General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I think Patrick has been a top 5 run blocking center since he took over from Myers, ya have to wonder with Myers coming off IR does he start or become Patricks backup?

we'd be foolish not keep Turner, he's been very good at both pass pro and run blocking.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
06 Jan 2022 08:26
I think Patrick has been a top 5 run blocking center since he took over from Myers, ya have to wonder with Myers coming off IR does he start or become Patricks backup?

we'd be foolish not keep Turner, he's been very good at both pass pro and run blocking.
Worth noting that at the time of the draft, taking Myers over Creed Humphrey was a bit of a shock, and everyone said they'd be comparing them. Then Myers acquitted himself quite well and so everyone sort of forgot about it. Meanwhile, analysts are saying Humphrey is already a top-3 to 5 C in the league as a rookie.

I think we preferred Myers due to his size and run blocking, and I'm not saying it was a mistake. But the guy picked one slot later is healthy and balling out for another playoff team.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2022 08:29
Yoop wrote:

Worth noting that at the time of the draft, taking Myers over Creed Humphrey was a bit of a shock, and everyone said they'd be comparing them. Then Myers acquitted himself quite well and so everyone sort of forgot about it. Meanwhile, analysts are saying Humphrey is already a top-3 to 5 C in the league as a rookie.

I think we preferred Myers due to his size and run blocking, and I'm not saying it was a mistake. But the guy picked one slot later is healthy and balling out for another playoff team.
I remember that, plenty of draft bloggers gave us a negative with the Myers pick, and not many here, including myself thought Patrick would play this well, I give a lot of credit to our OL coach for getting our perceived backup players playing so well.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2022 08:29
Yoop wrote:

This has been on my mind a lot. Especially when I watch the Chiefs play.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Myers was also balling out before the injury, so it's really tough to say that one pick was better than the other when the circumstances aren't the same.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I guess I just have a vastly different memory and perception of Josh Meyers than this board.

I remember postive news during August and good praise from Rodgers. I also remember him playing only 4 games and would label them as "okay games" and justifying I was used to Corey Linsley so cut the guy some slack. I also remember some "chew outs" from Rodgers and rookie mistakes.

So I remember Meyers being okay but clearly not to the level that Creed Humphrey has been playing this year.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
06 Jan 2022 09:49
I guess I just have a vastly different memory and perception of Josh Meyers than this board.

I remember postive news during August and good praise from Rodgers. I also remember him playing only 4 games and would label them as "okay games" and justifying I was used to Corey Linsley so cut the guy some slack. I also remember some "chew outs" from Rodgers and rookie mistakes.

So I remember Meyers being okay but clearly not to the level that Creed Humphrey has been playing this year.
Those chew-outs were mostly a play here or there. Rodgers also starting praising him for correcting those and continuing to get better. I agree, we didn't get enough of him to have a definitive opinion on him yet. But he was definitely trending the right way.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
06 Jan 2022 09:49

I think you put too much stock in the chew outs, which were only for a few plays where he made a mistake, not games or poor play as a whole. It was even said that the chew outs were not because of egregious mistakes, but because the expectations were so high and he was expected to be "perfect." He did well for only playing 4 rookie games to start the year. It would be interesting to see what the Humphrey takes were in early October.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I'm surprised too that the "chew outs" are the only things that people are responding too. I just literally tried to bring out all the information I could remember about Meyers. Good and bad.

By and large I, at the time, thought he was doing okay. Nothing terrible. Nothing great or something to be too excited about. Just that he was decent for a rookie who clearly didn't have the same snapping chemistry with Rodgers to get free plays.

But yet this board seems to keep talking about how great or how good he was becoming which I think was not present based on the 4 games we saw. And not that this was a bad thing....it was 4 games. We just have zero information.

If I remember right, he struggled NO's, played well likely the 2nd half of DET, played decent vs SF (though the ball got out FAST), and then played the Steelers without Heyward.

It's okay to say jury is still out.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

For a rookie to come in and replace linsley and not be awful in his first few starts, is a great sign of good things to come in the future for the player. It takes time to build chemistry with the QB, and the NFL game is a whole nother level than college.

Meyers may not have been perfect, but he came in and held his own...that’s a tremendous sign.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
06 Jan 2022 10:14
For a rookie to come in and replace linsley and not be awful in his first few starts, is a great sign of good things to come in the future for the player. It takes time to build chemistry with the QB, and the NFL game is a whole nother level than college.

Meyers may not have been perfect, but he came in and held his own...that’s a tremendous sign.
The issue is not whether or not the arrow is pointing in the right direction with Myers--and there very well may be reasons why he fits us better or Creed fits the Chiefs better.

The discussion is that the Packers and the Chiefs both selected a rookie C in the second round and a rookie RG on day 3 and the consensus was that the guy the Chiefs picked was the top C option available, and to this point he has played better; while also playing with an elite QB on a good offense and next to a mid-round rookie RG.

Though their rookie RG is like a top 50 draft talent who had a heart issue that probably took him off of a lot of NFL boards and so he fell late in the draft and has also been a great player right away. Both players they selected in this case were selected after the Packer pick and have played better, as rookies, than the Packer picks.

Anyway, like I said, the jury will always be out on first-year players. But everyone thought Creed Humphrey was the better player and the better draft pick option. And to date, he has been. And the Packers took Myers instead, one pick earlier. It's a noteworthy story to monitor, not a crushing indictment of anything.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 06 Jan 2022 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I remember it as him being talked about as a top 10 center in the league before he went out.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

WOW, you guys sure have great memory's about several plays 3 months ago about a rookie center, I doubt any of you knew Patrick was a top 3 league center run blocking up till just a game or two back, I know I didn't till I ran across a PFF stat on it a month ago.

the selection of Myers over Humphrey reminded me of when Ted waited to take Lacy instead of jumping ahead of Pitts to take ???? ( can't remember the kids name) both where considered can't miss players, one a bruiser style back, the other a more versatile RB, I think it may be the same with these centers

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2022 10:19
Anyway, like I said, the jury will always be out on first-year players. But everyone thought Creed Humphrey was the better player and the better draft pick option. And to date, he has been. And the Packers took Myers instead, one pick earlier. It's a noteworthy story to monitor, not a crushing indictment of anything.
I see the evaluation as incomplete due to injury. What were people saying about Creed after the first month of the season?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Just a guess, I bet the heart issue just made the kid basically ineligible to be drafted by the pack. If my memory serves correctly, almost any time a player comes in with a major red flag whether medical or behavioral, the packers usually say no thanks and choose the safer option. Plus, they had already lost the OL draft pick who basically quit due to different things. I bet they valued taking someone with as little red flags as possible. I like Meyers.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
06 Jan 2022 10:35
Just a guess, I bet the heart issue just made the kid basically ineligible to be drafted by the pack. If my memory serves correctly, almost any time a player comes in with a major red flag whether medical or behavioral, the packers usually say no thanks and choose the safer option. Plus, they had already lost the OL draft pick who basically quit due to different things. I bet they valued taking someone with as little red flags as possible. I like Meyers.
Oh, 100%, Trey Smith was not on the Packers' draft board; wasn't on many team's boards. He's a top 50 talent that got drafted in the 5th round and his immediate success isn't surprising from a talent persepctive. Smith over Newman is hands-down better for Smith short-term, but the Packers may be happy with their long-term situation between those two.

But I probably shouldn't have even brought him into it; I just wanted to highlight that both rookie centers, Humphrey and Myers, are playing on high-level offenses for playoff teams with elite QBs and next to rookie RGs; the rookie RG comparison brought me a bit off track.

Anyway, Humphrey has been great. Myers has been good. Long term, we'll evaluate and follow it. Myers is MUCH bigger than Humphrey and that seems to matter to us. Humphrey and Myers are in different systems and that probably matters, too. By the end of next year, hopefully it will be that the moves worked out great for both teams.

It just seems worth mentioning that the guy everyone thought we would/should take, who went with the next pick, has been playing out of his mind, and is considered closer to Pro Bowl level play than All-Rookie level play.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I wonder if Bradbury sucking in MN motvated the Packers to not like smaller Centers too.

But yes. At this point it is just a monitoring thing. Will be intresting to see if Meyers starts again. At the least, I am hopeful we start at least getting some depth pieces back. I'd prefer our answer on the Oline to not be Ben Braeden for every position that gets hurt moving forward.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Am I correct in saying, despite a 15 win season in 2011, the Packers have never had a 14 win regular season?

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
06 Jan 2022 10:52
Am I correct in saying, despite a 15 win season in 2011, the Packers have never had a 14 win regular season?
I don't see one.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
06 Jan 2022 10:52
Correct.