General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Jul 2020 07:24
TheGreenMan wrote:
30 Jun 2020 17:20
Logically, how many guys are going to be kept?

Aaron Jones
Jamaal Williams
AJ Dillion
Tyler Ervin
Dexter Williams
Patrick Taylor
Damarea Crockett

Jordan Jones
Elijah Wellman

Aaron, Jamaal, AJ, Tyler are locks to make the roster in my opinion. How many RB's do you keep on a practice squad though? Dexter, I'm not sure on. One of Jones/Williams will be gone next year. Maybe both. Can Dexter eventually replace Williams? He showed some signs of putting together a game last year, but if memory serves he couldn't hold onto the football. Situational runner at best.

I know virtually nothing on Taylor and I know that Crockett spent 2019 on the squad. Jordan and Elijah, listed as FB's,.. do they do anything different than what we already have in players like J Williams and Dillion? :idn:

The top of the chart has a lot of guys and maybe this is exactly what Lafleur is looking for in this offense.
I don't see how the Packers keep more than 3 plus Deguara who is basically a FB/H-Back. Jones and Dillon are locks, baring preseason injury. IMO it comes down to Ervin vs J. Williams, the Packers won't keep both. I suspect that Dexter winds up on the PS
Yeah it will be interesting.

If you assume the 25, 25, 3 mix (still 53 man roster in 2020)....

That leaves a tough cut somewhere because right now a mix of
QB - 3 (Rodgers, Love, Boyle)
RB - 4 (Jones, Williams, Dillon, Ervin)
TE - 4 (Stern, Lewis, Bobby Tonyan, Deguara)
WR - 6 (Adams, Lazard, Funchess, MVS, EQSB, someone?)
OL - 9 (Bak, Jenkins, Linsley, Turner, Wagner, Runyan, Taylor, Patrick, Light/Nijman, Center from Oregon)

....that's 26 players.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So let's talk about these roster sized.

Active rosters can go to 48 provided you have 8 OL. No more Letroy Guion at guard, I'm a fan.

Sounds like you can select 2 members of your PS each game to suit up or even not suit up, but temporarily be on an active 55 roster. Those 2 members can rotate each week and then will stay on the PS after the game, not be subject to waivers. But the PS players will still be subject to normal PS rules, such as being able to be signed by other teams.

However, each player can only be brought up to the active roster twice during the year, the third time would require normal PS protocol where you have to actually sign them to the 53 man roster. This includes postseason.

So that essentially only have 20 'bring ups' you can use for between 16 to 20 games.

I am not sure if during the week/s you promote someone to the psuedo active roster if they are eligible to be signed by other teams. Say like Rodgers is playing with a sore shoulder or elbow and Boyle is on the PS for this example, can we bring up Boyle for 2 weeks without actually signing him, thus also preventing other teams from trying to get him? Or can he still be poached during that time?

Clear as mud?

Anything I got wrong or missed? Any further clarification?

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

go pak go wrote:
01 Jul 2020 07:36
TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Jul 2020 07:24
TheGreenMan wrote:
30 Jun 2020 17:20
Logically, how many guys are going to be kept?

Aaron Jones
Jamaal Williams
AJ Dillion
Tyler Ervin
Dexter Williams
Patrick Taylor
Damarea Crockett

Jordan Jones
Elijah Wellman

Aaron, Jamaal, AJ, Tyler are locks to make the roster in my opinion. How many RB's do you keep on a practice squad though? Dexter, I'm not sure on. One of Jones/Williams will be gone next year. Maybe both. Can Dexter eventually replace Williams? He showed some signs of putting together a game last year, but if memory serves he couldn't hold onto the football. Situational runner at best.

I know virtually nothing on Taylor and I know that Crockett spent 2019 on the squad. Jordan and Elijah, listed as FB's,.. do they do anything different than what we already have in players like J Williams and Dillion? :idn:

The top of the chart has a lot of guys and maybe this is exactly what Lafleur is looking for in this offense.
I don't see how the Packers keep more than 3 plus Deguara who is basically a FB/H-Back. Jones and Dillon are locks, baring preseason injury. IMO it comes down to Ervin vs J. Williams, the Packers won't keep both. I suspect that Dexter winds up on the PS

OL - 9 (Bak, Jenkins, Linsley, Turner, Wagner, Runyan, Taylor, Patrick, Light/Nijman, Center from Oregon)

....that's 26 players.
I don't think Boyle is going to make the roster. I never understood keeping 3 QB's on a roster, when you have a franchise QB. I also wouldn't be surprised if someone like Funchess doesn't make the roster.
RIP JustJeff

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

TheGreenMan wrote:
01 Jul 2020 11:14
go pak go wrote:
01 Jul 2020 07:36

....that's 26 players.
I don't think Boyle is going to make the roster. I never understood keeping 3 QB's on a roster, when you have a franchise QB. I also wouldn't be surprised if someone like Funchess doesn't make the roster.
I don't see how Lewis makes the roster. How do you keep a 36 year old for 1 more year max? He offers nothing that Deguara does not and if Deguara should turn out to be a bust or get hurt it would not be hard to find a blocking TE somewhere. It is not exactly a rare skill. MVS and Funchess have to be on a thin rope too. That center from Oregon (Hansen) almost certainly winds up on the PS.

The problem with not keeping Boyle is that if Rodgers gets hurt and you throw Love to the wolves, you might ruin him. Rodgers is, after all, an aging QB losing his footspeed with a habit of hanging onto the ball too long - that is a recipe for injury. Plenty of rookie QB's are ruined by playing them before they are ready. Love is not ready to start and probably won't be this season. Plus Boyle very likely could be a perfectly good backup QB for 10 years - which is worth a hell of a lot more than a 36 year old blocking TE or a WR that the QB has no confidence in because he does not catch what he should.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

#Packers QB Jordan Love received a fully guaranteed four-year $12,383,470 contract, sources say. Signing bonus: $6,566,160. It's the first time the No. 26 pick received a fully guaranteed deal under the current rookie contract system.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheGreenMan wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Jul 2020 12:05
I don't see how Lewis makes the roster. How do you keep a 36 year old for 1 more year max? He offers nothing that Deguara does not and if Deguara should turn out to be a bust or get hurt it would not be hard to find a blocking TE somewhere. It is not exactly a rare skill. MVS and Funchess have to be on a thin rope too. That center from Oregon (Hansen) almost certainly winds up on the PS.
I'm anticipating some disappointed Packers fans too quick to write people off

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Jul 2020 19:02
TheGreenMan wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Jul 2020 12:05
I'm anticipating some disappointed Packers fans too quick to write people off

Maybe.

[mention]TheSkeptic[/mention] made a good argument for keeping 3 QB's this go around, as Love is a rookie. It would prevent us having to throw him in the fire, but would this necessarily be a bad thing? I'd be curious to know teams that didn't play a first round QB after the starter went down. I would wager that list is pretty small.

I never really cared for the Funchess signing to begin with, but I just think he's going to be a camp body. That thought might, might have swayed a little after the draft and not taking a single guy off the board.

I don't expect a ton from Deguara early on, so I think Lewis is relatively safe.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
01 Jul 2020 19:10
Maybe.

@TheSkeptic made a good argument for keeping 3 QB's this go around, as Love is a rookie. It would prevent us having to throw him in the fire, but would this necessarily be a bad thing? I'd be curious to know teams that didn't play a first round QB after the starter went down. I would wager that list is pretty small.

I never really cared for the Funchess signing to begin with, but I just think he's going to be a camp body. That thought might, might have swayed a little after the draft and not taking a single guy off the board.

I don't expect a ton from Deguara early on, so I think Lewis is relatively safe.
No rookie camps, OTAs, and practice time in camp isn't what it used to be... I think we'll lean more on vets than in usual years, at least in the first month or so.

I think there's a good argument to keep Boyle as the first guy off the bench over a rookie QB who is known to be raw outta college and in need of development. Especially since chances for that development have been slim this year. It's of course possible Love simply outplays Boyle in camp.

Similarly Deguara would have to be a ridiculous multi-position phenom to be able to do all as a rookie with this limited prep time.

Funchess is not competing vs rookies, so his situation is different. Would not be surprised if he's WR2, not surprised if he's cut.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

salmar80 wrote:
02 Jul 2020 12:37
TheGreenMan wrote:
Maybe.

@TheSkeptic made a good argument for keeping 3 QB's this go around, as Love is a rookie. It would prevent us having to throw him in the fire, but would this necessarily be a bad thing? I'd be curious to know teams that didn't play a first round QB after the starter went down. I would wager that list is pretty small.

No rookie camps, OTAs, and practice time in camp isn't what it used to be... I think we'll lean more on vets than in usual years, at least in the first month or so.

I think there's a good argument to keep Boyle as the first guy off the bench over a rookie QB who is known to be raw outta college and in need of development. Especially since chances for that development have been slim this year. It's of course possible Love simply outplays Boyle in camp.

Similarly Deguara would have to be a ridiculous multi-position phenom to be able to do all as a rookie with this limited prep time.

Funchess is not competing vs rookies, so his situation is different. Would not be surprised if he's WR2, not surprised if he's cut.
Having limited exposure and no camps really does put a damper on things. This is the first time in a long time where I can look at the roster and think "I don't have a clue about this guy" because there's nothing to go off of. Names that you didn't even know were on the roster.

Boyle has played well in the past, and I would be surprised if Love outplayed him here early on. The whole situation is different this go around though, for all rookies. Just how much effort and time will they get to actually develop in game situations this year? So far, it doesn't look like it's going to be much at all.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheGreenMan wrote:
02 Jul 2020 14:07
salmar80 wrote:
02 Jul 2020 12:37
TheGreenMan wrote:
Maybe.

Having limited exposure and no camps really does put a damper on things. This is the first time in a long time where I can look at the roster and think "I don't have a clue about this guy" because there's nothing to go off of. Names that you didn't even know were on the roster.

Boyle has played well in the past, and I would be surprised if Love outplayed him here early on. The whole situation is different this go around though, for all rookies. Just how much effort and time will they get to actually develop in game situations this year? So far, it doesn't look like it's going to be much at all.
This is not the year to be an undrafted rookie. They will just get such limited opportunity to show what they can do.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Sounds like the Packers are not offering a Gold or Green ticket package this year so fans don't need to shell out money for season tickets.
Yoop wrote:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

The Packers statement, original emphasis:
Green Bay Packers season ticket holders today received a message from Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy to notify them about necessary adjustments to expect this season as the COVID-19 pandemic continues.

Although the organization remains optimistic, there is a possibility that Lambeau Field will be unable to host fans for games this season.

At this time, the team is preparing to have fans in attendance with new policies and safety measures to allow for appropriate social distancing, which will require the stadium's seating capacity to be significantly reduced. Face coverings also will be required, and other necessary precautions will be in place. As a result, the special experience to which fans are accustomed at Lambeau Field will look and feel very different.

Because of the reduced capacity should fans be able to attend games, the organization cannot guarantee that ticket holders in the general bowl and club seats will be able to reserve tickets. Due to the reduced capacity, the team is also eliminating the Green and Gold package designations, as well as suspending the Brown County Ticket Drawing program, for this season. Brown County residents who paid for tickets through the program this year will be automatically refunded. Suite holders will receive specific information separately relating to their suite.

While preparations continue and the full plan has not yet been finalized, the letter asked season ticket holders to begin considering their options for this season. In the near future, season ticket holders will be asked to complete a questionnaire asking if they want to "opt in" to be included in the process for a chance to reserve tickets this year. Those that opt in will be asked additional questions and given further instructions; this opportunity is exclusive to season ticket holders at this time.

Those who choose to "opt out" of the opportunity to obtain tickets will decide whether to have their 2020 payment refunded in full or credited to 2021. Their STH status and existing seats and ticket package will remain in place for next season.

Although season ticket holders and fans may have questions at this time, the organization is asking for patience while the details are finalized. No action by season ticket holders is necessary at this point; the Packers will provide full information about next steps soon.

The Packers are planning to make necessary adjustments in order to conduct games and other events in as safe a manner as possible in the best interest of fans, players and team and league personnel. All preparations are being made with the latest advice of medical and public health officials and are subject to change.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

No fans at preseason games and TC now...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Anyone else read the SI story about Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila? Yikes, he really went off the deep end...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/07/14/kabee ... y-incident
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Jul 2020 12:30
No fans at preseason games and TC now...
Totally OK with this and hope it serves as a step towards allowing the real thing to proceed in September.

Read More. Post Less.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
15 Jul 2020 12:47
Anyone else read the SI story about Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila? Yikes, he really went off the deep end...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/07/14/kabee ... y-incident
I just read it. I never knew any of that about him. Wow.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

[/quote]

....that's 26 players.
[/quote]

I don't believe we need 4 tight ends. Nor do I think we need more than 5 wide receivers. Just keep 2 QBs. If Rodgers goes down the season is toast anyway. Oh ... if there is a season. GO PACK GO !!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
15 Jul 2020 19:58

....that's 26 players.

I don't believe we need 4 tight ends. Nor do I think we need more than 5 wide receivers. Just keep 2 QBs. If Rodgers goes down the season is toast anyway. Oh ... if there is a season. GO PACK GO !!
26/24 isn't an uncommon thing.

5 DL (Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Keke, someone)
4 ILB (Kirksey, Martin, Burks, someone)
5 OLB (Smith, Smith, Gary, someone, someone)
6 CB (Alexander, King, Sullivan, Hollman, someone, someone)
4 S (Savage, Amos, Greene, Scott)

that's 24; could easily sub out a 5th OLB for a 6th DL, depending on what we want. Plenty of undetermined roster spots on this side, but lots of options to fill those "someone"s.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Jul 2020 20:57
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
15 Jul 2020 19:58

....that's 26 players.

26/24 isn't an uncommon thing.

5 DL (Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Keke, someone)
4 ILB (Kirksey, Martin, Burks, someone)
5 OLB (Smith, Smith, Gary, someone, someone)
6 CB (Alexander, King, Sullivan, Hollman, someone, someone)
4 S (Savage, Amos, Greene, Scott)

that's 24; could easily sub out a 5th OLB for a 6th DL, depending on what we want. Plenty of undetermined roster spots on this side, but lots of options to fill those "someone"s.
True, 25/24 is not unusual. But you also have to consider ST's. On O, your QB's are useless, so is Lewis. All of the Oline are useless except for the FG team. If you flip it to 24/26 you probably have 2 more guys who can contribute on ST.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheSkeptic wrote:
16 Jul 2020 09:25
True, 25/24 is not unusual. But you also have to consider ST's. On O, your QB's are useless, so is Lewis. All of the Oline are useless except for the FG team. If you flip it to 24/26 you probably have 2 more guys who can contribute on ST.
Interesting; you recommend eliminating a TE and a WR spot in your post, and then point out the usefulness of ST contributors. TE and WRs at the bottom of the roster are usually core ST players.