Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
26 Mar 2023 14:48
wizard 87 wrote:
24 Mar 2023 19:51
Rodgers won't play in Green bay again, that ship has sailed now. They trade him or he retires. The next time he's in Lambeau on Packer business they retire his number.
I wouldn't retire his number. Taylor and Hornung and Gregg are more deserving.
I actually think at times you believe some of the stuff you say, Jimmy was so upset with Vince he volunteered to go to the Saints, don't get me wrong, Taylor was a fav player of mine, but he could also be a frustrating player to deal with, same with the Horn, or McGee, Vince was always after those guys for breaking curfew, and while Vince said Greg was the best OL man he ever had, he was a terrible coach in the sense that he allowed the players to wear hit list and purposely target players to hurt, imo none of the 3 are more deserving then Rodgers for the ring of honor or number retirement.

I don't get all this angst with Rodgers in these forums, it's like the guy pissed in every ones soup for cripe sakes :thwap:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

German_Panzer wrote:
26 Mar 2023 15:04
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
wizard 87 wrote:
Rodgers won't play in Green bay again, that ship has sailed now. They trade him or he retires. The next time he's in Lambeau on Packer business they retire his number.
We retired Favre‘s number who went to our divisional rival. I do not see how Rodgers does not deserve what Favre did.

But I question very much if #12 would retire assuming the trade implodes. Does he really walk away from 60 Mio. $ and retires the same year like GOAT? He‘ll be super-motivated either way, playing for us or the Jets.
For crying out loud, Brett won it all with a depleted receiving corp and great defense. Aaron won it all with a great receiving corp and a great defense. Favre was an iron man, Aaron wasn't.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 26 Mar 2023 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
26 Mar 2023 15:49
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
wizard 87 wrote:
I actually think at times you believe some of the stuff you say, Jimmy was so upset with Vince he volunteered to go to the Saints, don't get me wrong, Taylor was a fav player of mine, but he could also be a frustrating player to deal with, same with the Horn, or McGee, Vince was always after those guys for breaking curfew, and while Vince said Greg was the best OL man he ever had, he was a terrible coach in the sense that he allowed the players to wear hit list and purposely target players to hurt, imo none of the 3 are more deserving then Rodgers for the ring of honor or number retirement.

I don't get all this angst with Rodgers in these forums, it's like the guy pissed in every ones soup for cripe sakes :thwap:
Aaron agitated and irritated Packers fans with his holier than thou animations. Favre was the fan favorite forever when he hit Kitrick Taylor on that late TD pass when he substituted for Majik, and a couple years later with the big win over the Niners at 3Com Park.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
26 Mar 2023 17:41
Yoop wrote:
26 Mar 2023 15:49
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

Aaron agitated and irritated Packers fans with his holier than thou animations. Favre was the fan favorite forever when he hit Kitrick Taylor on that late TD pass when he substituted for Majik, and a couple years later with the big win over the Niners at 3Com Park.
I was pissed at Favre when he went to the Vikings but that is long since forgiven. In the end justice prevailed.

Now it is clear, Farve was the better QB and the better Packer. In a few years we are going to look back and understand that all those Rodgers' MVP's were just popularity contests and that Rodgers did not earn his salary and the Packers should have jumped at Denver's offer.

Had the Packers taken Denver up on their offer, they would have had their pick of
Kyle Hamilton Safety
Charles Cross LT
Chris Olave WR
Since Denver traded Noah Fant, they could have had him too
and many more options
They would also have had Denver's pick in this upcoming 2023 draft and maybe also a 2 or 3.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Mar 2023 01:25
[

I was pissed at Favre when he went to the Vikings but that is long since forgiven. In the end justice prevailed.

Now it is clear, Farve was the better QB and the better Packer. In a few years we are going to look back and understand that all those Rodgers' MVP's were just popularity contests and that Rodgers did not earn his salary and the Packers should have jumped at Denver's offer.
So ridiculous.

Rodgers has the two best years of any QB from a passer rating standpoint. He has 4 in the top 20 - Brees, Brady and Manning have 2 as the other QBs with multiple on the in the top 20 - Rodgers has 4!

He is 4 time mvp, sb mvp, sb winner, 4.52 td/int ratio.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

As the patron saint of Rodgers hate, no, saying Rodgers's number should not be retired is ridiculous.

re: other more deserving players... you can only retire so many numbers. Kinda need them so current players can, you know, wear them. It's way more than solely being a great player at your position, you also have to have achieved incredile accomplishments to be worthy of it, IMO.

Rodgers took us to a SuperBowl, won (MVP) plus four other league MVPs (even if I am of the mind that Adams was the true MVP of Rodgers's #3 and 4), offensive production over his career was amazing and set all kinds of records.

The bar for retiring a number should be high, and accomplishing as much as Rodgers did in his career is about as high as the bar can get.

As to the Favre vs. Rodgers debate, that one is a toss up. Rodgers was the better pure passer, but Favre accomplished about as much (one less MVP, but one more SB appearance in which he did enough to win only for coach to $%@# it up). And for all the whining about Rodgers's receiver talent, which is a ridiculous notion on its face, Favre was roughly as successful with objectively far inferior receivers to throw to. Not to mention the Iron Man streak while playing in a more violent NFL.

Favre's argument could be said to be "doing more with less," tougher circumstances but largely similar success.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

bud fox wrote:
27 Mar 2023 02:37
TheSkeptic wrote:
[

So ridiculous.

Rodgers has the two best years of any QB from a passer rating standpoint. He has 4 in the top 20 - Brees, Brady and Manning have 2 as the other QBs with multiple on the in the top 20 - Rodgers has 4!

Maybe people should abandon this ridiculous idea that MVP is important. It is not. Never was and never will be. MVP is determined by reporters and is nothing more than a popularity contest. Players do not vote. Coaches do not vote. Only 50 sportswriters vote, and guess who matters to them- not the best players but how many social media clicks they get.

The determinant of who should have their number retired are in order: SB victories, SB appearances, Playoff wins, playoff appearances, contribution to regular season wins, who changed how the game is played and last of all - personal stats.

I can think of many players who, according to these criteria, achieved more than AR. Certainly Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Paul Hornung, Ron Kramer (no, not Jerry), Forrest Gregg, Ray Nitschke, Herb Adderley, Willie Davis, Willie Wood, Henry Jordan. Gale Gillingham, James Lofton, John Brockington, Reggie White, Sir Charles, Julius Peppers, Leroy Butler, Davonte Adams, Dave Robinson, Ahman Green, Paul Coffman, Nick Collins, Z Smith and among present Packers Aaron Jones, Kenny Clark, Bakhtiari, Jaire and Gary. This list is only since the 1960's. If I wanted, I could find another 10.

You cannot retire all their numbers. But all of them are more deserving of that honor than a player who hamstrung the salary cap for a decade, hurting the team and his teammates, and failed to produce in the playoffs when it mattered.

So ridiculous says the man who values social media clicks above all else. :dunno:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Mar 2023 07:28
bud fox wrote:
27 Mar 2023 02:37
TheSkeptic wrote:
[

So ridiculous.

Maybe people should abandon this ridiculous idea that MVP is important. It is not. Never was and never will be. MVP is determined by reporters and is nothing more than a popularity contest. Players do not vote. Coaches do not vote. Only 50 sportswriters vote, and guess who matters to them- not the best players but how many social media clicks they get.

The determinant of who should have their number retired are in order: SB victories, SB appearances, Playoff wins, playoff appearances, contribution to regular season wins, who changed how the game is played and last of all - personal stats.

I can think of many players who, according to these criteria, achieved more than AR. Certainly Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Paul Hornung, Ron Kramer (no, not Jerry), Forrest Gregg, Ray Nitschke, Herb Adderley, Willie Davis, Willie Wood, Henry Jordan. Gale Gillingham, James Lofton, John Brockington, Reggie White, Sir Charles, Julius Peppers, Leroy Butler, Davonte Adams, Dave Robinson, Ahman Green, Paul Coffman, Nick Collins, Z Smith and among present Packers Aaron Jones, Kenny Clark, Bakhtiari, Jaire and Gary. This list is only since the 1960's. If I wanted, I could find another 10.

You cannot retire all their numbers. But all of them are more deserving of that honor than a player who hamstrung the salary cap for a decade, hurting the team and his teammates, and failed to produce in the playoffs when it mattered.

So ridiculous says the man who values social media clicks above all else. :dunno:
I'm happy Gary is finally getting the respect he deserves... ;)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

50 of the most revered sports journalist pick out the player whos ability was most important for there teams success, it says how good that individual was and also that he over achieved the expectations of all others to win it.

Aaron Rodgers worst critics= spoiled rotten Packer fans.

people hated Favre 15 years ago, now they swoon at the mention of his name, it'll be the same with Rodgers, even sooner unless he steals tax payer money to build something for someone related to him :rotf:

haaaaa, Gary and Z Smith, one year wonders, lunacy :rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
27 Mar 2023 08:14
50 of the most revered sports journalist pick out the player whos ability was most important for there teams success, it says how good that individual was and also that he over achieved the expectations of all others to win it.

We are in alignment here. Some of the posts on this page have definitely taken it too far.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

To bring this back to the thread topic (Rodgers trade, not All Things 12)....

I am feeling chill af, tbh. I felt very antsy about the trade getting done in the days immediately preceding and following the Rodgers interview on McAfee, but now I am content to take our sweet ass time.

And I get the impression that Jets fans feel... very differently.

I have no problem trying to drive a hard bargain with NYJ, make them sweat.

I am also starting to change my mind on what I want here. Initially I felt like I might rather have both their 2's than their 1, because that Late 1/Early 2 range looks like a sweet spot for us.

Now I am starting to want #13, because it inches us a little closer to the top prospects, and there are so few truly elite/blue talents in this draft that I might want the ability to nab one, namely JSN (but if not him, might also be interested to a lesser extent in a move up for Skoronoski), and then just grab value picks at the stronger positions in this draft.
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:

people hated Favre 15 years ago, now they swoon at the mention of his name, it'll be the same with Rodgers, even sooner unless he steals tax payer money to build something for someone related to him :rotf:

You just can't resist doing it to yourself, can you?

Year Games Tackles Assists Tackles for loss FF Sacks QB hits
2019 16 55 14 17 1 13.5 37
2020 16 52 17 12 4 12.5 23
2022 16 44 12 15 1 10 24

Is it really so hard to find?
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... itZa00.htm

Please post Rodgers stats for the last few years. I am curious but there is no time.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Gutekunst Job is on the line, if he fails to get a deal done with the Jets, and should Love falter he'll be on the hot seat, eventually he'll take the best deal he can get from the Jets, and I don't see the Jets giving us slot 13, maybe a trade of 1st round picks and a 2nd this season and a pick to be determined in 2024, and a portion of that guaranteed money.

why would the Jets bail Guty and Murphy out for there lack of fore sight giving Rodgers a contract they didn't intend to honor :thwap:

It is laugh out loud funny to think either side has the upper hand here, both sides lose if Rodgers isn't a jet this season.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Mar 2023 09:21
Yoop wrote:

You just can't resist doing it to yourself, can you?

Year Games Tackles Assists Tackles for loss FF Sacks QB hits
2019 16 55 14 17 1 13.5 37
2020 16 52 17 12 4 12.5 23
2022 16 44 12 15 1 10 24

Is it really so hard to find?
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... itZa00.htm

Please post Rodgers stats for the last few years. I am curious but there is no time.
one good season, and one very good season is vastly over shadowed by a QB that is the biggest by far reason for our success the last 15 season.

and I don't need to look up anything to know that I'am right, and for the majority of those 15 seasons he did it with the worst ST's in the league and a defense that barely broke average as well, 10 years from now you wont even remember who Z Smith was, probably not Gary either, but you will never forget the name Aaron Rodgers

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
26 Mar 2023 17:33
German_Panzer wrote:
26 Mar 2023 15:04
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

We retired Favre‘s number who went to our divisional rival. I do not see how Rodgers does not deserve what Favre did.

But I question very much if #12 would retire assuming the trade implodes. Does he really walk away from 60 Mio. $ and retires the same year like GOAT? He‘ll be super-motivated either way, playing for us or the Jets.
For crying out loud, Brett won it all with a depleted receiving corp and great defense. Aaron won it all with a great receiving corp and a great defense. Favre was an iron man, Aaron wasn't.
Wolf brought in Rison, Jackson and MVP Howard for that SB run, remind me again of the impact players Gute brought in besides Nixon to help Rodgers? :rotf:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
27 Mar 2023 09:28
Gutekunst Job is on the line, if he fails to get a deal done with the Jets, and should Love falter he'll be on the hot seat,
Just want to say, this is a very very common view among Packers fans and it is simply not the case, in reality. Both Gutenkunst and MLF were extended last summer. Mark Murphy probably has no interest in eating those contract buyouts and the extensions themselves serve as somewhat of a vote of confidence from the Murphy camp. There's no indication that Murphy is not 100% on board with the moves the team has been making.

Further, plying with a first-time starting QB typically BUYS you a year, in general NFL analysis. Expectations are generally a bit muted with new starters at QB. The Packers' brain trust basically has 2023 and 2024 guaranteed unless something absolutely IMPLODES this year, and that doesn't just mean, like 6-11, which would be bad. It means Love looks unplayable, top-5 draft pick, discontented locker room bad.

Gutey and MLF are nearly as safe this year as any tandem in the league. Their status has been pretty well assured. Rumors of hot seats are just idle media chatter and fan discontent.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Mar 2023 09:45
Yoop wrote:
27 Mar 2023 09:28
Gutekunst Job is on the line, if he fails to get a deal done with the Jets, and should Love falter he'll be on the hot seat,
Just want to say, this is a very very common view among Packers fans and it is simply not the case, in reality. Both Gutenkunst and MLF were extended last summer. Mark Murphy probably has no interest in eating those contract buyouts and the extensions themselves serve as somewhat of a vote of confidence from the Murphy camp. There's no indication that Murphy is not 100% on board with the moves the team has been making.

Further, plying with a first-time starting QB typically BUYS you a year, in general NFL analysis. Expectations are generally a bit muted with new starters at QB. The Packers' brain trust basically has 2023 and 2024 guaranteed unless something absolutely IMPLODES this year, and that doesn't just mean, like 6-11, which would be bad. It means Love looks unplayable, top-5 draft pick, discontented locker room bad.

Gutey and MLF are nearly as safe this year as any tandem in the league. Their status has been pretty well assured. Rumors of hot seats are just idle media chatter and fan discontent.
obviously they will both get this season, and it will take disaster for them to be ousted, again though if Gute plays hardball to the point of this deal falling through, then everything he's done comes into play, the bloated contract, the drafting of Love, the lack of offensive skill position picks, I actually hold Murphy more to blame then Gute, and Gute contract isn't much compared to Rodgers.

and look at the drafts, 3 studs who each has lost a season to injury, a few above average prospects, Gute has done well finding quality UFA and thats about it.

we need to take our lumps with Rodgers departure, my biggest fear now is that the Jets back out of this thing

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
27 Mar 2023 10:00
and look at the drafts, 3 studs who each has lost a season to injury,
Right, because injury from players who weren't oft-injured in college is a GM's fault now. :thwap:
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
27 Mar 2023 10:03
Yoop wrote:
and look at the drafts, 3 studs who each has lost a season to injury,
Right, because injury from players who weren't oft-injured in college is a GM's fault now. :thwap:
He shoulda seen it coming!
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
obviously they will both get this season, and it will take disaster for them to be ousted, again though if Gute plays hardball to the point of this deal falling through, then everything he's done comes into play, the bloated contract, the drafting of Love, the lack of offensive skill position picks, I actually hold Murphy more to blame then Gute, and Gute contract isn't much compared to Rodgers.
Right, so if it takes a disaster for someone to be ousted, there is no hot seat.

And sure "if this deal falls through," but 1) that's a long, long way off. And 2) Joe Douglas will be fired before the season starts if Aaron Rodgers isn't the team's starting QB. His owner wants it (badly). The head coach and multiple players have made public comments acting as if/expecting him to be there.

If this is a discussion of which GM needs to do this deal for the sake of their job, there is no conversation. The pressure is on the Jets. The Packers can figure their way out of a fallback situation (though it would be bad). The Jets simply can't.