Random stuff

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
13 Mar 2021 12:54
paco wrote:
13 Mar 2021 12:48
anyone have a battery powered lawn mower? Do you recommend them? Suggestion on brands to go toward or shy away from? Looking into them and wonder if it's worth it. I've got a pretty normal sized lawn. Takes me about 30-40 minutes to mow through it now with a standard push mower (not self drive).
For a lawn that size I would not recommend it. They are perfect for really small lots or doing trim work around trees and edges and such, but I wouldn't want one for my whole yard. They also just lack the power to get through tough grass... slightly wet, the one or two times you let it go too long... it will be practically useless for that. I'm sure the batteries are better than the ones I had in the electric mower I had as a kid, but I don't know why you wouldn't go gas with a normal sized yard.
Getting through the longer or wet grass is a concern as I do tend to wait too long to mow. It sounds like the power has gotten better, but I know it doesn't compare to gas. The thinking on electric is saving on things like gas, oil, and other maintenance. Plus they tend to be quieter which is nice.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

paco wrote:
13 Mar 2021 13:15
NCF wrote:
13 Mar 2021 12:54
paco wrote:
13 Mar 2021 12:48
anyone have a battery powered lawn mower? Do you recommend them? Suggestion on brands to go toward or shy away from? Looking into them and wonder if it's worth it. I've got a pretty normal sized lawn. Takes me about 30-40 minutes to mow through it now with a standard push mower (not self drive).
For a lawn that size I would not recommend it. They are perfect for really small lots or doing trim work around trees and edges and such, but I wouldn't want one for my whole yard. They also just lack the power to get through tough grass... slightly wet, the one or two times you let it go too long... it will be practically useless for that. I'm sure the batteries are better than the ones I had in the electric mower I had as a kid, but I don't know why you wouldn't go gas with a normal sized yard.
Getting through the longer or wet grass is a concern as I do tend to wait too long to mow. It sounds like the power has gotten better, but I know it doesn't compare to gas. The thinking on electric is saving on things like gas, oil, and other maintenance. Plus they tend to be quieter which is nice.
Actually went battery about 3 years ago, because I didn't want gas and oil in the garage with children. It's also nice to be able to hear the kids outside while I'm mowing. Where with gas I'd get anxiety, stopping to mow, checking on them constantly.

Decent sized lawn - and usually takes me 1-1.5hrs to mow and trim around things (I'm picky though, my wife tells me I take forever). Usually get about 30-45 mins out of the larger batteries, but the grass length and whether it's wet or dry really impacts this. If the grass is wet, you'll be stopping a lot. NCF mentioned lack of power, it has power, but if you wait weeks on end to mow, you're going to have problems. But, if you have the spare batteries..

Went Greenworks. Got a mower, trimmer, weed-eater, and a small chainsaw.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I'll also say in terms of "love this thing, just like gas" effectiveness - mower is last.

1. Hedge trimmer
2. Weed-eater
3. Chainsaw
4. Mower
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

If I go battery, I expect to buy at least a 2nd battery to go with it. With as small as my lawn is, that should get me through fine. I usually don't wait several weeks to mow, so it's not like I'm going through knee level grass. Though wet grass happens frequently. As long as it has the power to physically get through it and doesn't stop or mow like crap, I think it'll work well for me. I have a good amount of things to mow around, so the maneuverability will be nice. I'm overall pretty flat, minor slope in the front yard, though have some rough spots too.

Probably won't know if it'll work for me until I buy one and try it. But I need something new. My current mower is probably 20 years old and starting to fall apart. And I've never actually bought a lawn mower. The 2 I've had I've gotten as hand-me-downs from relatives.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

paco wrote:
13 Mar 2021 13:44
If I go battery, I expect to buy at least a 2nd battery to go with it. With as small as my lawn is, that should get me through fine. I usually don't wait several weeks to mow, so it's not like I'm going through knee level grass. Though wet grass happens frequently. As long as it has the power to physically get through it and doesn't stop or mow like crap, I think it'll work well for me. I have a good amount of things to mow around, so the maneuverability will be nice. I'm overall pretty flat, minor slope in the front yard, though have some rough spots too.

Probably won't know if it'll work for me until I buy one and try it. But I need something new. My current mower is probably 20 years old and starting to fall apart. And I've never actually bought a lawn mower. The 2 I've had I've gotten as hand-me-downs from relatives.
I'd definitely go with a second battery. By far the only downside of it, is when the grass is wet. If this is the case, obviously I'll raise the deck and make a pass or two. Which definitely... sucks. But, not having to screw around with gas, oil, other maintenance.. is definitely nice. I was the epitome of mowing half my yard and running out of gas, needing to run into town though. :lol: :messedup:
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

TheGreenMan wrote:
13 Mar 2021 13:52
paco wrote:
13 Mar 2021 13:44

I'd definitely go with a second battery. By far the only downside of it, is when the grass is wet. If this is the case, obviously I'll raise the deck and make a pass or two. Which definitely... sucks. But, not having to screw around with gas, oil, other maintenance.. is definitely nice. I was the epitome of mowing half my yard and running out of gas, needing to run into town though. :lol: :messedup:
Ha, yeah, that's not me. I hate mowing. I have a crappy looking lawn. But I do try to keep it mowed. But I get through it as quickly as possible. I also hate maintenance. So I'll probably give it a try and see how it goes. Just need to figure out what to get. Tons of options out there.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

paco wrote:
13 Mar 2021 14:00
I hate mowing. I have a crappy looking lawn. But I do try to keep it mowed.
I'm assuming you don't live in a gated community. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

TheGreenMan wrote:
13 Mar 2021 14:06
paco wrote:
13 Mar 2021 14:00
I hate mowing. I have a crappy looking lawn. But I do try to keep it mowed.
I'm assuming you don't live in a gated community. :lol:
Gated communities exist to keep people like me out. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

“Marvelous” Marvin Hagler died. He was a great one, one of the best, when boxing was actually still relevant. I remember watching that Hagler-Hearns fight and just being in awe of the relentless aggression. What a warrior.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

We bought an early version electric mower in 2008. Our lawn was very small then. It would get it on one charge, but severely lacked power. Went with gas when it died in 2011. When that one died (wasn't worth repairing) in 2018 wecwent gas again. Now mowing requires a rider and push for the areas the rider can't get. I still like gas. But we have one where the blade stops when you release the lever in the handle, but the engine stays running. Much safer.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I've got an electric mower sitting in a cart ready to check out, but haven't pulled the trigger. Why was I so naïve to the fact that the batteries are more than half the cost of the mower!? Mower is $600 An additional battery is another $350.

How long do these batteries last? 1 year? 5 years? It has me second guessing this now. Am I essentially buying a new mower every few years because the battery goes? With a purchase like this, I expect it to go for 10 years minimum, maybe 20 without having to replace it. Not sure I want to drop $1000 now and commit to another $350 every couple of years.

Talk me down here guys. What can I expect?
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
17 Mar 2021 12:44
Talk me down here guys.
This will last you a decade, if not more. Easy. Maintenance? Fill with gas. Check the oil levels once a year and top off, if necessary. Change the blade every 2-3 years. I don't understand the thinking that a push mower is a high maintenance machine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Recycl ... 052301-_-N&

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
17 Mar 2021 12:59
paco wrote:
Talk me down here guys.
This will last you a decade, if not more. Easy. Maintenance? Fill with gas. Check the oil levels once a year and top off, if necessary. Change the blade every 2-3 years. I don't understand the thinking that a push mower is a high maintenance machine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Recycl ... 052301-_-N&
It's not that they are super high maintenance I guess. I suppose with all the older ones I've had, they are more. Newer wouldn't be. I like the idea of not worrying about gas, but gas for a mower and my small lawn is no big cost. The environment is screwed anyway.

This is actually one of the gas mowers I was looking at getting. The only thing I've seen people complain about with Toro is the quality has gone downhill a bit since they moved production to Mexico.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
17 Mar 2021 13:08
This is actually one of the gas mowers I was looking at getting. The only thing I've seen people complain about with Toro is the quality has gone downhill a bit since they moved production to Mexico.
I just know from experience... but not recent experience, I suppose. I bought mine in 2007. I have since moved to a much larger property and bought a riding mower. Still, I have pulled it out from time to time over the past four years and it still starts first or second pull every time.

Read More. Post Less.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Took a pistol class today. Shot several 9mm guns. Wife took it too and shot mostly 22 but a few 9mm rounds. Need to go back and shoot some more before buying. Looking to take a rifle class, too, to get comfortable with AR-15 style.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

wallyuwl wrote:
17 Mar 2021 23:16
Took a pistol class today. Shot several 9mm guns. Wife took it too and shot mostly 22 but a few 9mm rounds. Need to go back and shoot some more before buying. Looking to take a rifle class, too, to get comfortable with AR-15 style.
You might want to look into what type ammo is available and include that in your weapon purchase decision.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
19 Mar 2021 06:50
wallyuwl wrote:
17 Mar 2021 23:16
You might want to look into what type ammo is available and include that in your weapon purchase decision.
Everything I'm looking at uses basic 9mm, no specialty stuff. Hollow point is nearly impossible to find, though I did find one place but they were jerks. Still might go back and get a box or two just because they have it.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

paco wrote:
I've got an electric mower sitting in a cart ready to check out, but haven't pulled the trigger. Why was I so naïve to the fact that the batteries are more than half the cost of the mower!? Mower is $600 An additional battery is another $350.

How long do these batteries last? 1 year? 5 years? It has me second guessing this now. Am I essentially buying a new mower every few years because the battery goes? With a purchase like this, I expect it to go for 10 years minimum, maybe 20 without having to replace it. Not sure I want to drop $1000 now and commit to another $350 every couple of years.

$350 for an additional battery? What brand/models are you looking at? That seems steep!
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

TheGreenMan wrote:
19 Mar 2021 11:59
paco wrote:

$350 for an additional battery? What brand/models are you looking at? That seems steep!
I was looking at the Ego mowers. The 7.5 amp hour batter was listed for that amount.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheGreenMan wrote:
13 Mar 2021 13:41
I'll also say in terms of "love this thing, just like gas" effectiveness - mower is last.

1. Hedge trimmer
2. Weed-eater
3. Chainsaw
4. Mower
I will say I own an electric chainsaw. Sucks dragging the extension cord out and maneuver around, but the thing actually cuts really nice for the short work I need it for. A fraction of the cost of a gas chainsaw.

Read More. Post Less.