General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

TheGreenMan wrote:
23 Jan 2021 11:21
go pak go wrote:
23 Jan 2021 11:17
How cool is this? I just think it is so cool for us as fans that this is now the 6th NFCCG we have gotten to play since 2007. We are very blessed.
I can look at it as being very blessed, but also... it's sad that we've only made it through it a single time since then.
I agree. I know it's unpopular, but I'm one of those who believe winning the big games is more important than playing them. 1-4 so far since 2007 doesn't give me a whole lot of satisfying memories.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Half Empty wrote:
23 Jan 2021 12:16
TheGreenMan wrote:
go pak go wrote:
23 Jan 2021 11:17
How cool is this? I just think it is so cool for us as fans that this is now the 6th NFCCG we have gotten to play since 2007. We are very blessed.
I can look at it as being very blessed, but also... it's sad that we've only made it through it a single time since then.
I agree. I know it's unpopular, but I'm one of those who believe winning the big games is more important than playing them. 1-4 so far since 2007 doesn't give me a whole lot of satisfying memories.
I always like to look at it through this framing:

Let's take two 10-year periods: the Giants from 2007 through 2016 and the Packers from 2007 through 2016

In that time period, the Giants:
  • won two Super Bowls
  • made the playoffs 4 times
  • had three losing seasons
  • won the division twice
In that same time period, the Packers:
  • won one Super Bowl
  • made the playoffs 9 times
  • had one losing season
  • won the division 6 times
Which team would you rather root for? The one that achieved the pinnacle of success twice but dabbled in mediocrity for much of the decade, or the one who was in the mix the whole decade, but only reached the pinnacle once?

I would rather root for the Packers for that decade than the Giants. In some ways, this is a false dichotomy, as the Patriots achieved both--multiple championships and annual relevance. But for every other team, they've fallen short on one side or the other.

For me, year-in, year-out, being a highly competitive, competent franchise with relatively good odds to reach the pinnacle of success is more rewarding as a fan--more valuing of the journey than the destination.

But if you're more of a destination person, it makes sense to value the other option, as well; I understand it. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I mean really if the Packers didn't have their heart ripped out and the Thompson Packers did what they deserved to do....the NFL fanbase would get fed up because there would be like 3 SBs of the Packers vs Patriots.

The positive of that though is it would have truly been a goliath vs goliath Rodgers vs Brady often and I am really sad we never got to see a Packers/Patriots Super Bowl.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

go pak go wrote:
23 Jan 2021 12:40
I mean really if the Packers didn't have their heart ripped out and the Thompson Packers did what they deserved to do....the NFL fanbase would get fed up because there would be like 3 SBs of the Packers vs Patriots.

The positive of that though is it would have truly been a goliath vs goliath Rodgers vs Brady often and I am really sad we never got to see a Packers/Patriots Super Bowl.
Next year when Belichick turns Trubisky into a star. :rotf: And then sells him back to duh bares for two #1s.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Jan 2021 12:32
Half Empty wrote:
23 Jan 2021 12:16
TheGreenMan wrote:

I always like to look at it through this framing:

Let's take two 10-year periods: the Giants from 2007 through 2016 and the Packers from 2007 through 2016

In that time period, the Giants:
  • won two Super Bowls
  • made the playoffs 4 times
  • had three losing seasons
  • won the division twice
In that same time period, the Packers:
  • won one Super Bowl
  • made the playoffs 9 times
  • had one losing season
  • won the division 6 times
Which team would you rather root for? The one that achieved the pinnacle of success twice but dabbled in mediocrity for much of the decade, or the one who was in the mix the whole decade, but only reached the pinnacle once?

I would rather root for the Packers for that decade than the Giants. In some ways, this is a false dichotomy, as the Patriots achieved both--multiple championships and annual relevance. But for every other team, they've fallen short on one side or the other.

For me, year-in, year-out, being a highly competitive, competent franchise with relatively good odds to reach the pinnacle of success is more rewarding as a fan--more valuing of the journey than the destination.

But if you're more of a destination person, it makes sense to value the other option, as well; I understand it. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.
Absolutely nothing to argue with here. Totally personal opinion. I (personally) prefer not to have the gold ring dangled in from of my and then snatched away, or, knowing there are only so many good seasons available, to 'waste' a number of them. I'm one who was fine from the late 60's to the early 90's because, with rare exceptions, the team never got my hopes for a Super Bowl up, so expectations were down to spoiling someone else's season, just beating a major rival or two, that sort of thing. Again, good job of laying out the options.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

The Green Bay Packers have elevated CB Tramon Williams (truh-MON) from the practice squad to the active roster for gameday as a COVID-19 replacement, elevated DL Brian Price and CB KeiVarae Russell (kee-VAR-ay) from the practice squad to the active roster for gameday, signed P Ryan Winslow to the practice squad and released RB Dexter Williams from the practice squad. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transactions Saturday.
There goes Dexter Williams.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Sign Mark Ingram if you need a spot rb, Dexter Williams a lost cause. No issues there.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
23 Jan 2021 22:01
Sign Mark Ingram if you need a spot rb, Dexter Williams a lost cause. No issues there.
We dont need a RB. We have 3.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Jan 2021 22:58
BF004 wrote:
23 Jan 2021 22:01
We dont need a RB. We have 3.
I know, I was commenting on the releasing Dexter Williams part. If we need a body in 2 weeks, don’t need Williams at all. Can do better.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Based on Linsley's presser today, it sure doesn't sound like he'll be back. Said there haven't been any conversations yet. .....and his wife posted this.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

paco wrote:
25 Jan 2021 16:18
Based on Linsley's presser today, it sure doesn't sound like he'll be back. Said there haven't been any conversations yet. .....and his wife posted this.
Like Ive said in recent posts. They took 3 interior lineman last last. If that isnt the writing on the wall I dont know what is. Jenkins was a college center and a very good one. He offers flexibility. I love Linsley. He was a guy I mocked a lot but you cant pay everyone. If you stack too much money into the OL the rest of the team is going to suffer.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Jan 2021 16:41
paco wrote:
Like Ive said in recent posts. They took 3 interior lineman last last. If that isnt the writing on the wall I dont know what is. Jenkins was a college center and a very good one. He offers flexibility. I love Linsley. He was a guy I mocked a lot but you cant pay everyone. If you stack too much money into the OL the rest of the team is going to suffer.
Yeah, and plug-and-play interior linemen are not that hard to find in the draft or cheap FAs.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
A bit disheartening. At least have a conversation.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Labrev wrote:
25 Jan 2021 17:05
lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Jan 2021 16:41
paco wrote:
Yeah, and plug-and-play interior linemen are not that hard to find in the draft or cheap FAs.
I really think the line will be Bak, Runyan, Jenkins, Turner, Wagner when Bak gets healthy. Before than probably gonna have to stay with Turner, Runyan, Jenkins, Patrick, Wagner. I think after yesterday RT just became a way greater need for us. Luckily there are about a dozen OTs I think that are worthy of a top two pick.

This is just my opinion but I think one of the rookies beats out Patrick in camp. Im higher on Runyan but havent done as much research on Stepaniak.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

We are piling up our needs here.

CB2, DL2, ILB, WR2/3, OT, RB, 3rd S
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
26 Jan 2021 06:00

Yes, but how many of those "needs" are critical at this point? You're listing mostly 2nd and 3rd level positions where we already have some options, they're just not optimal. Some of your "needs" are likely already on the roster from a development standpoint.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
26 Jan 2021 06:37
go pak go wrote:
26 Jan 2021 06:00

Yes, but how many of those "needs" are critical at this point? You're listing mostly 2nd and 3rd level positions where we already have some options, they're just not optimal. Some of your "needs" are likely already on the roster from a development standpoint.
I would consider CB2 and CB3 a major hole at this point and potential for our largest 2021 liability.

We al complained about ILB and DT this year....it has the potential to be peanuts compared to what our 2021 CB situation beyond Jaire could look like.

After that it's just a step down in talent. But those step downs could really add up. 2019 going into 2020 we had OT and ILB as our needs and potential liabilities. Overall we overcame that somewhat and have hope with a lucky UDFA pickup. I just think going into 2021 we have even more holes with less resources to plug them.

I'm not overly bullish at this point.
Yoop wrote: