Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Honestly I am petrified to say this because yoop will use this as ammo for the next 5 years.

But yoop you have your entire theory wrong. You hate we haven't addressed WR enough and you are fixated on Rashan Gary so you are correlating overdrafting of EDGE and DL because you are making a connection of Rashan Gary when Z Smith was just signed = BAD.

But if you really want to complain about poor drafting and poor positional management in the Ted Thompson and Gutekunst era, you need to focus on the one position group the Packers have actually invested heavily in and have gotten TERRIBLE results from their investment: and that is the secondary

There is a philosophy of team building:

1. Find the guy who throws the ball
2. Find the guy who protects the guy who throws the ball
3. Find the guy who catches the ball from the guy who throws the ball
4. Find the guy to pressure the guy who throws the ball
5. Find the guy who covers the guy who catches the ball from the guy who throws the ball

The Packers have invested HEAVILY in #5 and quite frankly suck at it.

Since 2014: Packers draft picks 1st 3 rounds

Safeties: 3 (Clinton Dix, Jones, Savage)
Cornerbacks: 6 (Randall, Rollins, King, Alexander, Jackson, Stokes)

Failing over and over on the secondary has forced us to address the secondary again (meanwhile neglecting other positions like WR) and also is the reason a lot of our dreams didn't come true.

Clinton Dix failed the 2 point conversion in Seattle (lost the SB)
Savage couldn't make the play vs Tampa (lost the SB)
King allowed the bomb in the EZ before half vs Tampa (lost the SB)

The most egregious act the Packers Front Office ACTUALLY did in the last 10 years is the absolute f*ck up of the secondary. They let our good players walk (Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde) and drafted sh*tty players to replace them. Sprinkle in some injuries to Sam Shields and you get the cluster (like Ladarius Gunter being our #1 CB in the 2016 NFC Championship Game) we have experienced in the secondary for a decade (something that was our major strength until 2014)
Last edited by go pak go on 03 Dec 2023 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Dec 2023 11:23
Yoop wrote:
03 Dec 2023 10:45
go pak go wrote:
03 Dec 2023 10:28

Let's use your 8 years and look at the numbers

Last 8 Drafts Facts - Draft position in first 3 rounds

Outside Linebacker / EDGE: 3 (LVN, Gary, Fackrell)

Interior DL: 3 (Wyatt, M. Adams, K Clark)

Wide Receiver: 3 (Reed, Watson, Rodgers)

Tight End: 4 (Musgrave, Kraft, Deguara, Sternberger)

Seems they address your pass catchers as much, if not more, than your edge rushers and big DL by just looking at numbers.
those players weren't even on the team in the 8 yr span I referenced, and it was also a generic statement.
Okay. 8 Year Span from 2014 - 2021 to meet yoop's complaining timeline

Outside Linebacker / EDGE: 2 (Gary, Fackrell)

Interior DL: 3 (M. Adams, K Clark, K Thornton)

Wide Receiver: 3 (Rodgers, Montgomery, D Adams)

Tight End: 3 (Deguara, Sternberger, R Rodgers)

Seems they address your pass catchers as much, if not more, than your edge rushers and big DL by just looking at numbers.
why do this to yourself GPG, only a fool would even consider debating our totally lop sided drafts the last decade, it's not just top draft picks, it's almost entire drafts for crying out loud that where devoted almost exclusively defense, rather then list all these names simply look at the whole of the draft classes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay ... ft_history

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Dec 2023 11:31
But yoop you have your entire theory wrong. You hate we haven't addressed WR enough and you are fixated on Rashan Gary so you are correlating overdrafting of EDGE and DL because you are making a connection of Rashan Gary when Z Smith was just signed = BAD.
Gary was simply just the latest example of idiocy drafting defense almost all the time.

maybe we should pay so draft service to pick our defensive players, since our GM's miss on the picks 5 to 1

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Why do we keep going round and round about Gary? Neither Smith was a sure thing when we picked Gary. We were down to no viable OLBs going into that year. Picking Rashan Gary at 12 was not a bad pick at the time or in hindsight.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
03 Dec 2023 11:41
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

those players weren't even on the team in the 8 yr span I referenced, and it was also a generic statement.

why do this to yourself GPG, only a fool would even consider debating our totally lop sided drafts the last decade, it's not just top draft picks, it's almost entire drafts for crying out loud that where devoted almost exclusively defense, rather then list all these names simply look at the whole of the draft classes.

Because when you actually look at a problem and its data...you start to arrive to actual and real answers.

You are convinced we invest too heavily in defensive front 7's when the data shows this is wrong. You are complaining about the wrong thing.

The issue. The number one issue the Packers front office has screwed up terrible since 2014 is its treatment of the secondary. The Green Bay Packers are just so bad it the last 10 years. I mean TERRIBLE at it. Our entire secondary is comprised of 1 successful draft pick and 1 successful free agent. That is a terrible record of results.

So much investment for such little results. That is your smoking gun. That is your true reason to complain and that is why guys like lupe call our GMs "cheeks"
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

2014 - 5/9 on offense
2015 - 4/8 on offense
2016 - 3/7 on offense
2017 - 6/10 on offense
2018 - 4/11 on offense
2019 - 3/8 on offense
2020 - 6/9 on offense
2021 - 5/9 on offense

A year here and there, but pretty well balanced, especially under Ted. I think the point you are trying to make is at the top of these drafts. If we assigned a weight by Round, I would expect it to lean far more heavily towards the defense with the exception of 2020 (2023 also definitely fits the bill despite LVN being the first player drafted).

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
03 Dec 2023 11:57
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

2014 - 5/9 on offense
2015 - 4/8 on offense
2016 - 3/7 on offense
2017 - 6/10 on offense
2018 - 4/11 on offense
2019 - 3/8 on offense
2020 - 6/9 on offense
2021 - 5/9 on offense

A year here and there, but pretty well balanced, especially under Ted. I think the point you are trying to make is at the top of these drafts. If we assigned a weight by Round, I would expect it to lean far more heavily towards the defense with the exception of 2020 (2023 also definitely fits the bill despite LVN being the first player drafted).
I'am debating to many here, my original message was just that, for the positions most likely to be able to contribute the soonest, we draft defense, and several of them where not ready to play, some never where ready to play, yet according to some here, it's better to stock pile edge rushers then it is WR's, how can a fan of this game even comprehend such logic, I can't. :idn:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
03 Dec 2023 13:15
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:

2014 - 5/9 on offense
2015 - 4/8 on offense
2016 - 3/7 on offense
2017 - 6/10 on offense
2018 - 4/11 on offense
2019 - 3/8 on offense
2020 - 6/9 on offense
2021 - 5/9 on offense

I'am debating to many here, my original message was just that, for the positions most likely to be able to contribute the soonest, we draft defense, and several of them where not ready to play, some never where ready to play, yet according to some here, it's better to stock pile edge rushers then it is WR's, how can a fan of this game even comprehend such logic, I can't. :idn:
Nope. We drafted CBs and safeties who sucked.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Dec 2023 13:23
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:

2014 - 5/9 on offense
2015 - 4/8 on offense
2016 - 3/7 on offense
2017 - 6/10 on offense
2018 - 4/11 on offense
2019 - 3/8 on offense
2020 - 6/9 on offense
2021 - 5/9 on offense

I keep forgetting that CB's and safety's also catch footballs :bkw: if your drafting them then obviously your not drafting WR's are you.

for all the defensive misses and there not just DB's we could have built the most potent offense this league has seen in decades, instead we asked a very very good QB to make do with Adams and a &%$@ load of scabs, it has to go down as some of the most inept team building since the 70's and 80's and and thats what you support.

I was told to allow others there opinion, you can keep yours :thwap:

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

You can never draft enough offensive or defensive line talent. The game is still won in the trenches!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
03 Dec 2023 13:36
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I keep forgetting that CB's and safety's also catch footballs :bkw: if your drafting them then obviously your not drafting WR's are you.
Exactly. So yell at the right thing. Yell at the front office for screwing up the secondary, over drafting the secondary, and sucking at drafting the secondary instead of complain about Rashan Gary and our defensive front 7.

The secondary focus and failure is why you don't have WRs.

It makes far more sense to complain about the Randall, Rollins, King, Jones, Jackson, Savage and maybe even Stokes selections over not getting a WR because those players suck. They were bad draft picks.

It does not make sense to complain about one of the best edge rushers in the league and someone who just came off a 3 sack and 2 FF performance.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Dec 2023 14:24
Yoop wrote:
03 Dec 2023 13:36
go pak go wrote:

Exactly. So yell at the right thing. Yell at the front office for screwing up the secondary, over drafting the secondary, and sucking at drafting the secondary instead of complain about Rashan Gary and our defensive front 7.

The secondary focus and failure is why you don't have WRs.

It makes far more sense to complain about the Randall, Rollins, King, Jones, Jackson, Savage and maybe even Stokes selections over not getting a WR because those players suck. They were bad draft picks.

It does not make sense to complain about one of the best edge rushers in the league and someone who just came off a 3 sack and 2 FF performance.
again I brought Gary up simply because he exemplifies picking defense over picking offense, we didn't have to pick him, there are alternatives, such as trading back, unfortunate that when he was finally contributing he became injured which added to his very slow start, so out of a 5 year contract we lost half of it, I personally believe ya need more production from a slot 12 pick.

Gary though is just one of many defensive picks thats left me less then thrilled, and your right most are DB's.

I like the Billy B's team building tactics, build offense, buy defense, we do that pretty good to sometimes, we just peddled a great example with Douglas, we did pretty good with Reed. it seemed so futile to watch us pick defense heavy year after year as other just as needy position is over looked.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

This made me laugh and think of you, [mention]lupedafiasco[/mention] :lol:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
04 Dec 2023 11:37
This made me laugh and think of you, @lupedafiasco :lol:

I’ve said several times over his last two drafts have been fantastic. But when we were in the cusp of a SB he absolutely blew it on 3 separate occasions with bad drafts.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Dec 2023 12:34
APB wrote:

I’ve said several times over his last two drafts have been fantastic. But when we were in the cusp of a SB he absolutely blew it on 3 separate occasions with bad drafts.
If Love keeps it up, you'll be down to 2 separate occasions....

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

image.png
image.png (9.76 KiB) Viewed 385 times
2020 looking decent now!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
04 Dec 2023 12:35
lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Dec 2023 12:34
APB wrote:

If Love keeps it up, you'll be down to 2 separate occasions....
Its still a pick that gave us no value in a championship window.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »