General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

For the people that use Patrick Queens PFF grade to trash him and justify drafting a guy who never once dressed for a game instead of him, just know that PFF gave devon white a season long grade of 43, and had him in the bottom 10 for ILBs most of the season. :mrgreen:
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
10 Feb 2021 07:36
a player that probably would have caught both dropped scoring passes in the game we last lost :rotf:
Yeah. Adams is a bum. ;)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I'm excited about his future. I really am. I think we all have a lot more confidence in him. I think he's got more confidence in himself, and so the key for him is he's gonna have to go back and hit that reset button like we all do, and really attack this offseason and make sure that he's working on ball drills every day. Make sure he's coming back in the best shape possible. Make sure he's getting, whether it's his leg strength or whatever it may be, he gets stronger because there is a expectation for him. I think he set the standard for himself, which is pretty high, which is awesome for this football team.”

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/n ... 724163002/

I like that MLF expresses the need for players to take the off season seriously and continue to work and stay in shape, and meet there O S team expectations of them, that didn't appear to happen last year, at least on defense, probably another reason Pettine is working for the Bears these days.

I think this had become a problem under McCarthy his last 5 years, no one seemed to give a hoot as Lacy added 40 lbs in 2 years, NFL football is a 12 month a year occupation, if all your in it for is the molla, then go somewhere else.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
10 Feb 2021 08:23
For the people that use Patrick Queens PFF grade to trash him and justify drafting a guy who never once dressed for a game instead of him, just know that PFF gave devon white a season long grade of 43, and had him in the bottom 10 for ILBs most of the season. :mrgreen:
I think PFF was hit hard by covid, and most of there top eval guys either died or took the season off, there grades this year are garbage, :dunno: who knows, they nailed Queen mostly on lack of coverage ability, as though rookie ILB's are great at it, probably the same with Devon White.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
14 Feb 2021 09:56
Drj820 wrote:
I think PFF was hit hard by covid, and most of there top eval guys either died or took the season off, there grades this year are garbage, :dunno: who knows, they nailed Queen mostly on lack of coverage ability, as though rookie ILB's are great at it, probably the same with Devon White.
Judging by some of the anecdotal evidence I think what PFF does not do is effectively judge the play making of some of these freelance LB's. It's one of the reasons I wanted Kamal Martin on the field more. I don't care if he is screwing up, he will learn as he goes, but at least he is screwing up at 100 MPH. I imagine it's similar for a guy like Devin White. Can absolutely wreck a drive or even a game, but I bet he guesses wrong often enough and PFF probably grades him accordingly. That is a grade I am willing to throw out the window because I will take the big plays in the backfield and give up a couple 10-15 yard runs if that is what it costs. So, in that sense, yeah, I think Queen's grade and probably all ILB's in general, is a little too harsh on the negative and not strong enough on the positive.

Read More. Post Less.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

NCF wrote:
14 Feb 2021 10:01
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Judging by some of the anecdotal evidence I think what PFF does not do is effectively judge the play making of some of these freelance LB's. It's one of the reasons I wanted Kamal Martin on the field more. I don't care if he is screwing up, he will learn as he goes, but at least he is screwing up at 100 MPH. I imagine it's similar for a guy like Devin White. Can absolutely wreck a drive or even a game, but I bet he guesses wrong often enough and PFF probably grades him accordingly. That is a grade I am willing to throw out the window because I will take the big plays in the backfield and give up a couple 10-15 yard runs if that is what it costs. So, in that sense, yeah, I think Queen's grade and probably all ILB's in general, is a little too harsh on the negative and not strong enough on the positive.
I agree with you on Martin. I think it's silly to expect a rookie or even a veteran to be perfect all of the time.
I've said before, a vet such as King makes bad mistakes all season long and he's still out there. A guy like Martin has a bad play and he sits for a long time.
Nobody here can say if Queen didn't make the same mistakes Martin did. But because Queen was a first rounder, he gets more slack when he screws up.
There are plenty of players who can't get a chance to play because a coach or coordinator doesn't have confidence in them. That doesn't mean he can't play, just means he won't get the chance to show what he can do.
It's becoming a little silly in sports in general when everything is being looked through the prism of analytics.
One example of this is going for it on 4th down. The percentage says one thing, yet every team has different types of players. Maybe a team with a more mobile QB has had more success than say a team with Ben Rothlesberger under center. But the % says to go for it even though your team hasn't been all that good at it.
And yeah, you can put in a more athletic QB, but that can tip your hand as to what the play is going to be.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
I disagree, in game is not the place to learn if ya can help it, bad habits form and are hard to correct, thats why McCarthy, and also Lafluer have said until you do it right in practice, then we don't want to put you in a game.

who besides race car drivers learn anything going a 100 mph? :roll: :rotf: they kept trying Martin when both Barnes and KIrksey had injury's, what choice did we have, once KIrksey and Barnes where healthy Martin didn't play as much, imo when you play a guy before he's ready, and he fails which most often is the case, the player starts doubting himself and he losses confidence, thats counter productive and just sets that player back, not a good thing.

most of what I read on Queen where complaints about his coverage and slowness to react, not about his tackling or run stop ability, lis a million times which you and others just refuse to accept is that interior coverage is not a walk in the park, most ILB and safety's struggle early to do well at it.

Christo: how can you bench King when you don't have another corner half as good?
Last edited by Yoop on 14 Feb 2021 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Yoop wrote:
14 Feb 2021 11:22
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I disagree, in game is not the place to learn if ya can help it, bad habits form and are hard to correct, thats why McCarthy, and also Lafluer have said until you do it right in practice, then we don't want to put you in a game.

who besides race car drivers learn anything going at 100 mph? :roll: they kept trying Martin when both Barnes and KIrksey had injury's, what choice did we have, I doubt that was by choice, once KIrksey and Barnes where healthy Martin didn't play.

most of what I read on Queen where complaints about his coverage and slowness to react, not about his tackling or run stop ability, lis a million times which you and others just refuse to accept is that interior coverage is not a walk in the park, most ILB and safety's struggle early to do well at it.

Christo: how in the hell can you bench King when you don't have another corner half as good, that doesn't make any sense at all.
IIRC, Jackson played pretty well in the first meeting between the Packers and Bucs. After that game he pretty much went into the witness protection program. All season long we heard he's a healthy scratch because he's not very good on special teams, well, who the hell was?
As far as benching King, maybe a sit down for a series or two would have focused his mind a little better.
There are ways to do things beside the " same old, same old ".

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Christo wrote:
14 Feb 2021 11:47
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:

who besides race car drivers learn anything going at 100 mph? :roll: they kept trying Martin when both Barnes and KIrksey had injury's, what choice did we have, I doubt that was by choice, once KIrksey and Barnes where healthy Martin didn't play.

Christo: how in the hell can you bench King when you don't have another corner half as good, that doesn't make any sense at all.
IIRC, Jackson played pretty well in the first meeting between the Packers and Bucs. After that game he pretty much went into the witness protection program. All season long we heard he's a healthy scratch because he's not very good on special teams, well, who the hell was?
As far as benching King, maybe a sit down for a series or two would have focused his mind a little better.
well imo neither are good in man coverage, however King can make it work because of his speed, Jackson can not, I don't remember how he did in the first Bucs game, but i'd guess we played a bunch of cover 2 to protect him, If Barry brings that scheme then Jackson might be a pretty good fit, King too, however the price tag might make him to expensive.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Yoop wrote:
14 Feb 2021 12:01
Christo wrote:
Yoop wrote:

well imo neither are good in man coverage, however King can make it work because of his speed, Jackson can not, I don't remember how he did in the first Bucs game, but i'd guess we played a bunch of cover 2 to protect him, If Barry brings that scheme then Jackson might be a pretty good fit, King too, however the price tag might make him to expensive.
I don't think they bring King back. And I'll go out on a limb and say Jackson is they're starting CB next season. For his first 3 seasons, Pettine has been the D-coordinator. My opinion has been Pettine just didn't like him for his style of defense. Now with a new DC, he gets a fresh start and being a contract year, I expect to see his best play next season.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Christo wrote:
14 Feb 2021 12:06
Yoop wrote:
14 Feb 2021 12:01
Christo wrote:

I don't think they bring King back. And I'll go out on a limb and say Jackson is they're starting CB next season. For his first 3 seasons, Pettine has been the D-coordinator. My opinion has been Pettine just didn't like him for his style of defense. Now with a new DC, he gets a fresh start and being a contract year, I expect to see his best play next season.
I think Jackson has a good chance of getting playtime and possibly starting. It sounds like it’ll be a primarily zone defense. That’s where Jackson should excel. He just can’t play man defense to save his life.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Can we start a new thread "General Packers News 2021" ?
Love is the answer…

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Foosball wrote:
15 Feb 2021 19:16
Can we start a new thread "General Packers News 2021" ?
You’re about 4 pages late to the party...

As for the rest of you, time to carry the conversation into the new league year. Giddy yap!