General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
26 Jan 2021 06:44
APB wrote:
26 Jan 2021 06:37
go pak go wrote:
26 Jan 2021 06:00
We are piling up our needs here.

CB2, DL2, ILB, WR2/3, OT, RB, 3rd S
Yes, but how many of those "needs" are critical at this point? You're listing mostly 2nd and 3rd level positions where we already have some options, they're just not optimal. Some of your "needs" are likely already on the roster from a development standpoint.
I would consider CB2 and CB3 a major hole at this point and potential for our largest 2021 liability.

We al complained about ILB and DT this year....it has the potential to be peanuts compared to what our 2021 CB situation beyond Jaire could look like.

After that it's just a step down in talent. But those step downs could really add up. 2019 going into 2020 we had OT and ILB as our needs and potential liabilities. Overall we overcame that somewhat and have hope with a lucky UDFA pickup. I just think going into 2021 we have even more holes with less resources to plug them.

I'm not overly bullish at this point.
how can we pay for a CB that on average plays 10 games a season and does it poorly, and the rest after him are not starter talent, CB will be a very high draft pick, maybe two.

how can we be satisfied with Tackles that only excel against mediocre pass rushers?

we obviously will need to replace Jones with a draft pick, if we also lose Williams we'll need two

DT or will Snacks be back, and is Snacks worth bringing back?

Barnes has shown enough so we can probably get by, Summers is also starting to play better since getting healthy, this isn't a great ILB class anyway.

imo one of the biggest team needs is a quality slot receiver.

theres always plenty of draft needy positions.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 Jan 2021 07:11
go pak go wrote:
APB wrote:
26 Jan 2021 06:37

Yes, but how many of those "needs" are critical at this point? You're listing mostly 2nd and 3rd level positions where we already have some options, they're just not optimal. Some of your "needs" are likely already on the roster from a development standpoint.
I would consider CB2 and CB3 a major hole at this point and potential for our largest 2021 liability.

We al complained about ILB and DT this year....it has the potential to be peanuts compared to what our 2021 CB situation beyond Jaire could look like.

After that it's just a step down in talent. But those step downs could really add up. 2019 going into 2020 we had OT and ILB as our needs and potential liabilities. Overall we overcame that somewhat and have hope with a lucky UDFA pickup. I just think going into 2021 we have even more holes with less resources to plug them.

how can we pay for a CB that on average plays 10 games a season and does it poorly, and the rest after him are not starter talent, CB will be a very high draft pick, maybe two.

how can we be satisfied with Tackles that only excel against mediocre pass rushers?

we obviously will need to replace Jones with a draft pick, if we also lose Williams we'll need two

Barnes has shown enough so we can probably get by, Summers is also starting to play better since getting healthy, this isn't a great ILB class anyway.

Are you seeing how many needs you just posted there?

CB - will need to use a high pick. Maybe 2. - Draft slots required: 2
Tackle: High Draft Slots required: 1
DT: High Draft Slots required: 1
WR: High Draft Slots required: 1
RB: High Draft Slots required: 1

So you got 6 high priority needs there. We get 3 draft picks the first two days. A GREAT draft is you find 2 to 3 good players.

Now you can start to see why I'm not extremely bullish on the 2021 Packers at this point. I think we will be a division leader but I don't think we will be the conference leader like we were this year.

We missed our opportunity.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
26 Jan 2021 07:26
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

So you got 6 high priority needs there. We get 3 draft picks the first two days. A GREAT draft is you find 2 to 3 good players.

Now you can start to see why I'm not extremely bullish on the 2021 Packers at this point. I think we will be a division leader but I don't think we will be the conference leader like we were this year.

your reading stuff I didn't write, for instance I only mentioned 2 positions with high draft status, CB and slot receiver, I get that we only have 3 picks in the top 90, I also fully grasp that on average 2 or 3 starter talent is all we should expect from a draft class.

yes we did miss a great opportunity to win another Lombardi, however with Rodgers anything is possible, but we have to be smart about this, HE NEEDS receivers that better fit Matt Lafluers schemes, versus all these tall lanky guys that need a city block to turn around and have trouble catching the ball even when it's perfectly placed, and before you mention Adams, he gets a pass because on average he catchs practically everything thrown his way.

there'll be plenty more opportunity's

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

go pak go wrote:
26 Jan 2021 07:26
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I see your point GPG, but I think you're WAY too early in saying we missed our opportunity. That was said last year at this time, too.

If we want to go all-in with AR, there are ways to clear a LOT of cap room and be real players in an a unique free agency year. Extensions to AR, Davante, Z and maybe Amos would clear tens of millions of cap space. Bak's roster bonus could be converted to signing bonus.

There are some replaceable guys we could cut: Moving on from Kirksey and Warner would be 10M more.

We may be better equipped to fill holes than you think.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
26 Jan 2021 07:47
I see your point GPG, but I think you're WAY too early in saying we missed our opportunity. That was said last year at this time, too.

If we want to go all-in with AR, there are ways to clear a LOT of cap room and be real players in an a unique free agency year. Extensions to AR, Davante, Z and maybe Amos would clear tens of millions of cap space. Bak's roster bonus could be converted to signing bonus.

There are some replaceable guys we could cut: Moving on from Kirksey and Warner would be 10M more.

We may be better equipped to fill holes than you think.
I think that is our best shot and I unfortunately think we need to dip into the FA pool this year.

I do think Preston, Kirksey and Lowry should be gone which could save us anywhere from $15 to $20 Million on current cap burden.

But our best shot is there are bargains at both CB and DL. I think we need them both and I am really hopeful we can find two steals on cheaper 1 to 2 year deals.

If we don't, I'm not optimistic for the 2021 season. I did say the last year RT was a major concern but we did okay because we got the huge break with Wagner and Turner played above expectations.

We are going to need that type of break at CB for sure and hopefully DL as well.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

A reminder to all on our current cap situation when figuring out what we are going to do with players next season.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
26 Jan 2021 08:38
A reminder to all on our current cap situation when figuring out what we are going to do with players next season.
Yes, but that is assuming the cap goes down by like $25 million. I HIGHLY doubt that happens.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yeah, it won't go down to 175.

Owners still dangling that as a bargaining chip, IMO. Really don't think they care a ton where or when these losses should come, this low salary cap really should do nothing to hurt the quality of the product during the draft or come fall.

The players on the other hand, definitely want this spread out, given 10-20% of the league won't even be in the NFL in 2 years, they surely don't want to take all that lump right now.

So owner's playing this right, just need the players to concede that 17 game season, among other things, to spread it out.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I agree with you guys. I think they'll find a way for it to stay flat or close to it. But Packers are still over the cap. We all like to assume who gets cut, but there are always surprises. Restructures sound nice, but it's a 2 way street. Have to plan for new deals with Adams and Jaire at a minimum. Long bumpy road ahead. But most likely the Packers won't be in play for big time free agents this year. Probably more cheaper vet contracts.

And the more talk about Rodgers and his contract... Whatever happens there, will help us see what the path forward is.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

[mention]BF004[/mention] did not think of that! This is exactly how the owners get a 17th game. Agree to not reduce the salary cap in 2021.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Jan 2021 10:03
So CB in Round 1/2 and a free agent or 2. How the hell did Tramon not get in that game?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :messedup:
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Jan 2021 10:00
@BF004 did not think of that! This is exactly how the owners get a 17th game. Agree to not reduce the salary cap in 2021.
I have a feeling the end result will be the 2021 salary is exactly the same as it was in 2020, which if I recall is like 198.

Agree to that, then figure how to kick that can down the road to balance it out.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Huh. Sounds a LOT like my post in the Bucs thread of our team actually didn't play too bad. We just had very, very, very large liabilities with two DB's.
go pak go wrote:
26 Jan 2021 06:49
Honestly when I look at this game, I think the Packers played fine for the exception of our liabilities were really, really, really, really bad.

Kevin King not only played the worst game of his career, but rivaled the worst performance of any Packer player I can remember in a long time. Chandon Sullivan also played really, really, really bad.

Finally we had Will Redmond as our single top safety. what. the. f*ck.

I mean that's you difference. Our liabilities were just way worse. The Bucs got to steal at minimum one...if not two possessions because of our complete inadequate play by Kevin King and Chandon Sullivan.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
26 Jan 2021 10:16
Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Jan 2021 10:00
@BF004 did not think of that! This is exactly how the owners get a 17th game. Agree to not reduce the salary cap in 2021.
I have a feeling the end result will be the 2021 salary is exactly the same as it was in 2020, which if I recall is like 198.

Agree to that, then figure how to kick that can down the road to balance it out.
I think that 17th game will more than make up for it, in a hurry.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
26 Jan 2021 10:31
Pckfn23 wrote:
Huh. Sounds a LOT like my post in the Bucs thread of our team actually didn't play too bad. We just had very, very, very large liabilities with two DB's.
go pak go wrote:
26 Jan 2021 06:49
Honestly when I look at this game, I think the Packers played fine for the exception of our liabilities were really, really, really, really bad.

Kevin King not only played the worst game of his career, but rivaled the worst performance of any Packer player I can remember in a long time. Chandon Sullivan also played really, really, really bad.

Finally we had Will Redmond as our single top safety. what. the. f*ck.

I mean that's you difference. Our liabilities were just way worse. The Bucs got to steal at minimum one...if not two possessions because of our complete inadequate play by Kevin King and Chandon Sullivan.
Even Sullivan wasn't completely awful after that first quarter. I think his passer rating when targeted ended up around 70-something, compared to King's 140.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah Sullivan is too cheap and decent to let go. But I wouldn't mind giving him competition.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Can anyone confirm if Sullivan is a RFA or ERFA? I've seen both.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
26 Jan 2021 10:50
I see RFA... I think he was an ERFA last offseason.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Jan 2021 10:56
paco wrote:
26 Jan 2021 10:50
I see RFA... I think he was an ERFA last offseason.
So Sullivan is likely looking at around $2 to $2.5 Million at a first refusal tender or $3 to $3.5 million at a 2nd round tender.

I think he is worth that.
Yoop wrote: