2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
14 Jan 2024 21:25
Packers can now get pick 25, 29, 31, or 32nd pick in the draft.
The 6 slots were worth it for the long term growth of the team.

but let's just get 32 already. :lombardi:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
Always sabotaging themselves with those low draft slots… :mrgreen:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
14 Jan 2024 21:44
BF004 wrote:
shoulda tanked in week 9 like wally said.

we could have gotten Caleb Williams :thwap:
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Needs: CB, S, IOL, RB. Only the first is a premium position, yet it's also one where this draft is very deep. I can see us just taking the most high-ceiling, premium athlete at CB, but I am also in favor of making a luxury pick; we have so few needs that we can actually afford to make one.

I am kinda into that monster lineman, Fuaga (sp?). It would be pretty great to have a monstrous road-grader in the trenches, even if we are pretty solid on the OL.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I had been leaning OT as the teams #1 value pick. Not anymore.

We are at the stage where we can truly go BPA and start managing our cap a little better. Replacing Campbell will probably be a huge step. You can get away with drafting a mid tier guy and developing him a season.

I think getting another edge that can play the run well would be huge for replacing Preston.

I was all for moving on for Jones but he’s on a tear. How can you?

I think maybe the biggest value pick for us in the 1st round would be a CB with there being no real clear 1st round C.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yeah, and the beauty of it is there don't appear to be any big immediate needs. While I agree all the players you ([mention]lupedafiasco[/mention]) highlighted for replacement could use an upgrade, I don't think any of them are panic pick level needs. We either a) already have a serviceable replacement on the roster or b) they're still under contract next year and can hold down the fort while their replacement is developed.

I was just looking at our 2024 FA class and none of them are irreplaceable. Sure, there are a few I want to hold onto but it's not the end of the world if they seek greener (more lucrative) pastures elsewhere.

Like you said, the Packers can continue to afford to get the cap right without sacrificing too much in roster talent. Their corps guys are all under contract at least another year and there is a ton of draft capital stored up. It's such a fantastic position to be in!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

CB is a need, so is safety and ILB, we saw what happens last night once the pass rush lets up even a little, garbage points thats true, but our coverage relies on pass rush forcing the QB to hurry, Savages pick was a result of pressure.

Awesome game minus that 4th quarter prevent style defense that never prevents anything, personally I was hoping for a shut out, I cracked a wild cherry soda pop :lol: when we had them by the throat at 27 zipo, nado, dead to the gills, nothing, was hoping that would last :lol:

Love handled everything the cowboys threw at him, and made them pay when they blitzed, tight window throws, pass rush in his face, he stood tall and delivered.

If I had a horn I'd blow it, I predicted a 2 score win, hell I predicted a double digit win season, what I've seen exceeded all my expectations, offensively I believe the team is in good hands for years to come :clap: :clap:

Our A game can compete with any team, hopefully we have everyone healthy and bring it next week against the Niners.

GO PACK GO :aok:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

APB wrote:
15 Jan 2024 07:21
Yeah, and the beauty of it is there don't appear to be any big immediate needs. While I agree all the players you (@lupedafiasco) highlighted for replacement could use an upgrade, I don't think any of them are panic pick level needs. We either a) already have a serviceable replacement on the roster or b) they're still under contract next year and can hold down the fort while their replacement is developed.

I was just looking at our 2024 FA class and none of them are irreplaceable. Sure, there are a few I want to hold onto but it's not the end of the world if they seek greener (more lucrative) pastures elsewhere.

Like you said, the Packers can continue to afford to get the cap right without sacrificing too much in roster talent. Their corps guys are all under contract at least another year and there is a ton of draft capital stored up. It's such a fantastic position to be in!
The elephant in the room is Bakh. 39 mil cap hit, 19 mil dead cap. And if he returns he might not be better than Walker.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I don’t think that’s an elephant. I think it’s a fire gone conclusion that Bak is gone. I wouldn’t bring him back even if he took a $20M pay cut. He’s not reliable. He was great player. Loved the guy but at this point the best thing for him is to retire.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Jan 2024 10:28
I don’t think that’s an elephant. I think it’s a fire gone conclusion that Bak is gone. I wouldn’t bring him back even if he took a $20M pay cut. He’s not reliable. He was great player. Loved the guy but at this point the best thing for him is to retire.
I think you first need to see if that last procedure did the trick. If he’s past the knee issue, roll with him. If his knee even begins to swell up during camp, he gotta go. Unfortunate but if it can’t hold up, he’s done.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Gute can earn a few more stone cold negotiator points if we somehow flip Bak for a pick.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

APB wrote:
15 Jan 2024 10:39
[q
I think you first need to see if that last procedure did the trick. If he’s past the knee issue, roll with him.
I disagree, giving Walker further experience to develop into a good multi year starter, or finding out that we need to upgrade over him, is more important than getting one more good season out of Bakh.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Labrev wrote:
15 Jan 2024 12:17
APB wrote:
15 Jan 2024 10:39
[q
I think you first need to see if that last procedure did the trick. If he’s past the knee issue, roll with him.
I disagree, giving Walker further experience to develop into a good multi year starter, or finding out that we need to upgrade over him, is more important than getting one more good season out of Bakh.
Agree. Bak can't be counted on. Go with the young guy who is playing great. This is 3 years since the injury. How many tomes was it thought he was going to becable to play?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Agree, Bak gotta go.

Flood the OL room with about 3 rookies again this year.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Jan 2024 10:28
It really is a shame about Bak. When healthy he is a perennial All-Pro at a crucial position. Thankfully Walker seems to be rounding into a nice LT. IF Bak's knee heals and he can play it might be a good idea to trade him. Elite LTs are as rare as hen's teeth and some team will pay handsomely for him if he can resume his career.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

My hope is we can trade him to the Jets.

Walker is playing really well.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

image.png
image.png (68.22 KiB) Viewed 394 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ooooo [mention]BF004[/mention] nice

Jordan Morgan and Trey Benson are definitely two of my early fave fits

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Didn’t get through it all. But figured someone you would like to scroll through.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

go pak go wrote:
14 Jan 2024 21:56
APB wrote:
14 Jan 2024 21:44
BF004 wrote:
shoulda tanked in week 9 like wally said.

we could have gotten Caleb Williams :thwap:
I wasn't the only one. But Caleb Williams = Bo Callahan, so no. We need a true #1 WR and could have used a nice and high pick. Though Wicks may become a WR1.