Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Captain_Ben wrote:
27 Mar 2023 14:51
Seems that whenever Rodgers has had his way with receiving personnel, the player(s) in question always flop. The Jets have a stout defense. I would have said that adding Rodgers would make them a Super Bowl contender but the fact that Lazard is now a Jet makes me think not.

That has been one of my 2 biggest frustrations with AR. Why does he pump up guys like Richard Rodgers, Tonyan, Cobb, etc.? I wanted him back on the Pack but if he's going to be all about playing with his "buddies" then good riddance. Play to win 'chips- plain and simple.
come on, Rodgers asked for these vets because he was tired of asking for rookies and his GM drafting defense or QB's, so imo Rodgers hasn't had his way concerning receivers as much as you think

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I guess I won't put much stock into it until after the draft comes and goes and nothing.

But it did appear we just simply could not eat any of Rodgers salary given our current state. If we wait till June 1st, we definitely could, a good 15M, which is Aaron's '23 cap hit (25M would get pushed to next year).

Rodgers will sign a new contract, however that will look, GB paying any of it is still worth significant draft capital.

So first deadline is draft, but after that, is June 1st, when a bunch of new possibilities open.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Mar 2023 07:28
bud fox wrote:
27 Mar 2023 02:37
TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Mar 2023 01:25
[

I was pissed at Favre when he went to the Vikings but that is long since forgiven. In the end justice prevailed.

Now it is clear, Farve was the better QB and the better Packer. In a few years we are going to look back and understand that all those Rodgers' MVP's were just popularity contests and that Rodgers did not earn his salary and the Packers should have jumped at Denver's offer.
So ridiculous.

Rodgers has the two best years of any QB from a passer rating standpoint. He has 4 in the top 20 - Brees, Brady and Manning have 2 as the other QBs with multiple on the in the top 20 - Rodgers has 4!

He is 4 time mvp, sb mvp, sb winner, 4.52 td/int ratio.
Maybe people should abandon this ridiculous idea that MVP is important. It is not. Never was and never will be. MVP is determined by reporters and is nothing more than a popularity contest. Players do not vote. Coaches do not vote. Only 50 sportswriters vote, and guess who matters to them- not the best players but how many social media clicks they get.

The determinant of who should have their number retired are in order: SB victories, SB appearances, Playoff wins, playoff appearances, contribution to regular season wins, who changed how the game is played and last of all - personal stats.

I can think of many players who, according to these criteria, achieved more than AR. Certainly Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Paul Hornung, Ron Kramer (no, not Jerry), Forrest Gregg, Ray Nitschke, Herb Adderley, Willie Davis, Willie Wood, Henry Jordan. Gale Gillingham, James Lofton, John Brockington, Reggie White, Sir Charles, Julius Peppers, Leroy Butler, Davonte Adams, Dave Robinson, Ahman Green, Paul Coffman, Nick Collins, Z Smith and among present Packers Aaron Jones, Kenny Clark, Bakhtiari, Jaire and Gary. This list is only since the 1960's. If I wanted, I could find another 10.

You cannot retire all their numbers. But all of them are more deserving of that honor than a player who hamstrung the salary cap for a decade, hurting the team and his teammates, and failed to produce in the playoffs when it mattered.

So ridiculous says the man who values social media clicks above all else. :dunno:
He has 4 best qb rating seasons out of the top 20 seasons!

pick and choose what you want to respond to but your opinion is ridiculous.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

BF004 wrote:
27 Mar 2023 17:33
Wow surprised he said that about the first pick.

Seems like setting expectations for fans.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
27 Mar 2023 17:39
Wow surprised he said that about the first pick.

Seems like setting expectations for fans.
See I read it as keeping all options open. And "not necessarily a first round pick" ...could mean not that pick, but the value of one. Like, say, if a team has two 2nd round picks. You could accept that instead.

If the Packers weren't asking for a lot, the deal would be done by now.

But it is expected of you to read the negative possibility without consideration of the more positive or neutral.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Have a feeling this will get uglier before it gets better. :messedup:

Prolly some truth to it, but wish Gute would practice what he preaches here.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I figured Rodgers wasn't telling the whole story and spinning it so he looked like the good guy.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I just don't think the Jets will part with slot 13, and never did, possibly flopping 13 for 15, or more likely though both 2nd rounders, a pick next year and maybe a player.

seems pretty obvious what Rodgers says to the media about liking everyone in the FO is Rodgers not wanting to burn bridges and to come off as the nice QB being pushed out by the mean GM ;)

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
27 Mar 2023 17:48

I mean I can see that, but I think there's a difference between what Rodgers has consistently said through the media for about 3 years now, and utilizing a personal media mouthpiece to paint a picture... versus answering questions about what Rodgers said at an NFL event when asked.

Granted, Gute could say the old TT thing about not getting into family business in the media or what have you, but when you feel the only narrative is both inaccurate and potentially harmful to the organization's ability to draw free agent interest, it's partially duty-bound to put another version of the story into the ether.

Now, the true moral high ground lies with the truth, and that can't be verified. But I don't very much mind simply saying "look, we tried to make contact, and we were not able to;" and "I'd prefer we handled this in house, rather than in the media, but that's not how he does things"
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 27 Mar 2023 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

The follow-up response to the original tweet says it all:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yep. And I think there's a difference between airing out dirty laundry and public and also having the right to set the record straight. Rodgers made it sound like The Packers never contacted him, and if that is completely false that I don't really blame Gute for defending himself.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
27 Mar 2023 17:48
Have a feeling this will get uglier before it gets better. :messedup:

That is where Guty is being gracious and diplomatic to 12. Any time that any player takes his personal issues to the media without presenting them to their employer (that would be the team), that can only cause further problems before any fix is made. The pattern of that is one reason that you trade or release players.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gute seems slimey to me
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Gute just wants to make sure that Rodgers doesn’t think about coming back to GB. He just drew another line in the sand.

Gute might as well have just bitch slapped him.
Last edited by Foosball on 27 Mar 2023 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Love is the answer…

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Mar 2023 18:59
Gute seems slimey to me
It's his hair. He's actually a nice guy.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Mar 2023 07:28
bud fox wrote:
27 Mar 2023 02:37
TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Mar 2023 01:25
[

I was pissed at Favre when he went to the Vikings but that is long since forgiven. In the end justice prevailed.

Now it is clear, Farve was the better QB and the better Packer. In a few years we are going to look back and understand that all those Rodgers' MVP's were just popularity contests and that Rodgers did not earn his salary and the Packers should have jumped at Denver's offer.
So ridiculous.

Rodgers has the two best years of any QB from a passer rating standpoint. He has 4 in the top 20 - Brees, Brady and Manning have 2 as the other QBs with multiple on the in the top 20 - Rodgers has 4!

He is 4 time mvp, sb mvp, sb winner, 4.52 td/int ratio.
Maybe people should abandon this ridiculous idea that MVP is important. It is not. Never was and never will be. MVP is determined by reporters and is nothing more than a popularity contest. Players do not vote. Coaches do not vote. Only 50 sportswriters vote, and guess who matters to them- not the best players but how many social media clicks they get.

The determinant of who should have their number retired are in order: SB victories, SB appearances, Playoff wins, playoff appearances, contribution to regular season wins, who changed how the game is played and last of all - personal stats.

I can think of many players who, according to these criteria, achieved more than AR. Certainly Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Paul Hornung, Ron Kramer (no, not Jerry), Forrest Gregg, Ray Nitschke, Herb Adderley, Willie Davis, Willie Wood, Henry Jordan. Gale Gillingham, James Lofton, John Brockington, Reggie White, Sir Charles, Julius Peppers, Leroy Butler, Davonte Adams, Dave Robinson, Ahman Green, Paul Coffman, Nick Collins, Z Smith and among present Packers Aaron Jones, Kenny Clark, Bakhtiari, Jaire and Gary. This list is only since the 1960's. If I wanted, I could find another 10.

You cannot retire all their numbers. But all of them are more deserving of that honor than a player who hamstrung the salary cap for a decade, hurting the team and his teammates, and failed to produce in the playoffs when it mattered.

So ridiculous says the man who values social media clicks above all else. :dunno:
Ringo fully concurs with this logic. 4X All Pro gets inner facade status ... but not retired number status.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 28 Mar 2023 00:27, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

"Obviously, it was a disappointing season,” Gutekunst said. “You come out of the season, you have a lot of conversations not only with Aaron, but with the rest of the team, coaches and everybody. And then as you go through that process, you kind of get an idea of where you’re going to move to as a team, how you’re going to go forward. I think I was really looking forward to the conversations with Aaron to see how he’d fit into that. Those never transpired."

“So there came a time where we kind of had to make some decisions. So we went through his representatives to kind of talk to him about where we were going with our team. At that point, they informed us they would like to be traded to the Jets.”

“Whenever a player may have issues,” Gutekunst said, “you prefer that they talk to you directly and not do it in the media. But that’s not necessarily the way he goes about it, and that’s OK.”

“After the season,” Gutekunst said, “we had a good conversation and we were going to have some follow-up conversations. And our inability to reach him or for him to respond in any way, I think at that point, I had to do my job and kind of reach out and understand that a trade could be possible, and see who was interested.”

“I think that’s not a necessity (to get a first-round pick),” Gutekunst said. “But at the same time, the value of the player – he’s a premier player – so getting premier picks back for (premier) players is important.”
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sport ... 052108007/
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Well those are two very different stories.

Only thing I can add is many of us noted multiple "inconsistencies" in Aaron's interview whereas BG seemed to talk straight and to the point.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Errant LOLgers be all like ~this org needs to C O M M U N I C A T E and show more respect for vets! D:

also Lolgers (re:org calls)... new phone, who dis? xD =P **takes drugs**
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto