JJ Watt

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
27 Feb 2021 07:13
Yoop wrote:
26 Feb 2021 19:50
BF004 wrote:
26 Feb 2021 16:21

Z: 89.7
JJ: 87.0

JJ a generational talent, been better more consistently. I just give him the slight edge right now.
see thats a tough one to accept for me, must be his run grade lowers his over all grade, cause he was a monster when it came to pass rush, the same PFF shows him to have been the best pass rusher in the league 2019

93 total pressures
No player had more total pressures during the 2019 NFL season than Green Bay Packers outside linebacker Za'Darius Smith. According to Pro Football Focus, Smith led the NFL with 93 total pressures this season.Jan 1, 2020
I don’t get what you’re struggling to accept. Seems like you are accepting it. 🤷‍♂️
the part I didn't get is that Z only received a 89.7 grade versus lets say a 92. plus grade, trivial I know, lis probably because he isn't better against the run.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

90+ grades are very rare

There were only two given at edge in 2020, Mack and TJ Watt.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
27 Feb 2021 07:53
90+ grades are very rare

did you pay for PFF ratings? I thought about it, but declined, when it comes to disruption % ( pressures) Mack was #9 on this ten man list as of Nov. 2020, Z didn't make the list, I'll try and dig up 019 stats next, where I'am sure he rated higher.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-10-most- ... -watt-lead

yep just as I thought Z ended up 2nd to Myles Garrett with % of disruptions per snap count, we need him to return to that dominance, and PFF should have given him a 90 grade, PFF hates us :lol:

https://www.nfl.com/news/myles-garrett- ... rs-of-2019

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Feb 2021 23:00
Backthepack4ever wrote:
26 Feb 2021 18:30
lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Feb 2021 17:45
Z is the better pass rusher at this stage on his career. JJ is no doubt the better and more consistent run defender.
I'll just say adding watt gives us 3 blues on the d front with a rising gary. Thats by far and away the scariest front in football. Find a cb 2 and we are set. Keke was good in limited role also. Watt isnt what he was but his presence does make a huge impact overall
No doubt getting Watt gives us the best front 4 in the league. Is it affordable though? I don’t think there’s a chance in hell this organization would be willing to sacrifice consistency for short term success. They’re all about maintaining playoff appearances so they can justify raising ticket prices.
Since when do the Packers justify raising ticket prices? WDFDYCUWDCARI/N :rotf:
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 27 Feb 2021 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

You cut Smith post June 1. Gary takes his place.

You use the money from Smith to sign Watt. You cut Funchess and another JAG if Watt is more expensive than Smith.

Defense is instantly better, both by adding Watt (DL) and replacing Smith (OLB) with Gary.

It really is that simple.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
27 Feb 2021 08:53

You use the money from Smith to sign Watt. You cut Funchess and another JAG if Watt is more expensive than Smith.

Defense is instantly better, both by adding Watt (DL) and replacing Smith (OLB) with Gary.

Yes, but a month ago the thought was we cut Smith simply to cover the expected team cap exceedance. If the Smith cap savings (and more?) is now being reallocated to sign Watt, where/who gets cut to meet the cap restriction that still exists?

And that doesn’t even address the added expense of retaining Tonyan. Need room under the cap for him, as well.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Interestingly, the reason Watt may not sign with Green Bay is the Jordan Love pick. Something I hadn’t considered until I read the most recent SI article.

Watt probably desires 2 things; a long term deal (4 years) and to win a championship.

JJ’s agent may figure that Rodgers won’t be around in a year or two.

:thwap: :bkw: :messedup:
Love is the answer…

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
27 Feb 2021 09:24
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
27 Feb 2021 08:53

Yes, but a month ago the thought was we cut Smith simply to cover the expected team cap exceedance. If the Smith cap savings (and more?) is now being reallocated to sign Watt, where/who gets cut to meet the cap restriction that still exists?

And that doesn’t even address the added expense of retaining Tonyan. Need room under the cap for him, as well.
Yeah by my count we are still like $13 million over the cap. (right now around $194.5 million) and it depends on what the cap actually is. Need probably $7 million for RFA's. Need another $5 million for draft picks.

Those are all high level numbers, but we still have a ways to go.

Based on my math, the Packers can likely have one swing this offseason but it would require likely Preston and maybe a Dean cut. It would also require likely extension of Adams and Amos/Z and Rodgers could always be done too. If we sign JJ....Dean needs to be a cut.

When I say swing, I am talking one of either Linsley, Aaron Jones, or external FA.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
27 Feb 2021 08:25
BF004 wrote:
27 Feb 2021 07:53
90+ grades are very rare

did you pay for PFF ratings? I thought about it, but declined, when it comes to disruption % ( pressures) Mack was #9 on this ten man list as of Nov. 2020, Z didn't make the list, I'll try and dig up 019 stats next, where I'am sure he rated higher.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-10-most- ... -watt-lead

yep just as I thought Z ended up 2nd to Myles Garrett with % of disruptions per snap count, we need him to return to that dominance, and PFF should have given him a 90 grade, PFF hates us :lol:

https://www.nfl.com/news/myles-garrett- ... rs-of-2019
Heavens no I don’t pay. For good players, typically pretty easy to find past grades in articles and tweets if you look for minute or two.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

You extend Z and Adams and restructure and extend AR.

Voila, cap space galore.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
27 Feb 2021 10:14

Voila, cap space galore.
Yes, but then there is no need for Preston to be a post June 1 cut.

Honestly kind of a D move for the players too; I’m sure Preston would like to be an FA before free agency starts rather than in June. No reason to get a bad reputation by dogging players around.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
27 Feb 2021 10:28
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

Voila, cap space galore.

Honestly kind of a D move for the players too; I’m sure Preston would like to be an FA before free agency starts rather than in June. No reason to get a bad reputation by dogging players around.
We can cut Preston Smith at 3 PM on March 17th and designate him a June 1st cut. We won't realize the cap savings until June 1st. I would assume that is what we are doing as we have not cut him yet. We could tell JJ to hold on until June and then we will pay him.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

BF004 wrote:
27 Feb 2021 10:28
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

Voila, cap space galore.

Under the CBA I don't believe that is how it works.

The team gets the cap relief and the player can sign somewhere else prior to June 1.

I'll let Pckfn23 correct us all. 😀

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I really don't get the point of the June 1 cut. So many things needed to fickled with in order for the June 1 cut to even work that it makes me wonder what is the point.

The only real advantage of a June 1 cut in my mind (by the time you can actually reap the benefits) is you got $4 million stashed away during the season to sign someone if an injury occurs.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

$4 million will account for the draft picks.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Feb 2021 11:56
Bingo, bango, bongo.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Feb 2021 11:56
true. That is a good point.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Why is it so scary to push Rodgers money back, but it’s a grand idea to do it for Preston?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
27 Feb 2021 22:16
Why is it so scary to push Rodgers money back, but it’s a grand idea to do it for Preston?
Huh?

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

BF004 wrote:
26 Feb 2021 11:25
I'd give JJ a small lean over Z right now, but its close.
No way. Not even close. Take off the Badger-colored glasses. Z is like top 3 at his position and JJ, possibly solely because of injuries, is only above average.