Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
11 Feb 2023 08:46
Drj820 wrote:
10 Feb 2023 10:15
Heinecke sucks. I don’t think there would be much clamoring for him. If Love sucks to the level that would demand that, we got much bigger problems.
I actually think Heinicke would be a decent choice for a back-up QB. Experience, some moxie, can come in and get you out of a game, if needed. I would not pay him a "compete for starter" contract, but if it's a cheap deal for true back-up, we could do a lot worse.
With those caveats, I’d also be onboard, the contract amount being the key thing.

And don’t get me wrong about my earlier comments. I think he’d be a good dude to have on the roster in case of injury and also to help Love on the sideline. I just wonder if he and the fan base would be satisfied in that role should Love initially struggle.

Side note: I don’t need to read another “if he sucks we have bigger problems” response. That’s not what I’m alluding to. I’m wary of a fan base that won’t even give him the opportunity to “suck” because he had the gall to replace Rodgers.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
11 Feb 2023 08:40
APB wrote:
10 Feb 2023 10:05
BF004 wrote:
10 Feb 2023 07:06
I think he’s exactly the level of quality you’d want.

More than good enough to win you a few games over a stretch. And zero threat to a guy like Jordan.

Who are we even referencing that he overtook?

Dwayne Haskins or Carson Wentz? Both?

If Jordan Love isn’t better than either of those guys, we have much much bigger problems.
I'm saying if Love isn't good right out the gate, you know there will be a significant portion of the fanbase, the same ones who held Favre's departure against Rodgers, clamoring for Heinicke and/or calling for heads to roll. Love may take some time to get into a groove. If someone like Heinicke is there waiting in the wings, it could complicate things and he may not get that time.

That's all I'm saying.
And it was embarrassing the way some fans treated Rodgers in 2008. Favre was the one who instigated his departure. Had he not tearfully "retired" he would have been our starter in 2008 - unless of course if Rodgers beat him out in TC. I wonder if Brett could see the improvement in Rodgers and wanted no part in being his understudy and that was the real reason for that crazy offseason? Is Aaron feeling the same about Love? I will say from all reports Rodgers never treated Love like Brett did towards Aaron the first coupe of years. IMO this says a lot about the character of Rodgers and why I hold him in high esteem even if he is a little eccentric. ;)
Rodgers has been a saint compared to Favre those last few years, he was threatening retirement every season, they say absence makes the heart grow fonder, time heals old wounds, Now Rodgers is getting the angst from fans, 5 or so years after he retires fans will swoon him just like they do now with Favre.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
11 Feb 2023 08:45
Yoop wrote:
10 Feb 2023 23:39
APB wrote:
10 Feb 2023 10:05

I'm saying if Love isn't good right out the gate, you know there will be a significant portion of the fanbase, the same ones who held Favre's departure against Rodgers, clamoring for Heinicke and/or calling for heads to roll. Love may take some time to get into a groove. If someone like Heinicke is there waiting in the wings, it could complicate things and he may not get that time.

That's all I'm saying.
If Love can't be great, or at least better then Rodgers was last year we'll know why Lafleur didn't sit Rodgers with his thumb, and if Love stumbles and bumbles, then we probably should have kept Rodgers and traded Love.

there are a portion of fans who still think Rodgers is the best QB for 2023, just like there was a portion of fans that thought Favre was the best choice in 08, and he was, my main concern is winning next season, just as it was in 08.

odds that LOve is anything close to a HOF QB got to be huge, we struck gold with Rodgers, only us and the niners ever had 2 first ballot HOFamers back to back, I wont hold my breath for a triple repeat.
We don't need another HOF QB to be successful. A better than average QB can get the job done. The question is is Love average or better? Only the staff and his teammates have an idea. We will all find out in a few weeks if Rodgers is traded or not. If AR returns Love isn't ready yet and/or may never be.
average QB's Pugger are not good enough, without a better then average QB and some good receivers the whole rest of the team has to be very good, which is harder to accomplish then simply have a great QB and receivers, if there is one obvious thing imho thats it.

our problems winning big games is that our defense and ST's units have made it too hard for the offense to carry them, it's never been the other way around, even as the defense has improved the decline at WR, and a aging Rodgers couldn't over come the much better defenses we've faced, problem is QB's get the glory if we win a the blame when we lose.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I, for one, don't feel much differently about Favre then than now.

Thanks for the memories, but time to move on. He was not going to win us another chip, even if he had won one for NYJ or MIN (he didn't though, because he choked yet again and MIN was no more able to overcome it than any of our teams).

More pertinently, it was way wiser to go with the talented young guy, who could potentially play for us for 12-15 years, even if we were not sure if he was good, than to go with the guy who had 3 years left just because he may have been the QB we win more games with next year.

I much rather take a chance on having a quality starting QB for 12-15 years than go with a known quantity for 1-3 just to win a few more games in the first year of those timespans.

On that note, see below!
Last edited by Labrev on 11 Feb 2023 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
11 Feb 2023 09:06

Thanks for the memories, but time to move on. He was not going to win us another chip, even if he had won one for NYJ or MIN (he didn't though, because he choked yet again and MIN was no more able to overcome it than any of our teams).

On that note, see below!
Favre at least won the nfc twice

Favre > Rodgers
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Feb 2023 09:11
Labrev wrote:

On that note, see below!

Favre > Rodgers
My statement is less about who is the better QB and more to say that we are in the exact same situation with Rodgers as we were with Favre, and moving on from Favre that year was objectively the correct move.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
11 Feb 2023 08:54
Side note: I don’t need to read another “if he sucks we have bigger problems” response. That’s not what I’m alluding to. I’m wary of a fan base that won’t even give him the opportunity to “suck” because he had the gall to replace Rodgers.
That won’t happen with Heinicke. I think you are overrating him.

Now a Baker Mayfield or a Derek Carr.

Not even arguing those guys are definitively better than Heinicke, but I could see a stupid portion of the fan base clamoring for them. Well maybe I would for Carr, I think he’s pretty good actually, just couldn’t think of a better example. :lol:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Idk if Love is awful then to me we quite literally have very big problems. We have no Rodgers, no other QB, we may or may not have given Love an extension…and we spent three years grooming the wrong guy when we could have either groomed someone else, or drafted more useful players.

The entire plan is amazing if Love steps in and can play. The entire process was a catastrophic waste and we are back at square one having wasted a ton of time, energy, draft capital on the wrong guy.

That said, even if Love is bad I wouldn’t want to then turn to heiecke and expect him to be worthy of the keys to the car either. He’s a good backup though, sure.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
11 Feb 2023 09:04
Pugger wrote:
Yoop wrote:
10 Feb 2023 23:39

If Love can't be great, or at least better then Rodgers was last year we'll know why Lafleur didn't sit Rodgers with his thumb, and if Love stumbles and bumbles, then we probably should have kept Rodgers and traded Love.

there are a portion of fans who still think Rodgers is the best QB for 2023, just like there was a portion of fans that thought Favre was the best choice in 08, and he was, my main concern is winning next season, just as it was in 08.

odds that LOve is anything close to a HOF QB got to be huge, we struck gold with Rodgers, only us and the niners ever had 2 first ballot HOFamers back to back, I wont hold my breath for a triple repeat.
We don't need another HOF QB to be successful. A better than average QB can get the job done. The question is is Love average or better? Only the staff and his teammates have an idea. We will all find out in a few weeks if Rodgers is traded or not. If AR returns Love isn't ready yet and/or may never be.
average QB's Pugger are not good enough, without a better then average QB and some good receivers the whole rest of the team has to be very good, which is harder to accomplish then simply have a great QB and receivers, if there is one obvious thing imho thats it.

our problems winning big games is that our defense and ST's units have made it too hard for the offense to carry them, it's never been the other way around, even as the defense has improved the decline at WR, and a aging Rodgers couldn't over come the much better defenses we've faced, problem is QB's get the glory if we win a the blame when we lose.
If you build a really good team around him you can win with an average QB. Just ask Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, Mark Rypien, Nick Foles, Doug Williams, Brad Johnson, Jim McMahon, Joe Flacco, Jim Plunkett, Jeff Hostetler and Trent Dilfer. Eli Manning wasn't all that great either except for 2 postseasons and this is why he'll eventually be in the HOF.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Feb 2023 09:21
Idk if Love is awful then to me we quite literally have very big problems. We have no Rodgers, no other QB, we may or may not have given Love an extension…and we spent three years grooming the wrong guy when we could have either groomed someone else, or drafted more useful players.

The entire plan is amazing if Love steps in and can play. The entire process was a catastrophic waste and we are back at square one having wasted a ton of time, energy, draft capital on the wrong guy.

That said, even if Love is bad I wouldn’t want to then turn to heiecke and expect him to be worthy of the keys to the car either. He’s a good backup though, sure.
If we trade Rodgers and go with Love I hope we find a better backup than Heinicke.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
Pugger wrote:
We don't need another HOF QB to be successful. A better than average QB can get the job done.
average QB's Pugger are not good enough,.
Well A) I believe you are agreeing with Pugger, at least you aren’t disagreeing with her premise. And B) looking at Brock Purdy, Jalen Hurts, Stafford, Garrapolo, Goff, Nick Foles, Matt Ryan.

The Super Bowl (+Brock Purdy) is littered with a above average QB’s, he’ll even a few average and below average. She is right you don’t need a HOF QB.

No one is saying we don’t want one. She is saying Jordan doesn’t have to be that, because he doesn’t.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Joe Namath, Broadway Joe…the hall of famer.,.Joe Namath..was…average???

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Feb 2023 09:39
I would say above average, but had he not won SB III as an AFL team, he would have had a hard time getting in the HOF in my opinion.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
11 Feb 2023 11:15
Drj820 wrote:
I would say above average, but had he not won SB III as an AFL team, he would have had a hard time getting in the HOF in my opinion.
That is a huge “if” haha. Calling his shot and achieving victory in New York absolutely affects whether he was average, above average, or great imo.

Also gotta look at the era…I believe Vince Lombardi called Namath “the best purer passes he had ever seen” or “an almost perfect passer”

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

BF004 wrote:
10 Feb 2023 07:33
Here’s an article that will likely make some weird portion of this forum all hot and heavy. :lol: Image

https://www.thatgameday.com/post/top-15 ... t-15-years
A bit surprised Khyrie Thornton was so high on that list. And a little surprised that Nick Perry was not on it.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Feb 2023 11:21
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
11 Feb 2023 11:15
Drj820 wrote:
That is a huge “if” haha. Calling his shot and achieving victory in New York absolutely affects whether he was average, above average, or great imo.

Also gotta look at the era…I believe Vince Lombardi called Namath “the best purer passes he had ever seen” or “an almost perfect passer”
His stats and highlights of SB III paint a different picture.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
11 Feb 2023 09:12
Drj820 wrote:
Labrev wrote:

On that note, see below!

Favre > Rodgers
My statement is less about who is the better QB and more to say that we are in the exact same situation with Rodgers as we were with Favre, and moving on from Favre that year was objectively the correct move.
no offense, where you 14 or 15 when Favre pulled his antics? not sure how I felt about much when I was that age, when I was 20 Lombardi moved on, like most Packers fans I hoped as you are now that continued success was right around the next bend, but that ended up to false hope for over 20 years, over half my life at that point lived on a hope and a prayer that we'd be a championship caliber team again. so excuse me if I don't agree with your point of view, Rodgers is still capable of great play, and we havn't seen enough of Love to say that.

Favre was never as good a QB as Rodgers, don't take my word for it, ask anyone with a football IQ

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Labrev wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Labrev wrote:

On that note, see below!

Favre > Rodgers
I see similarities but I think there are a few differences. When TT drafted Rodgers, Favre had already been talking about retirement for the previous few offseasons, if memory serves. The Rodgers pick could have been viewed as a response on the part of the Packers to Favre's annual drama.

On the other hand, BG's decision to trade up for Jordan Love preceded any retirement talk we heard from Rodgers. To many it felt like disruption for disruption's sake, rather than a measured move from the front office. It really was a bad decision for multiple reasons, all of which have already been discussed many times on this forum. Even if Love were to end up being great, to waste those picks on a backup QB when your starter had multiple MVP caliber years left in the tank and a roster on the cusp of being championship caliber was a huge setback.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Captain_Ben wrote:
11 Feb 2023 12:12
Labrev wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Favre > Rodgers
I see similarities but I think there are a few differences. When TT drafted Rodgers, Favre had already been talking about retirement for the previous few offseasons, if memory serves. The Rodgers pick could have been viewed as a response on the part of the Packers to Favre's annual drama.

On the other hand, BG's decision to trade up for Jordan Love preceded any retirement talk we heard from Rodgers. To many it felt like disruption for disruption's sake, rather than a measured move from the front office. It really was a bad decision for multiple reasons, all of which have already been discussed many times on this forum. Even if Love were to end up being great, to waste those picks on a backup QB when your starter had multiple MVP caliber years left in the tank and a roster on the cusp of being championship caliber was a huge setback.
I agree with everything here except the multiple MVP caliber years left in the tank statement.

At the time, we had to be real with ourselves that we had no idea what was left with Rodgers. We brought in MLF to specifically reincarnate #12 but it did also look like they were hedging their bets a bit.

I think the biggest miscalculation the Packers did was not believe how good #12 could be in 2020 and 2021 while also not being enough in January to get it done.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
11 Feb 2023 09:36
Yoop wrote:
Pugger wrote:
We don't need another HOF QB to be successful. A better than average QB can get the job done.
average QB's Pugger are not good enough,.
Well A) I believe you are agreeing with Pugger, at least you aren’t disagreeing with her premise. And B) looking at Brock Purdy, Jalen Hurts, Stafford, Garrapolo, Goff, Nick Foles, Matt Ryan.

The Super Bowl (+Brock Purdy) is littered with a above average QB’s, he’ll even a few average and below average. She is right you don’t need a HOF QB.

No one is saying we don’t want one. She is saying Jordan doesn’t have to be that, because he doesn’t.
every QB Pugger listed has played above average, some way above it, this is what happens when people rely on stats to form a opinion, Stabler was a great QB, as was Namath, the guy had a fast release, was accurate and had a rifle arm, and if I felt like it could comement on others, just because a very good QB has a great supporting cast doesn't take awayfrom the great ability, it just means it wasn't needed as much.

course we wouldn't know that as Packer fans, we've had to rely on Rodgers super ability to make up for a weaker supporting cast.

why you folks can't or wont come to grips with these reality's is something I will never understand.