Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Of course, maybe it's just the Browns because Amari Cooper immediately popped in my head.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
19 Mar 2024 15:15
BF004 wrote:
19 Mar 2024 14:31
Ya let’s just keep drafting WR’s.

I would be really keen to see an analysis from someone with a careful eye to look at these WR contracts and see how inflated they are due to 1st-round draft status. Maybe not drafting a WR in Round 1 has been intentional on the Packers part. Chess, not checkers. If any of our receivers becomes worthy of a long-term extension, there is no 5th-year option to mess with, tons of incentive for player to accept a below market deal earlier to secure guaranteed money. Interesting concept, if nothing else.
I don’t think that matters. Look at MVS and Lazard. They’re just below average WRs but still got paid. Teams are just making bad deals left and right for WR2s.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Lazard isn’t even WR2 anymore. Jets signed Mike Williams to 1 yr $15M contract.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Average WR in the NFL is a high middle third #3, just saying.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

It is bizarre. Espeically because of how many WRs come to the NFL draft year after year that the free agent market for average WRs is just so aburdly high.

There are just so many other positions I think makes sense to put dollars to other than WR. I hate spending on average period but average WR especially makes no sense due to how plentiful they are to draft.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

I wish Caleb Williams wasn't going to the Bears. He looks the part to me, like he does to many. I am sure he will have some ups and downs his first year in the NFL. He more than likely will get himself into trouble underestimating the increased athleticism in the league, throwing some picks and maybe getting drilled and fumbling trying to make a play he could make in college, but, my guess is he will figure it out. He has extreme arm talent and some of the throws he is able to make scrambling left or right remind me of A. Rodgers. Accuracy and zip on the ball while moving he sometimes makes look easy.
He is going to make the NFC north alot more interesting. :munch:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

MY_TAKE wrote:
20 Mar 2024 05:36
I wish Caleb Williams wasn't going to the Bears. He looks the part to me, like he does to many. I am sure he will have some ups and downs his first year in the NFL. He more than likely will get himself into trouble underestimating the increased athleticism in the league, throwing some picks and maybe getting drilled and fumbling trying to make a play he could make in college, but, my guess is he will figure it out. He has extreme arm talent and some of the throws he is able to make scrambling left or right remind me of A. Rodgers. Accuracy and zip on the ball while moving he sometimes makes look easy.
He is going to make the NFC north alot more interesting. :munch:
Yeah he looks like a young Aaron Rodgers to me, too. And Rodgers didn't have any real problems lighting up the Bears at Soldier Field so I don't buy the claims that he will struggle in poor weather, not more than anyone else does. I take some comfort in knowing he has an even bigger ego than Rodgers, which is hard to fathom, so I can see him being his own worst enemy, but I think he will finally break the curse for them at QB.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

They will screw him up.

They’ll underachieve, fire Eberflus, maybe Poles, and screw up their next hire too.

They have 4 draft picks this year, no idea how that is even possible after that Carolina trade, and one is a QB. They have 3 picks to fill like 10 gaping holes.

Half our fan base is freaking out cause we don’t have a back up swing tackle and 11 picks to help fill it, they need an army of new starters and depth. This lack of cheap talent also gunna destroy them from within the next 2-4 years.

Got a front office making a lot of terrible short term decisions this year to try to get to 7 wins to save their jobs, don’t think they’ll get there.

So yep, not worried at all.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
19 Mar 2024 20:32
It is bizarre. Espeically because of how many WRs come to the NFL draft year after year that the free agent market for average WRs is just so aburdly high.

There are just so many other positions I think makes sense to put dollars to other than WR. I hate spending on average period but average WR especially makes no sense due to how plentiful they are to draft.
besides QB what position would that be? 80% of drafted WR never even come close to average, thats why average make 10 mil. and they are one of the MUST HAVE positions, you can't win without them.

What are the premium positions in the NFL?
There are five premium positions in the NFL: QB, pass-catcher, OT, pass-rusher, CB.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
20 Mar 2024 07:15
They will screw him up.

They’ll underachieve, fire Eberflus, maybe Poles, and screw up their next hire too.

They have 4 draft picks this year, no idea how that is even possible after that Carolina trade, and one is a QB. They have 3 picks to fill like 10 gaping holes.

Half our fan base is freaking out cause we don’t have a back up swing tackle and 11 picks to help fill it, they need an army of new starters and depth. This lack of cheap talent also gunna destroy them from within the next 2-4 years.

Got a front office making a lot of terrible short term decisions this year to try to get to 7 wins to save their jobs, don’t think they’ll get there.

Admittedly, though, many of the holes/depth pieces (outside of QB) are not difficult fills. They get Williams this year, he and the team likely struggle and they get high draft position again next year, and boom. The 2-year rebuild is looking pretty good at that point.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
20 Mar 2024 07:21
BF004 wrote:
They will screw him up.

Admittedly, though, many of the holes/depth pieces (outside of QB) are not difficult fills. They get Williams this year, he and the team likely struggle and they get high draft position again next year, and boom. The 2-year rebuild is looking pretty good at that point.
The Bears are doing what they should be doing, securing there future QB, Poles was just hired a year ago, he's not going any where soon, Eberflus is a defensive coach.

the Bears MO is run the ball and play stout defense, it's been who they are for many years, both Eberflus and Poles just watched that flounder with a RO Fields at the helm, they are not going to stick with the old plans.

they just brought in another top tier receiver, and now will add a pocket passing QB, which if it goes well will drastically change that offense.

IMHO the north now has 3 teams capable of winning this division, we know Detroits for real, and that we are as well, I sure wont be looking at Chicago as a easy win any more.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
20 Mar 2024 07:37
APB wrote:
BF004 wrote:
They will screw him up.

The Bears are doing what they should be doing, securing there future QB, Poles was just hired a year ago, he's not going any where soon, Eberflus is a defensive coach.

the Bears MO is run the ball and play stout defense, it's been who they are for many years, both Eberflus and Poles just watched that flounder with a RO Fields at the helm, they are not going to stick with the old plans.

they just brought in another top tier receiver, and now will add a pocket passing QB, which if it goes well will drastically change that offense.

IMHO the north now has 3 teams capable of winning this division, we know Detroits for real, and that we are as well, I sure wont be looking at Chicago as a easy win any more.
I am misunderstanding you or did you just counter-argue your own argument within the very same post? :dunno:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
20 Mar 2024 07:42
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

I am misunderstanding you or did you just counter-argue your own argument within the very same post? :dunno:
was agreeing with you, and posing caution with wishful thinking of 004 :idn:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I had been thinking a bunch about how the Vikings trading for Justin Herbert could make a lot of sense, possibly, for both teams.

Jim Harbuagh could go get his college QB, Chargers kind of in cap hell and already sitting on a top 3 QB contract.

Vikings do got the WR's and cap room to make this make sense, this would certainly get them ready to compete ASAP.

Just kind of in two different spots, a cheap QB could make more sense for the Chargers, Vikings, needing a QB either way, could probably benefit more from a ready to play QB.

However, Chargers would have -$89 million cap hit in 2024 with a pre-June 1st trade. Vikings surely wouldn't want to wait till after then, Chargers would surely want both those Viking's first rounders this year. But post June 1st would be 6 million in '24 cap savings for Chargers, but then, a $95 million dollars in dead cap for 2025.

So yeah, just can't happen.

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

BF004 wrote:
20 Mar 2024 09:03
I had been thinking a bunch about how the Vikings trading for Justin Herbert could make a lot of sense, possibly, for both teams.
Read: "I've been thinking about how my big dynasty acquisition from last season can stay relevant after his team sucked all the juice out of the passing game..."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

mnkcarp wrote:
20 Mar 2024 09:34
BF004 wrote:
20 Mar 2024 09:03
Read: "I've been thinking about how my big dynasty acquisition from last season can stay relevant after his team sucked all the juice out of the passing game..."
:lol:

Yeah, if he’s in the Vikings, you can have him for a second.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Just get rid of kicking already if this is the crap they are going to come up with.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
20 Mar 2024 14:56
Just get rid of kicking already if this is the crap they are going to come up with.
I kind of like it. Also, to eliminate the kick-off from football is very, very wrong.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
20 Mar 2024 15:10
paco wrote:
20 Mar 2024 14:56
I kind of like it. Also, to eliminate the kick-off from football is very, very wrong.
Do we think a group of players, coaches, and officials who still can't figure out what a catch is, or place a ball correctly, are going to figure out this convoluted mess?

I don't want to get rid of kicking either. But I don't think this is a step in the right direction. Its over complicated. But Keisean is good with it!
RIP JustJeff

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

BF004 wrote:
They will screw him up.

If Caleb Williams ends up living up to expectations for the Bears we will have to worry about them for the next 15 years. They don't have to turn it around in a single offseason.
Yoop wrote:
The Bears might end up being good some years down the road but I don't expect them to be a legit contender for the division in 2024.
Labrev wrote:
19 Mar 2024 08:49
I would not have touched Chase Young with a 10-foot pole, nor would I ever in the future unless he totally turns things around.

He got traded to a good defense that made it to the SuperBowl and was set to hit the open market at the end of the season, so he had every imaginable reason to play hard, yet not only was he underwhelming, there are countless instances of him showing terrible effort on the field and taking plays off... even in the SuperBowl!! :messedup:

If you cannot bring yourself to play hard in that circumstance, you are a hopeless case, IMO.
On top of all that Young is set to have neck surgery immediately after signing that contract. That's another huge red flag.