JJ Watt

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Feb 2021 17:57
the sort of jockeying that results in being pretty upset no matter what happens.
Being upset no matter what happens is the reason we come here.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

NFL free agency doesn’t start until March 17th. So it’s possible that any announcement about Watt will be made closer to that date. Maybe Monday the 15th.
Love is the answer…

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Foosball wrote:
25 Feb 2021 20:05
NFL free agency doesn’t start until March 17th. So it’s possible that any announcement about Watt will be made closer to that date. Maybe Monday the 15th.
He was released and is no longer under any contract.

He is free to sign today.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Hell no to $16m

I think depends on the deal. I am skeptical of his abilities at this point. Yall become blind whenever there is someone related to UW that possibly might sign with us.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Foosball wrote:
25 Feb 2021 17:44
I think the Packers are going to sign Watt and he will immediately become the best player on the Packers Defense, which includes some good players.

Cutting Kirksey so early was a telltale sign. Gutey will find a way to get it done.
IMO Z. Smith is the better player right now. But having JJ would help our D because of the attention he would get and allow others to raise havoc.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
26 Feb 2021 00:22
Foosball wrote:
I think the Packers are going to sign Watt and he will immediately become the best player on the Packers Defense, which includes some good players.

Cutting Kirksey so early was a telltale sign. Gutey will find a way to get it done.
IMO Z. Smith is the better player right now. But having JJ would help our D because of the attention he would get and allow others to raise havoc.
If we are being honest with ourselves however, Z took a major step back in 2020. Now I don't need to compare him to 2019 because honestly he was DPOY caliber in 2019. Especially the 2nd half, but we just didn't see the consistency at all from Z last year. Still definitely a step above Preston but notice even this forum got excited about Gary, Kenny, Savage, Alexander, Barnes.

We just didn't talk about Z much because he didn't earn to be talked about much. Good or bad.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
26 Feb 2021 06:30
Pugger wrote:
Foosball wrote:

If we are being honest with ourselves however, Z took a major step back in 2020. Now I don't need to compare him to 2019 because honestly he was DPOY caliber in 2019. Especially the 2nd half, but we just didn't see the consistency at all from Z last year. Still definitely a step above Preston but notice even this forum got excited about Gary, Kenny, Savage, Alexander, Barnes.

We just didn't talk about Z much because he didn't earn to be talked about much. Good or bad.
yep, he was one of the 5 or 6 players that had a play decline this last season over 2019, Z dropped back to just above average from his best ever season the year prior when he had over 80 cumulative pressures ( figure may not be exact, but pretty close) I think I read he totaled about 50 this year, whats shocking and I've not checked it further, but while Prestines sacks declined his cumulatives didn't drop as much, both he and Gary where in the 45 range, which is inspiring considering Gary had 1/3 the snap count, I look for Gary to be well over 60 to 70 maybe even more this coming season, It would be great to either keep Prestine or figure out some sort of trade.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 Feb 2021 07:08
go pak go wrote:
Pugger wrote:

yep, he was one of the 5 or 6 players that had a play decline this last season over 2019, Z dropped back to just above average from his best ever season the year prior when he had over 80 cumulative pressures ( figure may not be exact, but pretty close) I think I read he totaled about 50 this year, whats shocking and I've not checked it further, but while Prestines sacks declined his cumulatives didn't drop as much, both he and Gary where in the 45 range, which is inspiring considering Gary had 1/3 the snap count, I look for Gary to be well over 60 to 70 maybe even more this coming season, It would be great to either keep Prestine or figure out some sort of trade.
I think Preston is as good as gone and if we sign the guy who is the subject of this thread....I am okay with that trade-off.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Foosball wrote:

He couldn't have been that bad to be named 2nd team All-Pro and have the third best sack total in the league this year with 12.5.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I'd give JJ a small lean over Z right now, but its close.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
26 Feb 2021 11:25
I'd give JJ a small lean over Z right now, but its close.
you would, you've had a crush on the guy longer then the age of this forum :rotf:

I don't know about better then Z, but his presence would make Z even better, same with a lot of players on the team, players tend to have huge respect for guys like JJ, who are humble in there greatness, thats why I said he could be like a Reggie White was 25 years ago or Charles Woodson 10 or so years back, in that sense he is a generational player, and very rare, be nice to have another one.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

FWIW from PFF
Z: 76.7
JJ: 85.4

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
26 Feb 2021 13:15
FWIW from PFF
:rotf: touche, good grab, well what about the year before when "the Z" was other worldly though? whatever, the two together with Gary ( who no longer can be considered a thumb sucker) and Superman Clark would dominate the trenches for the fore see able future.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
26 Feb 2021 13:32
BF004 wrote:
FWIW from PFF
:rotf: touche, good grab, well what about the year before when "the Z" was other worldly though? whatever, the two together with Gary ( who no longer can be considered a thumb sucker) and Superman Clark would dominate the trenches for the fore see able future.
Z: 89.7
JJ: 87.0

JJ a generational talent, been better more consistently. I just give him the slight edge right now.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Z is the better pass rusher at this stage on his career. JJ is no doubt the better and more consistent run defender.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Feb 2021 17:45
Z is the better pass rusher at this stage on his career. JJ is no doubt the better and more consistent run defender.
I'll just say adding watt gives us 3 blues on the d front with a rising gary. Thats by far and away the scariest front in football. Find a cb 2 and we are set. Keke was good in limited role also. Watt isnt what he was but his presence does make a huge impact overall

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pugger wrote:
26 Feb 2021 09:29
go pak go wrote:
Pugger wrote:

He couldn't have been that bad to be named 2nd team All-Pro and have the third best sack total in the league this year with 12.5.
Making 2nd team All-Pro is significant. Ray Nitschke and JImmy Taylor were 2nd team All-Pro for many years.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
26 Feb 2021 16:21
Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:
FWIW from PFF

JJ a generational talent, been better more consistently. I just give him the slight edge right now.
see thats a tough one to accept for me, must be his run grade lowers his over all grade, cause he was a monster when it came to pass rush, the same PFF shows him to have been the best pass rusher in the league 2019

93 total pressures
No player had more total pressures during the 2019 NFL season than Green Bay Packers outside linebacker Za'Darius Smith. According to Pro Football Focus, Smith led the NFL with 93 total pressures this season.Jan 1, 2020

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
26 Feb 2021 18:30
lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Feb 2021 17:45
I'll just say adding watt gives us 3 blues on the d front with a rising gary. Thats by far and away the scariest front in football. Find a cb 2 and we are set. Keke was good in limited role also. Watt isnt what he was but his presence does make a huge impact overall
No doubt getting Watt gives us the best front 4 in the league. Is it affordable though? I don’t think there’s a chance in hell this organization would be willing to sacrifice consistency for short term success. They’re all about maintaining playoff appearances so they can justify raising ticket prices.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
26 Feb 2021 19:50
BF004 wrote:
26 Feb 2021 16:21
Yoop wrote:

see thats a tough one to accept for me, must be his run grade lowers his over all grade, cause he was a monster when it came to pass rush, the same PFF shows him to have been the best pass rusher in the league 2019

93 total pressures
No player had more total pressures during the 2019 NFL season than Green Bay Packers outside linebacker Za'Darius Smith. According to Pro Football Focus, Smith led the NFL with 93 total pressures this season.Jan 1, 2020
I don’t get what you’re struggling to accept. Seems like you are accepting it. 🤷‍♂️