Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
01 Dec 2023 17:42
Labrev wrote:
01 Dec 2023 14:57
It's not a "blunder" to pass up a good/great player when your own moves resulted in acquiring good/great players.

In lieu of drafting Metcalf, we instead picked an elite EDGE player *and* a quality OL.
The blunder was picking Savage instead of Metcalf or AJ Brown.

But overall yes the 2019 draft was a success at the top.
In 2019 the Packers had an ascending Davante Adams, MVS, and Alan Lazard on the roster (among others). Their WR room looked to be a non-priority position. It’s easy to look back today and play the woulda-shoulda game but in the moment the picks they made were very, very reasonable.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
01 Dec 2023 21:39
go pak go wrote:
Labrev wrote:
It's not a "blunder" to pass up a good/great player when your own moves resulted in acquiring good/great players.

In lieu of drafting Metcalf, we instead picked an elite EDGE player *and* a quality OL.

In 2019 the Packers had an ascending Davante Adams, MVS, and Alan Lazard on the roster (among others). Their WR room looked to be a non-priority position. It’s easy to look back today and play the woulda-shoulda game but in the moment the picks they made were very, very reasonable.
I liked the Savage pick at the time, but it also continues to increase my conviction that drafting for players is superior to checking the box on a position. Safety was a bigger need but that class was a better WR class (even though it seemed loaded at safety at the time)

Just draft good players. Of course that is easier said than done.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Labrev wrote:

I certainly remember several people telling me, Yoop, bud fox and other football guys that mvs and Lazard were WR2s and all the packers needed…but many of us did not buy that at all. MVS was fast with no hands from day one. Lazard is a blocker who can’t separate.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Dec 2023 23:02
APB wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I certainly remember several people telling me, Yoop, bud fox and other football guys that mvs and Lazard were WR2s and all the packers needed…but many of us did not buy that at all. MVS was fast with no hands from day one. Lazard is a blocker who can’t separate.
complete horse manure DR.

the chant here since I started complaining about receivers is that who we had was good enough, problem is rarely ever did we have two receivers in any one game go for more then a 100 yrds, and if we lost one rarely ever did another pick up the slack, and we lose.
during this basically 8 year span our GM's spent practically every high pick on defense, and for the most part it's been a failure.
also Adams ascended long before 2019, and neither of MVS or Lazard ascended to anything, I've never said either was a #2 receiver, MVS had a nice rookie season, however his next couple season where not much better, same with Lazard, but obviously that was good enough for this crowd.

mind bending insanity is what this has been, yet rather then complain about these short comings by the GM's, Rodgers got the blame for not turning all these jags into Jordy Nelsons, and was blamed for it every time we lost a big game.

we needed a safety, what we didn't need was Gary, we could have traded back gained another pick and filled every needed position, and still gotten Metcalf, Gary sat behind the Smiths for over 2 seasons, that he is great now didn't help us at all for those two seasons, thats why I hated that pick.

if ya use all the high picks on groomers, by the time they develop it's time to pay them, imo thats something ya do with QB's, high pick edge rushers should be starting at some point as a rookie, I guess that kind of reasoning is lost here, D&D shouldn't mean half the rookie contract for god sakes.

the proof of what I'am saying is the youth of this team, the jags, these fabulous players picked in the last 6 to 8 drafts are no longer here, why? simple, they never amounted to more then jags.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

go pak go wrote:
01 Dec 2023 21:57
APB wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I liked the Savage pick at the time, but it also continues to increase my conviction that drafting for players is superior to checking the box on a position. Safety was a bigger need but that class was a better WR class (even though it seemed loaded at safety at the time)

Just draft good players. Of course that is easier said than done.
To me, Savage has under performed his ability for the most part while here. He has the range and the skills to be an excellent safety. At times he even shows it. I don't view him as the garbage a lot of fans do, he's much better than that, but he's also not close to what his physical ability can allow him to be. Is it the player or the coaching? or both.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Savage just doesn’t have the physicality to his game to be a safety.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
02 Dec 2023 07:02
Drj820 wrote:
APB wrote:

complete horse manure DR.

the chant here since I started complaining about receivers is that who we had was good enough, problem is rarely ever did we have two receivers in any one game go for more then a 100 yrds, and if we lost one rarely ever did another pick up the slack, and we lose.
during this basically 8 year span our GM's spent practically every high pick on defense, and for the most part it's been a failure.
also Adams ascended long before 2019, and neither of MVS or Lazard ascended to anything, I've never said either was a #2 receiver, MVS had a nice rookie season, however his next couple season where not much better, same with Lazard, but obviously that was good enough for this crowd.

mind bending insanity is what this has been, yet rather then complain about these short comings by the GM's, Rodgers got the blame for not turning all these jags into Jordy Nelsons, and was blamed for it every time we lost a big game.

we needed a safety, what we didn't need was Gary, we could have traded back gained another pick and filled every needed position, and still gotten Metcalf, Gary sat behind the Smiths for over 2 seasons, that he is great now didn't help us at all for those two seasons, thats why I hated that pick.

if ya use all the high picks on groomers, by the time they develop it's time to pay them, imo thats something ya do with QB's, high pick edge rushers should be starting at some point as a rookie, I guess that kind of reasoning is lost here, D&D shouldn't mean half the rookie contract for god sakes.

the proof of what I'am saying is the youth of this team, the jags, these fabulous players picked in the last 6 to 8 drafts are no longer here, why? simple, they never amounted to more then jags.

Reread my post. I’m saying that you and I always said we needed more while many on here pretended Lazard and MVS were second comings of steve smith and Deshaun Jackson

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Dec 2023 07:52
eread my post. I’m saying that you and I always said we needed more while many on here pretended Lazard and MVS were second comings of steve smith and Deshaun Jackson
sorry then, I mis read your post, just seemed like you where saying Bud and I called those Jags #2 receivers. :thwap:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:

It's just a useless exercise as a criticism of the GM. Obviously if they knew then what we now then even they would have done it differently too, and would have a 100% pick success rate. Hindsight is 50/50.

Also, I remember which 2019 draft pick we made ahead Metcalf that people on this forum were criticizing at the time i.e. *without* Hindsight Power. Hint: it wasn't Savage!
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
02 Dec 2023 08:21
go pak go wrote:

It's just a useless exercise as a criticism of the GM. Obviously if they knew then what we now then even they would have done it differently too, and would have a 100% pick success rate. Hindsight is 50/50.

Also, I remember which 2019 draft pick we made ahead Metcalf that people on this forum were criticizing at the time i.e. *without* Hindsight Power. Hint: it wasn't Savage!
It is not useless to use hindsight. Yes hindsight is 100% accurate but if a GM sucks a GM sucks and hindsight will show that.

What is clear however is that BG is not in the "sucky GM" category. This year was an inflection point but so far it appears his 2022 and 2023 are nicely complimenting his 2019 draft to build a good squad. If however his 2022 and 2023 draft were to collapse...his failures would then be lumped with the 2018, 2020 and 2021 failures and he would be appropriately fired.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
APB wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I was one of those people. I still stand behind it. That group was good enough to support 2 MVP campaigns by the QB. If they were just scrubs, to the extent that is alleged by their detractors, that wouldn't have been possible.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I don't tend to zero in on this or that player as much as just liking a bunch, I've never said that I know more then any GM, or even anyone else here when it comes to the draft, typically I tend to pick position over BPA because that tends to be how GM's pick most players too, just go look at drafts if ya don't believe me.

we needed a safety as well as a OL in that 019 draft, we had edge rushers up the ying yang, we sure didn't need Gary, and we also needed to improve the WR position, the lame ass argument that this offense had high output during that season and the several that followed, mattered little come PO games, sure we can blame those losses on other things that went wrong, point is this offense was not able to over come any of that, points matter, and those top 3 rarely ever score points.

business take inventory so as to fix or repair things it failed at prior, Guty finally realized ( late) that points producers win games.

how anyone can support his feeble attempts to fix that position prior, and using practically every high pick on defense is mind boggling to me :thwap:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
02 Dec 2023 09:37
Drj820 wrote:
APB wrote:

I was one of those people. I still stand behind it. That group was good enough to support 2 MVP campaigns by the QB. If they were just scrubs, to the extent that is alleged by their detractors, that wouldn't have been possible.
he won those titles for doing more with less then other QB's, it's most valuable player to a teams success, it's not a OPY award which is won over every offensive player

and where are those great player grades for those receiver you and some other here thought where so good? insert picture of toilet right here :rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
02 Dec 2023 09:49
Labrev wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I don't tend to zero in on this or that player as much as just liking a bunch, I've never said that I know more then any GM, or even anyone else here when it comes to the draft, typically I tend to pick position over BPA because that tends to be how GM's pick most players too, just go look at drafts if ya don't believe me.

we needed a safety as well as a OL in that 019 draft, we had edge rushers up the ying yang, we sure didn't need Gary, and we also needed to improve the WR position, the lame ass argument that this offense had high output during that season and the several that followed, mattered little come PO games, sure we can blame those losses on other things that went wrong, point is this offense was not able to over come any of that, points matter, and those top 3 rarely ever score points.

business take inventory so as to fix or repair things it failed at prior, Guty finally realized ( late) that points producers win games.

how anyone can support his feeble attempts to fix that position prior, and using practically every high pick on defense is mind boggling to me :thwap:
It takes very little skill to look at a roster. Find the holes and then do a draft simulator to "fill that hole" for the upcoming season.

Everyone can do it. Everyone can understand it.

Successful people, business leaders and NFL GMs need long range vision and strategy be successful in the long run. This often means making decisions that don't make sense in the immediate because it's an investment that will pay off years later.

No question Gary is an investment that has paid off 2021 and 2023. 2022 would have been a pay off too but a freak injury got in the way. The mear thought that a budding pass rushing star is viewed as a mistake draft pick just aboslutely blows my mind.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
02 Dec 2023 10:03
Yoop wrote:
02 Dec 2023 09:49
Labrev wrote:

It takes very little skill to look at a roster. Find the holes and then do a draft simulator to "fill that hole" for the upcoming season.

Everyone can do it. Everyone can understand it.

Successful people, business leaders and NFL GMs need long range vision and strategy be successful in the long run. This often means making decisions that don't make sense in the immediate because it's an investment that will pay off years later.

No question Gary is an investment that has paid off 2021 and 2023. 2022 would have been a pay off too but a freak injury got in the way. The mear thought that a budding pass rushing star is viewed as a mistake draft pick just aboslutely blows my mind.
ya can draft for the present as well as the future, GM's do so all the time, we used slot 8 on one of the hardest transition positions with BJ Raji, he played well right away, same with Mathews, the biggest reason players rank top 10 isn't just about what they can groom up to be, no, it's how ready they are to contribute right then, grooming is what you expect to have to do with later round picks.

when a business needs a ready made supervisor, they can't afford two 3 years to groom a college grad, same thing, the long range goal is for the college guy, a business can't operate solely with OJT, same with a football team.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
02 Dec 2023 09:37
Drj820 wrote:
APB wrote:

This is where you would fall if you don’t just want to give the QB credit and recognize he gotta lot of scrubs paid.

I remember time after time watching rodgers put it right on Lazard when Lazard had practically no seperation. Most of the time Lazard would catch it too. Credit it to him.

I think Rodgers liked Lazard because he was where he was supposed to be whether he was open or not.

The problem is that a qb like rodgers has the confidence and accuracy to put it right on him even if he wasn’t open. A guy like a Wilson or almost any other qb does not have the confidence or skill to complete passes to someone that isn’t open.

So yes, rodgers making lazard productive is totally a feather in rodgers cap that shows off his skill

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Come on back buddy

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Maybe.

Depends if he is willing to actually tackle like 19-21, and not like his 22 version.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
02 Dec 2023 10:28

when a business needs a ready made supervisor, they can't afford two 3 years to groom a college grad, same thing, the long range goal is for the college guy, a business can't operate solely with OJT, same with a football team.
Soooo.....free agency?

:aok: :aok: :aok:
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
02 Dec 2023 13:13
Maybe.

Depends if he is willing to actually tackle like 19-21, and not like his 22 version.
Can’t miss tackles if you no longer have the legs to get to the ball. He’s washed.

Read More. Post Less.