Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Labrev wrote:
10 Oct 2023 08:33
I am seeing early-years Jared Goff, an overall middling QB that would make some big-time throws and have nice games that showed you why he was a first-round pick, followed up by games where he flat-out stinks.

Goff is good now albeit not an elite QB, but it took a while to reach this point, and his original team decided to deal him for an established vet. DET seems happy with him but LA probably is not too broken up about not having him.

And he had McVay to help his development along. We tried to go a similar route at HC, but it seems clear to me that LaFleur is no McVay. If anything, Tom Clements had more to do with making Love playable than MLF did.
Great true insight regarding Goff and Love. Helps keep the vultures and naysayers at bay (if they are correctly listening).

Jordan could use a new offensive coordinator and new head coach as well.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It's this stupid &%$@... Why? How can you be scared of getting beat deep...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pretty sure the LaFleur wants a point and click QB for his scheme like Tua is in Miami. The problem is he just doesn’t have accuracy for it and his group of receivers aren’t nearly as talented.

I think LaFleurs offense has been figured out. They’re taking away Loves first read where the play is designed to go and it’s all falling apart when he needs to go to his 2nd and 3rd reads.

I did say though he reminded me a lot of Cutler minus the rocket arm that made Cutler an interesting prospect. Loves got a decently strong arm but it’s nothing unique.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

well geesh, Barry got it 50% right :rotf: 3 down, 2 up on that line :clap: who thought they'd actually throw into the EZ, we never do, we gots fooled :rotf:

I can't take this stuff serious, it's bad for my health. :nono:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
10 Oct 2023 13:02

I did say though he reminded me a lot of Cutler minus the rocket arm that made Cutler an interesting prospect. Loves got a decently strong arm but it’s nothing unique.
The arm isn't as impressive as I was hoping it would be. I thought he had potential to have a faster ball than Rodgers but so far I am not seeing it. It's almost as if he is intentionally trying to put too much touch on every throw.

I wanna see him just rip it.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

lupedafiasco wrote:
[Remembers Cutler getting the Bears to the NFC Championship game]

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
10 Oct 2023 13:06
lupedafiasco wrote:

The arm isn't as impressive as I was hoping it would be. I thought he had potential to have a faster ball than Rodgers but so far I am not seeing it. It's almost as if he is intentionally trying to put too much touch on every throw.

I wanna see him just rip it.
ehhhh

just have Jonesy fight for position 5 yrds deep and Love will fire that ball so hard Jones couldn't adjust hands prior to arrival of the ball,I think that was against the Bears, I think he felt the pass rush and hurried his throw, again we are back to protection, or that Love doesn't feel protected.

we all saw what Love was capable off physically, to me what we are seeing now is mostly mental, the supporting cast needs to help him more.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

I wrote this last night and it still holds true. Love is gonna need 3 years or so to see who he is. His most experienced receiver is DeGura so you know there will be struggles.

Uh...Love has kinks to work out. It's not like he comes in ready to play. Rodgers first year was 6-10. We'll be....wait for it! Fine. Geezus christ.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Trudge wrote:
10 Oct 2023 18:55
I wrote this last night and it still holds true. Love is gonna need 3 years or so to see who he is. His most experienced receiver is DeGura so you know there will be struggles.

Uh...Love has kinks to work out. It's not like he comes in ready to play. Rodgers first year was 6-10. We'll be....wait for it! Fine. Geezus christ.
Rodgers was good right away. That team went 6-10 because the defense couldn’t stop a game winning drive to save their lives. It’s why Capers was brought in the following year.

Love leads the league in INTs.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
10 Oct 2023 08:33
I am seeing early-years Jared Goff, an overall middling QB that would make some big-time throws and have nice games that showed you why he was a first-round pick, followed up by games where he flat-out stinks.

Goff is good now albeit not an elite QB, but it took a while to reach this point, and his original team decided to deal him for an established vet. DET seems happy with him but LA probably is not too broken up about not having him.

And he had McVay to help his development along. We tried to go a similar route at HC, but it seems clear to me that LaFleur is no McVay. If anything, Tom Clements had more to do with making Love playable than MLF did.
I was actually thinking about a comparison for Love while out hiking w/the dogs earlier today. Goff is exactly the player I thought of.

I can foresee a progression trajectory very similar to that of Goff. Hopefully Love’s is a bit faster since he had 3 yrs to learn the offense whereas Goff learned on the fly. The experience piece, though, is where Love is obviously struggling. Goff was the same but now seems to have gotten “it”.

Despite claims from our resident forum self-proclaimed expert, the book is not closed on Love. He’s gonna take his lumps, like this Raiders game, but hopefully learn from it. I expect he does and at some point - my expectation is by the end of this season - he starts performing like a consistent and competent QB. Then, hopefully next season, he flourishes.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Somebody with more time and or smarter than me needs to watch the all-22 and let us know how many open receivers love is just missing/not throwing to.

I have a suspicion that he had very limited options. Hard to get mad at love if no one breaks open before the pressure comes to his lap.

I think the receivers stink (at this point in their careers)
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
10 Oct 2023 20:47

Scheme/plays, too.

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

It's two positions trying to learn at the same time. All the WRs are inexperienced, as is Love.

It's like having two sources of variability - it really screws with the highs and lows that can happen. You can try to scheme all the variability out, but that only works if you're not playing against an opponent. The receivers have to learn how to get to open spots, and Love has to learn how to anticipate.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
10 Oct 2023 20:47
Somebody with more time and or smarter than me needs to watch the all-22 and let us know how many open receivers love is just missing/not throwing to.

I have a suspicion that he had very limited options. Hard to get mad at love if no one breaks open before the pressure comes to his lap.

Silverstein and Ryan Wood said from the press box that the receivers just weren’t getting open.

Whether they were getting open or not the pass he made that were picked off were terrible.

Another thing a ton of the podcasters hit in today was LaFleurs play designs being really bad. They have the strike play action play that runs a deep post to pull the safety and you run a deep dig underneath it. This play solely depends on all the LBs coming up and biting on the run and the defense not playing cover 3 or robber. The QB is supposed to run the fake turn and make no reads and just rip it.

That’s garbage offense. You are relying on the defense making a bad play instead of making a good play offensively.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Packers wrs always get open in MLF scheme. The problem was rodgers wouldn't pull the trigger.

Passing game isn't supposed to be a problem now.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Trudge wrote:
10 Oct 2023 18:55
You mean 6 years? 3+3

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

mnkcarp wrote:
10 Oct 2023 21:16
The receivers have to learn how to get to open spots, and Love has to learn how to anticipate.
As we saw multiple times over the past few games, the WR are often running the wrong routes (or making the wrong adjustments) because often it ends up where 2 or 3 are practically on top of each other. And Love is already slow with this reads and anticipation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

A conundrum.

The former QB and forum hero to some…disputes that Love sucks??

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yal should read the kurt benkhe thread on Lafleur and his offense
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
10 Oct 2023 22:38
Yal should read the kurt benkhe thread on Lafleur and his offense
can you post?