2020 General Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:54
What's "more dumb," expecting multiple rookies to make big contributions or expecting multiple 2nd and 3rd year players to make big contributions?
Is this a real question? Depends on the players. For quite few 2nd and 3rd year players its pathetic to hold out hope and much more realistic hoping that fresh talent will make a difference. For players who have shown something than you could expect further growth.

This will be an interesting year with an unknown being how training and preseason occurs with Corona. I don't really trust a lot of players doing the right thing at home and not being with the team at the facility. If it is severely hampered i wouldn't expect much growth.

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

A mock..who's talking about a mock?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Confused by what all the Green Man tagged avatar posts are about...

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
25 Apr 2020 18:13
This will be an interesting year with an unknown being how training and preseason occurs with Corona. I don't really trust a lot of players doing the right thing at home and not being with the team at the facility. If it is severely hampered i wouldn't expect much growth.
I actually agree that I'm not sure we can expect the normal level of improvement for the second year in a new system or second year in the NFL given that being "in the offseason program for the full year" is part of that improvement.

But everyone is on the same footing with that.

It'll be a tough year to get more out of rookies, though, as well. Probably even more so than the former point.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Freewheelingutey wrote:
25 Apr 2020 18:31
A mock..who's talking about a mock?
Removing the backgrounds on em for people. :mrgreen:
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Best draft was the Ravens. Worst was ours.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
What's "more dumb," expecting multiple rookies to make big contributions or expecting multiple 2nd and 3rd year players to make big contributions?
Is this a real question? Depends on the players. For quite few 2nd and 3rd year players its pathetic to hold out hope and much more realistic hoping that fresh talent will make a difference. For players who have shown something than you could expect further growth.
Unfortunately it is a real question because apparently it isn't well understood. That there are quite a few 2nd and 3rd year players that don't make it or contribute was not the discussion. That is obviously true. That said, it would be foolish to think or depend on more than 1 or 2 rookies to be big contributors. However, it is must more common to have more 2nd and 3rd year guys become big contributors. No one is saying hold our hope for 2nd and 3rd round guys who have shown little. It is ironic that you are pumping this fresh talent idea when they haven't shown anything at all. :lol:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Best thing to come out of this draft.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 19:14
bud fox wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Unfortunately it is a real question because apparently it isn't well understood. That there are quite a few 2nd and 3rd year players that don't make it or contribute was not the discussion. That is obviously true. That said, it would be foolish to think or depend on more than 1 or 2 rookies to be big contributors. However, it is must more common to have more 2nd and 3rd year guys become big contributors. No one is saying hold our hope for 2nd and 3rd round guys who have shown little. It is ironic that you are pumping this fresh talent idea when they haven't shown anything at all. :lol:
Not showing anything can be better than a poor showing.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Even after learning to accept the change in strategy...leaving the best WR draft in 25 years (all time?), without a WR is a disgrace when 52% of your wr snaps last year were to UDFAs.

Just saying
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 20:22
Even after learning to accept the change in strategy...leaving the best WR draft in 25 years (all time?), without a WR is a disgrace when 52% of your wr snaps last year were to UDFAs.

Just saying
These aren't the exact words because I was typing as he was talking.

But someone asked him about that; about how CB was a strength of the 2018 draft and we took 2. EDGE was a strength of the 2019 draft and we came away with Gary at the top. WR was the strength of this draft and... nothing.

Here's Gutey's rather surprising response: "We thought the top was unusually strong, but I don't know that beyond that we thought it was as strong as a lot of other people did. Once there was a run early, we thought with the guys we had, we didn't have many guys who we mocked to actually make our team next year."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 20:40
Drj820 wrote:

Just saying

But someone asked him about that; about how CB was a strength of the 2018 draft and we took 2. EDGE was a strength of the 2019 draft and we came away with Gary at the top. WR was the strength of this draft and... nothing.

Here's Gutey's rather surprising response: "We thought the top was unusually strong, but I don't know that beyond that we thought it was as strong as a lot of other people did. Once there was a run early, we thought with the guys we had, we didn't have many guys who we mocked to actually make our team next year."
Also interesting how he highlighted how important that year 3 is for WRs.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2020 20:44
YoHoChecko wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Just saying

I heard his fair response...my opinion is still you don’t leave the 2020 draft without a WR after what we’ve seen the last two seasons. I understand Gutey has his reasons. But everyone else besides Gutey thought it was a historically good WR draft, and the packers needed a WR in my opinion.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I think they are telling us it isn't the receivers, it is the QB.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 25 Apr 2020 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 20:56
I think it they are telling us it isn't the receivers, it is the QB.

Yikes. Interesting point to infer. Not my first thought, but can’t deny the evidence.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
I think it they are telling us it isn't the receivers, it is the QB.
They’re wrong. How can you say it’s the QB when the guys he had to throw to we’re ass booty butt cheeks. Jimmy Graham couldn’t run or catch. He was as useless as it gets. MVS is a deep threat who can’t track a ball. Kumerow is a joke. Geronimo Allison was Jimmy Graham but younger and at WR. Lazard was ok but nothing special. This has to be the slowest group of pass catchers in the league.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 20:53
go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2020 20:44
YoHoChecko wrote:

I heard his fair response...my opinion is still you don’t leave the 2020 draft without a WR after what we’ve seen the last two seasons. I understand Gutey has his reasons. But everyone else besides Gutey thought it was a historically good WR draft, and the packers needed a WR in my opinion.
funny how every draft service says this is one of the best WR drafts in years and Guty disagree's, more and more Guty talks with forked tongue, he better hope Rodgers is the consumate pro he thinks he is otherwise this is going to blow up in Guty's face.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Again, not piling on gutey. Just thinking out loud here. Last year:
Gutey thought the WRs we had were enough and never pursued better.
He thought Graham was good enough to keep.
He thought Oren Burks was answer at ILB2
He thought Lowry was worth 20million.
We’ve seen massive whiffs in his early draft history.

Credit where it’s due: he is good at finding talent for the bottom of the roster on the waiver wire.

Beyond that, are we sure gutey is a quality talent evaluator?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:

that must be why they gave him more money to stay 18 months ago, so if they think it's a QB problem that makes them a bunch of stupid SOB's.

you just can't help starting some idiotic BS can you, Rodgers playing for a team like KC last year gets him a SB, hell he could do it with a few teams, but he'll never do it for a team that wont help him like ours, the only impact offensive player drafted in the last 7 years is Aaron Jones, and you want to blame Rodgers, you and a few others here have A SCREW LOSE, you use Rodgers to scape goat some of the most disfunctional FO moves we've experienced in over a decade, it's beyond ignorant to blame Rodgers.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
25 Apr 2020 21:21
Pckfn23 wrote:

that must be why they gave him more money to stay 18 months ago, so if they think it's a QB problem that makes them a bunch of stupid SOB's.

you just can't help starting some idiotic BS can you, Rodgers playing for a team like KC last year gets him a SB, hell he could do it with a few teams, but he'll never do it for a team that wont help him like ours, the only impact offensive player drafted in the last 7 years is Aaron Jones, and you want to blame Rodgers, you and a few others here have A SCREW LOSE, you use Rodgers to scape goat some of the most disfunctional FO moves we've experienced in over a decade, it's beyond ignorant to blame Rodgers.
Il defend 23 here, that is what they showed us this draft. They screamed it.

Now we take that and either agree with them (I dont), we think Gutey has trouble evaluating talent (maybe), we think he just gets green tint groovy love glasses for players he drafts (probably), or he is right about Rodgers and he needs to be held accountable for his own decision to extend the guy to a massive contract.

I’d say those are the options.