators asked them to rank their top five backs. As always, a first-place vote was worth five points, a second-place was worth four and so on.

Swift led with 77 points and 10 firsts, followed closely by Taylor (63, five), Edwards-Helaire (51, one) and Dobbins (50, two). The other vote-getters were Cam Akers (11), Zack Moss (seven), Dillon (five), Ke’Shawn Vaughn (five) and Darrynton Evans (one).

Even beyond the leading dozen, there are down-the-liners such as Miami’s DeeJay Dallas, Florida’s Lamical Perine, Cincinnati’s Mike Warren and Illinois State’s James Robinson that scouts have studied more than just casually.

It’s a good bet that the next Aaron Jones or Phillip Lindsay is sitting deep on draft boards just waiting to explode in the NFL. Running backs are very, very much alive and well. “It’s a good class,” an NFC decision-maker said. “There are interesting backs all the way through.”

Perhaps for the first time, several teams say college football hasn’t sent forth a conventional fullback of merit. So if you’re a club that needs one, it’s a game of projecting shorter tight ends to do the dirty blocking work from the backfield.
Thank you

I'm a little bit surprised with the lack of interest in Cam Akers. He is far too good to garner only 11 points.

I agree that Edwards-Helaire is worth the hype but I do have concerns about his ability to run through the middle. Watch any video, highlights, game tapes, whatever....All his best plays are of him bouncing outside and using his elusiveness to great effect. Great receiver too.

Akers on the other hand can do more things which is why I feel he should be ahead of CED.

I completely agree with the notion that Dobbins is more complete than most RBs. His speed is nothing special but everything else about his game is v. good.

Zach Moss has some flaws. I feel he's a tad slower than I would like in a RB but I will give him this....I think he's the best RZ/Goalline back in the draft. He makes it look so easy.

I prefer Evans over Vaughn but that's just a personal preference. They are both talented.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I've had a really weird feeling/vibe for a couple weeks that Akers will be our pick at 62. I dunno why.

I'd be fine with that, really. Just something seems to fit with it. I feel the same way about Reagor early, though today I started getting the feeling he'll go in the 20s and we won't have a chance. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up trading up a few spots and taking Reagor when everyone (including me) has been talking about him as someone who could be had after trading back. Sort of like Savage last year. Loved the player, thought the trade up was surprising, but ultimately fine with it.

Here's the McGinn's more detailed section on Akers:
5. CAM AKERS, Florida State (5-10 ½, 217, 4.46, 2-3):
Akers joined Warrick Dunn and Dalvin Cook as the only Seminoles with more than one 1,000-yard rushing season. “You talk about a guy who was stuck with a lemon and trying to make lemonade out of it at FSU,” said one scout. “A nightmare, and he persevered through it. He’s a hell of a player. He was a quarterback in high school (Clinton, Miss.). He went to FSU when they were riding high and the whole program fell apart around him. I give him credit. That was a disaster. Terrible line. He was getting hit before the ball got to him.” A third-year junior, he carried 586 times for 2,874 (4.9) and 27 TDs to go with 69 receptions. “He ran like a scalded dog (in the 40), but he don’t play that way,” another scout said. “I questioned his toughness and run instincts. They did throw the ball to him. Cam Akers is the kind of kid who knows who to block and he will get in their way. Some of these kids won’t even get in the way. They try to cut.” Some scouts insist he isn’t special; others insist he is. “He’s not a great makeup guy,” said a third scout. “One of these talented guys that never put all the commitment there. But the guy has the talent to be an every-down back. It’s where you want to throw the dice on him.”
And on Darrynton Evans, since I know you mentioned liking him (and I agree)
9. DARRYNTON EVANS, Appalachian State (5-10, 203, 4.47, 3-4):
Evans backed up in 2016, sat out ’17 with an injury redshirt and started 22 of 27 games in 2018-’19 before declaring a year early. “He’s a finesse guy,” said one scout. “He’s not a very strong inside runner, but get him on the perimeter and he’s got a really natural feel. He can slip (blocks) and make guys miss, and he’s a really good kickoff returner.” He finished with 482 carries for 2,884 (6.0) and 25 TDs to go with 39 receptions. “He’s fast, mean,” a second scout said. “He might turn out better than some of these more heralded guys. He’s got every bit as much ability as some of them. He’s just coming from a small program, albeit a successful one. He’s a good sleeper. It would not surprise me to see this guy starting within a year.” Evans is from Oak Hill, Fla. “He’s got good hands and some return ability, but he is not tough and he will not block,” said a third scout. “He’s not a tough kid at all. But he is an athletic, talented kid. Fourth round.”

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I've got Akers in my mock in the 4th. Probably wishful thinking there, but you never know on RBs.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
23 Apr 2020 16:32
I've got Akers in my mock in the 4th. Probably wishful thinking there, but you never know on RBs.
I am increasingly feeling like I know nothing about anything this year, let alone RBs specifically.

It's gonna be fun. I want the first two nights immediately. I don't have the patience for a 3-night affair.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

I would love Akers to fall to the Packers.

Speaking of gut feelings. This is a very good draft for LaFleur's type of OL and as we all know the WR class is deep as well. I just have a gut feeling that we will trade down from 30 so that we will have at least two 2nd round picks to play with and nab an OL and a WR. If Akers is still there in the 3rd round then it wouldn't surprise me if we took him.

By the way i'm surprised Eno Benjamin did not show up in McGinns report. He's one of the few RBs in the draft who I feel fits LaFleur's ZBS. For me we should keep an eye on Taylor, Evans and Benjamin. They are quick one cut north/south runners which makes them a good fit for our system. Akers isn't quite the best fit but I feel he has enough speed, fluidity and vision to adapt to our scheme. I strongly believe we will draft a RB as insurance for Jones potentially leaving next year and for the fact Dexter Williams showed next to nothing last year.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Thanks, I havn't watched any RB's, these two (Akers Evans) sound pretty good, I'am so old school on this stuff, watching Jones I always felt he was a steal in the 5th, sorta thought replacing him would require high draft capitol, which actually our 2nd would be a pretty high price.

I could see a Pick like this, Jones will cost multi banana's, I just hate to lose him, been a long time since we've seen his type of explosiveness through the gap, this part from the scout should be high lighted, Jones cut and go ( first step) and play speed exceeds his timed speed.

One significant difference is Edwards-Helaire ran just 4.59 at the combine, a least one-tenth of a second slower than six of those seven success stories. “But he has maybe the best play speed I’ve seen in like five years among running backs,” said one scout. “His game against Alabama and even his combine workout … his first step is full speed. It’s absolutely crazy how fast he plays.

I like McGinn, I think some of the articles he's written since Joining the athletic, and how he uses actual NFL scouts and Gm's to validate his opinions is some of the best in the business, imo he puts a lot into his profession.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Apr 2020 16:35
paco wrote:
23 Apr 2020 16:32
I am increasingly feeling like I know nothing about anything this year, let alone RBs specifically.

It's gonna be fun. I want the first two nights immediately. I don't have the patience for a 3-night affair.
Totally. Wish this was starting now and do rounds 1-3 tonight. Should be a bit quicker without all the pomp.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Apr 2020 07:41
lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Apr 2020 04:16
I expect 4 QBs, 1 RB, 6 WRs, 6 OTs, 3 edge, 3 DTs, 3 LBs, and 6 CBs to go in the 1st. Just my prediction on how things shake out.
Six CBs!??!?
Well well, huh?

4 QBs, 1 RB, 6 WRs, 6 OTs, 2 EDGE, 2 DTs, 4 LBs, 6 CBs, 1 iOL

Nice work, lupe

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

This Packer draft just seems very strange to me up to this point.

We have ignored what were widely considered this year’s positions of strength in the draft. We have also ignored the positions widely considered to be the areas of weakness on the current Packer roster. Coincidently, those two sub-player groups appeared to set up very well for the Packers to conveniently address their needs.

Instead, we have the distant heir to the QB position and a couple Mike Alstott clones. Ok, that’s oversimplifying but you get the point.

It’s apparent this FO has an entirely different view of this roster and the direction they want to go than us common fans. As Gutekunst has said repeatedly, we’ll just have to trust the preparation and the process. I’m a bit skeptical at the moment but I’m also not the expert these guys apparently are. Guess we’ll see.

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

I'm not too sure they're experts either. Still looks like the same team that got pounded in Levi stadium twice. Standing pat and expecting second and third year players to make a jump seems kinda dumb..not all of them do.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

What's "more dumb," expecting multiple rookies to make big contributions or expecting multiple 2nd and 3rd year players to make big contributions?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Look at teams like the 49ers..theyre not just adding crap..like gutey is. The have had a solid draft and probably get at least 2 decent starters. Any receiver at 30 would have been better than all of the packers wrs..excluding Adams..and maybe Funchess and/or Lazard. Queen was there at 26..a good player at a position of need! He would have already been better than all the other ilbs on the roster except Kirksey maybe.Gutey drafts a backup qb..could have stayed at 30 and still gotten him..and not given up a 4th rounder.Better yet could have traded back into 2nd rd and had 2 2nd rd picks. You can get immediate starters..hell we got Jenkins last year. This draft was loaded with wrs..gutey even said he wouldn't wait for a wr to fall to him, yet not 1 drafted. This team has not gotten any better!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Freewheelingutey wrote:
25 Apr 2020 16:24
This team has not gotten any better!
We'll see. Keep in mind with all the Year 2 jumps, our HC is heading into Year 2. I think we are going to see internal improvement on offense that we could not have possibly anticipated. As for how all these rookies fit in, that remains to be seen, but this offense is going to look very different this year, despite nearly identical personnel.

Read More. Post Less.

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Freewheelingutey wrote:
25 Apr 2020 16:24
Look at teams like the 49ers..theyre not just adding crap..like gutey is. The have had a solid draft and probably get at least 2 decent starters. Any receiver at 30 would have been better than all of the packers wrs..excluding Adams..and maybe Funchess and/or Lazard. Queen was there at 26..a good player at a position of need! He would have already been better than all the other ilbs on the roster except Kirksey maybe.Gutey drafts a backup qb..could have stayed at 30 and still gotten him..and not given up a 4th rounder.Better yet could have traded back into 2nd rd and had 2 2nd rd picks. You can get immediate starters..hell we got Jenkins last year. This draft was loaded with wrs..gutey even said he wouldn't wait for a wr to fall to him, yet not 1 drafted. This team has not gotten any better!
“Adding crap”
Irregardless of all further points.... totally disregarded

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Totally..don't care!!

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Freewheelingutey wrote:
25 Apr 2020 16:44
Totally..don't care!!
Next time why don't you put together a mock so we can see if you do any better?
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

[mention]Chilli[/mention]

RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

[mention]Scott4Pack[/mention] Image

He got a haircut whoever he is.
RIP JustJeff

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

:bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw:

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

[mention]go pak go[/mention] Image

Pick something more difficult next time please.

Carry on fellas, this thread is mine now.
RIP JustJeff