2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Feb 2023 21:21
Backthepack4ever wrote:
09 Feb 2023 20:52
Rice. I man idk what's not to like. I get small school I get doubting some traits before we actually see the numbers but the kid ...1 produced. 2... ;separated and 3 my god hands catcher and attacks the ball. The technician and getting the ball. I'm not asking for him in the first round top 15 I'm saying this kid Adam thielen and maybe more I'll take that all day everyday I'm that hyped about this guy. You add hon to what we believe is room is and wow Jordan love is full of options
I disagree that he separates; even against lower level schools there is a TON of contested catch action. He sometimes was able to run by the North Texas or Lamar or Navy CB, but mostly, he's sitting in a zone, which is nice, or he's in a jump ball situation; and he's good at them. I just don't know that he consistently separates against NFL competition and I saw mixed reviews in that regard at the Senior Bowl.

Like I said, good player; has a role. Great hands. But he's not the kind of big (though he is physical) that you can live and die on contested catches in the NFL. Maybe I'm very wrong. But I just don't see consistent separation. Now if he falls to Day 3, I scoop him up at 115 in a heartbeat. I suppose he's a mid third round kind a guy for me.
You are tough in a mid class which we agree 🤣. All good and great to see you posting again.
This is a kid I'll die ona hill by and so is cb Clark Phillips some have him late 1 some day 3. He's top 75 easy for me. Play maker
Last edited by Backthepack4ever on 10 Feb 2023 06:54, edited 1 time in total.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Feb 2023 10:37
The way I’ll defend my stance on the first round is that when you try to do player comps to past prospects coming out, you’re looking at guess who went significantly later; like 10 to 25 picks later.

It’s evident in WRs, in TEs, in EDGE…

I think Tyree, for instance, is a lower quality prospect than Gary. He’s older, took to his 5th year to break out, had similar size, and will likely be slightly less athletic. Gary went 12th and Tyree is being locked at 5-8. Similar argument about Murphy.

Johnson and Addison are the lowest quality “top WRs in the draft” we’ve seen in ages.

The second-tier CBs strike me the same. We have 3 guys I really like in Witherspoon, Gonzales, and Porter; after that I see guys that are mostly traits—the kind of Kevin King gambles you should take on round two.

I know there are cliches, but there also really are draft classes that yield a bunch of pro bowlers, and classes that bring a decent amount of washouts or the successes are solid players.

This draft feels to me like it has more early risk than average. More boom or bust. The type of risks that usually give you a discount in draft stock.

That said, I see a LOT of those “solid guys unlikely to be pro bowlers.” Second round types, to me.

The correlation of ceiling and certainty has very few high ranking players. The middle of the draft feels like a lot of ceiling but risky or safe but mediocre.

I’d be pretty surprised of Johnson ever leads his NFL team in receiving yards. He’s a complementary piece for me, not a true 1. Michael Mayer isn’t going to be top 5 in TE receiving yards. Maybe I’m wrong. But I’m saying what I see.

All that said, the *deepest* positions in this draft are edge, TE, and probably CB. Two of those net needs. And there are intriguing safeties throughout. Another need. So we can have a great draft class. I just don’t love the value of this class at the top.
Edge and wrs will go. They always do. Too much value in the position.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

If arod is here hyatt or jsn would be nice at 15

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
10 Feb 2023 04:36
I'm open to a WR with a top 50 pick with Aaron being here or not.

I don't really know what to think about Hyatt but man he does look to be in another dimension in his highlights. Having two guys with insane speed could give opposing defenses nightmares. It would force to keep the safeties back and we could then run the ball consistently in 6 - 7 man boxes.

I do get tempted by it a lot.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
10 Feb 2023 11:56
bud fox wrote:
I only want a WR in Round 1 if Aaron is not here, not to help Love but solely to spite Rodgers. 8-)
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

go pak go wrote:
bud fox wrote:

I don't really know what to think about Hyatt but man he does look to be in another dimension in his highlights. Having two guys with insane speed could give opposing defenses nightmares. It would force to keep the safeties back and we could then run the ball consistently in 6 - 7 man boxes.

Hyatt as an athlete is ridiculous, as you said another dimension. I don't see him lasting past 20th pick. Guy caught 5 tds and over 200 yards in a game against bama.

JSN has the sluggish running style but he always gets open at the catch point. Really smart receiver, good hands, good cod.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I fully expect us to invest in the offense if Rodgers is gone. Gutenbumst desperately needs Love to end up a pro bowl QB. It’s going to look so bad if he’s garbage and Jalen Hurts went slightly later. If he doesn’t look good we would have blown a SB opportunity by drafting him and we also didn’t get the right guy.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
10 Feb 2023 13:58
go pak go wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Hyatt as an athlete is ridiculous, as you said another dimension. I don't see him lasting past 20th pick. Guy caught 5 tds and over 200 yards in a game against bama.

JSN has the sluggish running style but he always gets open at the catch point. Really smart receiver, good hands, good cod.
Hyatt is hard because we don't really know how he is as a route runner. I actually think Hyatt would struggle with Rodgers because he wouldn't be where he needs to be and likely needs a lot of grooming.

I expect Hyatt to be used on simple plays, getting schemed open and deep shots.

I actually think Hyatt is a better fit for a guy like Love who will be more motivated to develop long term chemistry and grow with the receiver. I also agree that I think Hyatt will be plucked in the top 25. I just can't see more than 25 teams pass on that speed.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

go pak go wrote:
10 Feb 2023 15:58
bud fox wrote:
10 Feb 2023 13:58
go pak go wrote:

Hyatt is hard because we don't really know how he is as a route runner. I actually think Hyatt would struggle with Rodgers because he wouldn't be where he needs to be and likely needs a lot of grooming.

I expect Hyatt to be used on simple plays, getting schemed open and deep shots.

I actually think Hyatt is a better fit for a guy like Love who will be more motivated to develop long term chemistry and grow with the receiver. I also agree that I think Hyatt will be plucked in the top 25. I just can't see more than 25 teams pass on that speed.
I think it's a misconception because he caught a lot of deep balls.

Different story to Watson. Hyatt was at a good school with a good qb. He produced, he will have ridiculous combine numbers that show up on film.

I think he will be really good in a Jefferson role.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I have to let up or maybe even mea culpa on Zay Flowers.

Two things happened:
  • 1) EVERYONE I'm reading/hearing from thinks he's a size exception (in that he will be highly productive despite his size)
  • 2) I looked at Elijah Moore (5' 9 1/2", 178), Marquise Brown (5' 9 3/8", 166), and DeSean Jackson (5' 9 3/4", 169) and realized that 183 is not overly thin at these diminutive heights. Especially when you look at DeVonta Smith (6' 0 1/4", 170) or this year's Jordan Addison listed around 180.

So with his size being sub-par, but not like a problem for me, I'm ready to be on board for him, like I was for Moore. Still not at 15 or anything.

P.S. when discussing how much worse this draft is than the previous year on his podcast with Mel Kiper, Todd McShay said he had 14 first-round grades. I couldn't have scripted it better :lol:
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 11 Feb 2023 08:57, edited 1 time in total.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Feb 2023 20:52
I have to let up or maybe even mea culpa on Zay Jones.

Two things happened:
  • 1) EVERYONE I'm reading/hearing from thinks he's a size exception (in that he will be highly productive despite his size)
  • 2) I looked at Elijah Moore (5' 9 1/2", 178), Marquise Brown (5' 9 3/8", 166), and DeSean Jackson (5' 9 3/4", 169) and realized that 183 is not overly thin at these diminutive heights. Especially when you look at DeVonta Smith (6' 0 1/4", 170) or this year's Jordan Addison listed around 180.

So with his size being sub-par, but not like a problem for me, I'm ready to be on board for him, like I was for Moore. Still not at 15 or anything.

P.S. when discussing how much worse this draft is than the previous year on his podcast with Mel Kiper, Todd McShay said he had 14 first-round grades. I couldn't have scripted it better :lol:
I heard that podcast this morning too and was like damn. I really am that guy.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:

Two things happened:

I’m assuming you mean Zay Flowers. But they always come around. :lol:
YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Feb 2023 10:37
BF004 wrote:
03 Feb 2023 10:12
Here's my way too early Packer big board.
I hate it :lol:

But actually... you would draft Zay Flowers ahead of Bryan Branch?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
31 Jan 2023 12:36
I was really warming up to Zay Flowers, kid is electric, fast, great catcher.

But Flowers came in at 5’9 1/4″ and 182 pounds at the Shrine Bowl. Someone will likely be willing to bite long before I'd be okay with that size. Hate being that guy, but not sure if can be in play for 15 for me at that size. Gunna be a tough one for me.

I definitely haven't dug into everyone yet, but I might be ready to call him the best route runner in the class so far. Have a hard time seeing anyone doing it better than this.

Game just seems to move slow for him, smart player.

Kind of in the same boat with Josh Downs, maybe a step down. I'd be more comfortable with Downs around 25-40 and Flowers around 15 though.
I actually love how he’d slot in with Doubs and Watson. In terms of building a basketball team, as the say, he’d really fill us out. Can live in the slot, but can also be really effective outside.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
11 Feb 2023 07:33
YoHoChecko wrote:
I’m assuming you mean Zay Flowers. But they always come around. :lol:
YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Feb 2023 10:37
BF004 wrote:
03 Feb 2023 10:12
Here's my way too early Packer big board.
I hate it :lol:

But actually... you would draft Zay Flowers ahead of Bryan Branch?
Hahaha whoops. Yes, Flowers.

I still wouldn’t draft him ahead of Branch. In a normal year I’d put him in the 40s. In this draft, the 20s creep into possibility.

Then again, Jahan Dotson went 16th and is probably less explosive. But I wouldn’t have done that (he has looked good though)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I thought about looking into attending The Draft in Kansas City. Have a feeling it might be quite unbearable now.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
13 Feb 2023 16:11
I thought about looking into attending The Draft in Kansas City. Have a feeling it might be quite unbearable now.
All of my "lovable" fan groups are starting to turn unbearable.

Bills
Chiefs
Bengals
and soon the Lions
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
13 Feb 2023 16:05
SEVENTY-THREE DAYS FEELS UNBEARABLY LONG?!?!?

The gap between the combine and draft is always the worst for me. Why does it take so long? What are we waiting for? (Also I know they do Pro Days but a more condensed schedule would make the combine the only/best option and get more people to do their workouts then rather than schedule the pro days).

Anyway, excited to get some times and numbers on the rest of these players. And to complain every day about how slow the league is to post the numbers.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Feb 2023 19:58
BF004 wrote:
13 Feb 2023 16:05
SEVENTY-THREE DAYS FEELS UNBEARABLY LONG?!?!?

The gap between the combine and draft is always the worst for me. Why does it take so long? What are we waiting for? (Also I know they do Pro Days but a more condensed schedule would make the combine the only/best option and get more people to do their workouts then rather than schedule the pro days).

Anyway, excited to get some times and numbers on the rest of these players. And to complain every day about how slow the league is to post the numbers.
I was actually surprised it was coming up that quickly. It will go quick.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I feel light years ahead of last year at this point too.

Just can’t get into draft mode until the Packers finish their usual annual playoff elimination game.