Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
27 Nov 2023 16:04
Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 15:49
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Nov 2023 14:49
*Tweet*
just asking, but who does these graphs
Look closely:

Thanks Starks, but how does he know with any certainty about these percentages? it looks like a pass formation? it's a 21 set, what's he go by? with so much play action, 2 TE set can be both. :idn:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 16:48
go pak go wrote:
27 Nov 2023 16:13
Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 15:49

just asking, but who does these graphs, cause this doesn't hold up to my eye test? does he not count when our OL man are pushed right back to Love, or when Love has to step up cause our tackles can't anchor, I see these kinds of things a doz times a game, and according to this graph we are one of the best blocking OL's in the league, and we both know thats not true
Your big qualifier is "when pass expecatation is greater than 70%"
thanks, but does that mean when our ol men are pretty sure we'll pass they will block better? when someone crunches the numbers like this using % of this or that, what is your normal reaction? I know your a numbers guy, and analytics and all that, my reaction is that there trying to hard to convince me of something, specially when it doesn't coincide to what I'am seeing, which has been for most of this season Love avoiding pass rushers, either coming clean, loping the T's or being pushed right back on top of him :idn:
I think a couple of things:

1. You don't watch other games to the level you watch Packers games and so you don't see how bad other Olinemen are

2. You are judging our Oline compared to historical Olines. 2023 is known to be poor on Olinemen and great for pass rushers and it shows. Scoring league wide is down in 2023 compared to prior years

3. We have some bad games in that "Detroit - MN stretch" where it was really, really bad. But we also have a stretch from week 1 - week 3 and week 9 - week 12 that were really good and Love's performance shows it.

I think by and large our Oline has been decent and most importantly has improved greatly the last month. Our run blocking is atrocious.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Just bought tickets to the finale. For the vets and first responders on here look into tickets on GovX. There’s a lot of really cheap options.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

If you want an updated look at how the Packers’ Day 1 and Day 2 2024 selections would look like if the season ended today, here it is:

1st round: 13th overall pick
2nd round (NYJ): 40th
2nd round: 45th
3rd round: 77th
3rd round (BUF): 80th

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Should be getting a 4th comp pick for Lazard too.

I think also likely a 6th and 7th.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
27 Nov 2023 17:32
Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 16:48
go pak go wrote:
27 Nov 2023 16:13

Your big qualifier is "when pass expecatation is greater than 70%"
thanks, but does that mean when our ol men are pretty sure we'll pass they will block better? when someone crunches the numbers like this using % of this or that, what is your normal reaction? I know your a numbers guy, and analytics and all that, my reaction is that there trying to hard to convince me of something, specially when it doesn't coincide to what I'am seeing, which has been for most of this season Love avoiding pass rushers, either coming clean, loping the T's or being pushed right back on top of him :idn:
I think a couple of things:

1. You don't watch other games to the level you watch Packers games and so you don't see how bad other Olinemen are

2. You are judging our Oline compared to historical Olines. 2023 is known to be poor on Olinemen and great for pass rushers and it shows. Scoring league wide is down in 2023 compared to prior years

3. We have some bad games in that "Detroit - MN stretch" where it was really, really bad. But we also have a stretch from week 1 - week 3 and week 9 - week 12 that were really good and Love's performance shows it.

I think by and large our Oline has been decent and most importantly has improved greatly the last month. Our run blocking is atrocious.
obviously he grades us compared to other teams, your right I don't watch as much football any more, however I've watched most of our games twice, and the goal from even the bears was to design a free rusher, and other then several games those rushers either sacked Love or forced him out of the pocket, so it's for me to accept that not only do we block well, the rush has been slow and consequently Love has had plenty of time.

again every game we see our OL (different OL) pushed back into Love, true on some it's Loves fault for not navigating the pocket better or a bit late to trigger,, we see edge rushers looping the tackles, just because Love avoids them or gets rid of the ball, the pressure was still on him.

agree the last couple weeks the pass pro is better, Lafleur designed a better plan to stop guys like Hutchinson as well.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Snapshot of the OLine the last 8 weeks. Total PFF Pressures:
image.png
image.png (10.71 KiB) Viewed 480 times
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Nov 2023 13:13
Snapshot of the OLine the last 8 weeks. Total PFF Pressures:
image.png
Quite the difference in the 2 Lion games. :clap: :clap:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Doesn't include Chargers or Lions.

Also found that Packers gave up a total of 2 pressures against Chicago in game 1. 7 total pressures given up against NO.

Weeks 2 and 3 for Walker:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I'm old enough to remember when Gary was thought to be a draft risk partly because he lacked effort and took plays off.
RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

2010 Super Bowl Champion linebacker Desmond Bishop #55 will be autographing items in the Atrium on Dec 2nd. It should be on Packers.com somewhere.

GO PACK GO!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
29 Nov 2023 07:37
2010 Super Bowl Champion linebacker Desmond Bishop #55 will be autographing items in the Atrium on Dec 2nd. It should be on Packers.com somewhere.

GO PACK GO!
Are you going to get him to autograph your nap sack?

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Nov 2023 13:53

Also found that Packers gave up a total of 2 pressures against Chicago in game 1. 7 total pressures given up against NO.

I new this was coming, just keep defending porus OL play, I don't know what constitutes a pressure from PFF, and I wont pay to find out, what I do know is what I see, and that is Love avoiding pressure to often, better lately sure, but this ol still needs up grading talent.

this is from one month ago
Jenkins, Runyan, Walker and Myers rank in the bottom half of their position groups in terms of run blocking.

So, to recap, the Packers' offensive line doesn't pass block well and hasn’t been able to gain any traction in the run game, either.

Walker has allowed two sacks and 13 pressures in five starts, according to Pro Football Focus. Of 58 offensive tackles with 50 percent playing time, he ranks 41st in its pass-blocking efficiency, which measures sacks, hits and hurries allowed per pass-protecting snap.

so he must have improved drastically to now be mentioned as top 5 tackles in the league, however on Thanksgiving we see rushers loop him and Love having to avoid that rusher with the heave to Watson

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/off ... pectations

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Offensive lines usually get better as they play together more. I have noticed that the OL is playing stunts much better now than they were earlier this season. Opponents were ripping us up with stunts early this season. That no longer seems to be the case.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
29 Nov 2023 09:01
I new this was coming, just keep defending porus OL play, I don't know what constitutes a pressure from PFF, and I wont pay to find out, what I do know is what I see, and that is Love avoiding pressure to often, better lately sure, but this ol still needs up grading talent.
lol yoop he's just presenting data, no need to get up in arms about it.

I agree OL play needs to be better in certain areas, but it could be a lot worse; it is nice to know we are in better shape than most.

Or let me put it in a way you will surely understand: R-E-L-A-X.... relags! :mrgreen:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Yoop wrote:
29 Nov 2023 09:01
Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Nov 2023 13:53

this is from one month ago
Jenkins, Runyan, Walker and Myers rank in the bottom half of their position groups in terms of run blocking.

So, to recap, the Packers' offensive line doesn't pass block well and hasn’t been able to gain any traction in the run game, either.

Walker has allowed two sacks and 13 pressures in five starts, according to Pro Football Focus. Of 58 offensive tackles with 50 percent playing time, he ranks 41st in its pass-blocking efficiency, which measures sacks, hits and hurries allowed per pass-protecting snap.

so he must have improved drastically to now be mentioned as top 5 tackles in the league, however on Thanksgiving we see rushers loop him and Love having to avoid that rusher with the heave to Watson

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/off ... pectations
I feel like there's no pleasing you, Yoop. I'm not sure how anyone would not expect there to be LOTS of opportunity for the youngest team in the league to improve. Also, that link lost me at the title. Clearly the writer is also immune to the fact that this is the youngest team in football. Not meeting expectations? The team lost their all-pro left tackle for the season week 1, my expectation after losing your best lineman and most veteran player in your most critical spot on the line on the youngest team in the league might cause some regression in the line. My expectation would be that AT BEST it was going to take some time to get the line sorted out again. Now that things are indeed improving, you're complaining about 5 weeks ago. The line has been playing together better, through injuries and is starting to look good and we want to $hit on them for how they looked over a month ago? But hey, on the bright side you didn't bring up receivers once in the thread so you got that going for you, which is nice.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Jordan Love is 12th in pressure percentage per PFR:
image.png
image.png (118.04 KiB) Viewed 342 times

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
29 Nov 2023 09:44
I feel like there's no pleasing you, Yoop. I'm not sure how anyone would not expect there to be LOTS of opportunity for the youngest team in the league to improve. Also, that link lost me at the title. Clearly the writer is also immune to the fact that this is the youngest team in football. Not meeting expectations? The team lost their all-pro left tackle for the season week 1, my expectation after losing your best lineman and most veteran player in your most critical spot on the line on the youngest team in the league might cause some regression in the line. My expectation would be that AT BEST it was going to take some time to get the line sorted out again. Now that things are indeed improving, you're complaining about 5 weeks ago. The line has been playing together better, through injuries and is starting to look good and we want to $hit on them for how they looked over a month ago? But hey, on the bright side you didn't bring up receivers once in the thread so you got that going for you, which is nice.
for one thing I'am pleased with how the line has improved, and that link opened fine for me, and this line isn't full of rookies either, over all it ranks between 14th or 19th right now depending who ya read, and just because a pressure isn't recorded doesn't mean the block was that good, simply that it didn't produce a pressure.

why would I mention WR's? I try to comment about issues of concern at present or at least the present season, Our GM's finally did something to correct the WR position after 8 years of neglect.

any time a QB feels he has to move to avoid a rusher, imo it's a pressure, on the pass to Watson where Love has to move up to make that throw because the rusher was looping Walker, imo thats a pressure, I'am sure PFF didn't record that.

last year PFF graded Bakhtiari zero pressures in one game, yet I watched him beaten for one, point is no graders are perfect and that includes PFF.

Walker by the way is our worst run blocker, no way he's the answer for us at LT, unless he's improved.

I get so tired of people defending what to me has been a very inconsistent OL, it's never really been good at run blocking, our outside stretch runs owe credence to the blocking of Lewis, inside on short yardage runs we have seen our OL blown off the ball, lots of times.

my hope is that we hit OL hard in this coming draft.

and I also threw away the rose colored glasses back around 2016.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »