Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

paco wrote:
21 Jul 2021 08:03
Yeah, except I'm definitely walking off with the red woman here. I was just thinking about this...

Former NFL receiver Torrey Smith posted an observation about Giannis on Twitter – he makes a bad play, like an airball at the free-throw line, he just calmly walks back to the line and takes the next shot.

That's the way to be, not like HIERO!Rodgers who gets all pissy and bitterly grumbles... whatever he grumbles to himself when things are going just a little bit wrong.

I'm still a fan of Rodgers the player, and even the person – flaws and all. But Giannis is better. He's just, better.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
21 Jul 2021 08:40
QB's taken where Love was have a 75% bust rate, sure some where not coached up long enough, but the point is most where successful college QB's where the game is slower and less complicated, heres a link to success rates according to pick slot of all QB's drafted this century, and what to expect from this class.
I'm not sure what your point is with this statement and your associated link. You bemoan the fact QBs taken at Love's draft slot have a 75% bust rate...but that's no different than QB's taken with picks 2-5 according to your linked article.

So is your point not to even bother drafting a QB unless you have the overall no. 1 pick? Or wait until the team is slotted between picks 6-20 where the bust rate is a manageable 50%? I mean, is that what this is meant to infer - success by draft slotting??
Attachments
QB Success - Bust Chart.PNG
QB Success - Bust Chart.PNG (29.23 KiB) Viewed 384 times

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

This proves the Packers should have traded up to pick 20 to select Love. Gute is an idiot.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
21 Jul 2021 08:55
paco wrote:
Yeah, except I'm definitely walking off with the red woman here. I was just thinking about this...

Former NFL receiver Torrey Smith posted an observation about Giannis on Twitter – he makes a bad play, like an airball at the free-throw line, he just calmly walks back to the line and takes the next shot.

That's the way to be, not like HIERO!Rodgers who gets all pissy and bitterly grumbles... whatever he grumbles to himself when things are going just a little bit wrong.

I'm still a fan of Rodgers the player, and even the person – flaws and all. But Giannis is better. He's just, better.
I would wait on saying that too. I mean we were all convinced how clutch Rodgers was, etc. too 10 years ago.

And then he gave us 9 years to show us he's not quite to that level.

All stars look really good after winning a championship. The key is can they do it again.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
21 Jul 2021 09:15
I'm not sure what your point is with this statement and your associated link. You bemoan the fact QBs taken at Love's draft slot have a 75% bust rate...but that's no different than QB's taken with picks 2-5 according to your linked article.
the point is that at slot 26 there are lOVE caliber QB's in almost every draft class.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
21 Jul 2021 09:35
Labrev wrote:
paco wrote:

I would wait on saying that too. I mean we were all convinced how clutch Rodgers was, etc. too 10 years ago.

All stars look really good after winning a championship. The key is can they do it again.
no the key is that they continue to play at that level, if all this game means to you is how many Championships one player can deliver you should probably follow bowling, Rodgers has played very well in PO games we've lost.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Repost:
YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Jun 2021 10:03
In 2017, no QBs were selected between 12th and 52nd. Those QBs were Deshawn Watson at 12 and DeShone Kizer at 52.

In 2018 only 1 QB was selected between pick 10 and pick 76. At pick 10 was Josh Rosen; at pick 76 was Mason Rudolph. And the 32nd pick in the draft was a bet on a high-upside Lamar Jackson.

In 2019 no QBs were selected between 15th and 42nd. Those QBs were Dwayne Haskins at 15 and Drew Lock at 42.

In 2021 no QBs were selected between 15th and 64th. Those QBs were Mac Jones at 15 and Kyle Trask at 64.

I list these to point out that it is not every year that a QB with first round upside is available at 26 or 30. When a QB like that is available, it often comes with a gamble, such as Lamar Jackson who many thought couldn't play QB in the league, and for whom the Ravens totally revamped their offensive scheme to make him a success (good for them).

It's also to point out that in some years, guys like Mac Jones and Dwayne Haskins go 15th overall. And say what you will about Mac Jones' processing and mental awareness, don't try to tell me those guys have more TALENT than Jordan Love.

A better argument might be made (and will be made by yoop) that Love seems more like Lock and Kizer, who went in the middle of the second. I believe that Love is more talented than both; more accurate than both; but I understand his shortcomings in mental processing and decision-making draw some comparisons.

But the point is that
  • a) you CANNOT plan to draft a QB at 26 or at 30 in advance. It would be a dumb plan because there usually will not be one worth taking there. There's no way to expect one to be there. Usually, even in QB-heavy drafts, the scarcity element gets them off the board by the middle of the first round (see the 15th, 12th, 10th referenced above).
  • b) You can't just pick a QB in the late first round "any year" as some claim. The trend clearly shows that the "top" QBs generally go in the top half of the round, and after that, there's a big jump before you get to more longshot candidates like Lock and Kizer and Mason frickin Rudolph
  • c) I'd way rather have Jordan Love than Dwayne Haskins or Mac Jones, talent, upside, development-wise.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:

Clutch or not, the attitude is right, and Rodgers's attitude has not been similarly admirable even before he got us a trophy.

Cam Newton had a similar problem early in his career but some vets called him out on it and got his mind right. Sadly, nobody called out Aaron on that while they could, and now he probably wouldn't listen.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Jul 2021 09:50
A better argument might be made (and will be made by yoop) that Love seems more like Lock and Kizer, who went in the middle of the second. I believe that Love is more talented than both; more accurate than both; but I understand his shortcomings in mental processing and decision-making draw some comparisons.
thing is slow processers and poor decision makers are probably the biggest reasons QB's bust out.

Rodgers according to most pre draft hype was the best QB in his class for these reasons, accuracy and tech stuff can be coached up, the mental stuff imho is much harder, Rodgers fell due to the Tedford stigma, his cocky attitude, and because not as many teams needed a QB that year.

and we sat him to long, but imo he was to good to pass up, I'd have passed on a QB a couple more years.

we'll see who LOve is sooner then I hoped.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
21 Jul 2021 09:59
go pak go wrote:

Clutch or not, the attitude is right, and Rodgers's attitude has not been similarly admirable even before he got us a trophy.

Cam Newton had a similar problem early in his career but some vets called him out on it and got his mind right. Sadly, nobody called out Aaron on that while they could, and now he probably wouldn't listen.
Gosh I just remembered a completely different Rodgers before the 2012 season. It seemed 2012 is when he started to turn into a tool based on my memory.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
go pak go wrote:

don't really have a preference, but cockiness is often confused with self assurance, and a player being confident in there ability is a valued trait, cockiness is the the chip on the shoulder Rodgers carried as a result of being under valued and passed over 23 times when he was the best QB in his class, I loved it when Finley would pooch a route and Rodgers got on his butt,I want a QB that holds others accountable.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

go pak go wrote:
21 Jul 2021 10:21
Labrev wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Gosh I just remembered a completely different Rodgers before the 2012 season. It seemed 2012 is when he started to turn into a tool based on my memory.
Yes! I remember in 2012, I was having a conversation with coworkers and we were all starting to complain about his body language and snobbish attitude. Coincidently, it was the same year that Driver retired and I remember he made some vague but not so flattering comments about Rodgers after the season ala "remember where you came from" or something like that. Not long after, reports surfaced that he didn't talk to his family anymore. I really do think something happened around that time that was a shift in in personality and I think the Packers have just dealt with it for 9 years now.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Week 1 in 2012 is also where Rodgers supposedly made the infamous "Come get him" comments to 49ers about Greg Jennings.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I mean Brady is a d*ck on the field. The difference is the ball magically lands where it needs to land and when it needs to land for Brady (or you know...the yellow flag comes out flying when it needs to fly out too, but I digress)
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Wonder if Giannis showing unwavering support and love to Milwaukee and the Bucks, coming back and winning a championship, is making Aaron feel some kind of way this morning.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
21 Jul 2021 10:51
Wonder if Giannis showing unwavering support and love to Milwaukee and the Bucks, coming back and winning a championship, is making Aaron feel some kind of way this morning.
Definitely not.

You don't get to his stage by accident. And a simple NBA ship ain't changing that.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Labrev wrote:
paco wrote:

I mean totally different sports and circumstances. Who’s Giannis got to be mad about for missing a free throw? Did his team mates not dap him up prior to the shot in the right order?

Rodgers is typically mad about a missed block, a poorly run route, a missed call my the ref, etc. He’s a perfectionist.

But yes Giannis is a next level athlete and team mate. I thought the most sure bet in the world was him leaving for a super team when his time came but he stuck it out and won. Much respect to him for staying in a smaller market and with a lesser supporting cast. The Bucks aren’t trying to replace him either though.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Lots of people have said that Rodgers was a pr!ck *before* he came to Green Bay. Some said he had that attitude even as a rookie. I think having to sit behind Favre for a while and then being subjected to the enormous expectations of filling the shoes of a legend probably humbled him for a time, but I think he has since gone back to being his true self. That's part of the reason I'm hopeful that Giannis will go more the route of Kareem and continue to be a class act.

It's a little telling that some have responded to my post by talking about when his teammates are blameworthy, just like how this larger saga has nothing to do with his teams not being good enough, but people keep using it as a justification for what he's doing.

My post has nothing to do with how he treats teammates who screw up. It has to do with how Rodgers responds to adversity, e.g. his body language signaling defeat/surrender while winning is not out of reach, or this other passive-aggressive thing he does where he stands around making pissy faces and cursing things under his breath to himself. Cam Newton used to do the former quite a bit as a rookie until a vet set him straight. Somebody should have nipped that in the bud with Rodgers a while ago.

Brady does some of the pissy stuff, too, but he does not do the defeat signaling when his team still has a shot. If anything, he cranks it up and does some of his best work. That kinda makes up for the pissy stuff.
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
21 Jul 2021 11:40
Lots of people have said that Rodgers was a pr!ck *before* he came to Green Bay. Some said he had that attitude even as a rookie. I think having to sit behind Favre for a while and then being subjected to the enormous expectations of filling the shoes of a legend probably humbled him for a time, but I think he has since gone back to being his true self. That's part of the reason I'm hopeful that Giannis will go more the route of Kareem and continue to be a class act.

It's a little telling that some have responded to my post by talking about when his teammates are blameworthy, just like how this larger saga has nothing to do with his teams not being good enough, but people keep using it as a justification for what he's doing.

My post has nothing to do with how he treats teammates who screw up. It has to do with how Rodgers responds to adversity, e.g. his body language signaling defeat/surrender while winning is not out of reach, or this other passive-aggressive thing he does where he stands around making pissy faces and cursing things under his breath to himself. Cam Newton used to do the former quite a bit as a rookie until a vet set him straight. Somebody should have nipped that in the bud with Rodgers a while ago.

Brady does some of the pissy stuff, too, but he does not do the defeat signaling when his team still has a shot. If anything, he cranks it up and does some of his best work. That kinda makes up for the pissy stuff.
Yeah I agree. I honestly always feel people kind of revert to their original self after awhile. Like I changed in college, as most do, but then kind of reverted back to my old self after college and became more established.

As you stated, I think Rodgers was able to be controlled in his early days. Rodgers was not the leader of the 2010 team. He was the upstart QB on a great team and people started noticing the QB is really, really freaking good too.

Rodgers started becoming the face of the team after the 2011 season and by that time, there is nobody to really stand up to him. He is too big. He is too good and all the veterans were no more (Woodson and Driver left). And I felt as a result, the Packers were more boring teams by that time too. Until MLF showed up.

That changed everything.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I hate hate hate that I'm putting him here (or clicked on it in the first place). But what he says and who retweeted it does say something to the situation, and might clarify it in some people's minds.
RIP JustJeff