JJ Watt

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

texas wrote:
28 Feb 2021 02:19
BF004 wrote:
26 Feb 2021 11:25
I'd give JJ a small lean over Z right now, but its close.
Z is like top 3 at his position

Z wasn't even close to top 3 at his position in 2020.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
28 Feb 2021 07:52
texas wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Nor was JJ average. Not sure what glasses you have on Tex, but I assure you mine are not Wisconsin.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Feb 2021 23:23
BF004 wrote:
27 Feb 2021 22:16
Why is it so scary to push Rodgers money back, but it’s a grand idea to do it for Preston?
Huh?
Not sure how else to really phrase that question.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
texas wrote:
BF004 wrote:

who was, (Garrett) the point is sack numbers, and pressures where down from the previous year for most defenders, I expect that to be a result of less off season training, Z played better late season, probably the same for other pass rushers as well

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
28 Feb 2021 07:58
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Feb 2021 23:23
BF004 wrote:
27 Feb 2021 22:16
Why is it so scary to push Rodgers money back, but it’s a grand idea to do it for Preston?
Huh?
Not sure how else to really phrase that question.
Are you talking about the June 1st cut for Preston? Has someone been talking about restructuring Preston Smith?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Foosball wrote:
27 Feb 2021 09:28
Interestingly, the reason Watt may not sign with Green Bay is the Jordan Love pick. Something I hadn’t considered until I read the most recent SI article.

Watt probably desires 2 things; a long term deal (4 years) and to win a championship.

JJ’s agent may figure that Rodgers won’t be around in a year or two.

:thwap: :bkw: :messedup:
At his age and his injury history I don't see any club offering JJ a long term deal.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’m totally fine with 4 years.

A way to spread out the caps hits a bit as well and who knows. Generational talents like him often find a way to stay on the field long after their counterparts succumb to old age. Woodson and Peppers for one.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
texas wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Z was second team All-Pro and among LBs was 3rd in sacks behind TJ Watt and tied with Reddick with 12.5 sacks last season. Last year JJ had 5 sacks in total.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Z walked into some easy sacks this year. It happens. Sack numbers go up and down and don't always tell the whole story. Someone posted double-team numbers, though, and no pass rushers in the entire NFL were blocked by multiple players more than Z and Watt. I think they could be new best friends.

We played in Houston last year and I took note of how JJ Watt played. He didn't have much of an impact on the game, but replay after replay you could see where our focus was as an offense. You could also see, as we ran away with the game, their entire defense mail it in while he continued to battle his ass off. I want that. For our defense, which has seemed to mail it in a bit themselves when the going gets tough (and the Smith's have been main culprits), I think that sort of thing is contagious.

Read More. Post Less.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

NCF wrote:
28 Feb 2021 10:09
Z walked into some easy sacks this year. It happens. Sack numbers go up and down and don't always tell the whole story. Someone posted double-team numbers, though, and no pass rushers in the entire NFL were blocked by multiple players more than Z and Watt. I think they could be new best friends.

We played in Houston last year and I took note of how JJ Watt played. He didn't have much of an impact on the game, but replay after replay you could see where our focus was as an offense. You could also see, as we ran away with the game, their entire defense mail it in while he continued to battle his ass off. I want that. For our defense, which has seemed to mail it in a bit themselves when the going gets tough (and the Smith's have been main culprits), I think that sort of thing is contagious.
See this is a good point that could get me to change my tone a bit. I still think his mentality is not what we need, and he is clearly an injury liability, but it could be the case that is recent average play could be considerably impacted by other teams double-teaming him. I would have figured Aaron Donald would have been #1 even though he is interior.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

texas wrote:
28 Feb 2021 14:36
NCF wrote:

See this is a good point that could get me to change my tone a bit. I still think his mentality is not what we need, and he is clearly an injury liability, but it could be the case that is recent average play could be considerably impacted by other teams double-teaming him. I would have figured Aaron Donald would have been #1 even though he is interior.
A lot of it depends too how much better you are copmared to your peers.

The defense for the Texans sucked on that front outside of JJ. So it was pretty easy to focus on JJ because nobody else on the Texans would have made you pay for it.

Same happened with us honestly. Preston sucked. Lowry sucked. Clark sucked until mid-November. Keke and Adams were injured.

Gary was really the only player who made opponents pay (again until Clark got back to form in December) but Gary only played like 40 snaps a game.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
28 Feb 2021 14:44
texas wrote:
NCF wrote:

The defense for the Texans sucked on that front outside of JJ. So it was pretty easy to focus on JJ because nobody else on the Texans would have made you pay for it.

Same happened with us honestly. Preston sucked. Lowry sucked. Clark sucked until mid-November. Keke and Adams were injured.

Gary was really the only player who made opponents pay (again until Clark got back to form in December) but Gary only played like 40 snaps a game.
Eh, their ILBs are pretty good right? Maybe not the backup guy that went in when the starter got hurt (drawing a blank on their names right now). But yeah you're correct.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

texas wrote:
28 Feb 2021 14:46
go pak go wrote:
texas wrote:

Eh, their ILBs are pretty good right? Maybe not the backup guy that went in when the starter got hurt (drawing a blank on their names right now). But yeah you're correct.
Would an ILB make an offense not "double" cover a guy in fear the ILB will get through the line?
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
28 Feb 2021 15:09
texas wrote:
28 Feb 2021 14:46
go pak go wrote:

Would an ILB make an offense not "double" cover a guy in fear the ILB will get through the line?
Not really. You can always adjust protection to have a RB pickup the interior blitzer or have the RB/TE chip on the outside and have an interior lineman pickup the LB.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:

as we ran away with the game it was away from Watts, :lol: just like teams run away from Clark, a good OC will always try and wall out great defenders in some way either with a chip or completely in the other direction.

I got a feeling if we do bring in Watts the coaches and Guty will be sold that he can play up to the contract we give him.

though I have mis givings of us suiting up either of Jones or Wattage, ( I'am giving him this nic name simply because I think he could be the spark this defense is lacking :lol: ) I wish we could find a way to have both, JJ would be huge for the defense and we can not afford to lose production on offense, players like Jones force a defense to honor the run, drop a safety, and become vulnerable to PA

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

BF004 wrote:
28 Feb 2021 09:57

A way to spread out the caps hits a bit as well and who knows. Generational talents like him often find a way to stay on the field long after their counterparts succumb to old age. Woodson and Peppers for one.
Just to hard to pass up a softball like this.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Half Empty wrote:
01 Mar 2021 09:13
BF004 wrote:
28 Feb 2021 09:57

Just to hard to pass up a softball like this.
I noticed that as I typed it, but saying for two didn’t sound right. 😛

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
28 Feb 2021 15:34
NCF wrote:

as we ran away with the game it was away from Watts, :lol: just like teams run away from Clark, a good OC will always try and wall out great defenders in some way either with a chip or completely in the other direction.

I got a feeling if we do bring in Watts the coaches and Guty will be sold that he can play up to the contract we give him.
Hold your horses yoop. We ain't getting both Watt brothers. We can only get one Watt. ;)
Yoop wrote:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
01 Mar 2021 09:27
Yoop wrote:
28 Feb 2021 15:34
NCF wrote:

Hold your horses yoop. We ain't getting both Watt brothers. We can only get one Watt. ;)
Light bulbs are coming on.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »