Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
03 Feb 2022 08:21
Yoop wrote:
03 Feb 2022 08:18
you can't tell me there weren't more qualified African American coaches when we hired Mike Sherman, or even Mike McCarthy, or even Matt Lafluer.

Rhodes was our response to the Rooney Rule, why that didn't work out is debatable.
I disagree with every single word you wrote. Very much.
so whats new, you disagree with a lot of stuff I post

I also would never ever agree with a owner tanking for draft picks, If I was a season ticket owner I'd sell my tickets

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
03 Feb 2022 08:25
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:
you can't tell me there weren't more qualified African American coaches when we hired Mike Sherman, or even Mike McCarthy, or even Matt Lafluer.

Rhodes was our response to the Rooney Rule, why that didn't work out is debatable.

I also would never ever agree with a owner tanking for draft picks, If I was a season ticket owner I'd sell my tickets
What Rhodes, Sherman, and McCarthy had in common is that all had previously worked for the Packers before being hired as HC. For some reason, that was an important characteristic that Harlan/Wolf/Thompson looked for during those hiring cycles.

The Rooney Rule was established in 2003. Rhodes was hired in 1999.

That is how wrong you are.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
03 Feb 2022 08:34
Yoop wrote:
03 Feb 2022 08:25
NCF wrote:

What Rhodes, Sherman, and McCarthy had in common is that all had previously worked for the Packers before being hired as HC. For some reason, that was an important characteristic that Harlan/Wolf/Thompson looked for during those hiring cycles.

The Rooney Rule was established in 2003. Rhodes was hired in 1999.

That is how wrong you are.
thanks for setting me straight on the time frame of the Rooney rule, I will adjust my opinion some, Harlan and Wolf may have thought Rhodes was the best man for the job.

through out most of Rhodes lone season of 8-8 Ron Wolf was addiment Rhodes would be back for the 2nd of his 4 year contract, then we lost the last two games and he was fired, Rhodes complaint was there had been a talent decline and that was the reason for the 8-8 season, hard to argue with that as Sherman went 9-7 his first season, either way most coaches are given more then just one year unless outside issues where a problem, to my knowledge there where none, later Wolf was asked why such a short stay, Wolf said he was done discussing Ray Rhodes, guess that settled that :rotf:
Last edited by Yoop on 03 Feb 2022 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

A little coaching trivia that I certainly did not know about Zac Taylor.
Taylor has more than put together a campaign worthy of a Coach of the Year award. His wife, Sarah Sherman, has been his biggest supporter since day one. She knows a little something about coaching at the highest level, too. Her father, Mike Sherman, was an NFL head coach for six years.
https://fanbuzz.com/nfl/zac-taylor-wife/

Read More. Post Less.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Are you sure? What about the highlighted beginning?

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

I've never really understood the argument that because 70% (or whatever %) of players are African-American, that a higher percentage of coaches need to be African-American. Playing and coaching in the NFL are two very, very different skill sets. And many professional athletes are incredibly straitened personalities with little to no abilities - intellectual or physical -- outside of their particular athletic skill set.

And many of the white coaches did play college ball somewhere, so it is not as if random white dudes are getting the jobs vis-a-vis black NFLers. In fact one could argue that NOT making it to the NFL actually speeds up the coaching learning/growth curve, as young guys in their 20s learn how to be coaches and move up the coaching ranks. Structural racism is of course very real, but it is not an explanation for everything.

Also, Hue Jackson sucks. :munch:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
03 Feb 2022 08:01
I will without question say the absolute worst stadium I have ever been to is FedEx Field. And I thought this before I had biases of the horrible things that have happened there since 2016.
Absolutely agree. There are so many limited view seats it's pathetic. Last time I was there I had lower level seats that were about 15 rows back from the beginning of the upper level start point overhang. Any ball that ascended more than 15 ft or so above field level went out of view. There was also a 4'x4' vertical structural support that blocked one end zone.

I paid $200 for those seats. The lower level seats closer to the bowl and clear of the overhead obstruction were closer to $400 per ticket. Of course, this was 10 or so years ago when they were still somewhat relevant. Still ridiculous.

Word to future FedEx Field attendees: get upper level seats and hope for good weather.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
03 Feb 2022 08:04
The Commanders, Patriots and 49ers are the only team names with more than 2 syllables. At least you can say "Pats" and "9ers"
:buccaneers:

And if we're being technical the Raaaaaaiiiiiiiiders also have like 4 syllables.

:mrgreen:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:
03 Feb 2022 07:05
Yoop wrote:
02 Feb 2022 07:36
I admit the Packers are a shinning example of league discrimination...
The Packers only off-season staff firing has been Mo Drayton. He's black. Packers are racist organization.

<sigh>

I mean, seriously. That's how dumbed down some of these arguments seem to be. Complex circumstances whittled down to overly simplistic assumptions. It's exhausting just reading some of it.
seriously the Packers resemble most NFL teams, we have only had two minority HC's, one African America, and one Native American, and Rhodes was the last 30 plus years ago, you can't tell me there weren't more qualified African American coaches when we hired Mike Sherman, or even Mike McCarthy, or even Matt Lafluer.

shinning example was a poor choice of wording on my part.
There is something I absolutely don't "get" about you.

On any given week, you'll argue until you're blue in the face about Lombardi and the Packers organization and their compassion for the black players they took in. You'll highlight how they helped black players with housing, haircuts and whatnot all while the league at large showed wide resistance to integrate fully. You can't sing the team's accolades loud enough.

Now you're here insisting the Packers are a historically racial biased organization.

It's the same with a lot of your positions.

Rodgers is either tirelessly defended or relentlessly vilified depending on what week it is.

The Packers have riches on offense one week and then are barren for talent the next.

I mean, there doesn't seem to be any consistency whatsoever in many of your positions. This team racism charge is just the latest in a long line of your flip-flops. Hell, you could make strong arguments on any given week just by quoting yourself from the previous week.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

They are saying on FS1 that there is a report that Harbaugh is staying at Michigan. I think the fact the Queens haven't announced their HC yet means they were going with the Rams OC the whole time.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

wallyuwl wrote:
03 Feb 2022 13:06
They are saying on FS1 that there is a report that Harbaugh is staying at Michigan. I think the fact the Queens haven't announced their HC yet means they were going with the Rams OC the whole time.
There's stuff posted about this in the Black Monday thread. Harbaugh interviewed but seriously Harbaugh'd it up. Vikings can't announce O'Connell yet because the Rams are still playing. But yes, all reports are that direction. I think they would have gone Harbaugh had he not been such an idiot.

The HC of a school like Michigan doesn't take a 9 hour interview with an NFL team on National Signing Day unless he's expecting to get the job.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
03 Feb 2022 10:50
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:
03 Feb 2022 07:05

The Packers only off-season staff firing has been Mo Drayton. He's black. Packers are racist organization.

<sigh>

I mean, seriously. That's how dumbed down some of these arguments seem to be. Complex circumstances whittled down to overly simplistic assumptions. It's exhausting just reading some of it.
seriously the Packers resemble most NFL teams, we have only had two minority HC's, one African America, and one Native American, and Rhodes was the last 30 plus years ago, you can't tell me there weren't more qualified African American coaches when we hired Mike Sherman, or even Mike McCarthy, or even Matt Lafluer.

shinning example was a poor choice of wording on my part.
There is something I absolutely don't "get" about you.

On any given week, you'll argue until you're blue in the face about Lombardi and the Packers organization and their compassion for the black players they took in. You'll highlight how they helped black players with housing, haircuts and whatnot all while the league at large showed wide resistance to integrate fully. You can't sing the team's accolades loud enough.

Now you're here insisting the Packers are a historically racial biased organization.

It's the same with a lot of your positions.

Rodgers is either tirelessly defended or relentlessly vilified depending on what week it is.

The Packers have riches on offense one week and then are barren for talent the next.

I mean, there doesn't seem to be any consistency whatsoever in many of your positions. This team racism charge is just the latest in a long line of your flip-flops. Hell, you could make strong arguments on any given week just by quoting yourself from the previous week.
quote APB
You'll highlight how they helped black players with housing, haircuts and whatnot all while the league at large showed wide resistance to integrate fully. You can't sing the team's accolades loud enough.

where do you come up with this? you like to espounge stuff to make your point, I also didn't say the Packer fo is necessarily racist, simply they are like most of the rest of the NFL, it's funny when a very good DC who is African American is fired after only one season of a 4 year contract simply because his team didn't make the POs for the first time in 6 years, and Sherman didn't do much better but was allowed to stay.

as circumstances change so does my understanding of the situation, LOmbardei era was 50 years ago, he supported integration, and helping minority's, so did the country, civil rights where established in the mid 60's, why wouldn't I support that, for the last 10 years race relations in this country have reverted back to the 50's, there is no civility

I supported Rodgers when he was sold into this team, and still do to the point we should have given him a better stable of receivers, I mean why have a QB like him if all your gonna do for him is draft Devonte Adams 7 years ago, thats stupid.

But we are not dealing with the same player he was 5 years ago, the talent is still there, but the person I came to know is not, he's a self centered me first non vaxxed jerk, and you already know how I feel about people that wont take the needle.

I enjoyed having another HOF QB the last 14 or how ever many years Rodgers has started, but I'am fine now with moving on, time for some changes anyway.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
03 Feb 2022 13:10
wallyuwl wrote:
03 Feb 2022 13:06
There's stuff posted about this in the Black Monday thread. Harbaugh interviewed but seriously Harbaugh'd it up. Vikings can't announce O'Connell yet because the Rams are still playing. But yes, all reports are that direction. I think they would have gone Harbaugh had he not been such an idiot.

The HC of a school like Michigan doesn't take a 9 hour interview with an NFL team on National Signing Day unless he's expecting to get the job.
He must have said something to turn off the Vikes, possibly he caught wind they wherer interested in O;Connell and voiced his dis pleasure of them even thinking of someone else :lol:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Should have just left it Washington Football Team. I actually kind of liked that.

https://thefederalist.com/2022/02/03/th ... -redskins/

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Nope, football traces it's etymology back to 15th century England who was a big player in colonialism and slavery.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Random interesting video of the day.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

wallyuwl wrote:
03 Feb 2022 14:27
Should have just left it Washington Football Team. I actually kind of liked that.

https://thefederalist.com/2022/02/03/th ... -redskins/
That author... :roll:
In fact, when I asked my 4-year-old niece what she thought of the name change, her eyes swelled with tears as she lifted her chubby little fist into the sky in a rage so palpable, it could start a revolution: “I can’t take any more of this BIPOC brutalization!”
:lol: :lol: :lol:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
03 Feb 2022 16:17
In fact, when I asked my 4-year-old niece what she thought of the name change, her eyes swelled with tears as she lifted her chubby little fist into the sky in a rage so palpable, it could start a revolution: “I can’t take any more of this BIPOC brutalization!”
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought it was kind of a funny article. About half and half of Babylon Bee style satire, and truth. The truth part is, well, truth, and should have been thought about. But even though it is football, it is still Washington DC so nothing makes sense or is thought out or not worse after it is "fixed." The part about Warren was :lol: though.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Some of the complaints already being walked back: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... situation/

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I only got to se him play a couple times this year, but his energy and hustle just jumps out, here he is running with the fastest and nudging ahead to take the coveted fastest man moniker

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/micah-pars ... 07877.html