Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

More on Corey Davis here: From The Athletic

" If Davis isn’t traded to the Packers and the Jets don’t sign Beckham, Davis will likely stick around. Saleh is high on him, and Downing coached him in Tennessee, too. He’s a valuable run blocker, a leader and, when healthy, a quality wide receiver.

How he fits into an offense that just added Allen Lazard — arguably a better version of Davis — and Mecole Hardman to Garrett Wilson and Denzel Mims is less clear, but the Jets like him enough that it wouldn’t be the worst idea to try to make it work."
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
30 Mar 2023 12:01

Why would it be dead cap space if Corey is playing for the Packers in 2024 ?

And Ken Ingalls can kiss my ample ass - I'm so sick and tired of his sky- is- falling rhetoric on the cap. What a putz
Oh you mean keep him! That would be better, certainly.

And I agree about ingalls pessimistic attitude, but the numbers are the numbers. We really compromised our cap position for multiple years to keep the window open

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I wouldn't be so quick to say that Lazard is a better version of Corey Davis either. Lazard isn't that good and he had Rodgers throwing to him for the last 4 years.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Mar 2023 11:55
BSA wrote:
30 Mar 2023 11:45
YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Mar 2023 11:20
I don't want Corey Davis only because we can't afford him. I'd just so much rather spend Corey Davis money on a safety or DT. But if they're working on a reduced price, his skillset is a nice addition to the room,
If GB structures a revised deal and spreads it out, I think you're looking at a $2-3M cap hit in 2023. Its a challenge to find a viable vet WR for that price so including him in the trade makes sense. OTC valuation on him was $4.8M for 2022. Rodgers was talking Davis up recently, I wasn't sure if that was him goosing the trade value or what.

https://overthecap.com/player/corey-davis/5589
I don’t want to trade for dead cap space in 2024. Ken Ingalls recently posted that we’re already over the 2024 cap without even considering that Gary will be on the team. It’s time to stop taking on money and “spreading it out.”
YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Mar 2023 12:50
BSA wrote:

And Ken Ingalls can kiss my ample ass - I'm so sick and tired of his sky- is- falling rhetoric on the cap. What a putz
Oh you mean keep him! That would be better, certainly.

And I agree about ingalls pessimistic attitude, but the numbers are the numbers. We really compromised our cap position for multiple years to keep the window open
That is only because Aaron Rodgers is still on the books.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BSA wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Mar 2023 11:55
I don’t want to trade for dead cap space in 2024. Ken Ingalls recently posted that we’re already over the 2024 cap without even considering that Gary will be on the team. It’s time to stop taking on money and “spreading it out.”

You're acting like we wouldnt be adding void years. :lol:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
30 Mar 2023 14:30
You're acting like we wouldn't be adding void years.
GB probably will.
For me ? I'm acting like a Packer fan who doesn't give a rats ass about 2 million...in 2025.
I don't have the bandwidth to worry about 0.73 % of the Packers future cap when we're trying to give the new QB a vet WR to work with in September. Short sighted ? Could be.

The other guy I was looking at was Robbie Chosen Anderson. He's a FA and the Packers had looked into him in previous seasons.
He'd be a good fit, but I imagine he would get offered more on the open market than a restructured C. Davis deal

https://overthecap.com/player/chosen-anderson/5208
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
30 Mar 2023 15:11
GB probably will.
For me ? I'm acting like a Packer fan who doesn't give a rats ass about 2 million...in 2025.
I don't have the bandwidth to worry about 0.73 % of the Packers future cap when we're trying to give the new QB a vet WR to work with in September. Short sighted ? Could be.

The other guy I was looking at was Robbie Chosen Anderson. He's a FA and the Packers had looked into him in previous seasons.
He'd be a good fit, but I imagine he would get offered more on the open market than a restructured C. Davis deal
I guess my thing is that the Packers don't have a talent problem at WR right now, and probably less so after the draft. They have an experience and leadership problem. If you listen to MLF talk about the need to add a vet to the room, he literally specifies that it helps to have someone model behavior as far as how to play/practice/behave like a pro.

I'm not concerned about how much our vet WR adds to the receiving stats. Obviously you want someone who plays a useful role. But I'm not trying to add a starter quality player to a group that has starter talent. What I want is someone who knows how to work hard and advance the nuances of the game. Someone that is great to have in the film room and on the practice field. This is not a coaching thing--this is modeling behavior. Coaches coach. Players play and practice and study. Seeing someone do it the right way--heck, competing with someone doing it the right way, has a trickle down positive effect on the team.

That's what MLF pointed out. That's what I want. Corey Davis, to me, is simply not that guy. He's not. He blocks his little tail off and that's well and good, but he's an underachiever who never lived up to his physical talent and who never learned the details and nuances of route running. How is he going to be a model for the young guys to learn from? How is he going to show them the way? he doesn't know it.

For similar money I would rather have Jarvis Landry. I would probably even rather have Randall Cobb. I want someone who knows the game inside and out and who has always given it his all and who understands the route concepts and how to vary your speed and how to develop different release packages based on their opponents. And I think if you listen to the Packers' front office, their motivations for having veterans is similar. It's about leadership and experience.

Corey Davis has some experience, but he doesn't feel like the right kind of player. I want someone with an unending competitive edge to push these guys to be their best. Not another guy who can catch some passes and block some people. We can get that in the 4th round of the draft.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Maybe we can bring back little hammy Watkins amirite
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Mar 2023 15:47
BSA wrote:
30 Mar 2023 15:11
GB probably will.

I guess my thing is that the Packers don't have a talent problem at WR right now, and probably less so after the draft. They have an experience and leadership problem. If you listen to MLF talk about the need to add a vet to the room, he literally specifies that it helps to have someone model behavior as far as how to play/practice/behave like a pro.

I'm not concerned about how much our vet WR adds to the receiving stats. Obviously you want someone who plays a useful role. But I'm not trying to add a starter quality player to a group that has starter talent. What I want is someone who knows how to work hard and advance the nuances of the game. Someone that is great to have in the film room and on the practice field. This is not a coaching thing--this is modeling behavior. Coaches coach. Players play and practice and study. Seeing someone do it the right way--heck, competing with someone doing it the right way, has a trickle down positive effect on the team.

That's what MLF pointed out. That's what I want. Corey Davis, to me, is simply not that guy. He's not. He blocks his little tail off and that's well and good, but he's an underachiever who never lived up to his physical talent and who never learned the details and nuances of route running. How is he going to be a model for the young guys to learn from? How is he going to show them the way? he doesn't know it.

For similar money I would rather have Jarvis Landry. I would probably even rather have Randall Cobb. I want someone who knows the game inside and out and who has always given it his all and who understands the route concepts and how to vary your speed and how to develop different release packages based on their opponents. And I think if you listen to the Packers' front office, their motivations for having veterans is similar. It's about leadership and experience.

Corey Davis has some experience, but he doesn't feel like the right kind of player. I want someone with an unending competitive edge to push these guys to be their best. Not another guy who can catch some passes and block some people. We can get that in the 4th round of the draft.
Ahhh Man you will be shunned on this forum if Lafleur and Gute bring Randal back :rotf: I'am sure it was the reason we brought him back 2 years ago, team sports is a follow the leader thing, from JV on coaches have players focus and learn from the best players.

You know a lot about Davis, and I'll take your word for it, just that how he did with the Jets also exposes Wilson and the schemes of that offense as much as it does Davis ( maybe), but we do need a vet.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:Ahhh Man you will be shunned on this forum if Lafleur and Gute bring Randal back :rotf: I'am sure it was the reason we brought him back 2 years ago
When Cobb came back, Adams was already on the roster. The role model - the TOP role model - was already here for young guys to model themselves after. The only reason Cobb was brought back, in a trade mind you, was because Rodgers the GM demanded it.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Outside of a TE, maybe QB, not sure there is an FA I’d want to sign till after the draft.

Would love Cobb back if there is a need still.

Kind of want to just wing it at TE with 2 rookies.

Get a rookie WR, bring back Cobb.

Then I’d actually love Matt Ryan here for a year.

Was MVP when LaFleur was his QB coach. Think he could bring a lot to the meeting rooms and the locker rooms and maybe get us through a few games.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

BF004 wrote:
30 Mar 2023 18:44
Outside of a TE, maybe QB, not sure there is an FA I’d want to sign till after the draft.

Would love Cobb back if there is a need still.

Kind of want to just wing it at TE with 2 rookies.

Get a rookie WR, bring back Cobb.

Then I’d actually love Matt Ryan here for a year.

Was MVP when LaFleur was his QB coach. Think he could bring a lot to the meeting rooms and the locker rooms and maybe get us through a few games.
Matt Ryan would be a fantastic backup option for sure!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I also had that thought cross my mind on Matt Ryan. Not a guy good enough to be any threat to Love, and can show how a top QB who actually puts the work goes about business, plus the familiarity with LaFleur. If he's willing to accept that role, I am for it.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If true, really hope we can bring that contract down a lot, and maybe extend it.

He did have 65 catches for 891 yards and 4 TDs his sophomore season, his only year with LaFleur as OC and play caller.

However I am all about surrounding Jordan Love with a lot of 1st round receivers. :lol:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
03 Apr 2023 15:45

If true, really hope we can bring that contract down a lot, and maybe extend it.

He did have 65 catches for 891 yards and 4 TDs his sophomore season, his only year with LaFleur as OC and play caller.

However I am all about surrounding Jordan Love with a lot of 1st round receivers. :lol:
Oh boy. That report has “expects” AND “sources.” Hardly any better reporting to be found. Hahahaha. Hahahaha.

But seriously, I don’t mind the guy coming over. If MLF can work with him, he could fit in as WR3 or so.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

'Found this a few days ago trying to get a sense of him, a breakdown of WR Corey Davis at the conclusion of his time with TEN:
https://www.ganggreennation.com/2021/3/ ... orey-davis

He brings some stuff to the WR room that we can use, doubt he'll be the homerun that Sul or Campbell were for us (although with far better QB play, who knows?) but could give us some solid production right away.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Per ESPN’s Dan Graziano, most of the trade details “remains done” and the “belief is that both sides have worked on” the $58.3 million option bonus in Rodgers’ contract to make his salary fit into New York’s cap for the 2023 season.

The three-year, $150.8 million contract extension Rodgers signed with the Packers in March 2022 did build in a protection for both parties if either side wanted to move on. The option bonus must be picked up any time between now and the start of the 2023 regular season.

As things stand, the Jets only have $9.9 million in available cap space.

Per Paul Bretl of PackersWire.com, New York will only have to absorb $15.79 million against the cap if it acquires Rodgers. But the option bonus means the team would be paying him close to $60 million in cash just for the 2023 season.
https://wisportsheroics.com/aaron-rodge ... s-packers/

Perhaps part of the "contract negotiation" is for the Jets to absorb the Rodgers contract and the Packers to absorb the Davis contract so Rodgers being a Jet can actually happen.

The Jets save $10,500,000 if Davis is not on their books. The Packers may have interest in a trade and extension of Davis as a small kicker to get the deal done.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Davis on the field is a nice replacement for Lazard.

His contract WILL be changed, but not as much as I'd like, and I doubt he'll offer any kind of leadership the way Cobb and to an extent Lazard did to our younger guys. But hey, we'll see.

If he comes, I'll gladly be wrong if we learn all sorts of cool things about his football character.
Matt LaFleur wrote: We’re going to have to add some bodies to that room; what do we got, like five guys on the roster right now?

I think some veteran leadership would be nice. Although I think guys like Allen and Randall did such a great job last year kind of taking those guys under their wing and showing them the ropes and the expectations and the practice habits that you need to have to go out there and play at a high level. But there’s going to be a lot of growth with those two guys, certainly Romeo and Christian. And then you’ve got Samori Toure and we’ve got a small glimpse of Bo Melton last year.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I do think I like Corey Davis probably more than most. I think his career thus far has been somewhat sabotaged by (mediocre to bad) QB play coupled with playing second fiddle to AJ Brown when he actually had competent Tannehill throwing the ball. I think he's got more in him than what he's shown.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
03 Apr 2023 16:31
I do think I like Corey Davis probably more than most. I think his career thus far has been somewhat sabotaged by (mediocre to bad) QB play coupled with playing second fiddle to AJ Brown when he actually had competent Tannehill throwing the ball. I think he's got more in him than what he's shown.
I think Corey Davis is a fine roster-worthy player who should be a starter in the league.

His contract needs adjusting and I doubt that will happen to the extent I’d like. And I question if he has any value to add off the field, from the perspective MLF outlined.

But yeah, as a player, he should be a useful guy to catch some passes and block some guys.

Do we extend him? Does he accept a pay cut? Is he a 1-year rental?