Super Bowl LVIII

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who

Chiefs
35%
49ers
6%
Packers could beat both
29%
Fire LaCoach
6%
We got this next year
24%

Total votes: 17

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

It didn’t even need to be Crosby but something different needed to happen. After beating the Cowboys someone should have been brought in. And who knows if something would have went differently or not but you’ve gotta try something.

Opportunity was there to win a championship and this organization sat on its hands like they always do.

I’m happy with the fast turnaround this team has put together but their inability to fix their in season weaknesses has cost this team a potential 3 SBs.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Feb 2024 00:12
It didn’t even need to be Crosby but something different needed to happen. After beating the Cowboys someone should have been brought in. And who knows if something would have went differently or not but you’ve gotta try something.

Opportunity was there to win a championship and this organization sat on its hands like they always do.

I’m happy with the fast turnaround this team has put together but their inability to fix their in season weaknesses has cost this team a potential 3 SBs.
I think they assumed that bringing in a new kicker would result in a less reliable situation, not more. There are 4 parts to every kick, the protection, the snap, the placement and the kick. We know the long snapper was a problem all season and replacing the kicker does nothing for that. I do not blame them and I think they were probably correct. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. And no, you don't have to try something when the odds are that not sticking with the present situation will make everything worse.

Now, bring a second long snapper to camp and a second kicker and if they are noticeably better, go with the new guy(s). Now there is time for a proper evaluation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

If Carlson had missed a game deciding PO kick to end the game, NO one would be talking this status quo BS, just more defense for a failed situation, just like years passed with other failed do nothing situations.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

If the plan was to give Carlson two to three seasons to develop and be "the guy", a rational GM & coach aren't going to go "Oops, we accidentally made the playoffs. Better change course and bring in another kicker."

Let's not forget, Crosby was in year five before he cracked 80%. :messedup:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
18 Feb 2024 12:06
If the plan was to give Carlson two to three seasons to develop and be "the guy", a rational GM & coach aren't going to go "Oops, we accidentally made the playoffs. Better change course and bring in another kicker."

It's not the 6 FG's he missed as much as it is the 5 XP, Crosby was perfect on those, also KIcker, punter, snapper, and holder are not developmental positions, they are walk on and play positions.

and rational GM's bring in replacements all the time :thwap:
Last edited by Yoop on 18 Feb 2024 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Mason Crosby missed 1 XP in his first 4 seasons and 4 total before the NFL moved the XP back. The NFL moved it back in 2015. Crosby was 100% in 2015. Crosby went on to miss 17 after 2015.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:

The standard of kicking now vs when Crosby came into the league is completely different.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Feb 2024 14:44
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

The standard of kicking now vs when Crosby came into the league is completely different.
Not sure what point is being made, but, for starters, from 2007 (Crosby's first year) until 2022 (his last with the Pack), the NFL average for FG was between 81.3% and 85.9%, with those sixteen years being the highest sixteen in history. Crosby was from 63.6% to 100%, with him being above the NFL average in six of the sixteen years.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Yoop wrote:
18 Feb 2024 13:02
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

...also KIcker, punter, snapper, and holder are not developmental positions, they are walk on and play positions.
Ideally, but look at what happened with Daniel Carlson and Younghoe Koo
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Never played the game, but I've always wondered why really good punters, kickers, holders, and snappers fail in the NFL. I'd think it'd be a muscle memory kind of thing, sort of like free throws in basketball. The mechanics are the same, no?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
18 Feb 2024 18:08
Yoop wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

...also KIcker, punter, snapper, and holder are not developmental positions, they are walk on and play positions.
there are exceptions concerning everything, including kickers, I didn't bother to find out who Koo or Carlson are, or speculate why they took so long to improve, I just know that with all things being done right, the snapper gets a good snap, the holder does his job, the blocking holds up, a kicker that did well in college should be able to translate that success to the NFL almost immediately.

the draw back would be personal tension, the inability to focus on only the task at hand, now obviously players develop more and more confidence the longer they play, unless when the play, they fail, which tends to make players try harder and adds more tension, some players can play through that, some can't, and it's fair to say Carlson didn't, we'll see if he can in the next test. :idn:

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
18 Feb 2024 18:08
Yoop wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

Forgive me for my ignorance as maybe I've been a bit out of the loop, but who in the $%@# is Younghoe Koo?
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Kickers change teams quite regularly. They development confidence issues or hit a rocky patch and are cut or not resigned due to salary, quite often.

Top 10 kickers in FGM in 2023:
Brandon Aubrey - Rookie
Jason Myers - 3rd team
Cairo Santos - 6th team
Greg Zuerlein - 4th team
Matt Gay - 3rd team
Dustin Hopkins - 3rd team
Harrison Butker - 1st team
Justin Tucker - 1st team
Younghoe Koo - 2nd team
Cameron Dicker - 2nd team

There are usually kickers out there on the street. For example Brett Maher was available from Oct. 24 to Jan 3. Michael Badgley was available until Dec. 29. Ryan Succup, Robbie Gould, Zane Gonzalez, Rodrigo Blankenship, just to name a few were all available in 2023.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I'm not saying Carlson was good but I do think some of his misses were due to bad snaps screwing up the timing. Whelan's holds improved as the season went on but the snapping issues were season long. Maybe that's why they stuck with Carlson. According to pro-football reference Carlson is only the 4th kicker in Packers history to have over 80% success rate for a "career". So I'm guessing we haven't had the most accurate kickers ever in our history. Crosby, Longwell & Stenerud are the only ones with +80-% for their GB careers. Marcol was 66.7%.

Is it that hard to kick at Lambeau?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Defense wins championships