Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Heads up: I predict this Flores lawsuit will very soon have a new home at the Round Table. If there are non-political comments about it (I know, the whole topic is political) post em here while you can.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

The Flores legal situation is likely to trigger some strong responses. It already has.

I would remind members who choose to participate to keep your opinions focused on the topic and not on fellow posters. Posts that insult, denigrate, and/or goad fellow posters will not be tolerated. Keep your focus on the topic, please.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
02 Feb 2022 05:57
texas wrote:
01 Feb 2022 23:33
I don't know that I can root for the NFL owners or Ross (who I don't particularly care for), but I am definitely rooting against Flores. I hope they destroy that piece of &%$@. The NFL panders to minorities constantly and yet it's never good enough for people like Flores.

Shame that he has to bring up good guys like Dungy and Jim Caldwell and involve them in his nonsense. Curious to see how racism forced him to bench Ryan Fitzpatrick while they were winning and looking like a decent playoff team with a solid QB. Also curious to see how systemic injustice prevented him from being able to beat teams other than the Jets, Giants, Jaguars, and Texans.
when it comes to HC's and front office people the NFL is a white supremacist fraternity, everyone knows it, are you dense? and Ross should be forced to sell the Dolphins for trying to force his coach to break the rules.

and Flores has a strong case, most of the league has known that the Roony rule is a joke for years, highly qualified Black people have been snubbed for jobs they deserve based only on the color of there skin, why don't you go and read some reality

Steve Wyche
@wyche89
Can not tell you over the years how many black coaches took interviews, knowing they weren’t getting HC jobs but were encouraged to for the experience. The amount of texts and convos I have had this coaching cycle, with black coaches equate to this: “How’s that working out?” 😐
4:56 PM · Feb 1, 2022

and there are tons of comments such as this, your comments are 180 from the truth Tex, and this proves it, the NFL sure as hell does not cater to Black athletes and never has, where you come up with your assinine opinions is mind boggling.

every day, it's some political one liner or this racist BS, take your opinions back to the podium, I will not stand by as you divide this forum.

The NFL panders to minorities constantly and yet it's never good enough for people like Flores.

complete BS.
I don't know it. How many black coaches have been hired since 2000? How many have been successful? How has their firing been compared to white coaches? Flores had 3 years to win, the coach before him had 3 years, the coach before him had 3 years. Are black coaches supposed to get more time to win? Lewis had 15 years in Cinci before he was fired, after 3 losing seasons in a row.

I also find it interesting that you say " it's some political one liner or this racist BS, take your opinions back to the podium," When in your first sentence you put forth your very own "political" opinion.

Flores may or may not be right. WE have not seen the evidence, but he has a tough road to prove it. But I have to ask you this, how much time did the Packers give Rhodes? Isn't that on the owners?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
02 Feb 2022 07:25
Yoop wrote:
texas wrote:
I don't know that I can root for the NFL owners or Ross (who I don't particularly care for), but I am definitely rooting against Flores. I hope they destroy that piece of &%$@. The NFL panders to minorities constantly and yet it's never good enough for people like Flores.

Shame that he has to bring up good guys like Dungy and Jim Caldwell and involve them in his nonsense. Curious to see how racism forced him to bench Ryan Fitzpatrick while they were winning and looking like a decent playoff team with a solid QB. Also curious to see how systemic injustice prevented him from being able to beat teams other than the Jets, Giants, Jaguars, and Texans.
when it comes to HC's and front office people the NFL is a white supremacist fraternity, everyone knows it, are you dense? and Ross should be forced to sell the Dolphins for trying to force his coach to break the rules.

and Flores has a strong case, most of the league has known that the Roony rule is a joke for years, highly qualified Black people have been snubbed for jobs they deserve based only on the color of there skin, why don't you go and read some reality

Steve Wyche
@wyche89
Can not tell you over the years how many black coaches took interviews, knowing they weren’t getting HC jobs but were encouraged to for the experience. The amount of texts and convos I have had this coaching cycle, with black coaches equate to this: “How’s that working out?” 😐

and there are tons of comments such as this, your comments are 180 from the truth Tex, and this proves it, the NFL sure as hell does not cater to Black athletes and never has, where you come up with your assinine opinions is mind boggling.

every day, it's some political one liner or this racist BS, take your opinions back to the podium, I will not stand by as you divide this forum.

The NFL panders to minorities constantly and yet it's never good enough for people like Flores.

complete BS.
I don't know it. How many black coaches have been hired since 2000? How many have been successful? How has their firing been compared to white coaches? Flores had 3 years to win, the coach before him had 3 years, the coach before him had 3 years. Are black coaches supposed to get more time to win? Lewis had 15 years in Cinci before he was fired, after 3 losing seasons in a row.

I also find it interesting that you say " it's some political one liner or this racist BS, take your opinions back to the podium," When in your first sentence you put forth your very own "political" opinion.

Flores may or may not be right. WE have not seen the evidence, but he has a tough road to prove it. But I have to ask you this, how much time did the Packers give Rhodes? Isn't that on the owners?
I admit the Packers are a shinning example of league discrimination, obviously Rhodes seemed unqualified, but most teams are the same way
nothing much has changed the last 20 years.

The gains have since diminished, though, and the number of Black head coaches at the start of the 2021 season, three, was the same as in 2003.Jan 21, 2022

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+man ... 7s+has+bee
Last edited by Yoop on 02 Feb 2022 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I dont really see the complaint that flores has with the Giants. They can hire who they want to hire. They very well may have decided on Dabol, but what if Dabol declined their offer? They would need to keep interviewing people until Dabol accepted. Further, they didnt just satisfy the rooney rule by interviewing him, they interviewed 3 minority coaches. I think they were open minded until they honed in on Dabol.

As for the Dolphins, ya I think a white coach doesnt get canned after winning 7 of his last 8. Thats just my opinion. But sounds like Flores was a d*** to deal with and just had tension with the owner the entire time, which then the owner has every right to punt him.

The good thing about the Rooney rule is it gives minority coaches a chance to get in the room with owners and sell themselves. They have the chance to elevate themselves in those meetings. The bad part is that there are alot of sham interviews, because teams know who they want all the time. Its natural. So what does Flores want? Does he want the rooney rule scrapped and for minority coaches to not get in the room? I mean nothing he can say or do can make them hire people they do not want to.

This lawsuit would have been better suited for the minority Texans fired coach. He did a good job considering the circumstances there. He was well respected and the players liked him. Yet, he was brought in just to be fired basically. I really dont think that same thing happens to a white guy. Just my opinion.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
02 Feb 2022 07:36
Raptorman wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Steve Wyche
@wyche89

complete BS.

I admit the Packers are a shinning example of league discrimination, obviously Rhodes seemed unqualified, but most teams are the same way

The gains have since diminished, though, and the number of Black head coaches at the start of the 2021 season, three, was the same as in 2003.Jan 21, 2022

Um, take a visit to realityville for a second. Rhodes was black. His OC was black. His DC was black. To say the Packer org was discriminating because they fired the (less than successful) coaches is to ignore that the Packers HIRED the coaches in the first place.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
02 Feb 2022 08:48
Yoop wrote:
02 Feb 2022 07:36
Raptorman wrote:

Um, take a visit to realityville for a second. Rhodes was black. His OC was black. His DC was black. To say the Packer org was discriminating because they fired the (less than successful) coaches is to ignore that the Packers HIRED the coaches in the first place.
two minority HC's in 100 years, is on par with most NFL teams, 70% of the players are of a minority race, less then 5% are HC's.

the Rhodes hire went over like a fart in church, he was doomed to be a one year HC before he was even hired Scott, at least that was my perception of that situation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Raptorman wrote:
Yoop wrote:
texas wrote:

Steve Wyche
@wyche89

complete BS.

Yes, how is this proven without someone admitting they hired one man over the other because of race?

The Rhodes situation was different. Rhodes problem was he had no control over his team. Even if he got upset he would not enforce discipline on or off the field. He let "the inmates run the asylum".
Last edited by Pugger on 02 Feb 2022 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Yoop wrote:
02 Feb 2022 08:55
70% of the players are of a minority race, less then 5% are HC's
Are both of those a concern?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Half Empty wrote:
02 Feb 2022 09:09
Yoop wrote:
02 Feb 2022 08:55
70% of the players are of a minority race, less then 5% are HC's
Are both of those a concern?
I should be flogged for speaking my mind :hail: :hail:
Last edited by Yoop on 02 Feb 2022 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

I was trying to avoid the political part and didn't state the obvious, but I'll put it out there (mods feel free to delete or move) - isn't it unfair to have 70% majority of minority players? Before answering quickly ("because they're better players"), think about the ramifications of that stance.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Half Empty wrote:
02 Feb 2022 09:53
I was trying to avoid the political part and didn't state the obvious, but I'll put it out there (mods feel free to delete or move) - isn't it unfair to have 70% majority of minority players? Before answering quickly ("because they're better players"), think about the ramifications of that stance.
tough question, we called Jordy Nelson the great White hope, or something to that affect, are you insinuating that we now discriminate against Whitey? :thwap: :lol:
Last edited by Yoop on 02 Feb 2022 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Half Empty wrote:
02 Feb 2022 09:53
I was actually waiting for this to come up. :aok:

The 2020 national census revealed African-Americans make up roughly 12% of the overall US population. A 2020 study of the NFL showed that same national population group comprised over 57% of NFL players (not the 70% stated earlier).

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (50.12 KiB) Viewed 512 times

Understanding that: if the league is going to impose a racial mandate on minority coach hiring* regardless of talent or success, then shouldn't that same mandate be placed upon the team composition (players), as well? Isn't that within the same vein of being "fair" or "anti-discriminatory"?

*I think that is where this is eventually headed

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

:thwap:
Last edited by Yoop on 02 Feb 2022 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

forgive me everyone for partaking in this controversial topic, as most can tell I'am not able to control myself concerning the racial divide in our country, I apologize if I've offended anyone :mrgreen:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
02 Feb 2022 09:06
Raptorman wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Steve Wyche
@wyche89

complete BS.

Yes, how is this proven without someone admitting they hired one man over the other because of race?

The Rhodes situation was different. Rhodes problem was he had no control over his team. Even if he got upset he would not enforce discipline on or off the field. He let "the inmates run the asylum".
obviously NO ONE would ever admit that, but perception of guilt seems pretty clear, Flores, or any African American candidate would be stupid to do this unless there was a strong case, If Flores losses the chance of his ever coaching in the NFL again are slim.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

That an NFL owner was advocating tanking with financial incentive is a huge problem for the NFL, given the amount of public $$$ they are on the take for, from tax breaks to free stadiums.

This is going to be a rough offseason(s) for the NFL.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Waldo wrote:
02 Feb 2022 12:53
That an NFL owner was advocating tanking with financial incentive is a huge problem for the NFL, given the amount of public $$$ they are on the take for, from tax breaks to free stadiums.

This is going to be a rough offseason(s) for the NFL.
2 now, it sounds like. Hugh Jackson saying he was paid for losses as Browns HC.
RIP JustJeff

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

NVM this offseason is pretty much make or break for the NFL with streaming for many. Last time the NFL punted streaming forward to reup with DirecTV we decided that was it, the last time. We're ditching DirctTV soon, so are many, there's just no reason to pay for something like that anymore. We'll probably get whatever streaming service carries games, but if that doesn't happen, so be it, no more watching the NFL.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I hope the streaming costs of out of market live games goes down this year.

You would have to think it would. NFL Gamepass already allows you to watch the game after it ends so if the price is too costly, I will just once again forgo DirecTV and just use Gamepass. I hate missing games live but the cost of $400 or more for a season just isn't worth it to me.

And I am a die hard fan. Just imagine the more casual fans.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.